Opinion Mick Malthouse

What is the next move on Mick?

• Sack him immediately; replacement coach to see out the year.

Votes: 192 48.9%
  • Let him coach out the year then show him the door.

Votes: 70 17.8%
  • Sign him now to give coaches and players some direction.

Votes: 81 20.6%
  • Not sure yet... still too angry to think clearly.

Votes: 50 12.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well that's a depressing season to look forward to.. :(

Let's look at the games we failed to win this year:
  • Melbourne - highly uncompetitive, despite having more scoring shots.. Truly embarrassing.
  • Essendon (round 23). 1 point...
  • Geelong - twice robbed by the umpires. When you continually lose narrowly, it's psychological.
  • Fremantle - got within a kick at Subiaco
  • GWS - weren't interested in the contest all day and still lost by only 8 points
  • Brisbane - major choke
Win those and we'd have sat on 14 wins.

Malthouse continually made a point that we didn't win those games, when it happens that often there's a problem. We'll get there, lots of faith in Malthouse.

Ratten made sure that a bunch of players whose performance didn't warrant a contract extension - got one. This made Malthouse first year as coach a forced limited change period. Malthouse's list changes have been accomplished in two years - not three. The only glaring question mark over Malthouse was the cashola sprayed out to Thomas and his inability to keep Betts and Waite in my book. Against this - every Malthouse regime draft/trade has improved the list from what it was.

As for Carlton won't play finals in 2015 - I have a different view - time will tell of course.

No Windy, the failure was on the previous board (and people like Windy) who were deluded and misguided enough to think we had a list capable of winning a flag with Ratten as coach (one finals win in five years as Ratts tenure speaks volumes)

We aren't going to be flag contenders for at least 4, maybe 5 years and that is harsh, but frankly there were many list cloggers under Ratts that dragged his coaching (and the club) and the club down with him, which thankfully MM has dispensed with.

The club has pretty much admitted that Mick's mandate has changed, SOS and McKay have admitted we have to bring more kids into the club (without bottoming out)

10 wins in 2015 would be an excellent result, given the transitional state of our list. Certainly you would think the likes of The Bulldogs and Brisbane will go past us next season.

Finally, we haven't been.a 'good club' (in terms of on field performance) for a very long time, even under Ratts tenure, we would still have inexplicable losses to rubbish teams and blowouts against the top teams.

There has been something fundamentally rotten at the club, culturally wise for a long time, Mick is actually doing all he can to erode that, he certainly deserves more time to fix it.

I reckon we've taken two steps back and you can't even promise us one step forward. And you want to keep the coach.
So you would have preferred playing 32 year old Waite and co? Knowing full well we were going backwards with them anyway.

What exactly did you want to happen to the list? All very well to sit here and take pot shots but unless you've got a better plan, it's pointless.

I'm talking about since he got to the club. Re this year's recruiting none of us know, but as I said in a previous post (which led to me being labelled agenda driven) it will make or break him. I think we can all agree on that can't we?

I'm talking about since he got to the club. Re this year's recruiting none of us know, but as I said in a previous post (which led to me being labelled agenda driven) it will make or break him. I think we can all agree on that can't we?
That's what I'm saying though. What would you have done differently in the time he's been here?

The list needed a proper cleanout. It's finally happened. Now we build from here.

That's what I'm saying though. What would you have done differently in the time he's been here?

The list needed a proper cleanout. It's finally happened. Now we build from here.

This list is still a long way off from challenging from a top 4 spot, let alone a flag. Harsh truth is, the Doggies and probably Brisbane are closer to their 'premiership window' then us.

We are paying the price for over a decade of poor/inadequate recruiting.. Can anyone honestly say with any confidence that we will win a flag before the decade is out ? No matter who is coaching us ? Windy and Elias are vastly overrated the capability of our playing list, next year is very likely Judd's last, and the likes of Cripps/Buckley etc are still a couple of years away from having a consistent impact.

Getting sick of this old 80s/90s mentality of sacking a coach every 2/3 years if they don't win a flag.

The club at least knows we aren't in the Premiership race for the next couple of years, but its good they are finally being honest about it.

Just wish the fans can let Mick get on with coaching and our players (esp the kids) play without any unrealistic burden of expectation.

Finals would be a bonus in 2015, its just all about blooding in more kids and letting the likes of Dylan Buckley continue to develop and hopefully stay injury free.

Our age list average is only higher then St Kilda, Melbourne's etc because of Judd, Carrots and Simmo, right now we'd have the youngest median age of any Carlton list in many years i would suggest.

Why this incessant enthusiasm foreshadowing the coach's demise, the date and the reason/s? Is it a closest to the pin thingy?
If he gets a new contract then I hope the club have done due diligence and not like the time a coach was extended after we won a Wizard Cup.

I'm just not enthused with a 42.3% coaching record as some of you.

10528039-large.jpg

Anyone know who this is? I'll tell you. It's Tom Coughlin. He coach the New York Giants (nfl) to a championship at aged 65 back in 2012.

Anyone saying MM is too old needs to know that age is no barrier. He just needs to evolve with the game (which I believe he has), have a team he believes can win a premiership in front of him with the experience he believes is required and our support.

If you don't want him here, go support another club because he won't be sacked this year.

The players love him and he is helping create a culture we will all be proud of. Betts gone, Waite gone, Robbo gone, garlett gone. If we are upset by this, then you are rating the players bigger than the club.

Which is why I want to see improvement this year. If we don't I will lose what little faith I have left.

There is plenty I would have done differently, but we now have what he wants according to most so talk is cheap, I want to see progression. If there are repeats of last year's Scum and Melbourne debacles then he needs to go and I have no doubt he will be gone. Let's just hope our board can keep it a secret this time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Which is why I want to see improvement this year. If we don't I will lose what little faith I have left.

There is plenty I would have done differently, but we now have what he wants according to most so talk is cheap, I want to see progression. If there are repeats of last year's Scum and Melbourne debacles then he needs to go and I have no doubt he will be gone. Let's just hope our board can keep it a secret this time.
How do you gauge improvement though? We're likely to get less or a similar amount of wins but it will mean that in 2 or 3 years, we will be much better placed.

No, I definitely don't think this is a make or break year for Malthouse. I firmly believed he's going to be around for a long time (sorry Windy and EE).

I do agree there needs to be progress next year but that could be more to do with shaping the team and game plan for a legitimate assault on the flag, rather than just a straight win / loss ratio.

Let's look at what Mick has achieved since he's been at Carlton because I believe there's been substantial progress.
1. Cleaned out the list cloggers left by Ratten. I think the talent goes much deeper now that it has for a very long time
2. Changed the mood of the playing group to one that is more upbeat and determined. I'd say a lot of the malcontents are no longer on the list and the players remaining seem to be the more competitive types
3. Restructured the coaching and high performance groups so the head coach is more a manager than someone who unnecessarily gets involved in everything
3. Identified with McKay clear imbalances in the team's age and player profiles, and then formulated an effective plan to address the imbalances
4. Attracted talented players to the Blues using his considerable reputation and powers of persuasion. How many talented players did Ratten attract to Carlton through the trade periods?
5. Gave the recruiters a list of player types that were needed to move the club forward, rather than sticking to the failed strategy of best available regardless of type
6. Reduced the number of blowouts, particularly against the best sides, with an accountable game style that historically has proved more successful in September than the unaccountable, one-way running style previously adopted.

I'm sure there are plenty more achievements that I've missed, but I genuinely believe the Blues are a far more professional outfit now than they were 3 years ago and surely Malthouse deserves plenty of the credit for this.

How do you gauge improvement though? We're likely to get less or a similar amount of wins but it will mean that in 2 or 3 years, we will be much better placed.

Well I've provided an example already. Performances like the ones I mentioned above would be a no no. I would expect us to make a serious challenge for the eight, any side not rebuilding must be challenging for the eight.

No, I definitely don't think this is a make or break year for Malthouse. I firmly believed he's going to be around for a long time (sorry Windy and EE).

I do agree there needs to be progress next year but that could be more to do with shaping the team and game plan for a legitimate assault on the flag, rather than just a straight win / loss ratio.

Let's look at what Mick has achieved since he's been at Carlton because I believe there's been substantial progress.
1. Cleaned out the list cloggers left by Ratten. I think the talent goes much deeper now that it has for a very long time

Ellard and white say hi.

2. Changed the mood of the playing group to one that is more upbeat and determined. I'd say a lot of the malcontents are no longer on the list and the players remaining seem to be the more competitive types

Two of the worst losses in the history of our club last year suggest otherwise.

3. Restructured the coaching and high performance groups so the head coach is more a manager than someone who unnecessarily gets involved in everything

Is it working?

3. Identified with McKay clear imbalances in the team's age and player profiles, and then formulated an effective plan to address the imbalances

I give this to McKay not Malthouse.

4. Attracted talented players to the Blues using his considerable reputation and powers of persuasion. How many talented players did Ratten attract to Carlton through the trade periods?

He got us Daisy on massive coin who has failed to live up to his reputation. Four years as well. Judd came when Ratten was in charge, Ratten developed a lot of the players Mick has now. But this isn't about Ratts? Or is it? Beginning to wonder.

5. Gave the recruiters a list of player types that were needed to move the club forward, rather than sticking to the failed strategy of best available regardless of type

I'm sure this happened but whether it's a success? You can't say.

6. Reduced the number of blowouts, particularly against the best sides, with an accountable game style that historically has proved more successful in September than the unaccountable, one-way running style previously adopted.

Essendon game last year. One of the worst losses in the history of our club. Second half of the Sydney game. Since Malthouse has arrived we have conceded a lot more than previously, and scored less. Consistently concede 5-6 goals in a row during games.

I'm sure there are plenty more achievements that I've missed, but I genuinely believe the Blues are a far more professional outfit now than they were 3 years ago and surely Malthouse deserves plenty of the credit for this.

Never mind what you've missed, how about giving me just one valid achievement? I'll give you one. The first season in charge when we beat Richmond in an Elimination Final, coming from 5 goals down. Now that was a noteworthy achievement.

Ellard and white say hi.
Then you don't understand list balance using these two guys as example of players that should have been cut.
They could have been but there were others, and some even more talented, that were moved on for the sake of having a squad that works together.

I give this to McKay not Malthouse.
Wrong. Malthouse put his wishes/needs forward very early on in the piece. Wasn't happy with the list, Ratten cultured.

He got us Daisy on massive coin who has failed to live up to his reputation. Four years as well. Judd came when Ratten was in charge, Ratten developed a lot of the players Mick has now. But this isn't about Ratts? Or is it? Beginning to wonder.
If you don't know why Thomas came into the year with on a poor fitness base, then you don't really follow the club.

Never mind what you've missed, how about giving me just one valid achievement? I'll give you one. The first season in charge when we beat Richmond in an Elimination Final, coming from 5 goals down. Now that was a noteworthy achievement.
Malthouse has been given as much of his requests as possible. Let's judge him on what he achieves from here on in and not on the back of what he was handed over.

Why this incessant enthusiasm foreshadowing the coach's demise, the date and the reason/s? Is it a closest to the pin thingy?
Answer the question! The question, jerks......!

I think the onus is on those people calling for Malthouse's head to prove things are not working! Not the other way round.

So far you haven't convinced me.

Because they don't understand/choose not to understand what has had to be done and why.

I don't think Malthouse is the be-all and end-all of coaches either but I respect his resolve in getting the club on the right footing.

"The boys here have picked up the skills so quickly and they are willing to listen, which is really good."

Here's what Rogers said in today's article about more Irish boys being picked up.
Did this just fall out of his mouth or is it something we're looking for in players?

Is this why Ellard and White are still on the list whilst Lucas, Bootsma, Robinson, Garlett and even Waite have been cleared?
Was that just a slip of the tongue from Rogers or was it maybe on the back of an edict that's been adopted by the club?

Answer the question! The question, jerks......!

Everyone see things differently but I still think a coach has way too many responsibilities.
Why should the chief coach have to be responsible for his coaches, his players, training regime, match-day tactics etc etc.

Collingwood had the right idea of trying to get Malthouse to be the director of coaching but he didn't want to play ball.
I still see this as being by far the better model where individuals milk the best of what they're capable of.

Why shouldn't let's say Laidley coach on game-day? He's still sharp and has 360 vision and knows his players implicitly.

... I still think a coach has way too many responsibilities.

I've got to agree with you. It's hard to imagine that one person can be the best game day coach, the best training coach, the best development coach, the best media performer etc. etc. That's why clubs are going the way of the Manager. Malthouse does this better than some, but they could definitely take this model even further. Hopefully we see some real innovation in the footy department over the next few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back