Michael Schumacher hurt in skiing accident, OFFICIAL UPDATE Awake, out of hospital

Remove this Banner Ad

Nothing much has really changed. He is still in a critical (as in still fighting for his life) but stable condition at the moment, and they are just monitoring him on an hour by hour state at the moment. They are keeping him in the induced coma, and under low temperatures so that they can reduce the brain swelling etc.

apparently they should know more within 48 hours as that is when the full extent of the injuries will be known

Fantastic article about it by David Coulthard.

The outpouring of concern for Michael Schumacher’s wellbeing over the past 36 hours, not only from the world of Formula One but from the wider sporting, and indeed non-sporting, community has been wonderful to see. In my opinion it constitutes long-overdue recognition of Michael’s status as a true sporting great. I only hope and pray that he pulls through to see what nice things people have been saying about him.
The truth is I do not believe that Michael has ever truly received the praise or recognition that his stunning achievements merited. And I say that now with the benefit of hindsight.
For years Michael was the perfect pantomime villain, particularly in this country; German, of course, ruthlessly efficient, ultra-aggressive. Whereas previous greats such as Sir Jackie Stewart or Juan Manuel Fangio left the door open to their rivals when racing, for fear of making what could easily have been fatal contact, Michael went all out in his pursuit of victory.
Sometimes he overstepped the mark – Jerez in 1997 and Rascasse in 2006 spring to mind – and those indiscretions made him unpalatable to the sporting purist. He was marked down by some, including me, as a tainted champion. But you cannot argue with his achievements.
At the end of the day he had the same rules and the same race marshals as the rest of us. And he destroyed us.
He could be infuriating. I had numerous run-ins with Michael, most famously at Spa in 1998 after we collided on a wet track and he stormed over to the McLaren garage and accused me of trying to kill him. I asked him later, in exasperation, whether he had ever been wrong about anything at any point in his life. “Not that I can remember,” he replied. To me that summed him up.
He had complete and utter self-belief. It was what made him a champion.
And what a champion: 91 grand prix victories and seven drivers’ world titles. I can say now, and again it is with the benefit of hindsight, that I was never on his level. You cannot admit that, even to yourself, during your career because you need to have self-belief but I have no trouble admitting it now.
Michael was the reference point for me. I can see that now. If I beat him to a win or a podium, I knew I had done a very good job. He gave my career credibility.
As I said, we did not always see eye to eye but there were two sides to Michael.
He was a ruthless competitor but at the same time he was a family man; generous, kind. If you were part of his trusted circle then he was loyal. If you were not, he could cut you off completely.
I never knew exactly which camp I belonged to but our shared relationship with Mercedes-Benz meant that we were thrown together regularly.
I can vividly recall being invited to Michael’s private parties after the German Grand Prix and staying up smoking cigars with him, late at night after a few drinks, talking about just how lucky we were to be doing what we loved.
There was always that underlying respect. When Michael retired at the end of 2006 he approached me and suggested we swap helmets. It had never even occurred to me to ask him. Why would he have wanted my helmet? But he knew that I collected them and I was honoured that he offered me his. It remains one of my prized possessions and I know he keeps mine at his home in Switzerland.
I think Michael might have got more credit before now had he not burnt his bridges so completely with the British media, to whom he was completely closed, at least during his first career. I think Sebastian Vettel may have learnt from that experience.
In any case, Michael’s comeback with Mercedes showed he had a more human side. And in a funny way, it cemented his legacy rather than harmed it.
Watching him struggle to match Sebastian and Lewis Hamilton and Fernando Alonso, not always through fault of his own, proved that time waits for no man. It was too easy during his first career to assume that he simply swept all before him.
Those struggles with Mercedes gave us, certainly me, a new-found appreciation for the unbelievable levels of consistency he achieved in his first career.
This skiing crash has connected Michael to the rest of us on a human level once and for all. Here is a father, like any other, his wife and children at his bedside praying for him to pull through. It is something to which we can all relate.
The awful thing is that so often it takes something like this before we say what we truly feel about someone.
I hope that in this instance, with Michael having received such swift medical attention, and given the fact that he continues to receive the very best treatment possible, he is going to emerge victorious once again. And when he does he is going to realise in what esteem he is held.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/mo...-nice-things-people-are-saying-about-him.html

Guys, some good news...The hospital has just had another press conference. Schumacher has had a second surgery and is showing signs of SLIGHT improvement

"We were able to carry out a scan without any unnecessary risk - and it showed a few signs that he is relatively stable," says one of the doctor.
Schumacher underwent a "surgical intervention" during the night.
"We have a few signs to feel that the situation is better controlled than it was yesterday."

"It was a difficult decision to make [to operate], but we decided to eliminate a hematoma.
"The level of inter-cranial pressure have improved. The scan does show there are other legions," says the surgeon.
He adds they are being regularly monitored. The surgical intervention took two hours.

Is he out of danger?

"The situation is better controlled than it was yesterday. We are unable to say he's out of danger, however we have gained a bit of time with regard to developments," Professor Payen adds.
But once again the coming hours are still critical hours when it comes to strategy."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/formula-1/live-updates-michael-schumacher-remains-2974443

I apologise that this is slightly OT, but a very interesting read here from Richard Hammond who suffered injuries similar to what Schumacher may have suffered and how he is dealing with them.

If learning of Michael Schumacher’s ski accident was shocking for Richard Hammond, it was even worse for his wife Mindy.
The Top Gear presenter suffered catastrophic head injuries of his own in a crash during filming for the BBC show.

He has no memory of the accident and it took years of rehabilitation to come to terms with it.
He said: “It is once you wake up that the journey starts. It’s about accepting and understanding what happened. But you’re trying to use the very thing that’s injured to understand the nature of the injury.”

Richard struggled to differentiate between “injured Richard” and “real Richard” for years.
“At first I’d be thinking ‘this is because of my head injury,’” he said.
“Now I think, whether it’s because of my head injury or not it’s because of me – my injury is part of who I am. And that’s founded on 44 years of experiences.”
It is thanks to this realisation – which is in part down to top neurosurgeon, the late Professor Sid Watkins – that Richard learned to “file” his accident away.
He said: “I interviewed Professor Watkins and he said: ‘Look, Richard. If they tell you it’s two years until you’re completely better, forget it. It can be four, it can be six – it’s a life’s journey.’
“And I took that to heart because I was still wrestling with it. I realised if you’re lucky enough, and physically well, you can put it behind you.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/formula-1/richard-hammond-michael-schumachers-accident-2974233

One can only hope that Schumacher can one day say the same as Richard Hammond. Come on Schumi, pull through!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A journalist dressed as a priest to try and get into Michael's room.

I wish I was making that up.

And they will write it up that it was Michael's fault it happened, low life.

http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/1...d-to-access-michael-schumachers-hospital-room

A journalist disguised as a priest attempted to access Michael Schumacher's hospital room, his press officer has told the German press.

Schumacher's long-time press chief and manager, Sabine Kehm told reporters: "Apparently a journalist dressed as a priest had tried to gain access to Michael's room. I wouldn't have ever imagined something like this could happen."

Neither the journalist nor the publication concerned have been identified.

Was watching TV at the gym, and the caption (hearing impaired type) stated that he had a tumor, I haven't heard anything more about this, so it may have just been a translation error (French and German to English to text)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back