Universal Love Memory Lane: 1990 premiership

jonbe54

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 18, 2009
Rural paradise
AFL Club
Collingwood
Until I witnessed the birth of my first son in 2001, the 1990 G.F. was easily the best day of my life. I originally posted my 1990 story in the "sneaking into the grandfinal" thread. Here it is again.

It was October 1990, I was 17 and Collingwood were playing in the Grand Final. I didn't have a ticket but I knew I was going to that game. On the Thursday morning I caught a train from Blackheath to Sydney, then a flight to Melbourne and a train to Upper Ferntree Gully. I gave Granny & Gramps a big hug, smashed some tea n' scones, declared my intentions to them and hightailed it out of there. Within a couple of hours I was at Victoria Park in a state of absolute bliss, amongst a huge Magpie army watching the final training session.

When Saturday rolled around I still didn't have a ticket but with $120 cash in my pocket there was no doubt in my mind I would be sitting inside the MCG by 2PM.

I left Upper Ferntree Gully that morning by train and was walking and watching with intent outside the Hallowed Ground by about 9.30-10.00am. After about an hour and a half I had nothing, not even a sniff of a ticket, my optimism had evaporated and a feeling of panic was starting to set in. Then it came like music to my ears, the sound I was waiting for, the call of the scalper not too loud but not too soft.... a bit like a dog whistle "tickets! anyone want to buy a ticket?". The negotiation lasted about ten seconds: I offered him $60, he demanded $80, it was a no brainer! The ticket was for "STANDING ROOM ONLY" and had a price of $14 on it.

The guy at the gate liked the look of my ticket and let me straight in. The MCG was virtually empty at this point, from memory I think it was around 11.00 to 11.30am and many of the guards at the gates between the Grandstands either weren't there or weren't paying attention. So like a ninja I explored all the potential vantage points until I found myself sitting on an empty bench only a couple of rows back from the font of the first tier level right above the goal posts.

When the umpire bounced the ball at the start of play I was clenching on to the end of that bench with less than half an arse cheek only thanks to the mercy of a group of four of five men who must have walked straight out of the bar 2 minutes before play and claimed my spot on the bench. But 4 odd inches was all I needed to enjoy the biggest game of my life. I was nervous when Paul Salmon booted the first two goals of the match right below me, shocked to see Gavin Brown lying on the ground motionless in the middle of the brawl at quarter time and ecstatic when Daicos threaded his first goal through at the opposite end of the ground.

After the final siren I worked my way down to the seats on ground level below and mingled with the Collingwood Cheer Squad. They were crying and I cried with them. What a great day!

There were reports on the news after the game that a some people had been arrested for forging and selling grand final tickets and that several of the fake tickets had been sold on the day. I've always suspected that the ticket I bought was a dodgy one but I guess we'll never know.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Epic damn day party:thumbsu:

Oct 8, 2004
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
COLLINGWOOD
Does anyone have photos from the game that they took themselves? That would be great to see.

482713_318684321594308_1039409877_n.png
216324_368446673284739_1689852727_n.jpg
1011309_357411084388298_96620542_n.jpg

Note: No that is not me crashed out under the flag.

Someone made a thread about this fb page a while back and it got no love. Don't understand why because it is brilliant. Check it out.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.334204633375610.1073741850.237019053094169&type=3

Was one of the greatest days of my life without doubt.

That walk from the ground back to the massive party at Vic Park was the most epic experience of all time. The unbridled joy on peoples faces, the feeling of walking on air. It was incredible and I'm tearing up just thinking about it.

2010 replay was absolutely brilliant but nothing compares to the 1990 win.

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
The highlight for me was the semi final two weeks earlier. I knew we had Essendons measure and if we met them again in the GF we'd have a strong chance of winning it.

The Esssendon bubble burst in one comical incident where Madden and (from memory) Kickett were in possession of the ball across half back. All they could do was handball to each other and back again as all the upfield options were shut down. Streaming through the middle of them came Scott Russell to intercept the ball and kick a goal from 35 metres out.

From that moment on I knew Essendon were toast. I reckon they knew it too, and they played like it in the GF with Daniher forced to go the knuckle as a last resort.

PieNSauce

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 22, 2007
Sunshine Coast
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
are jealous!
The highlight for me was the semi final two weeks earlier. I knew we had Essendons measure and if we met them again in the GF we'd have a strong chance of winning it.

The Esssendon bubble burst in one comical incident where Madden and (from memory) Kickett were in possession of the ball across half back. All they could do was handball to each other and back again as all the upfield options were shut down. Streaming through the middle of them came Scott Russell to intercept the ball and kick a goal from 35 metres out.

From that moment on I knew Essendon were toast. I reckon they knew it too, and they played like it in the GF with Daniher forced to go the knuckle as a last resort.
Dare I say it you must be a lot younger than I or at least a massive optimist. Perhaps too young to have witnessed decades of dead certainties that evaporated into thin air on that last day in September. If not then you are far better at ignoring history and omens than I was. I'm pretty sure that it wasn't until there were less minutes left in the last quarter than goals required to lose that I was convinced we had actually done it. I don't know why but right up until today I have believed that we kind of pinched that one from a superior team thanks very much to the draw with West Coast. Although, results might suggest otherwise, Essendon was the one team I feared in that finals series and I was always pretty sure that they would give us a big shake in the GF. In reality, they failed to fire a shot after quarter time.

On that note, I hate to think how security would have stopped me jumping the fence at quarter time had I been there. One T. Daniher would have wanted to see me coming! He may have been far bigger and stronger than I was but you can bet he'd have got my best. For the record, I will never forgive him any more than I would forgive O'Dea.

It wasn't until that Barwick goal that I was convinced. Farck that build up of noise from then was orgasmic.

I remember Daics saying later that in the last 5 mins when he knew we had won that he removed his mouthguard and turned back towards the stands from his point at around FF and took it all in. The people singing, crying and showing sheer joy. Says he will never forget it.

jonbe54

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 18, 2009
Rural paradise
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yep Douggies last goal was the sealer, knew not even the footy gods could take it away then.

It's funny though because the first split second reaction for me as a Pies man for 25 years of failing at the ultimate hurdle was one of unatterable relief. Too often we had got ourselves into winning chances only to have the improbable happen to steal it away from us.

Then the joy kicked in and I almost blew a couple of gaskets lol

If I hadn't of had my son with me that day I'm not sure what I would have done after the game but it would have certainly been speccy, such an occasion and such a result demanded no less :)

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
Dare I say it you must be a lot younger than I or at least a massive optimist. Perhaps too young to have witnessed decades of dead certainties that evaporated into thin air on that last day in September. If not then you are far better at ignoring history and omens than I was. I'm pretty sure that it wasn't until there were less minutes left in the last quarter than goals required to lose that I was convinced we had actually done it. I don't know why but right up until today I have believed that we kind of pinched that one from a superior team thanks very much to the draw with West Coast. Although, results might suggest otherwise, Essendon was the one team I feared in that finals series and I was always pretty sure that they would give us a big shake in the GF. In reality, they failed to fire a shot after quarter time.

On that note, I hate to think how security would have stopped me jumping the fence at quarter time had I been there. One T. Daniher would have wanted to see me coming! He may have been far bigger and stronger than I was but you can bet he'd have got my best. For the record, I will never forgive him any more than I would forgive O'Dea.

No, I've seen it all. But I just knew we had Essendons measure. I was at the game at VFL Park where we lost by five points and it was amazing to see how far backwards they had gone by September. Emotionally that incident ripped the guts out of them.....much like Rhyce Shaw losing the ball in 2002 or Nick Riewoldts show-pony point blank shot on goal getting spoiled by Heath Shaw. Sometimes moments defind games and seasons.

Not that I was walking around in GF week saying "the flag is ours" or anything.....lid was on right up until the second last goal of the match!! (Who was the second last goal....Crosisca? Francis?)

(edit, Barwick...just read the post above...doh)

Mar 23, 2010
Section 24 subsection B3 JUST GOT REPEALED.
AFL Club
Collingwood

No, I've seen it all. But I just knew we had Essendons measure. I was at the game at VFL Park where we lost by five points and it was amazing to see how far backwards they had gone by September. Emotionally that incident ripped the guts out of them.....much like Rhyce Shaw losing the ball in 2002 or Nick Riewoldts show-pony point blank shot on goal getting spoiled by Heath Shaw. Sometimes moments defind games and seasons.

Not that I was walking around in GF week saying "the flag is ours" or anything.....lid was on right up until the second last goal of the match!! (Who was the second last goal....Crosisca? Francis?)

I agree with timmy. ive said many times here I approached the day full of confidence - all stemming from our brilliance 2nd semi day. the gods had released us when we drew that 1st final, ensuring many Essendon players had far too long a down period - some over 4 weeks. and for the 1st time in many GF's we had won the 2nd semi, ensuring a much needed rest. I feared more the world below the G would open up, rather than some stupid wobble related event.

also the day before, after 2 weeks of nerves, this amazing calm feeling descended on me. I slept well, felt great on the day.

I just don't remember a damn thing. :(

Hinequarters

Club Legend
Suspended
Oct 23, 2013
In my pants
AFL Club
Collingwood
Sheedy just had to have the record for the most brothers played in one match and rested all his stars in the last game of the year to play all 4 Daniher brothers.. and when our finals match against WC was a draw and we had to replay the match suddenly Essendon players went 3 weeks without a game.. their match fitness was shot :p

PieNSauce

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 22, 2007
Sunshine Coast
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
are jealous!

I agree with timmy. ive said many times here I approached the day full of confidence - all stemming from our brilliance 2nd semi day. the gods had released us when we drew that 1st final, ensuring many Essendon players had far too long a down period - some over 4 weeks. and for the 1st time in many GF's we had won the 2nd semi, ensuring a much needed rest. I feared more the world below the G would open up, rather than some stupid wobble related event.

also the day before, after 2 weeks of nerves, this amazing calm feeling descended on me. I slept well, felt great on the day.

I just don't remember a damn thing. :(
As I said, you clearly had far more confidence than I did. By the Saturday, after having watched our draw and replay with West Coast my nerves were shot to pieces. Of course my confidence did rise as the match went on but I would be lying if I said I was totally at peace until very late in the last quarter. Anyway, it's all history now and much of it is a blur thanks to the extended celebrations that followed. Somewhere I think I still have a copy of the souvenir book that was put together by Geoff Slattery a week or two later. I must go and find it some time and have another read to further refresh the memory or maybe I will just go and watch the Road To Victory DVD followed by the game video. Again! :D

raymond35

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood vfl
Until I witnessed the birth of my first son in 2001, the 1990 G.F. was easily the best day of my life. I originally posted my 1990 story in the "sneaking into the grandfinal" thread. Here it is again.

It was October 1990, I was 17 and Collingwood were playing in the Grand Final. I didn't have a ticket but I knew I was going to that game. On the Thursday morning I caught a train from Blackheath to Sydney, then a flight to Melbourne and a train to Upper Ferntree Gully. I gave Granny & Gramps a big hug, smashed some tea n' scones, declared my intentions to them and hightailed it out of there. Within a couple of hours I was at Victoria Park in a state of absolute bliss, amongst a huge Magpie army watching the final training session.

When Saturday rolled around I still didn't have a ticket but with $120 cash in my pocket there was no doubt in my mind I would be sitting inside the MCG by 2PM.

I left Upper Ferntree Gully that morning by train and was walking and watching with intent outside the Hallowed Ground by about 9.30-10.00am. After about an hour and a half I had nothing, not even a sniff of a ticket, my optimism had evaporated and a feeling of panic was starting to set in. Then it came like music to my ears, the sound I was waiting for, the call of the scalper not too loud but not too soft.... a bit like a dog whistle "tickets! anyone want to buy a ticket?". The negotiation lasted about ten seconds: I offered him $60, he demanded $80, it was a no brainer! The ticket was for "STANDING ROOM ONLY" and had a price of $14 on it.

The guy at the gate liked the look of my ticket and let me straight in. The MCG was virtually empty at this point, from memory I think it was around 11.00 to 11.30am and many of the guards at the gates between the Grandstands either weren't there or weren't paying attention. So like a ninja I explored all the potential vantage points until I found myself sitting on an empty bench only a couple of rows back from the font of the first tier level right above the goal posts.

When the umpire bounced the ball at the start of play I was clenching on to the end of that bench with less than half an arse cheek only thanks to the mercy of a group of four of five men who must have walked straight out of the bar 2 minutes before play and claimed my spot on the bench. But 4 odd inches was all I needed to enjoy the biggest game of my life. I was nervous when Paul Salmon booted the first two goals of the match right below me, shocked to see Gavin Brown lying on the ground motionless in the middle of the brawl at quarter time and ecstatic when Daicos threaded his first goal through at the opposite end of the ground.

After the final siren I worked my way down to the seats on ground level below and mingled with the Collingwood Cheer Squad. They were crying and I cried with them. What a great day!

There were reports on the news after the game that a some people had been arrested for forging and selling grand final tickets and that several of the fake tickets had been sold on the day. I've always suspected that the ticket I bought was a dodgy one but I guess we'll never know.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

wow! the best day of my life was the birth of my son in 2001 and the second best was the 1990 grand final. we must be the same person from parallel universes or something. I got into the gf with vfl park membership, but did go to the semi final with a scalpers ticket. interesting how much I remember of that amazing day, when entire years afterwards are a blank.

I've posted on these boards before on this subject but for any who have missed it here we go again :rolleyes:

GF day finally dawned for me after waking at around 4:30 A.M. By the time wife and son woke up I had already downed 3 coffee's and was buzzing around ourl little cottage in Seddon like an agitated wasp, not even capable of settling down enough play my favourite PC game Elite.

My son was up at 6, wildly excited at going to his first GF and wifey surfaced at around 8 by which time son and I had had brekky and scanned the newspapers for news about the game. All our gear was organized by 10 and it was time to ring my sister to come and pick us up and head for the G.

It started to hit home then we were in yet another GF and Essendon were a daunting opponent, could we win it? It's sort of like the time you proposed to your girl, you are excited for days before but pretty anxious about the process and the outcome.

Butterflies, mad burining hope and deep worry from previous GF's conflicting, first one and then the other.

Sis arrived about 10:30 and we all jumped into her Fairlane and headed off to the G, getting there around 11:30 after the nightmare of getting a park for the big Fairlane in Jollimont.

Looking around as we entered it seemed every Collingwood supporter had the same face on, looking in their eyes you could see an equal mixture of hope, dread and excitement.

Quarter time and the outrage of Gavin Brown being decked drove Collingwood fans to fury, but that fury was partially driven by fear - could we sustain a credible challenge without our Browny on the forward line, would this be another failure driven by an act of calculated thurggery?

But NO! We came out an inspired and deadly dedicated team, ignoring the physical tactics of the bombers and challenging them, when the budgie was run down on our half forward flank a terrible, desperate hope was born in our hearts, the Magpie faithful dared to believe in the dream again and a murmur gradually built up around the ground. Essendon fans started to lose their cocky smirks and the ball started to bounce our way.

Half time was a hazy blur with Pies fans munching on snacks and sipping coldies, the young ones talking big and jeering the Essendon supporters with the older among us sitting quietly and praying to the footy gods that THIS time, perhaps we might get through.

The third quarter was blissful agony with our Pies setting up a flag winning opportunity and refusing to be diverted from the ball despite an increasingly desperate Essendon going the man frequently - but could we sustain it?

The final quarter every Collingwood supporter from 8 to 80 was on their feet cheering for every mark and tackle, every goal was another nail in the coffin of the '70 GF but deep inside was the memory of other GF's we had led and failed.

Banksy passes to Douggie and he puts the final nail in the coffin of not only Essendon but of '70 and the Colliwobbles!!!

I look around, aware fully for the first time of my surroundings and the Collingwood fans are going absolutely nuts. My son is so happy he may just expode and my sister is crying in sheer joy and release of those demons that have haunted us both for decades.

The final siren! Lethal is a cult figure, Banksy - at last - a premiership player, pants joyously holding the ball aloft in both hands, Daics deservedly a premiership player and every single Collingwood supporter euphoric with unrestrained joy.

NOTHING will ever equal that day and evening and the week that followed. Arriving home still ablaze with happiness the long suffering missus finally gets young Robert to bed, exhausted from his day of days. Sis and I spend an hour or so talking the day and the game to death as we watch the replay and act all wise and composed after the event whilst sipping some ice cold suds.

10 PM comes and goes with the missus going to bed in a bit of a miff and shortly after sis leaves for the long drive back from Seddon to Alphington and I'm left sitting alone in the loungeroom. My thoughts turn to how proud dad would be of his beloved Pies and his long drawn out misery since '58 after seeing the Pies 4peat in his youth.

I went to the dresser and pulled out the 25yo bottle of Glenfiddich saved for just this occasion and went out onto the back deck. Sitting out under the seemingly black and white night sky with straight, strong single malt untarnished by even ice I toasted my wonderful Pies, then I toasted dad who I was sure was giving St. Peter a hard time tonght and I toasted the club who had been so much a part of my life since that first match at Geelong in 1964.

Then I went inside, closed and locked the French doors, put away the bottle of Glenfiddich and went to see if I could make the wife as happy as I was that night. :):cool:

Great Story \

The following day at Victoria Park......well, you just had to be there. What a day
One of the longer, more memorable sessions. Managed to have a can with Dennis Banks. Couldn't imagine that these days.

raymond35

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood vfl
One of the longer, more memorable sessions. Managed to have a can with Dennis Banks. Couldn't imagine that these days.

I didn't go back the next morning but somebody told me celebrations were closed down fairly early. where did you have a drink with banksy, inside the social club?

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
These were the 20 pages in the paper devoted to our awesome win!!!

Finally threw my copies of those sunday papers out a couple of years ago.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
before i lost it about 2001 my most cherished possession in my wallet was the ticket stub proving i was there.

:(

I've still got my complete unused 1990 GF ticket at home. Bought the whole series and attended every other game. Just couldn't face the GF. Went in 1980 and it was clearly my fault we got flogged that day, will likely never attend another Collingwood GF.

I didn't go back the next morning but somebody told me celebrations were closed down fairly early. where did you have a drink with banksy, inside the social club?
There were 1000's of people there most of the day. Players were presented to the crowd. I bumped into Banksy on the concourse between the Social Club stand and the stand behind the goals. I reckon it was at least 4-5 in the arvo before we left. It was a big day.

I've still got my complete unused 1990 GF ticket at home. Bought the whole series and attended every other game. Just couldn't face the GF. Went in 1980 and it was clearly my fault we got flogged that day, will likely never attend another Collingwood GF.

I think the opposite. There are games I hate going to, like Anzac Day, because I cannot bear the thought of losing to Essendon. I cant stand their supporters.

Then for years I refused to go to our finals games (except GFs), because I thought if I wasnt there, we would win. Logical to me.:rolleyes:

But when I put my name on the list to join the Melbourne Cricket Club, back in 1983 or thereabouts when membership was opened up to women (thats another story), it was chiefly because I intended to go to every Collingwood GF. I got full MCC membership in 2005, and I have not missed a GF since. I will never again miss us playing off for a flag. Never.

Was only 2 years old so don't obviously remember it but have watched it around 15 times until I finally got to see us win it in 2010

I have a 1990 GF footy record in perfect condition

Always remember my Father telling me he was on the fence when Daicos kicked that goal and knew it was our day after that

Back