Opinion Mick Malthouse

What is the next move on Mick?

• Sack him immediately; replacement coach to see out the year.

Votes: 192 48.9%
  • Let him coach out the year then show him the door.

Votes: 70 17.8%
  • Sign him now to give coaches and players some direction.

Votes: 81 20.6%
  • Not sure yet... still too angry to think clearly.

Votes: 50 12.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I recently acquired the Chosen Few again, and watching it again, i honestly see why Mich does put a few offside, but i personally enjoy his passion for football, despite what some in the media say, i think he coaches mostly to shape young men into becoming leaders on-field and better people off it as well, he is not on some EGO trip to show up Eddie and Bucks.

The club arguably hired Mick for the wrong reasons, but he is coaching us for the right reasons. I feel terribly sad though his wife doesn't feel comfortable going out anymore publicly with Mick, lost in all the furore of Grumpy Mick hysteria is that he is probably the most 'human' out of all the AFL coaches.

Certainly he has made Chris Yarran mature both on and off field to the point i expect Yaz to tear this league apart next season, and honestly think B.Gibbs is enjoying his football much more under MM and proof is in the pudding.

I hope he stays at the club for at least another 3 seasons, the club needs stability and continuity, sacking coaches every 2 or 3 years has hardly worked for Footscray for St Kilda (esp in recent times)

We all need to be on the same wavelength as Mick and the board next year and beyond. :)

I recently acquired the Chosen Few again, and watching it again, i honestly see why Mich does put a few offside, but i personally enjoy his passion for football, despite what some in the media say, i think he coaches mostly to shape young men into becoming leaders on-field and better people off it as well, he is not on some EGO trip to show up Eddie and Bucks.

Having not watched the Chosen Few I am still able to agree with everything you have posted in the above paragraph.

The club arguably hired Mick for the wrong reasons, but he is coaching us for the right reasons.
The club hired Mick for the right reason. I have always disagreed with the timing of Ratts' sacking. He should have completed his contracted term. But the Club, having reached the opinion that Ratts could not take us to the top 4 and a flag (about which others might reasonably disagree) it was entirely appropriate that the club should do due diligence in finding a coach that was capable of doing so. The idea that the Club had to sack Ratts to secure Mick because only Mick could coach us to a flag was, of course, just complete Messiah nonsense.But Mick was hired for the right reason - to win a flag.

I feel terribly sad though his wife doesn't feel comfortable going out anymore publicly with Mick, lost in all the furore of Grumpy Mick hysteria is that he is probably the most 'human' out of all the AFL coaches.

There are a whole lot of people about whom I feel "terribly sad". Maybe it says something about the sociopath in me but I do not have a twinge of sympathy for Mick's wife public discomfort. I would be interested to know how you gauge "humanness" in coaches (or anyone). Whatever metric you use do not expect Stevie Milne to agree with you.

Certainly he has made Chris Yarran mature both on and off field to the point i expect Yaz to tear this league apart next season, and honestly think B.Gibbs is enjoying his football much more under MM and proof is in the pudding.
You do know that selecting 2 players out of a list of 40 who happened to have had good seasons and making up crap about those 2 players and ascribing it to MM is not actually, you know, analysis? How about, for instance, the other 38? You do know mprovement in 2 players, even if that improvement can be ascribed to MM, has made us a bottom 6 side not a top 4 side?

I hope he stays at the club for at least another 3 seasons, the club needs stability and continuity, sacking coaches every 2 or 3 years has hardly worked for Footscray for St Kilda (esp in recent times)

Unlike you, I have given reasons why I hope MM is humiliated into resigning. Leave aside all the highly subjective stuff about his inability to develop a game plan in 2 years - unless being witches hats when the other side has the ball can be considered a "plan" - the most objective measure of MM's performance as coach is "ladder position". As a measure it is not perfect but, however one looks at it MM deserves a complete fail. If he can't be humiliated into resigning - and his self-belief even after the Melb, Ess, Coll, GWS and Bris losses suggest he can't - we need to find a new coach for 2016. If the short-list included Michael Voss and Nathan Bassett I would be happy.

We all need to be on the same wavelength as Mick and the board next year and beyond. :)
Yep, I agree with this. Let's follow the lead set by his wife. We can alleviate that "terrible sadness" you feel for her by consigning MM to the coach's dustbin. He is a has-been in every sense. Let him enjoy his retirement as a grandparent out of the public eye so that he may contemplate at leisure his coaching successes at Footscray, West Coast and Collingwood. Carlton is no place for old men.

Life's been a bit hard lately, but once again a certain poster has made me realise how fortunate I am not to be him, whilst at the same time he has decreed that Carlton is no place for old men, so given I am less than a decade younger than MM, I don't have much time left following the club. I guess I will have to find a lawn bowls or croquet club to follow in the not too distant future.

Life's been a bit hard lately, but once again a certain poster has made me realise how fortunate I am not to be him, whilst at the same time he has decreed that Carlton is no place for old men, so given I am less than a decade younger than MM, I don't have much time left following the club. I guess I will have to find a lawn bowls or croquet club to follow in the not too distant future.
Hope everything is ok MSR.

Hope everything is ok MSR.
You roll with the blows for as long as you can, but after awhile you become a bit punch drunk. It certainly changes your focus & makes you realise that as great as our game is, it pales into insignificance when compared to some of life's battles.

You roll with the blows for as long as you can, but after awhile you become a bit punch drunk. It certainly changes your focus & makes you realise that as great as our game is, it pales into insignificance when compared to some of life's battles.
Too true MSR. Had a similar realisation recently - as I said, hope everything works out ok for you :)

Having not watched the Chosen Few I am still able to agree with everything you have posted in the above paragraph.

The club hired Mick for the right reason. I have always disagreed with the timing of Ratts' sacking. He should have completed his contracted term. But the Club, having reached the opinion that Ratts could not take us to the top 4 and a flag (about which others might reasonably disagree) it was entirely appropriate that the club should do due diligence in finding a coach that was capable of doing so. The idea that the Club had to sack Ratts to secure Mick because only Mick could coach us to a flag was, of course, just complete Messiah nonsense.But Mick was hired for the right reason - to win a flag.

There are a whole lot of people about whom I feel "terribly sad". Maybe it says something about the sociopath in me but I do not have a twinge of sympathy for Mick's wife public discomfort. I would be interested to know how you gauge "humanness" in coaches (or anyone). Whatever metric you use do not expect Stevie Milne to agree with you.

You do know that selecting 2 players out of a list of 40 who happened to have had good seasons and making up crap about those 2 players and ascribing it to MM is not actually, you know, analysis? How about, for instance, the other 38? You do know mprovement in 2 players, even if that improvement can be ascribed to MM, has made us a bottom 6 side not a top 4 side?

Unlike you, I have given reasons why I hope MM is humiliated into resigning. Leave aside all the highly subjective stuff about his inability to develop a game plan in 2 years - unless being witches hats when the other side has the ball can be considered a "plan" - the most objective measure of MM's performance as coach is "ladder position". As a measure it is not perfect but, however one looks at it MM deserves a complete fail. If he can't be humiliated into resigning - and his self-belief even after the Melb, Ess, Coll, GWS and Bris losses suggest he can't - we need to find a new coach for 2016. If the short-list included Michael Voss and Nathan Bassett I would be happy.

Yep, I agree with this. Let's follow the lead set by his wife. We can alleviate that "terrible sadness" you feel for her by consigning MM to the coach's dustbin. He is a has-been in every sense. Let him enjoy his retirement as a grandparent out of the public eye so that he may contemplate at leisure his coaching successes at Footscray, West Coast and Collingwood. Carlton is no place for old men.

:drunk:

Was looking for a "spew" emoticon, but had to settle for this ... whatever it is ... confusion? despair? sympathy? ... All of the above perhaps.

I appreciate the attempt at coming across objective, but I'm not buying it matey.

So far, the current admin have not put a foot wrong .. I'm a critical observer and have been unhappy for years, so I'm not not just blindly following ... If you can't see the progress that has been made, you must have rocks in your head ... For someone that sprouts "analysis" there seems to be a lot of black and white, so to speak.

Why, oh why, did I walk back into this thread??! And then respond!! ... Not thinking clearly, obviously .... I'm outtahere again!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he can't be humiliated into resigning - and his self-belief even after the Melb, Ess, Coll, GWS and Bris losses suggest he can't - we need to find a new coach for 2016. If the short-list included Michael Voss and Nathan Bassett I would be happy.
:eek:
U ******* w0t m8?

You've officially lost me windy.

:eek:
U ******* w0t m8?

You've officially lost me windy.
Voss seriously over-estimated his side after his first year as coach and destroyed it by recruiting Fev. But I reckon he learnt from that and his player development and on-field coaching thereafter was impressive.

Voss seriously over-estimated his side after his first year as coach and destroyed it by recruiting Fev. But I reckon he learnt from that and his player development and on-field coaching thereafter was impressive.
You mean when the 5 players walked out because he made an unhealthy working environment? Yep, he really learnt his lesson.

I understand that people will always have different views about a club's coach, but what I don't get is how someone cay say that they hope MM is humiliated into resigning. How could any fan of their team want this?

It makes zero sense on the strength of this situation alone......................The coach didn't appoint himself. No need to say more.

Mick's our coach for now so either get on board or GTFO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back