Memo to the AFL: As fans, all we want is consistency

Remove this Banner Ad

Fadge

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
I was watching the Carlton v. Collingwood game yesterday an my emotions ebbed between angst, frustration and disbelief at some of the 'interpretations' made by the umpires, particularly during the third quarter.

If a 40/60 deliberate out of bounds is paid up one end of the ground, surely two minutes later a 50/50 deliberate out of bounds must be paid at the other end of the ground?

If a 25/75 push in the back is paid in favour of Carlton, surely a 60/40 push in the back must be paid two minutes later in favour of Collingwood?

Surely if you pay two 40/60 'dangerous tackles' against Collingwood, surely you should be paying a 50/50 'dangerous tackle' against Carlton that happens in the same game? (for what it's worth, I've just had a look at the 2015 Laws of the game pdf file, and there is no reference to 'dangerous tackling').

Or is it ok for umpires to award some dubious decisions in favour of the trailing team in order to maintain a contest for as long as possible?

I personally umpire junior football matches as a 'parent umpire', and the first thing I do when I arrive at the ground is discuss and agree with the parent umpire from the opposition team how we will enforce the 'controversial rules' in relation to modified tackling and zoning. I have my own personal opinion on how these rules should be adjudicated, but sometimes there needs to be some give and take to ensure we as umpires are consistent (which is the most important thing). Once we have agreed on how we will be applying the rules, we both cover this of with our respective teams.

There just doesn't seem to be the concept as umpires working as a team on gameday in the AFL - ensuring rules where there will always be a degree of interpretation are applied consistently, at least for the duration of the game.

Is the concept of consistent interpretation and application of the rules really that difficult?

This is not true.

I don't want consistently applied stupid rules. E.g. I want them to go back to the old interpretation of holding the ball where prior opportunity matters, players aren't allowed to simply drop the ball when tackled, and guys lying on the bottom of a pack don't get pinged for no apparent reason.

What most fans want is finals type umpiring all year around. Let the little stuff go, don't be the centre of attention, just pay the really obvious ones and STFU.

Last night at the Cats v Swans game we saw inconsistency by umpires at its glaring best. A Swan hand balled the football through Geelong's goals from........20 metres out. Umpire called it a rushed behind. The Swan had options galore and at 20 metres out, a deliberate behind should have been the very last option.

Not long after, I think it was Caddy who, under pressure, kicked the ball in the direction if the boundary. Deemed deliberate.

I don't know if it was the same umpire, but even if it wasn't you'd think they would agree on basic principles beforehand. It's almost like the umpires are guessing

Last night at the Cats v Swans game we saw inconsistency by umpires at its glaring best. A Swan hand balled the football through Geelong's goals from........20 metres out. Umpire called it a rushed behind. The Swan had options galore and at 20 metres out, a deliberate behind should have been the very last option.

Not long after, I think it was Caddy who, under pressure, kicked the ball in the direction if the boundary. Deemed deliberate.

I don't know if it was the same umpire, but even if it wasn't you'd think they would agree on basic principles beforehand. It's almost like the umpires are guessing
Out of all the examples you could have picked from last night you pick the one where the swans player handled it within 5 metres of a teammate who didn't get hands on it and compared it to a guy who kicked it 30 metres directly at the boundary with no teammate with 40 of it.

Out of all the examples you could have picked from last night you pick the one where the swans player handled it within 5 metres of a teammate who didn't get hands on it and compared it to a guy who kicked it 30 metres directly at the boundary with no teammate with 40 of it.
Hey, Caddy's kick looked deliberate and was paid accordingly, but are you telling me a 20 metre handpass the opposition goals was okay? As I said that should have been the last option

Hey, Caddy's kick looked deliberate and was paid accordingly, but are you telling me a 20 metre handpass the opposition goals was okay? As I said that should have been the last option
As I stated. It went sailing past a teammate who didn't react quick enough to take possession of the ball. If there is a player within the vicinity, deliberate will never be paid. The incidents were completely different.

This is not true.

I don't want consistently applied stupid rules. E.g. I want them to go back to the old interpretation of holding the ball where prior opportunity matters, players aren't allowed to simply drop the ball when tackled, and guys lying on the bottom of a pack don't get pinged for no apparent reason.

What most fans want is finals type umpiring all year around. Let the little stuff go, don't be the centre of attention, just pay the really obvious ones and STFU.
Fully agree. However, whether there are ten frees paid in a game or forty, the comment remains the same - we can't have different umpires interpreting the game from polar opposite perspectives. They have to be aligned as one team.

Fully agree. However, whether there are ten frees paid in a game or forty, the comment remains the same - we can't have different umpires interpreting the game from polar opposite perspectives. They have to be aligned as one team.

Even more important that all the umpires having the same interpretation, is having the umpires stop paying the little tiggy 50/50 free kicks and instead focus on the obvious infringements.

I keep being amazed every game in every week how many times umpires will pluck out free kicks over 50/50 situations yet call play on for the most obvious infringements.

Umpiring and inconsistency is as certain as death and taxes.

There are too many interpretations and grey areas in our game, which in turn give the umpires too much influence. This is a blight on the game.

And the bloody rules committee want to continually make chop and changes (makes them feel relevant) which makes it even more confusing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back