Teams Miami Dolphins - The Fins

Remove this Banner Ad

CR6vwttXAAAmLsd.jpg:large

Hello darkness my old friend.

Looks like he's drugged up to his eye balls and in a retirement home.

Ah, poor bugger. He seems like a decent guy so its sad to see look so terrible. Still the right move to get rid of him though!

Yeah, seemed a nice enough bloke but just wasn't cut out for the HC role I guess. Heard recently that none of the pep talks or w/e were given by Philbin. He always got Campbell to do it. Never seemed like the 'leader of men' type.

Yeah, seemed a nice enough bloke but just wasn't cut out for the HC role I guess. Heard recently that none of the pep talks or w/e were given by Philbin. He always got Campbell to do it. Never seemed like the 'leader of men' type.

Philbin came from one of the best systems in the NFL.. GB as their OC from 2007-2011 in which they were TOP TEN in every single season. In 2011, the Pack set FRANCHISE RECORDS for:

Regular season victories: 15
Points scored: 560
Total yards: 6,357

Now consider that the 560 points are the second most in NFL history!! During Phinbin's second and third seasons, the Packers became the FIRST team in NFL annals to have:

A 4,000+ yard passer (Aaron Rodgers)
A 1,200+ yard rusher (Ryan Grant)
and not one, but TWO 1,000+ yard receivers (Jennings & Driver) in consecutive seasons!!

I'm not buying into the story that Philbin isn't cut out for HCing.. He majored in 'Sociology' if you must know. I think it's more about the dysfunctional ways of the Dolphins franchise these days.

Lets have a quick look at what his replacement :

Dan Campbell was a journeyman TE (blocking) who was initially drafted by the G-Men in 1999. To receive a 'complimentary ring' as a back up whilst being on IR (with the Saints) is his 'resume jewell' that shines. So what is complexing is that the Miami franchise decides that after bring him onboard as an intern to learn the ropes in 2010 to promotion to TE coach in 2011… fast fwd the clock 4 years.. HEAD COACH !! :drunk:o_O

Looking at the Miami coaching list.. DC Kevin Coyle has been in the (coaching) NFL system since 2001… that's not including the 23 years prior in College ranks!! That's almost 30 years of experience yet is overlooked for a blocking TE with a voice… of four years!! :straining:o_O

Even the Fins assistant ST coach (Marwan Maalouf) has been in the NFL coaching system for 10 years.. WTF is going on down there??? :rainbow::confused:

I didn't mean to suggest that the position the dolphins find themselves in now is entirely down to Philbin, that would be ridiculous.

Nor did I mean to convey the idea that Dan Campbell is the man for the job (although he is a refreshing change). Dan Campbell from all reports is in the HC role because of his relationship with the players. A lot of the game day stuff that HC's might normally do is split up between the coaches apart from the obvious stuff. So Campbell is really the figurehead of a split effort. I actually think it was the right way to go.

You're right that internally everything isn't functional per se. I know for a fact that Mike Tannenbaum and Philbin did not share a good relationship. Tannanbaum did not think Philbin was up to the job and wanted him gone. The inside word was that Philbin was gone even if we went 10 - 6 this season. So I think these type of things need to be taken into account you're right.

But I could never see Philbin holding up the Super Bowl trophy. For a multitude of reasons it just wasn't working out. You might be right that Philbin may get another HC gig and do brilliantly in the future, but from a Miami perspective (which is all that I can comment on), it was the right time to part ways.

Philbin came from one of the best systems in the NFL.. GB as their OC from 2007-2011 in which they were TOP TEN in every single season. In 2011, the Pack set FRANCHISE RECORDS for:

Regular season victories: 15
Points scored: 560
Total yards: 6,357

Now consider that the 560 points are the second most in NFL history!! During Phinbin's second and third seasons, the Packers became the FIRST team in NFL annals to have:

A 4,000+ yard passer (Aaron Rodgers)
A 1,200+ yard rusher (Ryan Grant)
and not one, but TWO 1,000+ yard receivers (Jennings & Driver) in consecutive seasons!!

I'm not buying into the story that Philbin isn't cut out for HCing.. He majored in 'Sociology' if you must know. I think it's more about the dysfunctional ways of the Dolphins franchise these days.

Lets have a quick look at what his replacement :

Dan Campbell was a journeyman TE (blocking) who was initially drafted by the G-Men in 1999. To receive a 'complimentary ring' as a back up whilst being on IR (with the Saints) is his 'resume jewell' that shines. So what is complexing is that the Miami franchise decides that after bring him onboard as an intern to learn the ropes in 2010 to promotion to TE coach in 2011… fast fwd the clock 4 years.. HEAD COACH !! :drunk:o_O

Looking at the Miami coaching list.. DC Kevin Coyle has been in the (coaching) NFL system since 2001… that's not including the 23 years prior in College ranks!! That's almost 30 years of experience yet is overlooked for a blocking TE with a voice… of four years!! :straining:o_O

Even the Fins assistant ST coach (Marwan Maalouf) has been in the NFL coaching system for 10 years.. WTF is going on down there??? :rainbow::confused:
#NorvTurner

A great OC does not a great HC make.

Well, whatta first half! Were we that good or Texans that bad? That Reshad Jones pick looks like match fixing

And now Tannehill officially the best QB in the history of the league with 25 consecutive completions (shoulda been 26 too)!

Campbell has been a breath of fresh air - the last couple of weeks has been good to be a Phin. Not sure why we risked the QB in the second half - especially when you see Arian Foster do his Achilles late in the game.

Bring on the Pats!

Dagless ....

Although DeVante Parker's foot injury is to the same left foot he had surgically repaired in June, he says the issue is "nothing serious."

We're still concerned, as Parker also dealt with left foot issues as a senior at Louisville. Either way, Parker is calling it a "tissue issue." For now, it appears he'll play again this season.

Source: Armando Salguero on Twitter

The Dolphins haven't been allowing Ryan Tannehill to change plays at the line of scrimmage.

OC Bill Lazor typically gives Tannehill one pass option and one run option on a given play, though sometimes he's not allowed to change the play at all. It's a little concerning that the Dolphins don't trust Tannehill enough to let him adjust the play at the line of scrimmage, particularly now that he's in his fourth season. Interim coach Dan Campbell believes opening up the playbook might slow down Tannehill's rhythm. "We felt like he could be a better passer by taking a little bit of a load off of him," said Campbell. Tannehill has had "conversations" with Lazor about the team's restrictive audible policies but said "he's the coordinator." Tannehill might not get the freedom he wants until the Dolphins hire a new coach.

Source: Miami Herald

Its a hard one this, to my probably naive view of the world the fact that he cant call an audible is crazy. I don't know if other QB's have this restriction. On one hand he is not necessarily a natural QB - i think from memory his first year at college was as a receiver. And I know that our offensive line is still quite poor so maybe there is a lack of trust in both them and Tannehill to remember and make plays, but if things are not working and you have made the decision that this is your franchise QB and paying him as such, then if he can see a formation lining up that could result in a disaster, then let him call a play!

I mean we have had 3 friggen safety's in the last 3 games haha. There is plenty that needs to be fixed, but its like we are trying to do it with one hand tied behind his back. My personal view is that despite his faults, he is potentially a top 10 QB. And with the AFC East in particular being so competitive we ain't making play offs so lets use this opportunity to test him out and give him some freedom. But whilst I think Coach Campbell has shown to be a bit bold, I think the Lazor offence is too rigid and conservative to allow it to happen.

Are there other QB's with number of years experience who can't change plays at scrimmage?

Its a hard one this, to my probably naive view of the world the fact that he cant call an audible is crazy. I don't know if other QB's have this restriction. On one hand he is not necessarily a natural QB - i think from memory his first year at college was as a receiver. And I know that our offensive line is still quite poor so maybe there is a lack of trust in both them and Tannehill to remember and make plays, but if things are not working and you have made the decision that this is your franchise QB and paying him as such, then if he can see a formation lining up that could result in a disaster, then let him call a play!

I mean we have had 3 friggen safety's in the last 3 games haha. There is plenty that needs to be fixed, but its like we are trying to do it with one hand tied behind his back. My personal view is that despite his faults, he is potentially a top 10 QB. And with the AFC East in particular being so competitive we ain't making play offs so lets use this opportunity to test him out and give him some freedom. But whilst I think Coach Campbell has shown to be a bit bold, I think the Lazor offence is too rigid and conservative to allow it to happen.

Are there other QB's with number of years experience who can't change plays at scrimmage?
Usually, guru QBs like Brady, Manning, Rodgers, etc have full or near-full power to change plays and basically run an offense like they were the OC on the field....especially in certain drives here and there where the QB demands the game be put on his shoulders and the OC who implicitly trusts him allows him so given the game might be in the balance and the QB has a better feel for what's happening.....but that is the rare guru QB.

Most highly experienced QBs still can change plays here and there, but the QB would be strongly encouraged to not overdo it.

But actually audibling out of plays is usually a given for QBs with 2+ years of experience...like they said...always given 1 pass and 1 run play to "kill" to. But again, not overdo it either.

Always depends on years of experience and how much of a guru the QB is. Tannehill certainly isn't a guru, or highly experienced for that matter. Like you said, he's still learning the position after only adopting the position fairly recently. And his QB skills aren't the best anyway compared to others like Matt Ryan, etc.

So, in regards to this story.....it's reasonable for Tannehill to be allowed to audible out now and then with 1 pass 1 run play at his disposal. But it's a bit unreasonable for the OC to not allow him AT ALL the ability to change plays at the LOS -- that'd be changing recievers routes, changing blocking protection schemes, changing rushing play directions/blocking if it were a run play. A QB should be allowed SOME leeway to alter a play at the LOS, changing up a receivers route based on the defense he's reading and may think the designed play, or some of its components, isn't the best for what he's seeing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

According to Miami journalist. I had heard one pass, one rush play are presented to him that he "can" choose from at LOS

tannehill.jpg

The Miami Herald reports the Dolphins coaching staff views Ryan Tannehill as a game manager.

Tannehill is paid as a top-10 quarterback, but there’s a divide between the front office and coaches over whether he’s capable of carrying the offense. OC Bill Lazor has reportedly limited the audibles Tannehill can call at the line of scrimmage. Tannehill has clearly regressed from his breakout 2014, and looks to be settling in as a mid-range starter. Tannehill's contract should keep him in Miami for at least the next two seasons.

Source: Miami Herald

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...py-to-move-on-from-lazor?campaign=Twitter_atn

"I'm just excited about being part of the game plan," Tannehill said Wednesday (via ESPN.com), two days after the Dolphinsannounced they had dismissed Lazor following a lopsided loss to the Jets. "Working with the coaches Monday and (Tuesday), just being a part of the game-plan process and having my thoughts heard and kind of putting our heads together to create some of the things we want to do, it's been fun so far."

Well it appears we are finally going to see if Tannehill has the chops to be a star QB. I personally think he has the talent (fair bit of bias I admit), but has had one hand tied behind his back because of being confined to a system which he can't adjust, as well as a pathetic O-Line that has basically meant running slant plays or else being sacked. OK the O-line is still an issue but he now has options to truly run the offense. It's time to see if he really can be a top 10 QB so at least there is something to look out for for the rest of this shocker of a season. Put up or shut up time Tanny!

Meh, sack em all. They've given up, why should the fans care?

I read that Salguero article - I usually have a bit of time for him, but that's a rubbish article and suggestion. Assuming you could get Payton, why would he agree to join the Dolphins when they have compromised their next couple of drafts to get him??

Anyway I am not averse to wholesale changes ... everyone is for sale. Except Landry! And I still like my man Wake too. But everyone else is on the market!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back