Multiplat Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Remove this Banner Ad

So I've got Peace Walker and Ground Zeroes to get through before MGSV.

I haven't played MGS4 yet. I realise that is in the Solid Snake timeline, rather than Big Boss timeline. So question is, am I missing out if I don't get to that before MGSV?

Probably not. Peace Walker & Ground Zeroes are seemingly the essential plays before MGSV for timeline purposes. If you have some awareness of the original Metal Gear Solid on PS1 and Metal Gear 1 & 2 on MSX because those will be the events that this game is setting up in all likelihood.

Probably not. Peace Walker & Ground Zeroes are seemingly the essential plays before MGSV for timeline purposes. If you have some awareness of the original Metal Gear Solid on PS1 and Metal Gear 1 & 2 on MSX because those will be the events that this game is setting up in all likelihood.

Yeah familiar with the story lines around those. If I have time, I'll get to 4, but can't see it happening.

Figured as much. Started getting into that last night. Had to re-do the intro as I had forgotten everything :drunk:

That was the same here. I had a save where I had basically had basically done the tutorial and a few other levels. I just scrapped it and started again. Given how little I remembered of the start I'm glad I did.

Game is very good. Enjoying the Pokemon like challenge of capturing all the soldiers in a level.

I've been wanting to play 4 again lately but I'm wary of the fatigue for 5 if I play through it again now; did the same with Witcher 2 before 3 came out and now I just can't be arsed continuing Witcher 3.

HAve played some Snake Eater and PW though.

yes MGS 4 is one of the best games on ps3 but its set after the mgs5,

you would want to play MGS3, Peace walker and ground Zeros before you play MGS5, ground zeros is the prologue to MGS5 .

MGS2 and 3 have very dated controls, im not sure about Peace Walker but im guessing it is better.

Fans of the game say its better to play them in order of release but its up to you.

Im currently playing through the HD collection http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/261589724185?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT.

Yeah I'd only played the first one so got HD collection awhile back thinking I'll smash through them all and be up to date for Phantom Pain. Couldn't even finish MGS2 coz the controls are so wonky by today's standards.

Yeah I'd only played the first one so got HD collection awhile back thinking I'll smash through them all and be up to date for Phantom Pain. Couldn't even finish MGS2 coz the controls are so wonky by today's standards.

Did the same. MGS2 was certainly pretty painful but eventually got the hang of it. MGS3 at least allows you to spin the camera around, so it gets better if u can grind it out

Yea I started the hd collection on the weekend and boy are the controls bad lol, it's funny how that was the norm back then. It really is painful and I'm thinking if going the YouTube route just for the story.

Yea I started the hd collection on the weekend and boy are the controls bad lol, it's funny how that was the norm back then. It really is painful and I'm thinking if going the YouTube route just for the story.

There were a few moments of frustration where my controller was at risk, but I managed to get through. It's worthwhile in the end! At the very least, try and play through MGS3, controls are much improved (but still a bit wonky)

There were a few moments of frustration where my controller was at risk, but I managed to get through. It's worthwhile in the end! At the very least, try and play through MGS3, controls are much improved (but still a bit wonky)
Was playing 3, will give it some more time but not sure i will last.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh Sledge don't be that person. The only legitimate answer is MGS or MGS3 - the other two are fine but full of nonsense (actually MGS4 really isn't a very good game).

I am that person. As far as I'm concerned the only legitimate answers are MGS or MGS2. MGS3 is great, but constantly changing camos/hunting for food makes it a solid 3rd for me personally.

The plot of Metal Gear Solid 2 is ridiculously high concept and I love it even more nearly 15 years on. Everything about the control over information in the digital age actually makes so much more sense now than it did on release. It has aged magnificently and it places you in a different perspective to see Solid Snake from.

I am that person. As far as I'm concerned the only legitimate answers are MGS or MGS2. MGS3 is great, but constantly changing camos/hunting for food makes it a solid 3rd for me personally.

The plot of Metal Gear Solid 2 is ridiculously high concept and I love it even more nearly 15 years on. Everything about the control over information in the digital age actually makes so much more sense now than it did on release. It has aged magnificently and it places you in a different perspective to see Solid Snake from.

Well as long as you hate MGS4 then I'll accept that :p

Got into the series when I started playing 2 - amazing game that I do want to play again but worried I might ruin it for myself because of the controls. If only the controls from 4 (which I agree, disappointingly, was the 'worst' but it did have the best controls) could somehow be transferred onto 2...

Plot however is and remains excellent - some mind blowing stuff in there that was ahead of its time and also loved sitting back during all that free time during school holidays and watching/listening to the cutscenes and codec convos.

Really looking forward to this and hoping it won't be a let down like 4, which also had a lot of hype around it at the time. Unfortunately GZ wasn't great but obviously a very limited insight into what TPP will give us so let's see.

Debating whether to get this on PS4 of PC. I can pre-load on PS4 but the PC version is cheaper and probably a lot prettier.

Cal, **** you. 4 is great. 2 is great. 3 is good story wise but gameplay it never grabbed me. 1 is where it all started. Couldn't rank them.

I'm not really surprised that you found a Coke guzzling monkey compelling. But the game has some serious problems that would have been judged more harshly if they had occurred in a game that wasn't MGS.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back