Opinion Mick Malthouse

What is the next move on Mick?

• Sack him immediately; replacement coach to see out the year.

Votes: 192 48.9%
  • Let him coach out the year then show him the door.

Votes: 70 17.8%
  • Sign him now to give coaches and players some direction.

Votes: 81 20.6%
  • Not sure yet... still too angry to think clearly.

Votes: 50 12.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think what you'll find with Hawthorn is that they were unusually introspective for a football club. They made a lot of choices that were emotionless (e.g. turning their back on favourite sons on a number of occasions and playing in Tas) and they made the right decisions for the right reasons. The resultant evolution of a properly structured organisation that resembles the professional world (as opposed to the 'professional' football world) coupled with significant investment enabled them to develop an excellent football program (which includes recruiting, development, coaching and conditioning).

It took us a long time to get the message and we probably only got there first because our team was pathetic without any star quality during the same period you had Judd and 3 young No. 1 selections which had everyone looking favourably at Carlton.

I vaguely remember listening to Dunstall being interviewed about their big turn around and him saying something along the lines of that the Hawthorn way of doing things wasn't working so they went and did it differently, got a guy from another club etc. I am guessing they sat down and had a pretty serious look at how they were doing things and changed everything that wasn't working. I think we've done the same thing. A lot has changed at Carlton in the last 3 or 4 years. It wont happen immediately, that's for sure but given time I think our current model and the people in charge looks solid though there are questions over our recruiting.

I have almost nothing to base this off other than he is building a good CV, but Dew strikes me as maybe a good bet for a young coach.
Seems to have a good temperament which I think is important in a coach these days.

Honesty is a virtue
Do you work for the club?
I assume 99.999% of us are armchair experts making opinions of observations and maybe the odd bit of data we see or rumour we hear
Transparency is advised

Sorry, I am just laughing at a lot of idiot opposition supporters who are taking Mick Malthouse saying 'I can't see us losing a game this year', in the wrong way. :straining:

There is a difference between optimism and cockiness.

I have almost nothing to base this off other than he is building a good CV, but Dew strikes me as maybe a good bet for a young coach.
Seems to have a good temperament which I think is important in a coach these days.
He was guaranteed the melbourne job that Goddwin ended up with but decided to stay in NSW. His wife is a newsreader for channel 7 and i think he is quite happy up in NSW and will probably transistion in to the top job once Longmire has had enough.

That's how I feel about Leigh Tudor, and has a great rapport with young players apparently.

Definitely my choice for #LAM (Life After Mick) ...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Zaius.

Zaius_1.jpg

Surely his future has to be tied in with the performances of the recruits and the development of the list and a style of play more than a win loss ratio. In that regard, and having watched your NAB 2 and 3 I think that the best thing you guys could do is extend Malthouse's contract for another few years as soon as possible rather than let the story build (and, over the next 12 to 18 months commence the search for the 2IC that he can groom to take over though it is not a strategy that needs to be announced for all of the obvious reasons).

It has to be encouraging that a list that has had such dramatic reconstructive surgery over the last few years has taken shape the way that it seems to have done so over the summer. I guess you'll be as paranoid about false dawns based on NAB cup as we are of season fade out and doctor's needles but you can already see the way the old Malthouse style has evolved, with more direct and attacking ball movement but still within the rigid structure that players seem to thrive within.

Byrne, Bell, Cripps, Docherty, White and maybe Everitt and Yarran again look to have seriously improved.

Jaksch (though he's still a year or so away from having the physical presence), Boekhurst and Jones look set to make the immediate impact desired.

It seems that everything is taking shape. If you have luck with injury throughout the year you'll be dangerous. It will be an exciting ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back