Delisted Michael Close (2012-2017)

Remove this Banner Ad

He's not exactly setting the world on fire. Averaging four disposals a game from his four games (from memory he was subbed twice). He's not good at contested footy and I suspect he's not good at knowing where to run. Defensively he's above average, but overall he isn't producing much to get excited about.

I agree, but I think there might've been some improvement at getting to the contest. He seemed to be a lot more prominent.

That goal from the 50m penalty showed the value for a key forward of just presenting and hoping for a bit of luck.

A number of times he seemed to go for the wrong option when marking, or just fail to position himself well by even a few centimetres. That Cutler pass early was a great example: it was a superb pass and he was just slightly too slow getting his arms up to mark. I'd like to think that'll improve with time.

On that 50m penalty, can anyone clarify for me what happened there? On the TV it looked like there was an infringement in the centre square, and that's where the 50m penalty was measured from, but why then did Close take the kick? Was it just that the umpire gave a stupidly long 50m?

I agree, but I think there might've been some improvement at getting to the contest. He seemed to be a lot more prominent.

That goal from the 50m penalty showed the value for a key forward of just presenting and hoping for a bit of luck.

A number of times he seemed to go for the wrong option when marking, or just fail to position himself well by even a few centimetres. That Cutler pass early was a great example: it was a superb pass and he was just slightly too slow getting his arms up to mark. I'd like to think that'll improve with time.

On that 50m penalty, can anyone clarify for me what happened there? On the TV it looked like there was an infringement in the centre square, and that's where the 50m penalty was measured from, but why then did Close take the kick? Was it just that the umpire gave a stupidly long 50m?

On the 50m penalty I think it was due to Petrie fighting in the centre square area and the ump was just very generous with how he measured out the 50m

On Close though, he seems far too raw still. I just don't think he has the body to play senior AFL footy at the moment. He is far too easily pushed aside in most marking contest. It is what happens to all young forwards, but I thought he would have developed a bit more by now.

On Close though, he seems far too raw still. I just don't think he has the body to play senior AFL footy at the moment. He is far too easily pushed aside in most marking contest. It is what happens to all young forwards, but I thought he would have developed a bit more by now.

Should we expect key forwards to develop more slowly when they play in the NEAFL most weeks, as opposed to stronger seconds leagues? I guess when the average height of KPPs is a bit smaller you get used to being able to reach over your opponent and maybe don't develop the positioning sense as quickly.

Just spitballing.

Should we expect key forwards to develop more slowly when they play in the NEAFL most weeks, as opposed to stronger seconds leagues? I guess when the average height of KPPs is a bit smaller you get used to being able to reach over your opponent and maybe don't develop the positioning sense as quickly.

Just spitballing.

Yeah absolutely.

I mean Browny was almost ready to play from day 1 because he spent a year playing seniors down in Geelong / Warrnambool (or wherever it was). Interestingly Leigh Matthews in his new book (Accept the Challenge) seems to be an advocate of the big benefits of young players playing against more senior bodies as opposed to what usually happens these days in terms of playing under 18's.

Close showed some great signs yesterday in fact they were the first real quality signs I have seen from him at senior level so far. That beautiful snap highlighted his agility and ability at ground level. That big pack mark on the wing highlighted his strong marking ability and that set shot showed that he could convert his opportunities. He seemed a bit lost and unconfident in his first couple of senior matches but after he kicked his 1st goal against North his confidence grew and he started to get more involved and followed up with a nice pack mark and he kicked another goal. He has a long way to go but I think he has developed a fair bit through the reserves and I would like to see Leppa persist with him in the seniors so we can see how he goes.

Yeah absolutely.

I mean Browny was almost ready to play from day 1 because he spent a year playing seniors down in Geelong / Warrnambool (or wherever it was). Interestingly Leigh Matthews in his new book (Accept the Challenge) seems to be an advocate of the big benefits of young players playing against more senior bodies as opposed to what usually happens these days in terms of playing under 18's.
Close is developing nicely. Its easy to forget he is still 19 for a couple of months. Victorian posters here are traditionally derogatory about the NEAFL but should be aware of the strengthening of the Comp this year which has improved the standard . Besides the Swans and GWS reserves our boys are playing some very good mature footballers each week. Our Ressies are actually sitting 9th. due in part to our injury levels but also to the quality of the Comp. Close does not dominate in this comp but will need to in the next year and we will then know if we have a keeper.

Yeah I realise that about the NEAFL this year.

We still did dominate it last year during Close's first season with us, although I was thinking more about under 18's that almost all players play these days as oppossed to having to toughen up early by playing senior footy against men even before you get to an AFL side.

Close is developing nicely. Its easy to forget he is still 19 for a couple of months. Victorian posters here are traditionally derogatory about the NEAFL but should be aware of the strengthening of the Comp this year which has improved the standard . Besides the Swans and GWS reserves our boys are playing some very good mature footballers each week. Our Ressies are actually sitting 9th. due in part to our injury levels but also to the quality of the Comp. Close does not dominate in this comp but will need to in the next year and we will then know if we have a keeper.

Well I'm hoping he's a keeper or we've just re-signed a list clogger for 3 seasons :confused:

Yeah I realise that about the NEAFL this year.

We still did dominate it last year during Close's first season with us, although I was thinking more about under 18's that almost all players play these days as oppossed to having to toughen up early by playing senior footy against men even before you get to an AFL side.
Always been a fan of U19s rather than U18's as the ultimate Junior level. It was always the way and sits much better with mental and physical maturity. School is out of the way and the prospective AFL player has had to have a serious think about UNI/Trade/football and how it all fits together. Better than expecting precocious 17yo's and sometimes ambitious parents to make whole of life decisions with the pressure of end of schooling.

He's not exactly setting the world on fire. Averaging four disposals a game from his four games (from memory he was subbed twice). He's not good at contested footy and I suspect he's not good at knowing where to run. Defensively he's above average, but overall he isn't producing much to get excited about.
Calm down, he's just kicked his 1st goal.
Well I'm hoping he's a keeper or we've just re-signed a list clogger for 3 seasons :confused:
:confused:

Just trying to describe where he's at. Most young key forwards tend to find it difficult early on in their careers, so I don't really think it is that harsh to suggest Close is struggling to make the grade at this stage.
At the ground you could see him contesting really intensely, but was usually outnumbered or didn't get anything resembling decent delivery. I was actually really impressed with his effort, unfortunately couldn't get a lot done from it though.

Tends to be the other way around - Victorians assume it's at least in the same league as the southern secondary comps, until the northern posters roughly disabuse them of the notion. Usually when they're trying to figure out how someone can dominate the reserves and then flop in the seniors.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is only a second year KPF and was never touted as a freak and ready to take the game on like Jeremy Cameron did in his second year. Happy with his progress hope he gets a few more games and a few more goals to get the confidence up. Not really expecting a lot from him until next year or the year after.

Tends to be the other way around - Victorians assume it's at least in the same league as the southern secondary comps, until the northern posters roughly disabuse them of the notion. Usually when they're trying to figure out how someone can dominate the reserves and then flop in the seniors.
Williamstown play Aspley on Tuesday night in the Foxtel Cup. It will provide some insight.
Aspley who are 6th in the Neafl play Williamstown who are 3rd in the VFL in the Foxtel Cup on Tuesday.night 8.30. Should provide some indication. I would expect Williamstown to win by 10 goals or they have under achieved.

He showed a lot tonight. I really think that he could be the second tall down the track, maybe even the answer, but unlikely as he doesn't seem to be good enough to be the major tall ala. Jonathan Brown. Really impressed with his ruck work, forward pressure and marking. Great to see him kick a goal, he could have ended up with more. In total, I rate this young lad extremely highly and I think he has a future at our club.

He showed a lot tonight. I really think that he could be the second tall down the track, maybe even the answer, but unlikely as he doesn't seem to be good enough to be the major tall ala. Jonathan Brown. Really impressed with his ruck work, forward pressure and marking. Great to see him kick a goal, he could have ended up with more. In total, I rate this young lad extremely highly and I think he has a future at our club.

We sometimes forget hes 19. Brown had similar games to Close at that age.

Did really well I thought, both in the ruck and taking marks up field. We clearly favour Merrett as the target to bring the ball to ground, but I'm very confident with a bigger body in 2-3 years time he could be a 2-3 hog forward.

Five talking points: Brisbane Lions v North Melbourne

Forward life after Browny – maybe not so bad
Not only does Brown leave a gaping hole in leadership, but a cavernous void in the forward line. The Lions lined up with Daniel Merrett and youngster Michael Close as the key targets with Marco Paparone playing a hit-up role. Merrett was a terrific option in the first half, taking four marks inside 50, but the regular full-back kicked like a defender to register just one goal, two out on the full and another failing to make the distance. Close did not get much ball, but looked a good target. He had 15 disposals, eight marks – including three contested – and added a goal of his own. The two crashed packs, created contests and generally played in a much similar vein to their former skipper.

Is Closey a sneaky chance of pinching a rising star nom this week?

Plays in the wrong state unfortunately. Plus Stringer will be hard to beat. A big match at the MCG this Saturday will put him in with a decent chance.

I think it was good for Close to have a run in the ruck for a bit on Saturday night. It got him around the ball more and with greater amounts of ball it would increase his confidence.

Really questioned the club when they handed him a 3yr extension but wow has he proved me wrong. While his marking in difficult conditions was excellent, his body positioning to protect the drop of the ball was simply sublime. Love the move to have him doing ruck relief and leaving Merrett the stay at home forward

Remove this Banner Ad

Back