Michael Clarke vs the World

Remove this Banner Ad

The majority of these guys are twats because they are told since they were 12 how good they will be and everyone sucks up to them. Then they get to first class level and they aren't the only ones like that. Egos will clash. Most will always treat fans with respect and dignity because that's what strokes their ego. Very few I'd guess are tossers outside of the cricketing world - but in it, they all try to be top dog etc. It's why they are successful - driven, competitive, never want to be second best. The majority would be able to handle the ego clashes, very rarely does it escalate as it has a couple of times in the last few years (Clarke/Katich and Watson). I'd say regardless of what Watson, Warner, Smith or whoever thinks of Clarke and his personality, his return will be welcomed for the WC and they will support him for the entirety of the tournament. The Invincibles and Pontings and Waughs 16 had their factions too...it's the ones who can't get over it who won't keep their spots

As I have tried to convey to you - it's a slow burn, the culture of the unit was crap, the relationships dysfunctional, fault on all sides and the Captain is not immune from criticism.
Yeah, you can keep banging that drum.

But I'm responding specifically to that excerpt, in which Wade seems like he was throwing his weight around way more than he should have, Watson sounds thin-skinned and petty, and Warner sounds, frankly, like a loose cannon and a knob. There's nothing implicating Clarke, unless he is somehow indirectly responsible for Warner taking a swing at Root.

Don't focus too much on individual things - focus on what type of environment had been created and how deep division, insecurity and mistrust had been allowed to develop and thrive.
And blame Clarke for all of it.

Even if no one can cite any specific behaviour that corroborates this, you can always cite the fact Katich lost his temper with him six years ago and let people's irrational anti-Clarke biases fill in the blanks.

Last edited:

Also important to note that Dan Brettig and Brydon Coverdale in particular have massive issues with Shane Watson and always have. Little lefty pinko's hate seeing a private schoolboy do well, even if he is from a backwater like Ipswich.

Unlike that twat Robert Craddock who did have genuine relationships with players in the 80's & 90's (but largely ignored now) - Brettig would get no inside info at all, as every single first class cricketer in Australia thinks he is a complete ******* - so you can be sure that many of his 'inside knowledge' would be chinese whispers and 3rd hand.
So what about the direct quotes?

So what about the direct quotes?

It's not a direct quote without a name to it.

I don't think Wade did much wrong, as fines master you are fines master and you look for any reason to fine a bloke. Same as at a footy club.

Watson, quite rightly would be thinking why the * am I getting fined for wearing a vest, and Warner isn't fined for belting a bloke in a pub at 2am?

I was going to say that's not Wade's fault, as he may not have known about it - but Wade was allegedly at the bar when it occurred!

Interesting that Haddin was the other player that had no time for Arthur though.

That's not true.

If there are quote marks around it, it's being presented as a direct quote and should be read as such. The fact there is no name doesn't change that.

Besides, there are also direct quotes that are attributed.

I don't think Wade did much wrong, as fines master you are fines master and you look for any reason to fine a bloke. Same as at a footy club.
Sure, but there's also the potential for guys in that position to get carried away.

Watson, quite rightly would be thinking why the **** am I getting fined for wearing a vest, and Warner isn't fined for belting a bloke in a pub at 2am?
It's more the sense that Watson was sulking because he felt persecuted.

Unlike that twat Robert Craddock who did have genuine relationships with players in the 80's & 90's (but largely ignored now) - Brettig would get no inside info at all, as every single first class cricketer in Australia thinks he is a complete ******* - so you can be sure that many of his 'inside knowledge' would be chinese whispers and 3rd hand.

There are direct quotes from Hussey, Ponting and Cowan in the book, along with Micky Arthur, CA board member Mark Taylor and players chief Paul Marsh, all throughout the book. Obviously none of the people currently on an CA contract are gonna give their names to quotes in this book but I have little doubt he hasn't got some direct information from people in the team. Ionically, Shane Watson seems like one of the obvious ones who has talked to Brettig

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watson, quite rightly would be thinking why the **** am I getting fined for wearing a vest, and Warner isn't fined for belting a bloke in a pub at 2am?

I was going to say that's not Wade's fault, as he may not have known about it - but Wade was allegedly at the bar when it occurred!

Interesting that Haddin was the other player that had no time for Arthur though.

Of course it is. The fact that it is not attributed does not change that fact.

Also, its meant as a bit of fun, actually fining people for actual wrong doing is probably best left for CA.

Don't focus too much on individual things - focus on what type of environment had been created and how deep division, insecurity and mistrust had been allowed to develop and thrive.

How do you figure?

Because Warner was a knob, Wade overstepped his mark, Watson was a (somewhat justified) petulant dick?

Individual things done by individuals create the environment.

How do you figure?

Because Warner was a knob, Wade overstepped his mark, Watson was a (somewhat justified) petulant dick?

Individual things done by individuals create the environment.

If you have ever played team sport you will know it takes a special kind of campaigner to make a good fines master. If not, the whole thing doesn't work very well.

If you have ever played team sport you will know it takes a special kind of campaigner to make a good fines master. If not, the whole thing doesn't work very well.

Yeah - wearing the wrong shirt is exactly the kind of thing that attracts the attention of the fines master.

It wasn't mentioned in the first part, but one of the things that's mentioned in the Indian tour is that Rod Marsh, who wasn't even head selector at the time, got talking to Border and found out that Border, Waugh, Taylor didn't want the captain to be on the selection panel, and so in combo with Border went over to Clarke and they essentially convinced Clarke to stand down from the panel, which I find extraordinary on the part of Marsh. Of course, Clarke's resignation wasn't accepted at the time.....

(Ponting speaks a couple of times about how a player he felt was unfit got picked, which probably explains why Ponting wants the captain to be on the panel)

I was just watching Offsiders where they played an excerpt of Clarke's post-match presser. He mentioned that the team is caught up in the power side of the game, and that in the week leading up to the game they had done no drills at all covering the swinging ball or recovering an innings after a shaky start.

Deflection? A shot across the bows of the coaching staff?

The Offsiders panel found it, as do I, an odd thing to say.

I was just watching Offsiders where they played an excerpt of Clarke's post-match presser. He mentioned that the team is caught up in the power side of the game, and that in the week leading up to the game they had done no drills at all covering the swinging ball or recovering an innings after a shaky start.

Deflection? A shot across the bows of the coaching staff?

The Offsiders panel found it, as do I, an odd thing to say.

damn missed it. love that show.

i feel that is a little jab at the coaches. although he may well have a point. ODIs are now just as much about blasting the bowlers out of the attack. grafting an innings, although an underrated and at times necessary skill, is taking a back seat. this ability is clarkes forte, not bludgeoning balls.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back