Opinion Mick Malthouse

What is the next move on Mick?

• Sack him immediately; replacement coach to see out the year.

Votes: 192 48.9%
  • Let him coach out the year then show him the door.

Votes: 70 17.8%
  • Sign him now to give coaches and players some direction.

Votes: 81 20.6%
  • Not sure yet... still too angry to think clearly.

Votes: 50 12.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I will politely decline your suggestion. I have had time to have a good look at White and whilst I agree he uses his bigger body in a nice and aggressively around the contest I don't think he has the class to play top flight football to an elite level we require for his position and whilst he should be in our best 22 for the majority of this year by years end our youngsters with more ability will have gone past him. I doubt he's factored in to long term thinking for no.17
Tip of the cap to you for giving it some thought at the very least. I have hopes of him going to another level next year after his first real full season. I think trust is important and I feel something exists between Jamison, Rowe and White that can establish us as a serious backline unit. We will have to sit back and wait to see what turns up in 2015 but im buoyant about our prospects.

Speaking of Dennis Pagan, you can't make strawberry jam out of horse manure is a term that aptly describes White. I don't think his size or even his skill is what let's him down, he does not have the mental capacity to play at this level.

Speaking of Dennis Pagan, you can't make strawberry jam out of horse manure is a term that aptly describes White. I don't think his size or even his skill is what let's him down, he does not have the mental capacity to play at this level.

No but horse manure can be important to grow the strawberries in order to make the jam.

http://www.countryfarm-lifestyles.com/growing-strawberries.html
Strawberries seem to prefer cow manure to others, although they will also thrive on horse manure if cow manure is not available.

Sure, they do tend to favour bull s**t but they're not on their own there.

Very droll ODN. :thumbsu:

I was more impressed when I just realised I used they're, their and there appropriately in the one sentence.

Just an observation....he's got the size, his skills are good enough but when the pressure really comes on he tends to fold ie makes all the wrong decisions.
After hearing some of the more recent anti-White sentiment here, I tried paying particular attention to a few of the games I have re-watched.

There was nothing I saw that didn't justify his spot in the team. He tackled hard, was generally in the right spots, always did the % play by killing the ball or handing off to a teammate, won a few one on ones (lost a few too)... I honestly dont get it. When people use terms like "just not up to it" etc, I think I often means "he did something I didn't like back in 2010 and I made my mind up that he sucks".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just an observation....he's got the size, his skills are good enough but when the pressure really comes on he tends to fold ie makes all the wrong decisions.

Do you have any examples?

I like White. I think he's a bit hot headed but he doesn't go overboard (e.g. Waite), he plays within his limitations (in a good way, I mean) and I thought he had a really good year.

Like I said, no doubt he has the size and the skills, just when the team is really under pressure he folds. That's the best time to judge a player. White is not up to it. IMO. And it's not an opinion based on something that happened back in 2010.

Do you have any examples?

I like White. I think he's a bit hot headed but he doesn't go overboard (e.g. Waite), he plays within his limitations (in a good way, I mean) and I thought he had a really good year.

Yes I do, one particular game against the Scum in 2013, the one where they kicked the last five or so goals to win. White was at fault for four of them and the decisions he made in that last 20 minutes of football were simply amazing, he just turned to shight. Footy Classified actually dissected his performance in that 20 minutes and it was ugly, he had clearly cost us the game. I remember I had never really rated him but he'd won me over that year until that game. Pretty sure he was dropped from the side the next week but ever since then I've noticed that same thing happen, when we're under the pump he makes terrible decisions. There was a game that was in the balance late in the last quarter this year and he was playing in defence and the ball came to him and he needed to take the mark down low on his chest and instead stuck a leg out at it. I mean FFS a leg. That is schoolboy stuff. Looks great 95% of the time but when it matters.....he's just not up to it.

I'd love to see that incident where he stuck a leg out to trap a ball when a mark was possible. I mean surely we have to take into account speed and trajectory of the ball, whether the percentage play was to keep the ball in front of him if he was the last defender in the line or gamble on going to ground after a low percentage marking attempt spills free. Slips catches with your weight leaning another direction are nigh on impossible. Easy to judge in the stands or at home but I'd need to be convinced that a player threw a leg at a ball he was entitled to mark.

EE, Im not sure it takes an Eisntein like IQ to play this game. I know what you're saying re decision making, perhaps your choice of words is a little harsh?

I'd love to see that incident where he stuck a leg out to trap a ball when a mark was possible. I mean surely we have to take into account speed and trajectory of the ball, whether the percentage play was to keep the ball in front of him if he was the last defender in the line or gamble on going to ground after a low percentage marking attempt spills free. Slips catches with your weight leaning another direction are nigh on impossible. Easy to judge in the stands or at home but I'd need to be convinced that a player threw a leg at a ball he was entitled to mark.

That's fair enough, give me some time to think about it, we didn't have too many close games in the season just passed I should be able to pinpoint the moment.

Forum waits for White's judgement. Some of the more squeamish posters use the time for a cigarette in the court foyer. Others sit, hands pressed against faces and foreheads. The time is the killer. What will EE decide? How much longer? How much more of this can the average BFer endure? Already it's been more than half and hour. The tension is unbearable.

Forum waits for White's judgement. Some of the more squeamish posters use the time for a cigarette in the court foyer. Others sit, hands pressed against faces and foreheads. The time is the killer. What will EE decide? How much longer? How much more of this can the average BFer endure? Already it's been more than half and hour. The tension is unbearable.
In the immortal words of Mr Wonka, the suspense is terrible... I hope it lasts.

Didn't realize you had to be a member of Mensa to play footy at the highest level ..

Footy, esp playing in a high pressure position like White does, does require a certain amount of intuition/instinct and reading the movements of your opponent, shutting down/curbing his opponents influence is the most important part of White's role, yes his disposal probably could be better, but saying he lacks the mental capacity in that regard is one of the most idiotic things I have read in ages.

It should be mentioned that smaller/medium sized defenders of the quality of a Corey Enright are as rare as hens teeth.

Seriously Elias, you are vastly underestimating White's value to our side and being needlessly insulting in the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back