News PeopleFirst (Bank) Stadium and Precinct

Remove this Banner Ad

Might be seeing some more of those double decker Translink busses around too!
Been seeing quite a few of those lately. Here is a map of the council's vision for the transport network on the Gold Coast. Their preference is Parkwood but I'm fairly sure it'll be Helensvale. Anyway, you can see the 735 (Southport), 740 (Surfers Paradise) and 745 (Broadbeach) will be heading to Nerang station. So it looks like the roads that will have dedicated bus lanes to Nerang will be Southport-Nerang Rd (Southport), Thomas Dr & Ashmore Rd (Surfers Paradise) and Hooker Boulevard & Nerang-Broadbeach Rd (Broadbeach). The three routes start at areas that have light rail stations which are Southport station (Southport), Cypress Avenue station (Surfers Paradise) and Broadbeach South station (Broadbeach).

Cv5p8wj.jpg

The Suns may have some competition for the best AFL training facilities. West Coast are moving to Lathlain Park in 2017 which will be upgraded to the tune of $60 million. Here is a picture:

RiSlZdR.jpg

The difference is they will be sharing the facility with the Perth Football Club.

The Suns may have some competition for the best AFL training facilities. West Coast are moving to Lathlain Park in 2017 which will be upgraded to the tune of $60 million. Here is a picture:

RiSlZdR.jpg

The difference is they will be sharing the facility with the Perth Football Club.
Hard to see 60 million in this, is it gold plated or something

The ferry from Surfers Paradise/Southport to Metricon is a step close with the riverside at Surfers Paradise set to undergo a makeover and include a dock for the future ferry system. In fact, the GC Mayor himself even made mention of it:

Southbank-style beach proposed for river at Gold Coast's Surfers Paradise
Mayor Tom Tate said Cavill Ave would be “decluttered” between Ferny Ave and the riverside to created an open pedestrian area to a planned dock for the city’s long discussed ferry system.

“This has been a long time coming and this area will become a major community park where future ferries can dock,” he said.

“I envisage catching a ferry from here and taking it all the way to Carrara’s sporting precinct.

“The beach will have netting and fencing so the bull sharks cannot get in which means families can come here and enjoy another beach here in the centre of Surfers Paradise.”
Here is a picture of what they want to do with the area in case anyone is interested:

9ni9RtP.jpg

Last edited:
The ferry to from Surfers Paradise/Southport to Metricon is a step close with the riverside at Surfers Paradise set to undergo a makeover and include a dock for the future ferry system. In fact, the GC Mayor himself even made mention of it:

Southbank-style beach proposed for river at Gold Coast's Surfers Paradise

Here is a picture of what they want to do with the area in case anyone is interested:

9ni9RtP.jpg
This is great!

Also, I love the fact that he directly mentioned the Metricon area in his statement. Imagine how good that would be for the Comm games? Wandering around Surfers Paradise one minute, on the ferry to Metricon Stadium the next.

I imagine once the ferry system is in place, Suns attendence will grow.

This is great!

Also, I love the fact that he directly mentioned the Metricon area in his statement. Imagine how good that would be for the Comm games? Wandering around Surfers Paradise one minute, on the ferry to Metricon Stadium the next.

I imagine once the ferry system is in place, Suns attendence will grow.
Yeah it's great that Metricon is always mentioned in the plans for the ferry service.

What we have learned from the light rail is that the GC public will use public transport as long as it is built well. We saw the difference the light rail made for the GC600 (biggest attendance in 5 years) so we can only hope a ferry system would have a similar impact on sports events at Metricon. It would also ease the load on buses which essentially allows for bigger attendances. The proposed dock is only 250 metres south of the Cavill Avenue tram stop so it wouldn't be hard to get to. I think you're right in saying the crowds at Metricon would increase once it is opened to the public.

I've posted this before but imagine rocking up to the game via a ferry and seeing this:

xR1OP2w.jpg

Sports stadiums race to enter digital age

THE digital revolution at sports stadiums will allow fans to order beer from their seats, re-watch game plays from different angles and have flawless mobile phone connectivity all the time with high-density WiFi.

There is expected to be up to $250 million of investment over the next few years to bring the infrastructure at sporting stadiums and other major venues into the digital age, with Cisco, Huawei, IBM, Fujitsu, Telstra and Optus responding to competitive tenders to secure the rights to individual venues.

Two Australian companies, PMY and OAMM, have been engaged by the Sydney Cricket Ground, Etihad Stadium, Adelaide Oval, Metricon Stadium, Melbourne Olympic Park Precinct, and various racecourses, entertainment venues and transport authorities to build their technology strategy.

PMY managing director Paul Yeomans said part of the digital strategy was an app with e-commerce services where fans can order beer to their seats or buy merchandise, as well as live content and interactive highlights where fans can view moments from the game from a different angle. It also provides real-time statistics and information.

The apps, tailored to each venue, also allow fans to upgrade tickets and will have a venue loyalty program.

“We’ve spent the last two years working on the first project of this kind where the experience is customised to the fan and the event,’’ Mr Yeomans said.

“The reason this is important is the consumer’s desire to use their phone more and more, driving the requirement for wireless connectivity in sporting venues.

“Once you’ve provided the platform, you have a captive audience to provide highlights, stats, behind-the-scenes footage and other live content.”

OAMM chief executive Edward Abbott said another exciting aspect of the new app was a 60-second game that could be played against someone else in the stadium. “Everything we’re building now is about the fan,’’ he said.

“This is a platform rich with experience — mobile ordering of merchandise, food, beer, tickets.”

Mr Yeomans, whose background is business and sports marketing, said apart from improving the benefits for fans, the technology also provided valuable data and behavioural insights about users in real time.

He returned from Britain this month, where he is in talks with Manchester United about rolling out the technology at Old Trafford, along with other English premier league clubs.

While other countries are now turning to Australia for insights, Mr Yeomans said he closely followed successful instances of digitisation, for example at Barclays Centre in New York, Levis Stadium in San Francisco and the Dallas Cowboys in Dallas.

“Businesses in Europe and Asia are looking to Australia now for best practice,’’ he said.

The SCG precinct will be the first venue in Australia to completely incorporate the technology, investing an initial $10m into digital infrastructure for Allianz Stadium, with an app dedicated to the stadium as well as high-density WiFi and 1200 new LED screens, part of the IPTV network.

Sydney Cricket and Sports Ground Trust chief executive Jamie Barkley said even with a crowd of 44,000, the WiFi would work for all users. It would be ready in March, for the start of the NRL season, while the new e-commerce app for fans would be ready at the SCG in time for the January cricket Test match.

“The SCG’s new northern stand is the first in the southern hemisphere to offer free high- density WiFi and a vast IPTV network,’’ he said. “Connectivity is a key way to improve the match-day experience of Sydney’s sports fans and get them off the sofa and back into the stadium.”

Looks like it won't be long until Metricon offers free WiFi and technology capable of ordering drinks/food from your seat. Ticket upgrading looks like it'll become a lot easier too once they release the Metricon Stadium app. No mention of the Robina stadium undergoing the same upgrade.

Also, I love the fact that he directly mentioned the Metricon area in his statement.

Well he called it the Carrara sporting precinct
I don't think I've ever heard that little turd mention the Suns once other than suggest WE share facilities with the Titans at Coomera FFS
We have to remember we probably only exist because of Ron Clarke's drive and support and Tate hates all things Clarke
Tate talks about the Titans a lot, but then again he has a history of backing losers

Last edited:
Well he called it the Carrara sporting precinct
I don't think I've ever heard that little turd mention the Suns once other than suggest WE share facilities with them at Coomera FFS
We have to remember we probably only exist because of Ron Clarke's drive and support and Tate hates all things Clarke
Tate talks about the Titans a lot, but then again he has a history of backing losers
He likes cricket too. Earlier this year he met with an Indian delegation in an attempt to make his “Twenty20 cricket dream a reality”. He never actually said Metricon or Suns when talking about the stadium even though he took them for a tour around Metricon.

“I think we would get a good crowd here on the Gold Coast,” Cr Tate told the group.

“I believe the stadium would fill up.”

He also tried to secure a State of Origin match at Metricon in 2018.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One thing I've noticed about the stadium area is that these days it is constantly being referred to as the Carrara sports precinct or Carrara super-sports precinct. I guess that's what it will be known as in the future.

One thing I've noticed about the stadium area is that these days it is constantly being referred to as the Carrara sports precinct or Carrara super-sports precinct. I guess that's what it will be known as in the future.
If that's the case we might see Metricon opt not to renew their branding lease on the stadium.

If that's the case we might see Metricon opt not to renew their branding lease on the stadium.
Doubtful. The Suns get the money from the stadium sponsorship so the only way that would happen is if the government paid them.

Not really on subject.. But kind of is...
Eddie McGuire this week on the radio was talking about Port Adelaide losing 2million dollars this financial year and the fact all there home games were sold out, merchandise went through the roof etc and membership was up over 50,000 yet still lost all that money due to there crappy stadium deal.

He ended up saying he thought the Gold Coast Suns were on a good stadium deal too but it was really poor..?
I'm thinking during the talks with the Suns about getting Eade up to the Coast a few things got mentioned,. Including our crappy stadium deal..

Anyone know how much we make per home game on average?
Geelong has a capacity of about 33,000 and make about $500,000 per home etc.

My belief is that their will be a new stadium deal next year. Justva hunch
I would think that's correct. I don't see Metricon renewing their deal. The Suns should be able to charge more for the naming rights this time considering they are established and it will include the Commonwealth Games in the package.

Not really on subject.. But kind of is...
Eddie McGuire this week on the radio was talking about Port Adelaide losing 2million dollars this financial year and the fact all there home games were sold out, merchandise went through the roof etc and membership was up over 50,000 yet still lost all that money due to there crappy stadium deal.

He ended up saying he thought the Gold Coast Suns were on a good stadium deal too but it was really poor..?
I'm thinking during the talks with the Suns about getting Eade up to the Coast a few things got mentioned,. Including our crappy stadium deal..

Anyone know how much we make per home game on average?
Geelong has a capacity of about 33,000 and make about $500,000 per home etc.
My understanding is that the Suns' stadium deal is quite good and it's more a case of consistent crowds not showing up. From memory they make around $600k profit if 18,000 people show up.

I would think that's correct. I don't see Metricon renewing their deal. The Suns should be able to charge more for the naming rights this time considering they are established and it will include the Commonwealth Games in the package.

My understanding is that the Suns' stadium deal is quite good and it's more a case of consistent crowds not showing up. From memory they make around $600k profit if 18,000 people show up.

If the 600k figure is correct ( and I don't doubt Matchu ) the club has it's destiny in its own hands. Can't want a better deal than that.

If the 600k figure is correct ( and I don't doubt Matchu ) the club has it's destiny in its own hands. Can't want a better deal than that.
Firstly, I completely agree. Secondly, with Matchu's good record when it comes to Suns info, he'll be the king of GC in 2015.

Matchu is actually Malcolm Blight

The stadium deal was a big thing at the time because Stadiums Queensland usually cuts other sports teams bad deals. It all comes from the AFL investing money into the stadium and receiving management rights in return. The Gold Coast is a small market and the Suns don't have other forms of revenue outside of the AFL to date so it is important that they make money in other ways. If anyone is interested it is referred to as a "clean" stadium. Here is a little bit more from an article at the time:

Modelling of stadium figures show that a crowd of just 18,000 will return $600,000 - or close to it - per game. Compare that to North's attendance of 15,000 at last week's match against Fremantle at Etihad. That cost the club $100,000, according to Brayshaw.

The Gold Coast team will have a clean stadium. That means naming rights and all the other commercial streams of income. Just what tenant clubs at Etihad and the MCG struggle to get their hands on.
The club will control all revenues at its stadium. The lot. The seats, drinks, food, ticketing, signage, corporate hospitality and whatever else you can think of. It will also be able to make use of the stadium through summer for concerts and any other entertainment or sports it might stage.

I thought it would be interesting to look into the rapid bus network route between Broadbeach and Nerang (that is to be implemented by 2018) to get an idea of what needs to be done between now and it's completion.

Firstly, it needs to be A LOT more obvious that the left-most lane is a BUS ONLY lane. The reason bus lanes work in Brisbane is because it is very obvious to the average driver that they shouldn't be driving there. The lanes are often painted red and the Brisbane public doesn't go near them because they know they aren't supposed to drive in red lands that are labelled BUS LANE. This isn't the case on the Gold Coast. People take no notice of the BUS LANE paint that come up every 500 metres or so. This has to change if the rapid bus network is going to work. It might even get to the point where the left-most lane along the route is painted red and the words BUS LANE show up every 100 metres.

The route includes about 4.5kms along Hooker Boulevard/Gooding Drive and 4kms along Nerang-Broadbeach Road. So once the bus leaves Broadbeach South station, it will enter Hooker Boulevard heading west. Hooker Boulevard has three lanes at this point with the left-most lane being the bus lane. Once the bus travels about 500 metres and passes the last set of traffic light around Pacific Fair, the road merges into two lanes. This is obviously an issues as there is no longer a bus lane. The third lane to the left will need to be extended which includes the widening of a bridge. The addition of the third lane would extend about 800 metres before it connects the continuation of the bus lane. This is definitely a possibility as most of the area that would be used for a third lane is just grass and trees. Widening the bridge would cost money but it is something that will need to be done, especially considering they want to eventually turn the route into a light rail extension.

About 100 metres later the bus lane once again merges for 50 metres before the third lane returns. I don't know why this is the case but it is. This could easily be fixed by widening the road for about 50 metres which is nothing more than grass at the moment anyway. The third lane (bus lane) then continues for 1.8kms, which helps a lot. The third lane then disappears again for another 250 metres while going over a bridge. This could be fixed by the widening of the bridge and laying road over grass. So far none of the route is being restricted by private property.

From there the bus travels about 600 metres to reach the big roundabout which leads on to Nerang-Broadbeach Road. The Nerang-Broadbeach stretch is strictly two lanes for the first 1.8kms but does have enough grass on both sides to easily add a third lane for the entirety of that route. It does include two bridges that will need to be widened so again that will cost a fair bit of money. A third lane then extends for 400 metres before it merges to two lanes. The two lanes then extend for 800 metres before the third lane returns. There is spare grass land on either end that can be used to create a third land along this area. From that point onward there are three lanes all the way to the stadium so no more work will need to be done. I still believe an overpass should be created along Nerang-Broadbeach Road to allow the buses to drop off loads on the western side of the road.

So, four bridges need to be widened and about 3.6kms of grass land will need to be turned into road for this particular bus routes to really work. Paint the whole land red would also help to keep cars out of the lane. So there you go. Let's hope it is put in place over the next four years.

The petition for a light rail extension has reached the target of 10,000 signatures and the Southport MP is obviously very happy about it given he started the petition. There was an article in the GC Bulletin yesterday that states the GC Mayor was looking to sell the light rail to Chinese businessmen and have them build the extension/s. I don't like that idea and it goes completely against the Queensland Plan of not selling public assets but that's another issue. It just seems like lots of politicians are looking for private businesses to fund the extension when really it should be them providing the money. They can't simply rule it out because there is too much momentum now and they don't want to lose the Gold Coast vote.

The proposed Helensvale extension should help the Suns in a minor way when it comes to crowds. It'd make it easier to get to games from areas like Southport and it is only one train station north of Nerang which would be used to get to Metricon. However, I'm not sure how much the public would like using three forms of public transport just to get to the stadium.

Hi there.
What is happening with reconfiguring for the Commonwealth Games?
What will it look like after the games?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back