Opinion Mick Malthouse

What is the next move on Mick?

• Sack him immediately; replacement coach to see out the year.

Votes: 192 48.9%
  • Let him coach out the year then show him the door.

Votes: 70 17.8%
  • Sign him now to give coaches and players some direction.

Votes: 81 20.6%
  • Not sure yet... still too angry to think clearly.

Votes: 50 12.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
This has been the problem with this club for so long. People having an unrealistic expectation of where we are placed at any one time and nobody is prepared to let someone come in and fix things in a way that will lead to sustained success.

Where we finish on the ladder in any given year is of little relevance. I for one am not satisfied with a few fleeting finals appearances that result in us being bundled out in week one or two every time. It gives me no more satisfaction than finishing 10th or 11th.

Until we are in a position where we are a regular top 4 side which enables us to challenge we really have achieved nothing.

Realistically i don't really expect that Malthouse will be the one to deliver our next premiership but what he will do is get us on the right track. When he hands off to the next coach he will be doing so with us being better placed than we were when he took over.

It would be an absolute disaster for this club for Malthouse to be replaced now and i would suggest he needs to be at the helm for the next two or three years for us to benefit. Let him build some strong foundations rather than demolish everything again and bring in someone new that takes us in another direction.

deGalt Shift

Rookie
Jul 27, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Such an unfair question. Easier to point out failures than successes this early into a coaching stint. One person's idea on improvement is another's "not good enough". I'm confident MM will take us were we want to go. But that's me.

Why is it very easy to point out improvements and progress with Hinkley's first 20 months?

Or even Paul Roos at melbourne -who has a far more challenging role than Mick has.

Incidentally Port power and the Kangaroos spend about 13 million dollars each year on their footy departments. We spend about 21 million. Our turnover as a club is 57 million, about 17 million dollars more than Port.

So are we getting a bang for our dollar?

etsal1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Paul Roos. Taken Melbourne from bottom 2 to bottom 4. Genius.

Not to mention they are the ONLY team not to have score 100+ points in a game this year.

Big Sim

Cancelled
Apr 12, 2011
Hobart
AFL Club
Carlton
Paul Roos. Taken Melbourne from bottom 2 to bottom 4. Genius.

Not to mention they are the ONLY team not to have score 100+ points in a game this year.
For which he is being paid the weight of his playing list in gold. The AFLs gold.

They can't score of course because all their players are in their back half all the time stopping their opposition from kicking a big score. Not a winning score, just a big score.

Genius indeed.

For which he is being paid the weight of his playing list in gold. The AFLs gold.

They can't score of course because all their players are in their back half all the time stopping their opposition from kicking a big score. Not a winning score, just a big score.

Genius indeed.
Don't rate Roos and don't get all the love for him he has won 1 flag once with a COLA advantage.

His plan style is akin to a rained out bogged down under 9s match.

BIGGUS 64

Premiership Player
Feb 3, 2014
Greensborough
AFL Club
Carlton
Surely you jest not for another 5 years,he is the one of the reasons we are where we are ,great footballer club legend ,ordinary coach .Sorry i SAY NO way
I always thought having done his assistant coaching at Melbourne would've hindered his learning on the list side of things.

After a stint at the Hawks I think he'll have learned from the successful environment to develop his deficiencies and given another cracked he could succeed.

Always felt he did very well to pull us out of the rut we where in but didn't have the knowledge on how to sustain the climb and push to the top.

Ratten coaching a malthouse built list with the proper funds thrown into recruitment and development would be good..

Substitute Ratten for Buckley

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 21, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Coll bottomed out under Mick twice, but he took them to multiple ages and won a flag. I don't see many Coll people complaining

It is possible for a coach to oversee a side decline but still be doing a good job

Nearly everyone concedes our list is poor, and yet some think Mick should be taking us to the top four with the same list

Ratten coaching a malthouse built list with the proper funds thrown into recruitment and development would be good..

Substitute Ratten for Buckley

I agree that it may be a possibility once Ratten has had an appropriate amount of time away from the club to broaden his knowledge of coaching and how the successful clubs operate.

In the meantime Malthouse can strengthen the club and i think we need at least 5 years from him to enable him to do the job properly.

prisoner777

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 3, 2013
Bluesville Intergalactic Community
AFL Club
Carlton
This has been the problem with this club for so long. People having an unrealistic expectation of where we are placed at any one time and nobody is prepared to let someone come in and fix things in a way that will lead to sustained success.

Where we finish on the ladder in any given year is of little relevance. I for one am not satisfied with a few fleeting finals appearances that result in us being bundled out in week one or two every time. It gives me no more satisfaction than finishing 10th or 11th.

Until we are in a position where we are a regular top 4 side which enables us to challenge we really have achieved nothing.

Realistically i don't really expect that Malthouse will be the one to deliver our next premiership but what he will do is get us on the right track. When he hands off to the next coach he will be doing so with us being better placed than we were when he took over.

It would be an absolute disaster for this club for Malthouse to be replaced now and i would suggest he needs to be at the helm for the next two or three years for us to benefit. Let him build some strong foundations rather than demolish everything again and bring in someone new that takes us in another direction.
There is a lot of truth in your comments. I am tempered in my response by Nick Maxwell's comments in the media today about MM and how the Pies 2010 premiership came about. Will MM be able to just develop Carlton rather than going for his personal goal of another premiership?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back