Memorable St Kilda matches you attended

Remove this Banner Ad

12Chill

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
What are some of the most memorable St Kilda games that you attended?

I remember going to Andrew Thompson and Fraser Gehrig's retirement game in round 22 of 2007 (Gehrig ended up being persuaded out of retirement to play a couple games the next year though). Remember seeing the G-Train kick 5 and give his guernsey to someone in the crowd. We won 102-92 I think. Gehrig, Kosi and Roo combined for 12 goals that day.

You can include regular games not involving St Kilda too. I sat behind the goals when Joel Bowden infamously took minutes off the clock and rushed behind after behind after behind against Essendon. I also attended the 130-130 draw between the Tigers and Bulldogs in what was early 2008 from memory.

I remember one day at Waverley in the 80's. Can't recall the year or round but those old enough will remember it.... Fred

We were playing Melbourne.
At the coin toss which we lost we had to kick into about a 6 goal breeze which was like a windtunnel through the Demons goals.
By quarter time we were about 6 or 7 goals down as we all thought. Never mind, we've got the wind in the second and will pull that back.
Bugger me dead.... at quarter time the wind completely changed ends and again heading straight down the ground through their goals again. 12 or so goals down by half time.
The boys drudged off the ground shoulders sunken down but looking upwards with a look of "Why did you do that to us ya Pri...".

Those unholy thoughts must have been noticed from the big guy cos at half time it bucketed down rain like I had rarely ever seen before. When the boys headed back out the race for the second half you could read the WTF on their faces.
The heavy rain set in for the rest of the day which brought back memories of the sprinklers at Moorabbin and we never made any inroads to the defecit.

Funny now but as die hard Saints fans it stuffed the whole weekend. At least the rain hid the tears!

I remember one day at Waverley in the 80's. Can't recall the year or round but those old enough will remember it.... Fred

At the coin toss which we lost we had to kick into about a 6 goal breeze which was like a windtunnel through the Demons goals.
By quarter time we were about 6 or 7 goals down as we all thought. Never mind, we've got the wind in the second and will pull that back.
Bugger me dead.... at quarter time the wind completely changed ends and again heading straight down the ground through their goals again. 12 or so goals down by half time.
The boys drudged off the ground shoulders sunken down but looking upwards with a look of "Why did you do that to us ya Pri...".

Those unholy thoughts must have been noticed from the big guy cos at half time it bucketed down rain like I had rarely ever seen before. When the boys headed back out the race for the second half you could read the WTF on their faces.
The heavy rain set in for the rest of the day which brought back memories of the sprinklers at Moorabbin and we never made any inroads to the defecit.

Funny now but as die hard Saints fans it stuffed the whole weekend. At least the rain hid the tears!
My old man went to that game - still cursin!

Unfortunately, given my immigrant background courtesy of the parents (good on them for coming out here though! Owe them a lifetime for their decision), I was too young to go to AFL games by myself while we were gunning it in the 09-10 years. Have been to a couple ripping finals games to watch Port (my best mate goes for them), the Geelong v Port Semi in '13 and last year's preliminary final Port v Hawks.

Been to probably 20+ Saints games the last few years. Really enjoyed the Bombers win this past year, as the crowd was 85% Essendon, it was a great result, and I was dragged to the game by about 4-5 of my mates who go for the cheats - Well worth it in the end.

Also remember in 2012, watching that famous tackle by Lenny on Easton Wood against the bullies, stood out for mine - not to mention Lenny's final game and goal in Melbourne in Rd 22.

I left Melbourne in 1978 and only went to Waverley once, for a game against Hawthorn. I've no idea what year it was now but we lost.

I was at Carl Ditterich's first game and what a revelation it was. He bounded around like a gazelle with boundless energy. I was also at the Richmond game at the Junction Oval in the early 60's when Richmond didn't kick a goal. All the saints fans were on the edge of their seats (those that had seats anyway) during the last quarter hoping they didn't get one.
I also saw probably the last place kick done in the old VFL at the Fitzroy ground by Tony Ongarello.

Last edited:
Never been to a St Kilda game (pardon my intrusion) but would've liked to have gone to the following.

Round 16 2003 vs Norf. (132-127.)
Round 10 2004 vs Carlton. (196-88)
Round 20 2004 vs Norf. (Interesting that both Norf games mentioned involved Gehrig going nuts and kicking goals like crazy.) (147-96.)
Round 17 2005 vs Collingwood. (143-70.)
Round 18 2005 vs Melbourne. (176-88.)
Round 22 2005 vs Brisbane. (186-47.)
Round 17 2006 vs Richmond. (174-71.)

Milne Kosi and Blake's retirement is the best game I have ever been to and one that I doubt will ever be repeated.

2nd best was the Port game in 2013 where we almost came back from at 45 point deficit and I watched Jack Steven rack up 100sc points in a single quarter. Was telling my mate at half time why were even sticking around and then the boys just turned it on somehow. Fantastic football.

2003 - Burkey send off game against Tigers, G-Train winning the game against North with his 9th or 10th goal
2004 - First finals win since 1997
2005 - 139 points against the Lions, going down to Sydney
2008 - Harvey send off game
2009 - QF, PF, Round 1-22 every home game and some away
2010 - QF, PF
2013 - The Milney/Blakey/Kosi show
2014 - Crushing Fremantle 2: Electric Boogaloo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Round 21 1987 at Moorabbin vs. Collingwood. It was one of those warm days you can get in late winter spring and I remember in the carpark the dust swirling around so it was warm and dry. The old grandstand was rocking as we smashed the pies. It was Plugger at his rampaging best in his Brownlow year. Think he kicked 9 or 10 from memory. The highlights being a torpedo from inside the centre square that went through goal post height that I was sitting right behind and when he knocked the point post clean out of the ground and trainers had to hold up the point post until quarter time for the match to continue. Have never seen a more dominant player live than Plugger that day, one of my favourite football memories being in the old Grandstand at Moorabbin watching us smash the pies.

Anyone else at that game?

All the games I went to in 1966 were memorable, and of course the big day. I haven't seen the Saints live much since 1967 because we left Melbourne. But the the Footscray game at Moorabbin in 1987 when Plugger kicked his first ton was a memorable exception. I was there and so glad I was.

In that game against quite a good Dogs team we went behind after Plugger got the ton. We hit the front again in time on, and held on. We had endured dark times, and that day was sweet for long suffering fans.

I remember being at Waverley when I was pretty young, and Trevor Barkers pidgeons were released from the stand. Always stood out to me as a young fella.. I can't remember which game it was though!

For some reason I find the ones with injuries the easiest to remember. Ablett senior beating the head of Bardsley. I was at the cattery when Hocking nearly killed Robert Harvey after lining him up off the square. Stewie Loewe knocking himself out on his own knee about 4 meters from where we were sitting. Winmar's last Saints game where he went nuts on Carlton. Troy Schwartz "goal" versus Brisbane was an epic game. Mines 12 or so goals versus Brisbane was a great game too.

Lucky enough to be at the 'troy schwarze' show against Brisbane. Still to this day the most vocal stkilda crowd I've ever heard.

That was one of the first games I went to. Absolutely amazing atmosphere - I think the crowd was 52,500! :eek::eek: And at the time, I really didn't like Brisbane from their dominant years, so that made it all the sweeter. The game against them at "Telstra Dome" the next year when Milney kicked 11 was pretty special as well.

Actually the lights out at Waverley and another game where the score board caught fire there and no one moved the crowds or set a warning announcement or anything. It just kind of smouldered and burned while the fans just moved a bit further away. So professional in those days.

For some reason I find the ones with injuries the easiest to remember. Ablett senior beating the head of Bardsley. I was at the cattery when Hocking nearly killed Robert Harvey after lining him up off the square. Stewie Loewe knocking himself out on his own knee about 4 meters from where we were sitting. Winmar's last Saints game where he went nuts on Carlton. Troy Schwartz "goal" versus Brisbane was an epic game. Mines 12 or so goals versus Brisbane was a great game too.

And what about the game against Collingwood in 2010 where Rooey did his hamstring and we went on to win. Despite the injury that was pretty special.

And what about the game against Collingwood in 2010 where Rooey did his hamstring and we went on to win. Despite the injury that was pretty special.
Yeah that was massive but there was a sense of doom with how bad it looked. I thought we were done for finals.

There was a final in 92 l think it was and we finished 2nd and Geelong finished 4th, in those days the loser was knocked out after week 1, it was changed the next week, anyway Plugger kicked 8, Brownless 6 and Ablett broke David Grants ribs and then knocked Burkey out (he wore helmet for the rest of his career).
We led all day but ran out of soldiers in the last Q and went down by about 5pts, we lost but still the best game l have witnessed, some stats might be slightly askew going by memory.

The other big day l had was round 1 1967 Dad took me as a 6 year old to watch the flag unfurled which was big because he was a Collingwood supporter.

First game I ever attended live was after I had moved from Sydney to Melbourne in 1988. I was trying to work out whom to support in the VFL. Had always had a soft spot for the Saints, but was living in Richmond at the time, and North wore my RL teams colours. My wifes family were all Footscray supporter (but they were the colours of Eastern Suburbs in Sydney - could never support those colours).

Was taken to Moorabbin in I think April 1988 to see Saints v Melbourne. A bored ruckman with a nickname of WoW was playing for the Saints, a young redhead with skinny arms and a nickname of Jack after the bourbon was playing one of his first games. Rodney Harvey hadn't played his first game. Apparently he later changed his name to Robert.

The thing that turned me into a fanatical Saints fan to this very day was this huge blond bloke knocking over everyone and kicking goals. I thought "if athey let a fat bloke play for this team, it is for me". Saints won, WoW retired, Jack Daniels played for us then Sydney then us again, Rodney Harvey played about two million games for the Saints won two Brownlows and became one of the greatest all time Saints players.

Don't remember what happened to the huge blond number 4 though :)

Other memorable games. Final game at Moorabbin, our first finals win v the filth in 1992 the 1993 win against the filth at Vic park, the 1996 Pre season win, the 2004 game v Brisbane with Wool kicking a 55 metre bomb to win it, the 2005 win against Brisbane with Milne kicking 11 straight, 2009 H&A game v Geelong.

I remember all four Grand Finals but find none of them memorable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back