News PeopleFirst (Bank) Stadium and Precinct

Remove this Banner Ad

Gold Coast News report points:
  • Carrara precinct is the main hub for the Comm Games.
  • Will include warm up tracks and two halls.
  • It will host Badminton and Wrestling at the 2018 Comm Games.
  • It will likely be the largest halls in Australia.
  • The existing indoor stadium will host Weightlifting at the 2018 Comm Games and will have an exterior makeover.
  • They believe the precinct will cement the Gold Coast as a leading sporting city by 2017.
  • Discussions to host an international Badminton event in one of the halls.
  • Suggested it could become a state facility for weightlifting.
  • Looking to host more global events.
Queensland News report points:
  • The epicenter of the Games.
  • $120 million being spent.
  • Indoor stadium will be upgraded and two halls to be built at the Sports and Leisure Centre.
  • The Sports and Leisure Centre will start taking shape in the next few months.
  • The Sports and Leisure Centre will be completed 2017.
  • The Sports and Leisure Centre will host Badminton's Sudirman Cup (World Mixed Team Championships) in May 2017.

• The existing indoor stadium will host Weightlifting at the 2018 Comm Games and will have an exterior makeover.
  • They believe the precinct will cement the Gold Coast as a leading sporting city by 2017.
  • Indoor stadium will be upgraded and two halls to be built at the Sports and Leisure Centre.
  • The Sports and Leisure Centre will host Badminton's Sudirman Cup (World Mixed Team Championships) in May 2017.
You did well to get that out of a 2 min snippet, exciting times ahead

Nothing will beat Melbourne for best sporting prestinct

Nothing will beat Melbourne for best sporting precinct
Of course not. Melbourne's has been developed over several decades. The Carrara precinct will have been virtually been built from scratch between 2009-2018. It's not easy to acquire that sort of money from a state government so the Suns (and any future teams that set up at Carrara) have been very fortunate.

Once upon a time, there were plans to build a rectangular stadium in Carrara next to the old oval stadium. That would have used by the Titans and then presumably the Suns would have redeveloped the oval stadium. The precinct could have been very different.

A rectangular stadium for Soccer Rugby and even Hockey might sit nicely on the fields near the Blue Car park
The blue car park will be transformed into a soccer facility for Football Gold Coast (soccer). Around 400 new underground parking spots will be added with the Carrara Sports and Leisure Centre so that won't be an issue. There is still heaps of spare land (floodplain) just north of the blue car park so it's not completely out of the question but I think a far more likely option is shared tenancy with the Suns at Metricon. The chances of the Queensland Government shelling out for a third stadium on the Gold Coast since 2008 are very low. Both the Gold Coast Blaze and Gold Coast United began to catch on to the benefits of basing themselves at Carrara towards the end of their existence but by that point it was too late. I think it's fair to assume future Big Bash League (cricket) and ANZ Championship (netball) teams based on the Gold Coast will base themselves at Carrara, presuming those licences are awarded around 2017-18. Gold Coast Basketball is already based at Carrara and I think Gold Coast Athletics will make the move from Griffith in the near future.

I think one of the golf clubs up the road is going to build very good tennis facilities and there is always Royal Pines just over the bridge that provides world class tennis and golf facilities. The only popular sports that don't really have a presence in the area now or planned in the future are the two rugby codes. That's not including swimming because that'll be in Southport for a long time.

The blue car park will be transformed into a soccer facility for Football Gold Coast (soccer). Around 400 new underground parking spots will be added with the Carrara Sports and Leisure Centre so that won't be an issue. There is still heaps of spare land (floodplain) just north of the blue car park so it's not completely out of the question but I think a far more likely option is shared tenancy with the Suns at Metricon. The chances of the Queensland Government shelling out for a third stadium on the Gold Coast since 2008 are very low. Both the Gold Coast Blaze and Gold Coast United began to catch on to the benefits of basing themselves at Carrara towards the end of their existence but by that point it was too late. I think it's fair to assume future Big Bash League (cricket) and ANZ Championship (netball) teams based on the Gold Coast will base themselves at Carrara, presuming those licences are awarded around 2017-18. Gold Coast Basketball is already based at Carrara and I think Gold Coast Athletics will make the move from Griffith in the near future.

I think one of the golf clubs up the road is going to build very good tennis facilities and there is always Royal Pines just over the bridge that provides world class tennis and golf facilities. The only popular sports that don't really have a presence in the area now or planned in the future are the two rugby codes. That's not including swimming because that'll be in Southport for a long time.

Time for me to build that Bar and Grill nearby

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lived about 150m from it
Not far from Open 25hrs!Come in before we both starve!
Haha there are a few funny ones down that way. I always enjoyed the deep-fried Mars Bars at Captain Hook's. The area might start to change in the near future given the upcoming $200 million redevelopment of Gold Coast Airport.

Had a look at PD online to see if could get a look at any of the application details regarding the stadium or sports precinct as a whole. Unfortunately, none of the documents are available online, so the most 'interesting' thing I could find is apparently the suns have an altitude chamber and the lapse date for the stadium extension is the 14/01/2016.

Had a look at PD online to see if could get a look at any of the application details regarding the stadium or sports precinct as a whole. Unfortunately, none of the documents are available online, so the most 'interesting' thing I could find is apparently the suns have an altitude chamber and the lapse date for the stadium extension is the 14/01/2016.
It's there, you just have to look at the lots on Nerang-Broadbeach Rd as opposed to an actual address.

Well, the SUNS plan of renting out the Carrara facilities to international cricket/soccer/rugby teams has now become a reality. Manchester City, one of the biggest soccer teams in the world, has spent the week training at Carrara in the lead up to their clash with Melbourne City this Saturday. Good stuff. Once the Carrara Sports and Leisure Centre is complete you'll see even more teams lining up to rent the facilities.

MWR9w7N.jpg

Word gets around when it comes to world class sporting facilities and these pictures/tweets are sure to do Carrara wonders in the future. You really can't underestimate the reach Manchester City's Twitter page has. They also happen to be staying at the Royal Pines Resort which is located about 1.5kms away from Metricon Stadium.

One last thing that is worth noting. The video has 13,000+ views. That's 13,000 people that wouldn't have otherwise been introduced to the SUNS/AFL/Gary Ablett. That kind of exposure can't be underestimated. This is just the beginning for these kinds of things. Wait 'til an Indian cricket team makes its way to the Carrara Sports Precinct.

E5HOugE.jpg

Last edited:
I honestly can't tell if you are joking, because that is 100% not Dana White. Pretty cool that City is promoting the place though...as long as they don't show the demountables that is.

I honestly can't tell if you are joking, because that is 100% not Dana White. Pretty cool that City is promoting the place though...as long as they don't show the demountables that is.
You're right. I should have checked haha. The comment about the 13,000 people still stands though. I'm sure the Man City guys saw the construction site on the way in so they would know the demountables are temporary.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back