Michael Voss vs. Luke Hodge

Who is the better player and captain?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

May 20, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Both as a player and as a captain who is superior? Obviously Hodges' career is still going while Voss retired some time ago, but Hodge has created more than enough body of work worthy of comparsen.

I've created individual options for both guys as "players" and as "captains".

I talk a lot of s**t about Hodge, but it'll be a good comparison once Hodge hangs up the boots. But for now Voss will probably outpoll Hodge comfortably on both accounts

Last edited:
Both indisputable champions but Voss just in front for me. Freak of a footballer, so tough - if you could pick someone to win a clearance for your life he would be the man. Good poll, tough to choose which is rare for this board.

Hodge also has played most finals behind the ball across half back. Lot of junk ball.

That would just make his goal average more impressive.

There is not a lot of junk ball in finals either; Hodge won a Norm Smith as a half-back and they don't hand those out for nothing.

That would just make his goal average more impressive.

There is not a lot of junk ball in finals either; Hodge won a Norm Smith as a half-back and they don't hand those out for nothing.

I'm just saying stats can't be compared. Voss also should of had. NS Medal.

The score lines from Voss's and Hodge's GF's are extremely similar, the disposals aren't.

Oh if you're talking about 4 individual games in Voss' case, then the disposal count owes largely to the player's own performance, particularly when it's a star on-baller. In such a small sample size of games it doesn't even make sense to talk about disposal trends.

Oh if you're talking about 4 individual games in Voss' case, then the disposal count owes largely to the player's own performance, particularly when it's a star on-baller. In such a small sample size of games it doesn't even make sense to talk about disposal trends.

They are a reflection of scoring trends in general, the difference is not the void you are making it out to be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hodge as a player, no question
Voss as a captain, just
IMO

Hodge as a player, no question
Voss as a captain, just
IMO
Hodge as a player??? Hodge isn't even the best player in his team now.

It balances out well against the equally substantial decrease in scoring.
Not really when you consider midfielders are kicking a greater percentage of scores these days. Nice try though.

As a player, Voss is without a doubt on another level to Hodge. As a captain, Voss has 4 AFLPA best captain awards to Hodge's 1. Fair to say Voss takes the points there also.

Even J.Brown was a better captain than Hodge.

Hodge as a player??? Hodge isn't even the best player in his team now.

Not really when you consider midfielders are kicking a greater percentage of scores these days. Nice try though.

As a player, Voss is without a doubt on another level to Hodge. As a captain, Voss has 4 AFLPA best captain awards to Hodge's 1. Fair to say Voss takes the points there also.

Even J.Brown was a better captain than Hodge.

How do you even quantify that?

Is Robert Murphy an equal to Hodge as a captain?

I guess by this measure 4 Premierships > 3, therefore Hodge is a better player than both. etc.
Robert Murphy has only been captain for 1 year, perhaps we should give him some more time before comparing to players that have captained their clubs for 100 odd games?

Hodge has had a prolonged period of time to earn the respect and honor of winning it multiple times and it hasn't happened. Just pointing out the facts.

I would say at this point Hodge has more runs on the board as a captain than Murphy for sure. But Brown has runs on the board too.

Robert Murphy has only been captain for 1 year, perhaps we should give him some more time before comparing to players that have captained their clubs for 100 odd games?

Hodge has had a prolonged period of time to earn the respect and honor of winning it multiple times and it hasn't happened. Just pointing out the facts.

I would say at this point Hodge has more runs on the board as a captain than Murphy. But Brown has runs on the board too.

I only mentioned Murphy as I thought he won the Captain award? OR maybe it was AA Captain and I've just confused myself.

Back