Opinion Mick Malthouse

What is the next move on Mick?

• Sack him immediately; replacement coach to see out the year.

Votes: 192 48.9%
  • Let him coach out the year then show him the door.

Votes: 70 17.8%
  • Sign him now to give coaches and players some direction.

Votes: 81 20.6%
  • Not sure yet... still too angry to think clearly.

Votes: 50 12.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't realize you had to be a member of Mensa to play footy at the highest level ..

I didn't say that.

but saying he lacks the mental capacity in that regard is one of the most idiotic things I have read in ages.

Seriously Elias, you are vastly underestimating White's value to our side and being needlessly insulting in the process.

Hard to take hypocrites seriously.

Sorry if he is one of your fave players but IMO he is not up to it. He is a mental lightweight.

Forum waits for White's judgement. Some of the more squeamish posters use the time for a cigarette in the court foyer. Others sit, hands pressed against faces and foreheads. The time is the killer. What will EE decide? How much longer? How much more of this can the average BFer endure? Already it's been more than half and hour. The tension is unbearable.

Hey man.....I've got five kids to feed!

Say what you will, but when we were flying and finished 5th on the ladder in 2011, Laidler was a huge contributing factor to that success, while White hadn't played more than 10 games a season before 2014. I know I'm in the minority but imo Laidler was the better option. You reckon Sydney would've picked him up if they didn't think he could play a role in a premiership winning side? Laidler wasn't given a chance by Mick, it was like he had made his decision before he'd given him a fair go, pretty sad really.

Say what you will, but when we were flying and finished 5th on the ladder in 2011, Laidler was a huge contributing factor to that success, while White hadn't played more than 10 games a season before 2014. I know I'm in the minority but imo Laidler was the better option. You reckon Sydney would've picked him up if they didn't think he could play a role in a premiership winning side? Laidler wasn't given a chance by Mick, it was like he had made his decision before he'd given him a fair go, pretty sad really.

We haven't lost anything significant at all by letting Laidler go, if he didn't buy into Mick's system and swallow his pride and do what the coach asked of him, then he had to go.

I would say it was Laidler who didn't give Mick a fair go, not the other way around.

He won't get another contract up at Sydney once his current one expires, he was only bought up to the Swans as injury insurance/depth purposes

Silly comment. Why wouldn't he then get another contract for insurance/depth purposes? You're assuming a lot with very little basis for your thoughts. Also I dare say halfway through the second quarter of the GF that Longmire would've been wishing he had played a few more 'committed' types. There's nothing to suggest Laidler won't feature again next season.

Last edited:
From wot I've heard he was pretty gutted played 19 games for the year dropped a week out from finals and told to go work on his two way running. Wasn't shy about having a little sook about it.
Who are we talking about here? I'm lost.

Silly comment. Why wouldn't he then get another contract for insurance/depth purposes? You're assuming a lot with very little basis for your thoughts. Also I dare say halfway through the second quarter of the GF that Longmire would've been wishing he had played a few more 'committed' types. There's nothing to suggest Laidler won't feature again next season.

Not only is Laidler not part of Sydney's best 22 players, he probably would be battling to make their list of emergencies.

You are seriously deluded if you think Laidler would have had any sort of impact for the Swans in the grand final.

There is absolutely no basis in logic or sound factual basis in your arguments either.

Would be surprised if Laidler played more then 10 games for the Swans next year, Sydney will start to blood more young players next season from the sounds of it, and Laidler will be one of those senior players who will be squeezed out. He definitely won't be a part of their next grand final/premiership, you don't need to be a rocket scientist to work that out.

I'm neither here nor there with Laidler TBH, not sure if he has a future or not but you however are speaking in absolutes when in reality, you have no idea what his standing is within the club. He did play 19 games last year though. That's some basis for an argument for him being a part of the future. The best you have presented so far is 'you don't have to be a rocket scientist to know he won't be a part of their next premiership', hardly convincing stuff. As it is Sydney are banned from trading for players are they not?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Laidler would not be in Carlton's best 22. Be behind both White and Jaksch, would not be able to negate players like Goddard and Walker as White has done. Was an ok player but a dime a dozen type, got by on smarts and playing wide of his opponent which is fine unless they can run and actually play, on some of the logic on here, Laidler got badly found out against Collingwood a year or so ago (i think his last game with us), happens to most if not all defenders at times.

Gough was PM a few years back.

I'm neither here nor there with Laidler TBH, not sure if he has a future or not but you however are speaking in absolutes when in reality, you have no idea what his standing is within the club. He did play 19 games last year though. That's some basis for an argument for him being a part of the future. The best you have presented so far is 'you don't have to be a rocket scientist to know he won't be a part of their next premiership', hardly convincing stuff. As it is Sydney are banned from trading for players are they not?

Pretty sure the AFL are going to lift their trade embargo on The Swans before the next trade period (nonsensical decision to ban them, whatever your thoughts are on COLA)

Also I am just stating my opinion on Laidler and where he fits in the pecking order at Sydney, I don't think its an outrageous suggestion to imply he won't be at the Swans (or any other AFL club likely) in 3 years time.

Going to criticise me for me not presenting hard, conclusive evidence on Laidler, fine, but don't go around sprouting crap like Simon White hasn't got the mental capability to improve his disposal/decision making.

Anyhow, lets just agree to disagree, JL is a former player, hope he does prove me wrong.

Can we get back to arguing about Mick Malthouse ? :)

Laidler would not be in Carlton's best 22. Be behind both White and Jaksch, would not be able to negate players like Goddard and Walker as White has done. Was an ok player but a dime a dozen type, got by on smarts and playing wide of his opponent which is fine unless they can run and actually play, on some of the logic on here, Laidler got badly found out against Collingwood a year or so ago (i think his last game with us), happens to most if not all defenders at times.

Wow his first game back from a serious knee injury he got beaten, dropped to the reserves and never played again. Not hard to see why he would feel a little peeved. Nonetheless, a bloke that managed to play 19 games for the second best club for he year would surely be worth a spot in our lowly 22 who finished in the bottom 6 clubs for the season? Instead you say White (we all know what I think of him) and Jaksch of all people are ahead of him? Cmon Batman seriously mate.....

Anyway time will tell with this one.

Wow his first game back from a serious knee injury he got beaten, dropped to the reserves and never played again. Not hard to see why he would feel a little peeved. Nonetheless, a bloke that managed to play 19 games for the second best club for he year would surely be worth a spot in our lowly 22 who finished in the bottom 6 clubs for the season? Instead you say White (we all know what I think of him) and Jaksch of all people are ahead of him? Cmon Batman seriously mate.....

Anyway time will tell with this one.

EE, you're on a slippery slope when you attack our resident superhero.

Last edited:
Pretty sure he set fire to an orphanage as well.........

Some say they spotted him on the grassy knoll on that fateful day back in 1963. That's him sitting next to the lady in the red dress. Suss as anything. :D

dallas_famous_photo.jpg

I was very underwhelmed and disappointed with the impact of MM for the best part of two years.
It took an inordinately long time to sort the wheat from the chaff and there were few apparent
positive signs.

UNTIL............we returned to action following the second bye round. It was as if a button had been pressed
and a new era was dawning. Players were representing each other and appeared to be enjoying the game
again. This followed a period of seeming indifference from the boys, and some perplexing selections.

I will not blindly attribute our recruitment, or even the policies to Malthouse alone. McKay, Rogers and company
played a huge part, and we on the outside will never know the respective inputs, Suffice to say the team is
working effectively. MM is a huge part of the team so I must give kudos where it is due.

I previously believed that the transition was too slow and pondered if we could have fast tracked the upward
curve? We will never know the answer to that question. The fact is we can see a bright light at the end of the
tunnel.

I am yet to be convinced that MM has the ability to run with a game plan that has kept up with the evolution
of the modern game, but will maintain an open mind until proven one way or the other. His effect on our culture
and the unity of our playing group cannot be questioned.

We have offloaded some weak links, and along the way have cut some arguably "innocent" casualties who lost
the numbers game or did not quite see eye to eye with "the man".(Laidler debate) We have recruited spectacularly.
I do not refer to any individual being a superstar, but the number of talented youngsters and semi mature types, with
good attitudes and work ethics. They will combine with our experienced and developing players in a competition
for Top 22 spots greater than this old bloke can remember. We have depth and competition across the park, and
it is reasonable to expect a significant portion of this well compiled list will be long term "stars" of the game.

Malthouse has served his purpose well, and deserves our support. I am certainly not in favour of a hasty, long
term contract extension, but has earned some credits from this one time dissenter.

I was very underwhelmed and disappointed with the impact of MM for the best part of two years.
It took an inordinately long time to sort the wheat from the chaff and there were few apparent
positive signs.

UNTIL............we returned to action following the second bye round. It was as if a button had been pressed
and a new era was dawning. Players were representing each other and appeared to be enjoying the game
again. This followed a period of seeming indifference from the boys, and some perplexing selections.

I will not blindly attribute our recruitment, or even the policies to Malthouse alone. McKay, Rogers and company
played a huge part, and we on the outside will never know the respective inputs, Suffice to say the team is
working effectively. MM is a huge part of the team so I must give kudos where it is due.

I previously believed that the transition was too slow and pondered if we could have fast tracked the upward
curve? We will never know the answer to that question. The fact is we can see a bright light at the end of the
tunnel.

I am yet to be convinced that MM has the ability to run with a game plan that has kept up with the evolution
of the modern game, but will maintain an open mind until proven one way or the other. His effect on our culture
and the unity of our playing group cannot be questioned.

We have offloaded some weak links, and along the way have cut some arguably "innocent" casualties who lost
the numbers game or did not quite see eye to eye with "the man".(Laidler debate) We have recruited spectacularly.
I do not refer to any individual being a superstar, but the number of talented youngsters and semi mature types, with
good attitudes and work ethics. They will combine with our experienced and developing players in a competition
for Top 22 spots greater than this old bloke can remember. We have depth and competition across the park, and
it is reasonable to expect a significant portion of this well compiled list will be long term "stars" of the game.

Malthouse has served his purpose well, and deserves our support. I am certainly not in favour of a hasty, long
term contract extension, but has earned some credits from this one time dissenter.

Good post, well considered.

Interesting article here about Mick http://australianfootball.com/articles/view/Mick Malthouse - 40 years on/110
Often in discussing Micks coaching career, his Footscray days are glossed over.

Thanks for the link nubby, a great read. This part should have the MM-knows-how-to-build-a-list brigade pause for thought:

By the time he’d cleaned out his office in the bowels of the Whitten Stand only six players who represented the club in the 1985 Preliminary Final were still on the playing list – Foster, Hawkins, Kennedy, MacPherson, Royal & Wallis. It was around the time of his exit the Footscray Football Club almost ceased to exist. Congratulations are in order to Michael Malthouse on this milestone anniversary.

It seems in his second year MM had the team flying and then with a complete list revamp everything went downhill so badly the footy club nearly died.:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back