Opinion Mick Malthouse

What is the next move on Mick?

• Sack him immediately; replacement coach to see out the year.

Votes: 192 48.9%
  • Let him coach out the year then show him the door.

Votes: 70 17.8%
  • Sign him now to give coaches and players some direction.

Votes: 81 20.6%
  • Not sure yet... still too angry to think clearly.

Votes: 50 12.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is actually a simple solution.

You publicly come out this week and announce that the board has decided that Mick wont be coaching Carlton next year, but he has your full support as coach for the remainder of the season because we would like to ensure a thorough process is conducted in finding a new coach. With any luck, Malthouse quits, and you have a mutual agreement on a suitable payout. I'd suggest $750k - so we save $250 which would be less than the cost to upgrade a coach to be the stand in.

Yep I like it, I would love to see us for once follow due process for a new coach.

Don't chase Bomber Thompson or Worsfold or any other big name, if they are keen enough for the role they should apply like everyone else, yes they maybe premiership coaches but that doesn't mean they are the right person for our club.

As an outsider, it looks like MM is totally bereft of confidence and ideas, especially after last night, as have the players been all year.

Must be hell being a supporter as it was for us in 2005 era and numerous other times.

Is it MM, is it the list, is it Trigg and the footy department - who knows.

Your captain Murphy is a very good football player.

But I can't help thinking of that was Luke Hodge out there instead, there would be a very different feel about the team, bit more belief and bounce in the step, passion for the jumper etc etc.

I know captains like him don't grow on trees, but in all these talks re what to do, I get the feeling the captaincy is not discussed as much as it should be?

Cripps is a gem but possibly too young just yet, maybe not; Jamison if fit might also be a better option to provide that really strong leadership that is so desperately needed just now?

Murphy just doesn't appear a leader of men in the heat of the battle to me, rightly or wrongly.
I agree with you RE: Murphy as captain.

But I think it goes further than that... over the last decade or so we have become the "nice guys". We need to recruit players with some mongrel a la Cripps. I know he is young, but I'd give Patty Cripps the VC role. Kid has potential.

Next coach should be given minimum 5 years with a no sacking clause, getting rid of 3 coaches from an 8 year time span (2007 - 2015) reflects poorly on our footy club, and yes, we should have kept Ratts.

More funding into the footy dept and better, we credentialed assistant coaches as well, a recently retired player, like Kane Cornes is essential to give a player's perspective to the new coach on the modern pace and intensity of the game.
(didn't mean Kane himself, obviously he is going to train to be a fire fighter, just a player from another club who is retiring at end of the year, possibly Corey Enright or Scott Thompson)

No, you have to have wriggle room for poor performing.

Despite the Mick support these are a few indisputables DVB.

1. Mick either misjudged the list when he first arrived and at least for 18 months after or the list is underperforming. This is reflected in adding a 'cream' player in Thomas, topping up with Everitt and Jones, and signing off on trades and drafts that brought in 20/21 year olds so they could play sooner. This does not demonstrate someone who thinks they need a rebuild.

2. A lot of players who have previously had form and won games have regressed.

3. Despite a game plan that is built on defence, our defence effort and statistics have fallen away.

4. The occasional lack of effort that Ratten was sacked for has become a staple of the side.

5. Team selection is puzzling.

It staggers me that some do not place any blame on Mick for these things. If this is all club culture driven, I have no idea what Mick is responsible for.

Last edited:

The results don't show it but the team is having a genuine crack right now, they're just fractured and reactive from the utter lack of confidence. Whether or not this is MM's fault (something on which many have strong views), sacking the coach will rob us and the players of seeing just what they can produce from here.

We've been down the bottom before, but this time there's no Fev, no Judd to be the resident superstar; each player needs to stand up and take responsibility and if the club blinks they'll just be hitting restart on the cycle of mediocrity. I think that there's genuine character in he playing list but the environment has been such that it's never been brought to the fore.

TL;DR: what Madden said.

Mick is responsible for ClubMickMalthouse - always has been always will be - get rid of bad rubbish he is one of the las hangovers of past mistakes. He lied when he came in and has continued spinning all the way through - he is NOT a team player he is an egotistical maniac who isn expert manipulator.

OR I could write paragraph after paragraph of proof using his own weasel words from the get go - but can't be bothered. He is largely responsible for destroying what was already an average list and average culture.

Why people can't see tis is a classic case of Stockholm syndrome.

No, you have to have wriggle room for poor performing.

Despite the Mick support these are a few indisputable DVB.

1. Mick either misjudged the list when he first arrived and at least for 18 months after. This is reflected in adding a 'cream' player in Thomas, topping up with Everitt and Jones, and signing off on trades and drafts that brought in 20/21 year olds so they could play sooner. This does not demonstrate someone who thinks they need a rebuild.

2. A lot of players who have previously had form and won games have regressed.

3. Despite a game plan that is built on defence, our defence effort and statistics have fallen away.

4. The occasional lack of effort that Ratten was sacked for has become a staple of the side.

5. Team selection is puzzling.

It staggers me that some do not place any blame on Mick for these things. If this is all club culture driven, I have no idea what Mick is responsible for.

There was mixed messages coming from both the board and MM.

For instance, Mick really wanted to keep Jeffy, but apparently someone at board/admin level wanted him gone for Cultural reasons.

I have no idea if Mick was behind our list management/draft strategies last year,.am very happy with Boek and Clem and Matt Dick, but picking up Jones and Tutt was appallingly ill-advised.

Happy still with Jaksch (St Kilda offered pick 1 for him and O'Rourke)

Don't think anyone at the club at board has told Mick to play kids and the only reason Warnock is playing is to try and raise his non-existent trade value)

Where does the club know (collectively) where we're at ?

Everyone at the club should shoulder the responsibility in some way, including Mick, but lets face it, club politics and internal disarray in the inner sanctum makes it a poor working environment for both coaches and players.

Mick will gone early next week Barker will be caretaker

scanners.gif

Mick will gone early next week Barker will be caretaker
You've been very confident on everything you've posted. But this is the first call where there's a definitive outcome in the short-term.

Not a Barker fan, but anything is better than Malthouse.

More funding into the footy dept and better, we credentialed assistant coaches as well, a recently retired player, like Kane Cornes is essential to give a player's perspective to the new coach on the modern pace and intensity of the game.
(didn't mean Kane himself, obviously he is going to train to be a fire fighter, just a player from another club who is retiring at end of the year, possibly Corey Enright or Scott Thompson)

Would this not be Michael Osborne from Hawthorn ...

As much as I am on the get rid of MM wagon, I have to wonder how many of our problems are actually being caused by the line coaches?

MM works with each of the groups on what he wants to see, but it is the line coaches that are in control of what the players under them actually do...

I'd be curious to see what would happen if we sacked Barker and Green.

Barker - Royally screwed our forward-line when he coached it, is now our back-line coach and the back-line seems to have gotten worse despite there not being any personnel changes (except an addition or 2)

Green - Doesn't really seem to be an effective forward coach. I haven't seen any improvements on our forward line structures or leading patterns, if anything, they have gone backwards.

Just my opinion, I'd love to hear what you guys think.

As much as I am on the get rid of MM wagon, I have to wonder how many of our problems are actually being caused by the line coaches?

MM works with each of the groups on what he wants to see, but it is the line coaches that are in control of what the players under them actually do...

I'd be curious to see what would happen if we sacked Barker and Green.

Barker - Royally screwed our forward-line when he coached it, is now our back-line coach and the back-line seems to have gotten worse despite there not being any personnel changes (except an addition or 2)

Green - Doesn't really seem to be an effective forward coach. I haven't seen any improvements on our forward line structures or leading patterns, if anything, they have gone backwards.

Just my opinion, I'd love to hear what you guys think.

Our assistant coaches are terrible.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Following the game via Twitter last night you would have thought it was a 30 goal thrashing... Watched the game when I got home and it wasnt as bad as thought it would be.
Gee the media hate mick...can't really blame them though considering how he is to most of them. I really do believe if the media weren't sticking it too him as much as they are we wouldn't be pointing the finger at him as much as we are.
Boys seemed to be genuinely trying but seemed to lack 'flair'.
Thought we handled the ball better thAn last week. Only glaring issue is the pressure and tackling although there were a few good moments of it. We were genuinely in the game the first half...if we had only kicked a few more of the gimme set shots it would have been a different outcome...sliding doors moments..
When u consider who we're missing it gives me some hope we will win a game or two more this year.
I won't be passing my final judgments on mick until I see how the boys handle the likes of Adelaide and the Suns...a month away.
Hopefully by then Jamison, Henderson, kreuzer, walk etc are fit and raring to go...
Go blues!!

There was mixed messages coming from both the board and MM.

For instance, Mick really wanted to keep Jeffy, but apparently someone at board/admin level wanted him gone for Cultural reasons.

Yes, hasn't Mick been given credit for our culture stand?

I have no idea if Mick was behind our list management/draft strategies last year,.am very happy with Boek and Clem and Matt Dick, but picking up Jones and Tutt was appallingly ill-advised.

Not a rebuilding strategy. It's a gap filling strategy.

Happy still with Jaksch (St Kilda offered pick 1 for him and O'Rourke)

Not quite. Indicated they'd use #1 in a Tyson style deal. So #1 for Jaksch or O'Rourke and #4.

Don't think anyone at the club at board has told Mick to play kids and the only reason Warnock is playing is to try and raise his non-existent trade value)

They talk about these meetings where rebuilding was mentioned that Mick last night said he was on board with. They have certainly mentioned rebuilding but because Mick hasn't been given an extension, he's trying to win games by playing all available experienced players to force them to give him the extension. Hasn't worked. Kids in, kids out, kids in, kids out. Some not played at all. Ones that do show something are getting cut while underperforming senior players stay in. I doubt the club are telling Mick to play Warnock for his trade value. I would really be surprised by that.

Where does the club know (collectively) where we're at ?

They don't. They are where we are. This list should be better than we are seeing (how much is up for debate). Even when they look like they are trying, we are not getting close to our opponents. Way too much space, way too much misunderstanding on where to run and when. Their understanding of the game that many of them have previously exhibited seems to be non-existent. No sign this is being addressed correctly.

Everyone at the club should shoulder the responsibility in some way, including Mick, but lets face it, club politics and internal disarray in the inner sanctum makes it a poor working environment for both coaches and players.

Much of the current internal disarray is born out of on field performance. We were more stable a few years back when we were making finals. Bottomed out sides are under pressure ... go figure.

John Worsfold is over the line as our new coach, lock it in Eddie. (according to someone who spoke to Gavin Brown a few days ago

Hopefully Woosha can give us the 'prescription' to rebuild our list. You don't have to be a chemist to realize we have the worst list in the league.

Was against Woosha initially, but the more I think about it, the more it feels right.

The results don't show it but the team is having a genuine crack right now, they're just fractured and reactive from the utter lack of confidence. Whether or not this is MM's fault (something on which many have strong views), sacking the coach will rob us and the players of seeing just what they can produce from here.

So sacking Pagan robbed us and the players of seeing just what they could have produced for there? Ratten? Dees under Neeld?

How many supporters are sitting there right now in hopeful anticipation of what the team might do under Mick from now? Do you reckon we feel robbed because of what has happened, rather than some pie in the sky notion of what might happen if Mick stays and the players and game plan suddenly click?

A bird in the hand (mass beltings and dispirited performances) is worth two in the bush (Mick will suddenly get through to these guys and the game plan will click).

Massive leap of faith and I don't think our finances can afford to take it and be wrong. Something needs to freshen our perspectives. A circuit breaker.

We've been down the bottom before, but this time there's no Fev, no Judd to be the resident superstar; each player needs to stand up and take responsibility and if the club blinks they'll just be hitting restart on the cycle of mediocrity. I think that there's genuine character in he playing list but the environment has been such that it's never been brought to the fore.

Aside from a handful of players, we have less character in this group than any team in recent memory.

John Worsfold is over the line as our new coach, lock it in Eddie. (according to someone who spoke to Gavin Brown a few days ago

Hopefully Woosha can give us the 'prescription' to rebuild our list. You don't have to be a chemist to realize we have the worst list in the league.

Was against Woosha initially, but the more I think about it, the more it feels right.

If this is so, the club is stupider than any of us imagined.

Woosha is a good candidate but how do we know he's the best without doing our due diligence?

Appears to be another rushed decision :(:thumbsdown:

Disagree. We have never had a process to appoint a coach. Never.

Some things feel right about him, some feel wrong. He should only get the job after a process though.

However ... he could be an immediate circuit breaker that might lift some of the supporter base. *, I don't know.

How ridiculous.
Another handpicked coach. If they tried due diligence they might surprise themselves one day

I heard rumblings about Gamblor wanting Woodsha to replace Mick as coach last year, so this news isn't surprisingly to me.

What pisses me off is that what Mathieson wants, Mathieson still gets, at this footy club it seems.

Our footy club won't be free until we cut all ties with Gamblor for good, having said that, I think Worsfold looks suave in Navy Blue.

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_CFWk1BIWMAALzVa.jpg

Disagree. We have never had a process to appoint a coach. Never.

Some things feel right about him, some feel wrong. He should only get the job after a process though.

However ... he could be an immediate circuit breaker that might lift some of the supporter base. ****, I don't know.

Don't think the Crows will let Woosha go mid season unfortunately

Well, you'd think he'd know how to get us to defend at least.

Mind you, SOS could walk out there and provide some guidance.

Tall, gangly, raw .... hmmm Jaksch is like SOS as a youngster. Jaksch to switch to long sleeves and be taken under SOS's wing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back