Opinion Mick Malthouse

What is the next move on Mick?

• Sack him immediately; replacement coach to see out the year.

Votes: 192 48.9%
  • Let him coach out the year then show him the door.

Votes: 70 17.8%
  • Sign him now to give coaches and players some direction.

Votes: 81 20.6%
  • Not sure yet... still too angry to think clearly.

Votes: 50 12.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a lot of truth in your comments. I am tempered in my response by Nick Maxwell's comments in the media today about MM and how the Pies 2010 premiership came about. Will MM be able to just develop Carlton rather than going for his personal goal of another premiership?

I'm not sure it's about winning a flag for Mick. If it was you'd question whether he was the right chap.

I think he genuinely loves coaching and shaping groups of young men.

I'm not sure it's about winning a flag for Mick. If it was you'd question whether he was the right chap.

I think he genuinely loves coaching and shaping groups of young men.
Is that why he sold his car and bought that can :oops:

Mick is fixing the culture, sorting out the boys from the men, and indirectly improving recruitment - which is about all he can do with a poor list currently

We are lucky to have him to oversee the rebuilding of the list and culture

Yep, the sort of luck that sees us recruit his favourite son Daisy, now the most overpaid footballer in the competition. The sort of luck that sees a good quality footballer sulk off to Sydney and just possibly become a Premiership player this year. The sort of luck that sees us retain 3 footballers who clearly were not physically/mentally prepared for season 2014. What a great culture, what great sorting out, what great recruitment.
Gee it is fun being an ostrich.

Honestly, does being a premiership player suddenly make you an elite player?

Yep, the sort of luck that sees us recruit his favourite son Daisy, now the most overpaid footballer in the competition. The sort of luck that sees a good quality footballer sulk off to Sydney and just possibly become a Premiership player this year. The sort of luck that sees us retain 3 footballers who clearly were not physically/mentally prepared for season 2014. What a great culture, what great sorting out, what great recruitment.

If you can tell me what we could have done with Bootsma, Duigan and Scotland (which I am gathering are the 3 players you have mentioned) I would love to hear it.
From what I understand, Bootsma was contracted, we offered him to all clubs and no one wanted him.
Duigan had 1 year left and pulled the pin on us after the trade/draft period was complete. Sucks for us
Scotland was only ever in the team to show some direction, hence why he was rookie listed.
Cheers Windhover

There is a lot of truth in your comments. I am tempered in my response by Nick Maxwell's comments in the media today about MM and how the Pies 2010 premiership came about. Will MM be able to just develop Carlton rather than going for his personal goal of another premiership?

Could I ask what did Maxwell say in relation to Malthouse?

Not nearly as much fun as reading your posts, you ray of sunshine you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I want to know why potentially becoming a premiership player is used to argue how good Laidler is.
I did not argue "how good Laidler is" beyond the obvious inference that he is an AFL quality player that a struggling side would not want to lose. But we did. Because he sulked. Because his talents, such as they are, were not properly utilised or envisioned by MM. The same MM who thought it was a good idea to keep Duigs, Scotland and Bootsma. Go figure.

Hawks had a plan to isolate Laidler on Saturday night for a reason. And boy did it work.
True. And your point is? [I would love to think that the Hawks would go to the bother of working out a plan to exploit one of our players.]

Can we please get over Laidler.

Has some obvious virtues but some equally obvious deficiencies.

The view was taken that White is better value. Deal.With.It.
Amen.

Bottom line is that with their big paid players, Swans needed a bargain basement role player and they got one in Laidler. A side of their calibre can cover weaknesses a lot better than we can.

Who knows how Laidler would be going if he was in our side? Nobody, that's who. Besides Windhover that is.

Wait until Laidler asks for more than rookie wages @ Sydney...they'll just replace him with another recyclable.

Wait until Laidler asks for more than rookie wages @ Sydney...they'll just replace him with another recyclable.
Exactly. Look at how guys like Savage can look like decent players at Hawthorn, but put them in crap teams and see how they go.

Look at Clint Jones under Ross Lyon. Look at Clint Jones now.

Sharrod Wellingham is the poster boy.

Pick 18.
These days the talent is spread so thin over 18 teams, especially with the cream being skimmed for the last few years by GWS and GC, that getting the best out of your lesser lights is probably more important than getting the best out of your stars.

Ross Lyon did that really well at St Kilda and Paul Roos got a flag and almost went back to back with a side that was top heavy with journeymen. Both of these guys are regarded by many as geniuses because of it.

In our favour, Malthouse got a team with a lot of lesser lights into successive GFs in 2002 and 2003 and almost pinched a flag. So I am happy to have him among ours because we have plenty.

Totally agree with you!
Kid didn't buy into what Mick wanted. Move along Laids.

Mick (if given the opportuntity(and the club isn't too hasty and get rid of him)) will set this club up for long term success.
There was really 1 best 22 player (EB) that left last year and one who didn't buy in.
Mick replaced our list with 3 best 22 (excluding Cripps and Woods) along with potential talent (Giles, Holman, Johnson, Reynolds and the 2 irish lads)
Decent turn around really.
This year will be no different.
Mick will make us a better club and needs time!
We cannot live in the past!!! (Watson over Darling) :cry:

Great list management last year
Too many rucks moved one on for a great young mid/bf - Great trade
Too many small forwards, let one go to club of his choice - i love Eddie but asking too much and want to go home.
Too many hbfs, so let Laidler go for practically Everist, who can run all day, kick goals and can play as hbf - great trade
Would Laidler, Duigan and Bootsma get a game ahead of White, Doc, Walker, Buckley ?

Wait till Daisy fully fit to have a fair say but surely not the most over paid footballer, have you hear of Tom Scully, Q-Stick, Jesse White etc...

If you can tell me what we could have done with Bootsma, Duigan and Scotland (which I am gathering are the 3 players you have mentioned) I would love to hear it.
From what I understand, Bootsma was contracted, we offered him to all clubs and no one wanted him.
Duigan had 1 year left and pulled the pin on us after the trade/draft period was complete. Sucks for us
Scotland was only ever in the team to show some direction, hence why he was rookie listed.
Cheers Windhover

It is rare for me to find anyone who would "love" to hear one of my diatribes so I am quite undone.

Bootsma was given a further contract before the end of last season. So mm owns it. The fact no one else wanted boots - and mm did - must tell you something. No?
The only direction an injured scotty showed the team was one way - out.
Duigan was given another contract after the end of last season - he did not have 1 year left. So mm owns it.

IMO a coach who does not know/mistakes what is going on inside the head and body of one player is unlucky. For it to happen twice looks like more than carelessness (to channel oscar Wilde). For it to happen thrice is simply inexcusable. Nearing 10 percent of the list (that we know of) had reached the end before mm knew it. A good coach who knew his players and had their trust and confidence would have sent the 3 (or at least duigan and scotty) on there way so that others could have been tried.

Great list management last year
Too many rucks moved one on for a great young mid/bf - Great trade
Too many small forwards, let one go to club of his choice - i love Eddie but asking too much and want to go home.
Too many hbfs, so let Laidler go for practically Everist, who can run all day, kick goals and can play as hbf - great trade
Would Laidler, Duigan and Bootsma get a game ahead of White, Doc, Walker, Buckley ?

Wait till Daisy fully fit to have a fair say but surely not the most over paid footballer, have you hear of Tom Scully, Q-Stick, Jesse White etc...
I accept that Scully is more overpaid than daisy but, hyperbole aside you do not seem to disagree with me that daisy is, grossly overpaid.
Laidler and Everrit were not a trade. We could have had both. I would have ländler ahead of White any day, and for what it is worth, footywire stats support me.
Can you tell me what injury is present in a player for 2 prior seasons, enables him to play every game of this afl season and will somehow get better when Godot arrives?

Who? Laidler, Duigan, Mitchell, McCarthy, Hampson, Collins etc

Anyone that really wants to play is embraced by Mick.............but if you don't...........

The young guys like him a lot and so what's wrong with a bit of hard love anyway...............Worked on Yarran.
Despite my reservations about Mick as our coach there is no doubt he is respected by just about all players he works with - a reflection of his ability to connect with people of different personalities and temperaments

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back