Michael Clarke retiring from ODI Cricket

Remove this Banner Ad

Massive tall poppy syndrome happening here. The bloke will be remembered for leading us to the 5-0 win over England aswell as the series win over South Africa in South Africa. The decision to make him captain, in hindsight, was a great one. He stepped up his game and dragged us in tests when he was the only one performing. His record as captain speaks for itself. Team mates hate him or not, he's brought us back from the brink to almost the number one cricketing nation in all formats (not sure about t20)

Massive tall poppy syndrome happening here. The bloke will be remembered for leading us to the 5-0 win over England aswell as the series win over South Africa in South Africa. The decision to make him captain, in hindsight, was a great one. He stepped up his game and dragged us in tests when he was the only one performing. His record as captain speaks for itself. Team mates hate him or not, he's brought us back from the brink to almost the number one cricketing nation in all formats (not sure about t20)
I think that should be used for the day he calls it quits from all cricket. If he was retiring from test cricket I could rattle off 10 100s that were top notch. Tbh I really can't at odi level

Who cares
Utter nonsense.

How many people will be tuning in tomorrow thinking 'Wow, Michael Clarke's last ODI' rather than 'It's the World Cup final'?

It's remarkable how often the same old tropes get dusted off around here.

Where did I say anything negative?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think that should be used for the day he calls it quits from all cricket. If he was retiring from test cricket I could rattle off 10 100s that were top notch. Tbh I really can't at odi level
Looking over his one day centuries it is not surprising you feel that way. At this time he has 8 ODI centuries.

The first one(105 from 102 balls) was when opening the batting chasing a low total of 196 against Zimbabwe. Australia won by 8 wickets

The second one (103 from 107 balls) was when opening the batting and chasing a low total of 163 against Pakistan. Australia won by 9 wickets and Ponting(17 of 51 balls) deliberately batted slowly for Clarke to get his century.

The third one (130 from 132 balls) was a quality innings helping Australia post 307 batting first against India. The match was abandoned 2.4 overs into the second innings.

The fourth one (100 from 122 balls) was when chasing a low total of 197 against Pakistan. Had a good partnership with Watson and Australia won by 8 wickets.

The fifth one (111 from 139 balls) came when batting first against India. Australia was helped to a total of 289 for the loss of 3 wickets with a fast Cameron White innings of 89 from 49 balls. India chased the total down with ease. It could be argued Clarke's low strike rate harmed Australia's chances.

The sixth one (101 from 111 balls) was batting first against Bangladesh helping Australia to a total of 270. Bangladesh plodded along to a total of 210.

The seventh one (117 from 91 balls) was by far his best ODI century IMO. I witnessed this live at Adelaide oval. David Warner made an extremely selfish 100 from 140 balls taking his sweet ass time to get his century at the expense of the team while Clarke did the heavy lifting at the other end. Australia made 271 which was chased down with ease by Sri Lanka who won by 8 wickets with 34 balls to spare.

The most recent one (105 from 102) helped Australia post 315 batting first against England. England were bowled out for 227 in reply.

TLDR: Of his 8 ODI centuries 3 came in chases of totals under 200 that Australia won comfortably, 1 was batting first against Bangladesh, 1 was batting first in a match that was abandoned, 2 were batting first in losses, and 1 helped Australia post a good total against England in a match Australia won.

So have you forgot the 2013 ashes series

I don't blame you for forgetting the 20/20
http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket...mpletes-ashes-humiliation-20110107-19i3n.html

Although I still think 20/20 will overtake the ODI's and become the favoured format for limited overs.

Just said tomorrow will be his last ODI. Right time IMO. Good on him, he's had a great career and will now be able to focus on Tests. Steve Smith a lock for captain?

yep, a great decision

Looking over his one day centuries it is not surprising you feel that way. At this time he has 8 ODI centuries.

The first one(105 from 102 balls) was when opening the batting chasing a low total of 196 against Zimbabwe. Australia won by 8 wickets

The second one (103 from 107 balls) was when opening the batting and chasing a low total of 163 against Pakistan. Australia won by 9 wickets and Ponting(17 of 51 balls) deliberately batted slowly for Clarke to get his century.

The third one (130 from 132 balls) was a quality innings helping Australia post 307 batting first against India. The match was abandoned 2.4 overs into the second innings.

The fourth one (100 from 122 balls) was when chasing a low total of 197 against Pakistan. Had a good partnership with Watson and Australia won by 8 wickets.

The fifth one (111 from 139 balls) came when batting first against India. Australia was helped to a total of 289 for the loss of 3 wickets with a fast Cameron White innings of 89 from 49 balls. India chased the total down with ease. It could be argued Clarke's low strike rate harmed Australia's chances.

The sixth one (101 from 111 balls) was batting first against Bangladesh helping Australia to a total of 270. Bangladesh plodded along to a total of 210.

The seventh one (117 from 91 balls) was by far his best ODI century IMO. I witnessed this live at Adelaide oval. David Warner made an extremely selfish 100 from 140 balls taking his sweet ass time to get his century at the expense of the team while Clarke did the heavy lifting at the other end. Australia made 271 which was chased down with ease by Sri Lanka who won by 8 wickets with 34 balls to spare.

The most recent one (105 from 102) helped Australia post 315 batting first against England. England were bowled out for 227 in reply.

TLDR: Of his 8 ODI centuries 3 came in chases of totals under 200 that Australia won comfortably, 1 was batting first against Bangladesh, 1 was batting first in a match that was abandoned, 2 were batting first in losses, and 1 helped Australia post a good total against England in a match Australia won.
I think I couldn't find many innings that memorable as so man of his test hundreds

Has Sweet Jesus ever posted while Clarke is on field?
Yeah, I done it before. All I want is for the Australian cricket team to be the best that it can possibly be and for the boys to be the best Australian cricketers that they can possibly be. I'm the fittest I've been in five years. It's a pretty special moment. We're always trying to improve and get better every day. I'm a class act.

Last edited:
Micheal Clarke excellent cricketer as a person self obsorb flog I'm glad his leaving the ODI formatt next stop test then we can get some mate ship back in the australian cricket culture instead of individuals who would rather drink wine on a billionaires yatch instead of having a beer with his team mate on the night of his last test his been nothing but a spoilt bratt his whole career tremendous cricketer dosent make him a champion leader his far from it
The decision to retire should of been announced next week not today if people think he deserve to do what he likes cause his earnt it is the biggest load of bullshit I've ever heard micheal Clarke one individual is not bigger then the Australian team the team comes first not Clarke

Micheal Clarke excellent cricketer as a person self obsorb flog I'm glad his leaving the ODI formatt next stop test then we can get some mate ship back in the australian cricket culture instead of individuals who would rather drink wine on a billionaires yatch instead of having a beer with his team mate on the night of his last test his been nothing but a spoilt bratt his whole career tremendous cricketer dosent make him a champion leader his far from it
The decision to retire should of been announced next week not today if people think he deserve to do what he likes cause his earnt it is the biggest load of bullshit I've ever heard micheal Clarke one individual is not bigger then the Australian team the team comes first not Clarke
Which one are you in this ad?

mateship > new weird stuff

Solid post, there is a reason Katich snotted him in the changerooms.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back