Michael Clarke vs the World

Remove this Banner Ad

If that was all there was to it, you would be right, but there's more.
Either way, Symonds shot himself in the foot. He could have played on if he wanted.

Why do you think I want the Roy book?
Have you got a secret?

There are thousands of people who have a direct or indirect involvement with sport and media who 'hear things'. If you think you've got a mainline to covert truths, then put them out there.

Last edited:

I dunno what this article sets out to achieve than trivial gossip.

When your only quote is something from a former South African captain which isn't directly related to the topic, you know you are getting trademark tabloid newspaper material.

It matters when you are captain and the players don't respect you
That's hearsay at best. Also, there's a MASSIVE difference between not liking someone and not respecting someone. I'd be staggered if any Australian, even Watson, didn't respect Clarke as a cricketer. Not liking him is another matter and unimportant in the grand scheme of things.

I dunno what this article sets out to achieve than trivial gossip.

When your only quote is something from a former South African captain which isn't directly related to the topic, you know you are getting trademark tabloid newspaper material.
I think it starts from a reasonable place but then extrapolates too far, relying on bits and pieces that aren't significant enough to support the far-fetched conclusion.

Specifically, I think it's reasonable to say that Clarke has butted heads with management over the issue of his fitness. And it's reasonable to assume that if they have to leave him out of the WC squad, he's not going to be happy.

If the article left it there, no problem.

But the article then goes further, marrying this issue of Clarke's fitness with innuendo about his personality and the dressing room politics, to imply that Clarke might be forced out permanently. For mine, that's a bridge too far. A bit of kite-flying. And the article doesn't really offer much of substance to support the extreme outcome being proposed. He missed a BBQ. That's hardly a sign of all-out mutiny.

Last edited:
Sounds like Clarke is a prick to work with and now he's badly injured and Smith's done a decent job as captain CA and the players are willing to ditch him.

It's over unless he's willing to be not captain and selected on a Test-by-Test basis. He will not accept that so it is over.

Sounds like Clarke is a prick to work with and now he's badly injured and Smith's done a decent job as captain CA and the players are willing to ditch him.

It's over unless he's willing to be not captain and selected on a Test-by-Test basis. He will not accept that so it is over.
It's all been decided.

We know this because he wasn't at Warner's BBQ.

When can we expect the announcement?

Team Chemistry has to come into the argument for the World cup at some point surely

Over the past year we have played 17 ODI's (won 14, Lost 4)
Our players have played the following

Finch 17/17 = 100%
Bailey 16/17 = 94%
Maxwell 16/17 = 94%
Smith 15/17 = 88%
Faulkner 13/17 = 76%
Starc 13/17 = 76%
Haddin 12/17 = 70%

M.Clarke 2/17 = 11%
Even if you stretch it back to 2 years, Clarke has only played in 30% of our ODI's leading up to the largest limited overs tournament
I dont think hes the player you just automatically slot into a side that is going well

Chicks can ruin everything - sad when that happens.

I don't know why Clarke is so desperate to play the WC anyway, Tests are what matter; forget the WC and get right for the Ashes.

You are kidding right?

The WC in your country versus playing an away Test series (Ashes).

All day, every day. The World Cup.

M.Clarke 2/17 = 11%
Even if you stretch it back to 2 years, Clarke has only played in 30% of our ODI's leading up to the largest limited overs tournament
I dont think hes the player you just automatically slot into a side that is going well
That's a fair point but his overall record remains absolutely top-drawer.

He's not the player you discard lightly either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Had we lost the test series to India, CA would have been pleading for him to come back.

If he was selfish. The best thing to have done would have been to not play in Adelaide test, we lose the test match and effectively (possibly) draw the series and India retain the trophy. Smith fails as captain.

It all went pear shaped for Clarke when Smith became Bradman in the Test series and captained the team to regain the trophy.

That would be a major climbdown from this.

April-May is 3-4 months away. It won't look bad by then.

Clarke gets to keep his personal brand untarnished (useful while playing in the IPL and BBL for the next 5 years). CA and the team get to move along. That's win-win.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back