News PeopleFirst (Bank) Stadium and Precinct

Remove this Banner Ad

The Gold Coast News revealed tonight that EPL mega club Manchester City will spend at least a week training on the Gold Coast next month and will split their sessions between the stadiums in Robina and Carrara. This is obviously the beginning of their long term plan to rent out the facilities at the Carrara Sports Precinct to international soccer and rugby teams and I believe the Suns will make a profit through this.

Obviously the truly world class training fields and gym equipment don't exist just yet at Carrara but most will be completed this time next year.

Just an addition to what you say Matchu, Man city are playing a game vs Adelaide united behind closed gates on the Gold Coast. Not sure where though
I'm pretty sure they are playing that game at Robina. Seems an odd decision to play behind closed doors considering the rent costs but I guess money isn't an issue for a team like Manchester City.

An interesting story on Gold Coast sport just before on Channel 9 News. It said the council released a sports plan back in 2013 and had been hoping to lure sports teams from around the world to train in the city. They more than achieved that goal and it resulted in millions being injected into the local economy. I think they said it was a return 31x that of the initial $200,000 investment. I had a little look for the sports plan and found this picture:

kBxyCMX.jpg

Possibly the most interesting thing revealed in the story was that council is pushing hard to establish a cricket team in the Big Bash League and a netball team in the ANZ Championship.

Gold Coast traffic jams target of $160m program before games
THE State Government has announced $160 million of road upgrades on the Gold Coast to be rolled out before the 2018 Commonwealth Games.

Roads minister Mark Bailey and games minister Kate Jones announced the work this morning, saying the five key projects would create 480 jobs.

The work includes:

Six-lanes for the Southport-Burleigh road, from Southport to Broadbeach Waters, including major intersection upgrades.

Traffic signals for the intersection of Labrador — Carrara Road at Ross Street and Ashmore Road.

story-fnj94idh-1227403662208

Extending the six lanes of Olsen Avenue to the Southport — Nerang Road, with intersection upgrades.

Boosting traffic capacity along Nerang — Broadbeach Road at the Gooding Drive roundabout; and

Improving the intersection of Smith Street Motorway and Kumbari Avenue.

Ms Jones said the projects would help ensure the Games delivered a lasting legacy for the city.

“ ... the Government is determined to ensure the 2018 Commonwealth Games is a transformative event for the Gold Coast,” she said.

Main Roads and Roads Safety Minister Mark Bailey said his department was working closely with residents and businesses to minimise inconvenience caused by the construction.

Good news in the GC Bulletin today. Some of these upgrades will directly benefit the Carrara Sports Precinct. "Boosting traffic capacity along Nerang-Broadbeach Road at the Gooding Drive roundabout" is good news for the stadium as a lot of people use this route to access the stadium. That roundabout is massive and can cause issues so an upgrade will be welcomed. The roundabout at Ross Street-Ashmore Road will be replaced with traffic lights which will also be huge for traffic management in the stadium area. That roundabout is only about 2kms from the stadium and needs to be upgraded.

So those two upgrades will significantly improve access from the major hub areas of Southport and Broadbeach. The upgrade of Southport-Burleigh Road from 4 to 6 lanes will also result in people spending less time travelling to the stadium. So access to the stadium from the three major roads of the Gold Coast (Pacific Motorway, Southport-Burleigh Road and the Gold Coast Highway) will be much easier by the time the Commonwealth Games roll around. Great news for the stadium, the area and the city.

Gold Coast traffic jams target of $160m program before games

Good news in the GC Bulletin today. Some of these upgrades will directly benefit the Carrara Sports Precinct. "Boosting traffic capacity along Nerang-Broadbeach Road at the Gooding Drive roundabout" is good news for the stadium as a lot of people use this route to access the stadium. That roundabout is massive and can cause issues so an upgrade will be welcomed. The roundabout at Ross Street-Ashmore Road will be replaced with traffic lights which will also be huge for traffic management in the stadium area. That roundabout is only about 2kms from the stadium and needs to be upgraded.

So those two upgrades will significantly improve access from the major hub areas of Southport and Broadbeach. The upgrade of Southport-Burleigh Road from 4 to 6 lanes will also result in people spending less time travelling to the stadium. So access to the stadium from the three major roads of the Gold Coast (Pacific Motorway, Southport-Burleigh Road and the Gold Coast Highway) will be much easier by the time the Commonwealth Games roll around. Great news for the stadium, the area and the city.

The Southport -Burleigh road upgrade will be an expensive one, I have a house in BBW around the corner and the bridge that goes over the Nerang river on this road will need to be extended by 2 lanes, if I am not mistaken there are 3-4 other smaller bridges along this roads length.

The Southport -Burleigh road upgrade will be an expensive one, I have a house in BBW around the corner and the bridge that goes over the Nerang river on this road will need to be extended by 2 lanes, if I am not mistaken there are 3-4 other smaller bridges along this roads length.
Definitely. There are three bridges between Hooker Boulevard (Broadbeach Waters) and North Street (Southport). The bridge adjacent to TSS is quite small and won't be too hard to extend but the other two (near the Arts Centre and the one you mentioned) will be tricky. The section of Bundall Road south of the Arts Centre is quite small and will require some land resumption, similar to the light rail route. That's not the best news for residents in those areas but this is a required upgrade. The city has outgrown double lane major roads and needs at least three major roads that offer triple lane traffic both ways or some alternative form of transport along those corridors ie light rail. The important thing to note here is that several upgrades are being made to allow easier access to the Southport CBD. Southport-Burleigh, Smith Street etc all lead to the CBD and that's the priority here. Basically making travel easier for those working in the CBD and living in the inner suburbs.

I have a feeling Southport-Burleigh Road is being extended to six lanes to allow a light rail extension in the future. Most of the Southport-Burleigh corridor south of Hooker Boulevard offers a large amount of open space in between the two way traffic. This means it would be relatively easy to extend the light rail between Broadbeach Waters and West Burleigh. The last thing the council and state government want is to allow more cars on the road. This is just a temporary solution until an inner north-south light rail extension becomes a possibility IMO. I have a vision in which the three major corridors of the Gold Coast have light and/or heavy rail access. We're talking decades into the future but it's good to see the planning is being done now so that we aren't completely embarrassed in 3 years while the Comm Games are being held.

Iva Bigun, the idea is to eventually get people out of cars and into trams/trains. Too many Gold Coasters are reliant on car transport at the moment and it's clogging up the roads something awful. Eventually you'll have 20-30% of the population working in the Southport CBD and a preference to live along a light rail route. Suburbs like Bundall and Labrador will become a lot more appealing in the future. A mass transit system will work much better than everyone using their car to access the CBD. The Southport CBD will become so reliant on the light rail system in the future that a lot of people living in the inner suburbs will hardly need to own a car. East-west extensions will help the light rail's reach with Chevron Island and Markeri Street likely becoming the first major east-west extensions.

Iva Bigun, Gold Coast News just revealed seven properties along the Southport-Burleigh route will be bought to widen the road. They also had footage of Kate Jones pleading to Tony Abbott to help fund the light rail extension to Helensvale along with the State Government and GC Council. So it looks like the only thing holding back the light rail extension now is funding at the federal level. Anyway, the roads of the Gold Coast are going to get very busy over the next two years as these upgrades take place.

Last edited:
Iva Bigun, Gold Coast News just revealed seven properties along the Southport-Burleigh route will be bought to widen the road. They also had footage of Kate Jones pleading to Tony Abbott to help fund the light rail extension to Helensvale along with the State Government and GC Council. So it looks like the only thing holding back the light rail extension now is funding from at the federal level. Anyway, the roads of the Gold Coast are going to get very busy over the next two years as these upgrades take place.
Fingers crossed the bloke who calls himself the "infrastructure Prime Minister" comes through with the goods.

Fingers crossed the bloke who calls himself the "infrastructure Prime Minister" comes through with the goods.
We can only hope. Mayor Tom Tate also mentioned the council was in talks to install a permanent legacy for Ron Clarke on the Gold Coast. Hopefully it involves the Carrara Sport Precinct that he played such a huge role in creating.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Iva Bigun, the idea is to eventually get people out of cars and into trams/trains. Too many Gold Coasters are reliant on car transport at the moment and it's clogging up the roads something awful. Eventually you'll have 20-30% of the population working in the Southport CBD and a preference to live along a light rail route. Suburbs like Bundall and Labrador will become a lot more appealing in the future. A mass transit system will work much better than everyone using their car to access the CBD. The Southport CBD will become so reliant on the light rail system in the future that a lot of people living in the inner suburbs will hardly need to own a car. East-west extensions will help the light rail's reach with Chevron Island and Markeri Street likely becoming the first major east-west extensions.
Totally agree, this should be the vision for all growing cities, having seen the way Tokyo manages to get 36,000,000 people around everyday and has less cars on the road than Brisbane. effective, cheap public transport has to be a priority.

We can only hope. Mayor Tom Tate also mentioned the council was in talks to install a permanent legacy for Ron Clarke on the Gold Coast. Hopefully it involves the Carrara Sport Precinct that he played such a huge role in creating.
This is a wonderful idea, naming one of the new buildings the Ron Clarke memorial sports stadium or the proposed boulevard out the front of the precinct after him would be a lovely sign of respect.

Has it definitely 100% been confirmed that it's going to be a temporary upgrade? I haven't seen an official confirmation yet.

So after the games, what will the stadium look like?
What will the capacity be?
Thanks in advance
Has it definitely 100% been confirmed that it's going to be a temporary upgrade? I haven't seen an official confirmation yet.
A few photos that have been released:

p9xP7bv.jpg

if2vPiw.jpg

kBxyCMX.jpg

The capacity in games mode will be 40,000. It is planned that the temporary grand stand will be removed following the games and the capacity will sit at 27,000. There hasn't been anything to suggest the plans of a temporary upgrade have changed but there also hasn't been much detail released to the public recently either.

Totally agree, this should be the vision for all growing cities, having seen the way Tokyo manages to get 36,000,000 people around everyday and has less cars on the road than Brisbane. effective, cheap public transport has to be a priority.
The Gold Coast, like Brisbane in 80s, will be changed forever as a result of the Commonwealth Games. Public transport is obviously a major issue and I'm glad it is being addressed now. The Gold Coast isn't Brisbane and can't purely rely on buses. The light rail has already proven it's worth and in all likelihood will become the preferred mode of transport for future Gold Coasters. Creating a pumping CBD is obviously a major aspect of any city and it looks like the Commonwealth Games is playing it's part in that regard as well. Lots of Chinese investment happening in Southport at the moment. I'm just glad the city is finally taking itself seriously.

Howdy y'all,
Just wondering if any of you helpfull folk could tell me which section the away team supporters sit and or what section the away teams race is.
Thanks in advance.

Bell End
METRICON 1.jpg

away team runs out between L31 and L32.

not 100% sure on the opposition seating, someone else might be able to give a more accurate answer. i've noticed a fair few around U25/U26, U12/U13, U04/U05, and on the lower level under the scoreboard.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back