Memorable St Kilda matches you attended

Remove this Banner Ad

2003 and 2004 against Brisbane at Etihad

03' Power marked it about 30m out directly in front a split second after the siren (won by 5)
04' Schwartz kicked a goal from outside 50m in dying seconds to win by 1 point

i have all the games from 2009 season. i was thinking of uploading them to youtube, 2 games a week. but not sure that would be ok?
that'd be great defacto, i'd enjoy reliving the glory days! Any chance you could chuck up like the 5 best games at least? Cheers

Last edited:
Not a game but Fraser Gehrig was awesome to watch between 2003-06.

It's like he flicked a switched and went into beast mode.

The Mullet was what did it.

He was the quintessential full forward, big beefy bastard who'd knock your block off if you ran in his path. He was also very well skilled as well, his left foot was a thing of beauty.

My favourite game from the past was the 92 Queens Birthday game against Collingwood. 80k crowd, Loewe kicked a soccer goal 45 out on the boundry, half time brawl, Davenport was grabbed by coach Ken Sheldon and abused in front of the MCC members then 5 points down in the last it is he who kicks the winning goal with a banana kick 40m out... Saints win by 1 point.

Other games from the 90's.
Beating Carlton at Princess Park late in 93.
Flogging Carlton in their premiership year in the rain at Waverly in 95 (they didn't get a goal 'til time-on in the 3rd).
Kicking 18.2 and beating Essendon at the G in 94.
Lockett's last game against the Pies in 94, he kicked 8, we won by a couple of points.
LOL was at everyone of those games, Carlton at Princess Park was real good

I remember being at Waverley when I was pretty young, and Trevor Barkers pidgeons were released from the stand. Always stood out to me as a young fella.. I can't remember which game it was though!
Was against the Dogs 1st game after the great Trevor barkers death, I couldn't hold the tears back that day

Seen many memorable games with Plugger doing things no mortal footballer should have done - mainly at Moorabbin. I lived in London from 1996 - 2010 so apart from seeing 4 games or so live I had to depend on AFL radio. I was back in Melbourne to watch Gia take out Kosi from about 200 metres away...

I remember sitting in the main grandstand at Moorabbin for years in front of some blue rinse old ladies who could swear like troopers. Later I was sitting outside at the Halo coterie in the forward pocket opposite the score board watching Spider Everitt tear it up in the two's and saying to people that he was going to be a gun. I also remember Dean Rice kicking goal of the year from that same pocket also in the Two's facing away from the goal and kicking the ball over his head from about 45 metres out on the boundary line

I remember going to Princess Park against Carlscum when Mad Dog Muir got reported 276 times by umpire Kevin Smith

I remember going to Victoria Park, (that was a nasty place where they'd spit on you), and watching Nicky Winmar raising his shirt. Although I was just a kid I do remember thinking I was watching history in the present (oooh deep)

I do remember the Adelaide game at Moorabbin in the very early 90's where we won by 132 points. I think that was the first time I'd seen a Saints side demolish an opposition. Normally it was the other way around - well certainly in the 1980's that was the norm

I remember a season in 1985 I think where we lost the first 5 or 6 games by over 100 points and we went to just about all of them (memorable for the wrong reason I suppose)

Well at least it has never been boring being a St Kilda supporter!!

EDIT: Yeah the Barker tribute game needs to be included....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

104373_ce53aa8aa7dd37bb209174ee40cd8ed8.jpg

I actually found TV camera footage from the other side so you can see the Adelaide players face as angry Fraser charged at him.
IFUHYxT.jpg

Plenty of the recent ones that have already been mentioned, especially player farewell games.

At high school a couple of classmates were Saints fans so got to see a few games at Moorabbin. This was in about 1987 though - so nothing much memorable there!

The 2004 Carlton game always sticks in my mind. A group of us from those school days (including Carlton fans) went. We had great seats and the Carlton guys were shell-shocked as we utterly destroyed them. Remember Falchoon ? In the standing area were these drunk Carlton fans shouting "...you're still losers!". With the decade we had after that compared to what they've had I wonder if they feel the same way?

I started Uni in 1990. This means nothing except that the guys I became good mates with were (almost) all Collingwood supporters! Well - after that drought was broken, it was painful to sit there listening to these people re-living their flag, day after day after day. In 1992 I finally managed to shut them all up when we went to the Second Elimination Final at Waverley. Saints led all day but it was a real nail-biter. Plus - one of the Collingwood boys had his 21st that night. Not a happy man at the party...

Plenty of the recent ones that have already been mentioned, especially player farewell games.

At high school a couple of classmates were Saints fans so got to see a few games at Moorabbin. This was in about 1987 though - so nothing much memorable there!

The 2004 Carlton game always sticks in my mind. A group of us from those school days (including Carlton fans) went. We had great seats and the Carlton guys were shell-shocked as we utterly destroyed them. Remember Falchoon ?

Yes I do, that was the day Fev started at fullback on Gehrig, Gehrig kicked five, had one disallowed for a nudge and one disallowed for a free elsewhere. All in the first quarter.

For the trivia fans it's still the highest score Carlton have ever conceded.

A kangaroos game... Harvey to Gehrig

Vs Brisbane when Aussie kicked a point

Vs Geelong in 09

Bulldogs prelim

Round 22 vs Essendon in 2008, Harvey's last home and away game. A few weeks earlier we were out of the 8, but we had surged home to be in 5th level on points with Adelaide but like 10 percentage points behind. They beat the Bulldogs on Saturday to seemingly secure the top 4 spot, we'd have to beat the Bombers by 100+ points, which no one thought we could do, to make top 4.

Well we did it alright, one of the most one sided games I've ever seen. Milney kicked 7 I think, Riewoldt was unstoppable, our midfield was on fire and Jason Gram was casually waltzing up the field and dobbing goals from everywhere. In the 4th Essendon had well and truly packed it in whilst we were still going hard, eventually the live ladder came up with us sliding ahead and got a cheer, was amazing.

Was trying to think of other memorable games I'd seen (I don't get to many unfortunately) and remembered round 10 vs Adelaide back in 2010. It was a close game for 3 quarters before we ran away in the last in front of a smallish crowd, relatively unremarkable apart from one thing: The performance of Leigh Montagna. People scoff when I say his best footy was as good as Gary Ablett Jnr's, they obviously forget this performance. 38 touches and 5 goals, he absolutely ran rampant and could not be stopped.

Anyway I found this highlights video, worth a watch but even this doesn't compare to just how dominant he seemed from being at the game.

Round 22 vs Essendon in 2008, Harvey's last home and away game. A few weeks earlier we were out of the 8, but we had surged home to be in 5th level on points with Adelaide but like 10 percentage points behind. They beat the Bulldogs on Saturday to seemingly secure the top 4 spot, we'd have to beat the Bombers by 100+ points, which no one thought we could do, to make top 4.
Ah yes I remember after the Adelaide game they were interviewing Bassett because it was his last home and away game and he mentioned that it was good to get a top 4 spot and looking forward to playing Geelong at the MCG and getting a second chance... nek minut lose an elimination final to Collingwood at home.

Robert Harvey's 350th at Subiaco was brilliant. A mate got a signed jumper from Harvs which is now framed at my house.

Also a win against West Coast at Subiaco in 1998 where we trailed late in the game and kicked 4 in a row to win in time on. Healy and Spider both kicked 6.

Was against the Dogs 1st game after the great Trevor barkers death, I couldn't hold the tears back that day
Yeah Mowman that was a bloody sad day:(
I remember they let some pigeons go before the game for Barks. Everybody stood up in respect and a lot of people shed tears. I kept my sunnies on all day trying to hide my eyes cos I couldn't stop the tears.
Even more tragic was I had some bloke sitting behind me with a radio and I heard him say to his mate "apparently some bloke in tassie has shot a few people and the police are looking for him".
This of course was the tragedy in Port Arthur..During a few news flashes on the radio I could hear the bloke behind me saying the total of people dead was rising. By the time I got in the car and heard just how many people had died I was stunned.
I'll never forget that day.
The only good news from the footy that day was the way the Saints players stood tall for Barks. I remember Stewie Loewe tearing the doggies a new one and kicked a big bag.
But It was a sad day to be a Saints fan and a sad day for all Australians.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back