[Meta] Match Length and the Gameday Experience

Remove this Banner Ad

I am not sure when the trend developed. I think it began with Logger and it presumably had something to do with his notoriously slow Internet speed and his flair for the dramatic. But we have all been there. We all know the agony of waiting a half 'n' hour for the simmer/or whoever to post the final few lines of commentary in a close game. RU_ has more recently taken delaying posting of the game to new, painfully dizzying height, almost transforming the banal act into an art style.

But how horrible is this experience, really? I personally think the longer the games are drawn out, the more engaging and entertaining the threads have the potential to become as people have the chance to react to new information as it comes across live instead of being robots trained to search for scores. The games themselves are the only tangible result in this league, yet their treated almost like an after-thought. The gameday experience could be improves, it could be something that we savour, instead of having scores spat out so dispassionately over a twenty-minute period late on a random Sunday.

I think games should be, at least, two hours long. That's how long they should take to be posted. Pump some excitement back into the day. But that's me. I enjoy longer games. What about you?

The short and sweet of it all;
Should games have a mandatory, set length? Or should they be at the discretion of the player responsible for posting them?
How long should posting of the game take from the introduction of the line-ups to the final match-up stats none of us originally understood as rookies? Longer games or not?

I scroll straight to the final score. Drawn out games are a nightmare as I find myself scratching the screen and cursing RU_, often wondering if it was possible to find out where he lived to do a number on him.

I enjoy the drama and suspense.
Also, the pleasure of a 100 point win should be extended as long as possible. It's better than sex*. :cool:

*so I've heard.

I am not sure when the trend developed. I think it began with Logger and it presumably had something to do with his notoriously slow Internet speed and his flair for the dramatic. But we have all been there. We all know the agony of waiting a half 'n' hour for the simmer/or whoever to post the final few lines of commentary in a close game. RU_ has more recently taken delaying posting of the game to new, painfully dizzying height, almost transforming the banal act into an art style.

But how horrible is this experience, really? I personally think the longer the games are drawn out, the more engaging and entertaining the threads have the potential to become as people have the chance to react to new information as it comes across live instead of being robots trained to search for scores. The games themselves are the only tangible result in this league, yet their treated almost like an after-thought. The gameday experience could be improves, it could be something that we savour, instead of having scores spat out so dispassionately over a twenty-minute period late on a random Sunday.

I think games should be, at least, two hours long. That's how long they should take to be posted. Pump some excitement back into the day. But that's me. I enjoy longer games. What about you?

The short and sweet of it all;
Should games have a mandatory, set length? Or should they be at the discretion of the player responsible for posting them?
How long should posting of the game take from the introduction of the line-ups to the final match-up stats none of us originally understood as rookies? Longer games or not?
I find that it only works when the game is being posted when there are players watching it being posted live. You could take 10 minutes to build suspense at the final goal but if no one is online at the time it becomes moot.

I've told the match posters generally I want them started around six but with a finish no later than 8pm and what they do in between is their choice.

So in short Marlowe, you may get your wish every now and again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Close games should be dragged out. Standard games where half way through the 4th one side is 5+ goals up dont need to be made suspenseful.

The best match Ive ever been involved in was stretched out over 5 pages for the last 10 minutes of the last quarter.

And you still periodically bump the thread you total bastard campaigner

Don't care how long or short they are, as long as we win.

I think the role of a simmer is unique in that the more abuse you get, the better a job you're doing, in my eyes anyway.
So the simmers are parking inspectors?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back