News PeopleFirst (Bank) Stadium and Precinct

Remove this Banner Ad

over the past couple days I've noticed another crane has gone up, in the middle of CLSC HALL 1.

That's interesting. Maybe it's for the Suns training facilities? Do you know if it was closer to the road end or the river end? If it's on the river end then that's where the Suns training facilities are supposed to be built.

Matchu any guesses as to what 'FUTURE COGC FACILITIES' stands for? it's on that plan a few posts up in the area where our tin sheds are at the moment.
Doesn't it stand for City Of Gold Coast, as part of the re-branding the city did with the whole Gold Coast red full-stop thing last year I think it was? No idea what they will store there though.

I believe that's correct Young_Guns. The old Gold Coast City Council is now officially known as City Of Gold Coast. With how keen the council has been on pushing major sports events lately, I guess it's not out of the realms of possibility that they set up a mini sport council that is based at Carrara with all the other sports. Then again, it might simply be a new office for the Gaven MP. No doubt the tin sheds will be demolished and replaced so hopefully the future council facilities and the ferry terminal are both built together.

Some good news for the Suns here......

http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au...-in-the-big-acts/story-fnj94hf2-1227584330003
Great news. The stadium really needs to be used all year round for all stakeholders to benefit. That means AFL March-September, music concerts October-February and cricket December-January.

I never quite understood why Metricon stopped hosting music events when the Foo Fighters concert was considered to be a big success. I've always thought artists/bands could quite easily double up with Brisbane-Gold Coast leg over two nights but they never seem to do it. Metricon should aim to be like the Melbourne Rectangular Stadium which is going to host Ed Sheeran and Taylor Swift in a few months time. The two stadiums have similar capacities (25k and 30k) so Metricon should definitely look to replicate that model.

The Gold Coast News just ran the story. The Suns are pushing for the stadium to be used over the summer months and have approached council to help after missing out on hosting ACDC. They lost to the old QEII stadium in Brisbane.

Imagine ACDC at Metricon, holy moly that'd be amazing.

How'd they 'lose out' though? What was the bidding process?

Imagine ACDC at Metricon, holy moly that'd be amazing.

How'd they 'lose out' though? What was the bidding process?
Money perhaps? The Gold Coast Suns can't really compete with anything in Brisbane on their own so I guess that's why they want the council's help. I'm confident they'll be able to secure some big acts if they work together. Probably not this summer because I'd imagine just about everything is locked in but the 2016-17 summer season could see more acts performing at Metricon. I think it's also time to convince the Brisbane Heat to play a home games at Metricon.

The Gold Coast calendar has always struggled for major events but there is obviously a thirst for it. Look at the GC600 over the weekend pulling 200,000 people.

I'd love for it to happen, but don't think it will. The Heat have a good thing going at the Gabba and with only 4 home games a season you would think taking one down the highway is a big risk. Maybe a preseason game?

I'd also like to see national cricket held there. I reckon it would be a pumping atmosphere for T/20 internationals. Another prospect could be the matador one day cup. This season was exclusively held in Sydney split between 3 venues. Could the same be done between Metricon, The Gabba and AB fields? Granted the crowds would not be much, but you would get a feel of what cricket could offer at Metricon.

I'd love for it to happen, but don't think it will. The Heat have a good thing going at the Gabba and with only 4 home games a season you would think taking one down the highway is a big risk. Maybe a preseason game?

I'd also like to see national cricket held there. I reckon it would be a pumping atmosphere for T/20 internationals. Another prospect could be the matador one day cup. This season was exclusively held in Sydney split between 3 venues. Could the same be done between Metricon, The Gabba and AB fields? Granted the crowds would not be much, but you would get a feel of what cricket could offer at Metricon.
I don't think you can just schedule the national team at Metricon without first playing a BBL game. Honestly, I can't see anything other than BBL/national T20 games working on the Gold Coast. I don't think a One Day tournament appeals to the city when they can spend their sunny summer days at the beach instead. T20 stands a chance because it's only a few hours and you can still go to the beach/theme parks on the same day. Asking the GC public to choose between the beach and a One Day cricket tournament is suicide.

This is probably where the Suns need to get in the Heat's ear and offer incentives to play at Metricon. I think next summer when the new CSLC training facilities are complete is their best chance. They could also contact the BBL itself and request a special fixture. Asking for the grand final is probably a bit of a stretch but Canberra did host the grand final a few years back so you never know.

I don't think you can just schedule the national team at Metricon without first playing a BBL game. Honestly, I can't see anything other than BBL/national T20 games working on the Gold Coast. I don't think a One Day tournament appeals to the city when they can spend their sunny summer days at the beach instead. T20 stands a chance because it's only a few hours and you can still go to the beach/theme parks on the same day. Asking the GC public to choose between the beach and a One Day cricket tournament is suicide.

This is probably where the Suns need to get in the Heat's ear and offer incentives to play at Metricon. I think next summer when the new CSLC training facilities are complete is their best chance. They could also contact the BBL itself and request a special fixture. Asking for the grand final is probably a bit of a stretch but Canberra did host the grand final a few years back so you never know.

s**t yeah, the grand final at Metricon would really be something. Talk about the perfect carnival atmosphere

s**t yeah, the grand final at Metricon would really be something. Talk about the perfect carnival atmosphere
It'll never happen. Canberra had the advantage of cricket history. The Gold Coast has next to nothing going in its favour other than the modern stadium.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

for those who don't drive past often, bit of another update. based off the image below which Matchu posted about a week or so back, and from driving past it most weekdays, the structure for CSLC HALL 1 has stayed the same for quite a few weeks. still at the same stage as the photos Matchu posted on the last page. basically just have an elevated floor, with parking space below.

there's a bit of work going on just to the east of it, on the southern side of CSLC HALL 1. looks like a bit of blockwork walls going up, maybe some sort of entrance type thing. i'm also fairly sure they've started building the lift shafts for CSLC HALL 2 as well, which are on the southern side of the hall, visible from nerang-broadbeach road. that's pretty much it so far. progress seems fairly slow, but i guess you'd expect that for a build of this size.

e8MfBCQ.jpg

personally, i'd love to see the plans for the new leisure centres and the suns's new HQ. i know there's a way to view minutes on the city of gold coast website, but not sure if the actual architectural plans would be on there at all. :(

for those who don't drive past often, bit of another update. based off the image below which Matchu posted about a week or so back, and from driving past it most weekdays, the structure for CSLC HALL 1 has stayed the same for quite a few weeks. still at the same stage as the photos Matchu posted on the last page. basically just have an elevated floor, with parking space below.

there's a bit of work going on just to the east of it, on the southern side of CSLC HALL 1. looks like a bit of blockwork walls going up, maybe some sort of entrance type thing. i'm also fairly sure they've started building the lift shafts for CSLC HALL 2 as well, which are on the southern side of the hall, visible from nerang-broadbeach road. that's pretty much it so far. progress seems fairly slow, but i guess you'd expect that for a build of this size.

e8MfBCQ.jpg

personally, i'd love to see the plans for the new leisure centres and the suns's new HQ. i know there's a way to view minutes on the city of gold coast website, but not sure if the actual architectural plans would be on there at all. :(
Progress does seem to be going slow, especially when you compare it to the Coomera Indoor Sports Centre:

wf96zZc.jpg

I don't think you'd be able to find the architectural plans unless you were involved in the building process.

Free public transport for the 2018 Games

I found this article from a few weeks back that has some interesting ideas as to how the organisers plan on transporting patrons during the Comm Games. I'm not so sure the whole park-n-ride plan will be sufficient. Having 'Games Lanes' will also cause havoc with the already small roads through the GC.

Get ready to say goodbye to Metricon for most of the 2018 season...

Gold Coast to bid to host Prince Harry's invictus Games
PRINCE Harry’s Invictus Games may be headed to the Gold Coast in 2018 — the same year the city will host the Commonwealth Games.

The Federal government has announced it will bid for the games, a move that if successful would bring some of the Royal Family to the city.

The Paralympic-like Games, founded by Prince Harry, bring together war veterans from at least 15 nations for a five-day competition.

The bid is being led by Fadden MP and Veteran Affairs Minister Stuart Robert and the Bulletin understands a working group has already been set up.

The bid is expected to be submitted to the London-based Invictus Games Foundation early next year.

While Sydney and Melbourne were initially considered, the Bulletin understands the Government will put the Coast forward as the preferred location.

Mr Robert told the Bulletin plans were well under way.

“We are now bidding for the Invictus Games to be held here in 2018 and the Gold Coast is the perfect location because we will have just finished the Commonwealth Games, so will have all the facilities,” he said.

“I launched our participation when we first sent people in 2014 and will be holding further discussions with people today.

“Right now we need to finalist the bid and the specific locations but having it here in 2018 would be a cracker.”

The event would bring more than 500 competitors to the Coast, which would be just the third city in the world to host it following London and Orlando, Florida.

It would inject millions into the economy and would keep the party going after the Commonwealth Games

Members of the royal family including Prince Harry, Prince Charles and Prince William, all of military veterans would be likely to attend.

Invictus is Latin for “Unconquered, Undefeated”.

Among the venues which would be used are Metricon Stadium, the Upper Coomera Sports Centre and the Gold Coast Aquatic Centre.

The first Games were held in London in 2014 and were created after Prince Harry watched the UK team compete at the US Warrior Games the previous year.

At the time he said the Games would “demonstrate the power of sport to inspire recovery, support rehabilitation and demonstrate life beyond disability”.

The Games would be held in mid-2018 following the Commonwealth Games and feature 10 sports, including swimming, track and field, cycling, wheelchair rugby and basketball and triathlon.

The bid was welcomed by local veterans organisations, including the Southport RSL.

RSL secretary Alan Fortunheo said a Gold Coast Games would pay tribute to the service of veterans in a year which would mark a century since the end of World War I.

“It would be absolutely fantastic to have the Games here and it would raise awareness of our veterans and the wounded,” he said.

“We have a hugely proud veteran community here on the Coast and I think some of them would be interested in competing.

“Most of all, it would be in 2018 which will be the 100th anniversary of World War I’s end which is important to commemorate and it would let us show the pride we as a community have in our veterans.”

Australia competed at the first Games in 2014 and will be there at Orlando in 2016 which expected to be opened by the prince.

The inaugural event’s opening had a large-scale demonstration of military hardware, including a fly-by of the Red Arrows, displays by The King’s Troop Royal Horse Artillery and the Queen’s Colour Squadron

It also hosted a star-studded closing concert with major performing artists.

The first was headlined by superstars the Foo Fighters, James Blunt and Bryan Adams.

The 2016, the Games will be held in Orlando, Florida from May 8-12, 2016.

They say it goes for 5 days , the only way i can see them doing this at Metricon is if its done straight after comm games.
The Comm Games are going to be held in April and that article said the Invictus Games would be held mid-2018. It also specifically mentions Metricon as a preferred venue. Athletics is a key part of the Invictus Games and there really isn't any other athletics venue on the Gold Coast other than Metricon in 2018. There's no way they'll pack up everything athletics related only to set it back up again a few months later. The far more likely outcome is that the Suns have to play home games at the Gabba for most of 2018.

They generally get big musical acts to perform at the closing ceremony for the Invictus Games so that would be cool for the city. Last year in London they had the Foo Fighters, James Blunt, Ellie Goulding and Bryan Adams perform.

The Comm Games are going to be held in April and that article said the Invictus Games would be held mid-2018. It also specifically mentions Metricon as a preferred venue. Athletics is a key part of the Invictus Games and there really isn't any other athletics venue on the Gold Coast other than Metricon in 2018. There's no way they'll pack up everything athletics related only to set it back up again a few months later. The far more likely outcome is that the Suns have to play home games at the Gabba for most of 2018.

They generally get big musical acts to perform at the closing ceremony for the Invictus Games so that would be cool for the city. Last year in London they had the Foo Fighters, James Blunt, Ellie Goulding and Bryan Adams perform.

bummer if games at the 'gabba.. I prob wont sign up whole family as silver members, will just do a GA for me

They just had it on ch 9 news , said invictus games if successful would be held 9 months after comm games.

They just had it on ch 9 news , said invictus games if successful would be held 9 months after comm games.
Wouldn't that make it during the heart of summer? Firstly, * that. Secondly, that'll be during our pre-season anyway so it won't matter.

So we have conflicting reports. The Bulletin reports it would be held in mid-2018 and Nine News reports it'd be held 9 months after the Comm Games (January, 2019). Hard to believe they'd hold it in January 2019 considering the Games are held every two years. Next year's Invictus Games will be held in Orlando, Florida from 8-12 May and the 2014 edition was held in London on 10-14 September.

Holding a sports event right in the middle of Queensland's unforgiving summer would seem a strange decision. Either way, we know the Suns will have to play games outside of Metricon because of the Comm Games so it's just a simple case of extending their stay outside of Metricon if they do choose to hold the Invictus Games in mid-2018. I'm sure they could have it AFL-ready by the time finals roll around.

it's started going up! and by up I mean the frame, not just the slab above the carpark haha.

when I drove past this morning about 3/4 big white frames had been erected in the back corner of CLSC HALL 1. should see a fair bit more progress these next couple weeks I reckon!

it's started going up! and by up I mean the frame, not just the slab above the carpark haha.

when I drove past this morning about 3/4 big white frames had been erected in the back corner of CLSC HALL 1. should see a fair bit more progress these next couple weeks I reckon!
I saw this early today too, its starting to look huge

If I'm not mistaken, the back corner of the CSLC Hall 1 is in fact the Suns' new training and admin area. It's supposed to look like this when finished:

f00u8WL.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back