Michael Clarke vs the World

Remove this Banner Ad

I read it as more like reporting player's thoughts without directly quoting, he wouldn't be writing this sort of article unless the info was pretty good.
Yeah the Hughes incident made everyone forget the, in my opinion, immature and arrogant attitude Clarke was demonstrating before the first Test.

No point tagging me, I have posted similar stuff on here for a very long time - maybe the pennies are starting to drop for some people. He's a pretty average bloke. Too much show not enough substance when it doesn't concern him. Great cricketer.

No point tagging me, I have posted similar stuff on here for a very long time - maybe the pennies are starting to drop for some people. He's a pretty average bloke. Too much show not enough substance when it doesn't concern him. Great cricketer.

Nah I just recall you saying something along these lines when he was selected for the world cup squad.

I think Dravid thought selecting a clearly injured player was not the way Australian cricket normally worked

Nah I just recall you saying something along these lines when he was selected for the world cup squad.

I think Dravid thought selecting a clearly injured player was not the way Australian cricket normally worked
The story is spot on. He was savage that Chappelli suggested that he should not come back as Captain- if he gets back at all, following this he mysteriously made it into the Commentary Box for a few tests. The persona you get on air is not the real deal.

I don't think the hierarchy want him to get back for the World Cup, but they had to be seen to give him a fair chance. I was told the surgery went better than expected and he is such an individually focussed character that doing the work will not be an issue.

Last edited:
i commented on clarke and his wc chances in various threads on this forum. i dont want clarke in the squad as prefer him to focus on tests and the ashes. his health is too important to risk.

i also expressed view that clarke in the commentary box was not a good look, especially given he was talking about what the team should do.

he said in the past 72 hours that he will not go into the wc unless 100% fit. surely with an injury you cant be 100% fit after compromising it (muscle, tendon etc).

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...4132d990aba1337770082e19#.VMbOIPbHL6c.twitter

Another one. This bit particularly interesting.

Selectors decided early there needed to be certainty around the team. Clarke said he would be ready by the third or fourth match, they said fine we will give until the second game and if you aren’t ready then forget it. Make of that what you will. All parties deny it but there are tensions between the selection panel, coach and the captain. Talk behind the scenes is the relationship is poor and it is.

Also, this is astonishing.

Injuries and rest periods have seen Clarke play just 17 of 45 one- day games since 2013 — he has barely played half of all games since assuming the captaincy from Ponting.

So he barely plays the game, and he thinks he has a right to be given as long as he wants to prove his fitness then just stroll back into the side?

What ever happens:
- Clarke's career is closer to the end than the beginning.
- He has and continues to be a wonderful servant to the team.
- Management's job is to manage players and that includes Clarke. Management should simply focus on doing their job.
- Media will always be media and write about something everyone can see but then goes further and delves into areas that offer no value discussing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I didn't have the guts to say it at the time but I hated how he made the Hughes incident all about himself. Seemed to love all the media attention. Also thought similar to Warner, Lee and Watson.

Plenty of people (including me) was saying this at the time and got howled down for being insensitive, it was true though.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...4132d990aba1337770082e19#.VMbOIPbHL6c.twitter

So he barely plays the game, and he thinks he has a right to be given as long as he wants to prove his fitness then just stroll back into the side?
Expecting the squad to quite literally carry a dead weight for three games in the world cup doesn't do anything to get rid of the impression I've always had that he's a bit narcissistic. Even ignoring that, he doesn't seem to have realistic expectations of what his body is capable of. He's going to put himself in a wheelchair if he's not careful.

I didn't have the guts to say it at the time but I hated how he made the Hughes incident all about himself. Seemed to love all the media attention. Also thought similar to Warner, Lee and Watson.

Plenty of people (including me) was saying this at the time and got howled down for being insensitive, it was true though.

i expressed similar opinion however not on this forum (it was verbal not written). the sydney test segment on hughes had clarkes monologue coinciding with him looking towards the sky, pensive, camera panning around him 360 degrees. im sure it was mostly a ch 9 decision to do this however.

not sure about watson enjoying the attention. brett lee? hmmm, not so much either although he was at the pointy end of the march post funeral. didnt think any of it.

what i was upset at most (during the time when i was very sad) was the lack of attention paid to the south australian team mates. it was very much nsw nsw nsw.

Another problem with Michael Clarke is that he's proven to be unreliable when assessing his own fitness.
Compare this to Ryan Harris.

Though Clarke is when fully fit a walkup start in our ODI side.
Have thought, and voiced, the same thing in the past as well as plenty of others. Whenever I hear him say "I'm the best judge of my own body" I just think that he's quite clearly not.

To be perfectly honest, I don't really care what he's like as a bloke. The team over the last 13 months has been the best we've had in years and whilst obviously Johnson's sheer dominance and others' individual brilliance has played its part, Clarke has clearly led the team very well. Who cares if he's angry about a deadline date, it's hardly surprising that a captain is desperate to lead his country. On the question of Smith vs Clarke as skipper, I'll be taking the better tactician and clearly great captain over an inexperienced leader who appears tactically average, even if he does make the players feel more "relaxed". It's not their job to feel relaxed, it's their job to play well. Really don't like the amount of talking the players have clearly been doing to the media about this, they should have other priorities.

Last edited:
Who cares if he's angry about a deadline date, it's hardly surprising that a captain it's desperate to lead his country.

true that. especially in home country.

On the question of Smith vs Clarke as skipper, I'll be taking the better tactician and clearly great captain over an inexperienced leader who appears tactically average, even if he does make the players feel more "relaxed".

allow me to take an opposing view. would you take a tactically brilliant player into a tournament/series if he wasn't suited to the format or fit?

Michael Clarke is our captain and best player. Not Steve Smith. He is the VC and his time will come.

The sooner these idiots get it through their heads, the better.

Clarke is a brilliant batsman and a great captain. As good a patch as Smith is going through, he is unlikely to reach the heights that Clarke has.

Way to just take a half-arsed point and run with it. He'd missed, IIRC before he went down at the Gabba, one test match.

He was appointed captain of his country and has not once let us down since he accepted it.

Even more laughable is the fact that you don't recognise the ego's behind this 'spat'.

All we'd heard from Clarke is how desperate he is to get fit, until now.

How short are the odds that David Warner and Shane Watson are driving this?

You have a top 5 batsman in the world, possibly the best, and you want to see him driven out into the cold.

Do you get off on the controversy? Is it a personal vendetta from a few years back when we all doubted him?

Get. a. *******. grip.

I was unaware that the_interloper was Phillip's father. How silly of me.

How in the world would you know what they asked of him?

Unless you're his dad, mum, sister or brother - you have no idea.

So just shut it.

I was unaware that the_interloper was Phillip's father. How silly of me.

How in the world would you know what they asked of him?

Unless you're his dad, mum, sister or brother - you have no idea.

So just shut it.

I didn't mention what his family had asked from him at all, I just thought that he enjoyed being the centre of attention and made the mourning process about him, and I'm not the lone ranger there.

Or if we're not in the Hughes family we can't have an opinion? Unless you're his Dad, Mum, sister or brother you have no idea so you can't have an opinion. "So just shut it".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back