Opinion Mick Malthouse

What is the next move on Mick?

• Sack him immediately; replacement coach to see out the year.

Votes: 192 48.9%
  • Let him coach out the year then show him the door.

Votes: 70 17.8%
  • Sign him now to give coaches and players some direction.

Votes: 81 20.6%
  • Not sure yet... still too angry to think clearly.

Votes: 50 12.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember laughing to myself hearing how exited everyone was on this board when we traded half decent draft picks for 3 guys (Jackchs, Whiley and Jones) who couldn't get a game at their own clubs which were pretty much bottom. Everyone thought they could somehow be our saviour. No wonder we are bottom
For gods sake only 1 of them played tonight, it's hardly their fault.

In defense of Mick...

I watched the press conference. Hack journalists are hacks. Sam Maclure, Mark Stevens and, to a lesser extent, Jake Niall are running an agenda that he should step aside. A complete non-story that doesn't deserve air play. The board will determine if and when they sack him but until that point he's the coach of our beloved football club...

What is with the 'they're changing their story with the review after the bye' crap they are now sprouting. They (Trigg and MLG) have been saying from the start that:

A- They will review his contact situation in the second half of the year and;

B- He will coach out the year.

There is no new story except for the one they are making up

I thought his gameplan was effective tonight. He cant kick the footy though....the skills are deplorable and i don't actually believe that is his fault. Players that could once kick it on a dime have completely lost it. Even Yarran munged a few uncontested kicks tonight.

I am still on the 'Let him coach out the year then move him on' bandwagon, but I'm now closer to the extend him option than the sack him immediately option

He backed himself in however he underestimated the ability of some of our players to kill a coach. He should have seen the writing on the wall when the players couldn't even send Ratts off with a win in his last game as coach.

No mate, he under estimated the poor culture of the CFC.

Amongst my first posts on BF was about the challenge MM would face with this poor culture. I have made several posts about this huge challenge since. I was even facetiously posting about MM's "process" because I doubted even a legend coach like him would be able to overcome it. I was hoping none the less. Alas, here we are.

Worse still, the problem is not MM's alone. It will remain long after he is gone unless something amazing happens to cleanse the joint.

Personally, I'm very concerned about the CEO appointment. I have doubts about the new Chairman of the Board as well.

So IMHO the problem is more than the Coach or a poor list. Where there is smoke there is fire.

Been thinking about this situation a lot, and I keep coming back to 1 or 2 things,
1 - that I like what MM is trying to do with these guys and be more than 1 dimensional players,
And 2 - he's not scared for them to make mistakes and take time to gel and play well together.
So the million $$ question is - how does he get this positive message through our players thick heads?? If he can do this, then I honestly believe it's problem solved for everyone.

Players that could once kick it on a dime have completely lost it. Even Yarran munged a few uncontested kicks tonight.

What's changed? Not a coaching change surely....

Name one player that was on the list before MM was appointed coach that has developed their game more than through their own natural development. Just one.

What's changed? Not a coaching change surely....

Name one player that was on the list before MM was appointed coach that has developed their game more than through their own natural development. Just one.
They don't exist. He has dragged us back to the Pagan era, albeit starting with a much better list. I know plenty of blues supporters who refuse to engage with the club while that scourge is in charge. The sooner he is gone and we can start afresh with the rebuild, the better.

No, I've been voicing my concerns for 4 or so years. Our recruiting has been a ticking time bomb.

No sorry bud but your opinion is just that, opinion. The only thing that has been proven here is that hiring Mick was one of the worst things this football club has ever done. He is an epic fail. Ratts was by far the best coach this club has seen this century.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He backed himself in however he underestimated the ability of some of our players to kill a coach. He should have seen the writing on the wall when the players couldn't even send Ratts off with a win in his last game as coach.

Yep this has nothing at all to do with a coach that's earning 1 million + per year. Why should he be accountable for what he's done? Let's give Mick another three years and let him gut the list some more shall we?

Mr Walking Contradiction aka Malthouse now says he is totally on board with the rebuild but only a few days ago said the mere mention of the word affected the players.

Ha ha ha ha ha this bloke changes his opinion one way or the other so quickly its laughable!!!

Amongst my first posts on BF was about the challenge MM would face with this poor culture. I have made several posts about this huge challenge since. I was even facetiously posting about MM's "process" because I doubted even a legend coach like him would be able to overcome it. I was hoping none the less. Alas, here we are.

Worse still, the problem is not MM's alone. It will remain long after he is gone unless something amazing happens to cleanse the joint.

Personally, I'm very concerned about the CEO appointment. I have doubts about the new Chairman of the Board as well.

So IMHO the problem is more than the Coach or a poor list. Where there is smoke there is fire.
Good post and agree with everything bar the Trigg bit, still think it's a bit early to drop the hammer on him IMO.

Couldn't agree more with this. I'm not a MM apologist but whenever a team is doing poorly its always the coach that cops the brunt of the criticism when the fact of the matter is that the coach isn't the only one making decisions at the club. I often feel like the coach is the one who pays for the poor decisions made by those higher up. If the culture of the club is bad, which I suspect it is, MM can't be expected to turn it around all by himself.

A quick fix mentality has existed at the club for years and no matter who is coach they aren't going to succeed in an environment like that. Hypothetically MM gets the chop, which seems inevitable at this point, and we get someone like Bomber Thompson, I can't see him long term doing much better with the list. The board will take a short term view, get impatient like it did with Ratten and is now with Mick and the same thing will happen all over again.

One of the things that left a bad taste in my mouth when Ratten was sacked was how easily he was tossed aside considering the circumstances. He had one bad season, largely due to injuries, and he was cast aside for Mick. Said to me that the board had zero faith in him. Considering he'd had us in the finals for three years straight prior and actually had us playing good footy after a number of wooden spoons shows to me that the board is clueless.

At least Mick has a proven track record which is more than can be said about Steven Trigg and Mark LoGiudice.

From the outside all I can say is that if Malthouse was anyone else there would be any debate and everyone would be calling for his head. He's in his third year, made a comment that they'd be competitive against every side this year and since he took over the club has headed in only one direction. If Carlton want to become a powerhouse again then the sooner Malthouse is shown the door the better the club will be.

Simply it would be almost impossible for Carlton to be any worse than they are so might as well give someone else a go.

Serious question Blues fans...apologies if it's a bit of a convoluted one.

The reputation of Carlton has long been 'throw enough money at whoever they want', whether it be player, coach or hovercraft, and it should 'fix' things. There has been a bit of talk surrounding John Worsfold who most regard as a worthy coach.

If Malthouse and the Blues part ways and Carlton throw the $$$ Worsfold's way without any real process of really interviewing anyone else*, but the man they are instilling is credentialed, proven and ready to go, as is the case of Worsfold, will there be backlash from supporters, despite a worthy character taking the reigns?

I regard Worsfold as one of the best currently not coaching and I'm sure a lot of others do too.

*and no, calling up other candidates to come and interview when everybody bar the candidate knows the job's already been filled and they are wasting their time does not count as a process.

From Looking out side I think Mick is the right guy to a certain point. let him build a successor. he has coached 718 games just let him coach.

As an outsider, it looks like MM is totally bereft of confidence and ideas, especially after last night, as have the players been all year.

Must be hell being a supporter as it was for us in 2005 era and numerous other times.

Is it MM, is it the list, is it Trigg and the footy department - who knows.

Your captain Murphy is a very good football player.

But I can't help thinking of that was Luke Hodge out there instead, there would be a very different feel about the team, bit more belief and bounce in the step, passion for the jumper etc etc.

I know captains like him don't grow on trees, but in all these talks re what to do, I get the feeling the captaincy is not discussed as much as it should be?

Cripps is a gem but possibly too young just yet, maybe not; Jamison if fit might also be a better option to provide that really strong leadership that is so desperately needed just now?

Murphy just doesn't appear a leader of men in the heat of the battle to me, rightly or wrongly.

Is it MM, is it the list, is it Trigg and the footy department - who knows.
It comes across as everybody pulling in different directions. Trigg says one thing, Malthouse says another, president ums and ahhhs.

From Looking out side I think Mick is the right guy to a certain point. let him build a successor. he has coached 718 games just let him coach.

You think someone has been stopping him from coaching the past 3 years?

Serious question Blues fans...apologies if it's a bit of a convoluted one.

The reputation of Carlton has long been 'throw enough money at whoever they want', whether it be player, coach or hovercraft, and it should 'fix' things. There has been a bit of talk surrounding John Worsfold who most regard as a worthy coach.

If Malthouse and the Blues part ways and Carlton throw the $$$ Worsfold's way without any real process of really interviewing anyone else*, but the man they are instilling is credentialed, proven and ready to go, as is the case of Worsfold, will there be backlash from supporters, despite a worthy character taking the reigns?

I regard Worsfold as one of the best currently not coaching and I'm sure a lot of others do too.

*and no, calling up other candidates to come and interview when everybody bar the candidate knows the job's already been filled and they are wasting their time does not count as a process.
Wow IUB I've never seen you write a serious post before!

Personally I would be mad if the club didn't follow a thorough procedure because it would be yet another example of the club going the quick fix with a mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back