Mike "C-Bomb" Fitzpatrick

Remove this Banner Ad

Eddie is known for his discretion. He is the Kong Kong of discretion.
So witty! The King Kong gaffe was a clumsy and poorly timed poke at unscrupulous promoters and entrepreneurs. Only the truly deceitful continue to pretend it was a racist jibe. This is not to be compared to making mileage out of a private conversation.

Positive take is Fitzs passion for making the expansion of our game work. It certainly underlines how poorly the execution of the expansion has been (compare GWS with the Wanderers) and the time spent developing the uncompetitive player list .

That Fitz is involved in a bid for the management rights of the new Perth stadium (competing with a WAFC led syndicate) is a matter for concern - footy needs to win those rights, there is nothing in it for the profits to be lining the pockets of a non footy body (e.g the MCC or Docklands).
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/mike-fitzpatrick-could-have-second-conflict-to-manage-at-major-afl-stadium-in-perth/story-fni5f22o-1227473229268

Fitzpatrick is a board member of Infrastructure Capital Group, which lists one of its assets as Sydney’s Stadium Australia.

story-fni5f22o-1227473229268

One of Infrastructure Capital’s trusts has shares in the group bidding for management rights to the WA stadium.

Last edited:

So witty! The King Kong gaffe was a clumsy and poorly timed poke at unscrupulous promoters and entrepreneurs. Only the truly deceitful continue to pretend it was a racist jibe. This is not to be compared to making mileage out of a private conversation.
Yes, Eddie is the equivalent of a 13 year old fan. I love Eddie's passion but please don't pretend he is a saint.

And by the way, are you suggesting that the Chairman of the AFL Commission abusing and threatening a club official should be kept secret? Not sure Eddie would agree with that.

Interesting comments from Bomber Thompson recently in an interview about the Don's doping program:

Thompson also said that under law, AFL chairman Mike Fitzpatrick was legally responsible because of the contract between players, their clubs and the league.
"For me, the whole thing is about providing a safe workplace," he said.
"Do you know who's most responsible there? It's the chairman of the AFL because it's a (tripartite) agreement.
"I'm not saying the AFL is most responsible - I'm just saying, by law, that's what happens."

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2015/08/08/thompson-says-dons-drowning-afl

The sharks are circling.

Interesting comments from Bomber Thompson recently in an interview about the Don's doping program:

Thompson also said that under law, AFL chairman Mike Fitzpatrick was legally responsible because of the contract between players, their clubs and the league.
"Do you know who's most responsible there? It's the chairman of the AFL because it's a (tripartite) agreement.
"I'm not saying the AFL is most responsible - I'm just saying, by law, that's what happens."

The sharks are circling.

Not sure I'd hang my hat on a bush lawyer with a vested interest.

The sharks are circling.

that's just bullshit, although the AFL could be sued the main culprit is and always will be the EFC. you'd have to prove mike was aware of the program before you could even think about getting his head near the plate.

that's just bullshit, although the AFL could be sued the main culprit is and always will be the EFC. you'd have to prove mike was aware of the program before you could even think about getting his head near the plate.
Nothing like a bit of personal responsibility with Bomber already looking to pass blame.
This is not the players or the fans fault entirely the management and coachs and none of them should be allowed near any sports club again.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Nothing like a bit of personal responsibility with Bomber already looking to pass blame.
This is not the players or the fans fault entirely the management and coachs and none of them should be allowed near any sports club again.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

and that is where the AFL is negligent. these reckless nutjobs are still involved in the industry at a top level is a blight.
everyone involved should have been marched out the door. starting with the SOB's who went out of their way to implement the program thats bomber and hird.

Not sure I'd hang my hat on a bush lawyer with a vested interest.
I don't for a second think that the AFL admin will actually be held legally responsible, I was more referring to the media sharks. Between the recent articles about the Goodes response, the trade ban and this, it seems clear that Fitzpatrick is no longer a protected species.

I don't for a second think that the AFL admin will actually be held legally responsible, I was more referring to the media sharks. Between the recent articles about the Goodes response, the trade ban and this, it seems clear that Fitzpatrick is no longer a protected species.

I doubt Fiztpatrick cares about the media campaign. He's not exactly new to business or football.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They care because they are paranoid about negative media commentary.
Do you really think they are going to change the 3 strike regime for the players benefit?
They also care because the clubs have had enough and it's actually the clubs that can oust the lot of them.

They care because they are paranoid about negative media commentary.
Do you really think they are going to change the 3 strike regime for the players benefit?
They also care because the clubs have had enough and it's actually the clubs that can oust the lot of them.

There is no mechanism that allows the clubs to do any such thing short of starting a new competition. Clubs can nominate a representative, they cannot remove them.

The Commissioners are elected by the clubs.
Clubs can veto decisions with a 2/3 majority.

The power ultimately rests with the clubs if the get organised.

The Commissioners are elected by the clubs.
Clubs can veto decisions with a 2/3 majority.

The power ultimately rests with the clubs if the get organised.

Again, Commissioners are voted by the clubs, there is no mechanism to remove them. Clubs only have the power to veto a decision where it pertains to relocation/mergers and new licenses. There is literally no other power they have over commission decisions - they did this to themselves in 1993.

I'd back Fitzpatrick to win the fight over Sydney.

What makes you think the rest of the Commission care? Which of them - other than Mclachlan - has said anything at all recently?

Statements by Commissioners are rare IMHO, Fitz rarely comments, its why they have a CEO.

Given most of the Commission were tapped on the shoulder by Fitz they are unlikely to revolt, thus the relevance of the Terry O'Connor ousting by the Melbourne clubs led by Jack Elliot & his mate Eddie.
Sydney to fire the bullets?

Meantime the lefties on the Commission are rubber stamping changes at AFL House, window dressing following the resignation of its highest ranking female (Ms Hisgrove) followed by a quick move to the deck chairs (on the Titanic ;)) to promote ex Bombers PEDs operative Liz Lukin.

Again, Commissioners are voted by the clubs, there is no mechanism to remove them. Clubs only have the power to veto a decision where it pertains to relocation/mergers and new licenses. There is literally no other power they have over commission decisions - they did this to themselves in 1993.

Terry O'Connor?

Terry O'Connor?

Having looked at this further. Im not sure how much of a "coup" it was, rather that he wasnt re-elected after standing again - which is a mechanism the clubs do have some control over. Non executive Commissioners are elected for three years, and it looks like the clubs simply didnt vote him back in for a fourth term. He was replaced by SA's Bob Hammond.

Given most of the Commission were tapped on the shoulder by Fitz they are unlikely to revolt, thus the relevance of the Terry O'Connor ousting by the Melbourne clubs led by Jack Elliot & his mate Eddie.

Only Langford remains from Commissioners before Fitzpatrick even began serving (he replaced David Shaw at the same time Hammond was elected, Fitz wasnt elected until 2003 when he replaced Graeme Samuel).

Having looked at this further. Im not sure how much of a "coup" it was, rather that he wasnt re-elected after standing again - which is a mechanism the clubs do have some control over. Non executive Commissioners are elected for three years, and it looks like the clubs simply didnt vote him back in for a fourth term. He was replaced by SA's Bob Hammond.

Naive at best. I'll pull some detail to support my claim just not today.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back