Mike Sheehan's Top 50 for the last 25 years

Remove this Banner Ad

agree not much splits silvagni & scarlett but considering how hard it is to find champion defenders both could be higher

disagree on Hodge ... and rate him v high .. there has been no better finals player this century

agree again johnson , as someone else said grant should have been instead and that is comparing bulldogs alone

matera was a gun but @ 10 I would take SOS or Scarlett before him

personally i rate riewoldt above brown
Matera would eat SOS n Scarlett 4 brekky

Assessing his career as a whole, is Jonathan Brown the most overrated player in football? On his day he was unstoppable, and sounds like a ripper bloke, but injuries seriously curtailed his output over his career.

Assessing his career as a whole, is Jonathan Brown the most overrated player in football? On his day he was unstoppable, and sounds like a ripper bloke, but injuries seriously curtailed his output over his career.

I guess this is what people think of when rating him so highly, not his fault though I suppose. When he was on he would win games off his own boot and made it look so easy, but unfortunately wasn't able to do it for long enough throughout his career. Similar to Daniel Kerr.

agree not much splits silvagni & scarlett but considering how hard it is to find champion defenders both could be higher

disagree on Hodge ... and rate him v high .. there has been no better finals player this century

agree again johnson , as someone else said grant should have been instead and that is comparing bulldogs alone

matera was a gun but @ 10 I would take SOS or Scarlett before him

personally i rate riewoldt above brown

That is highly debatable

6: Michael Voss - Too High
10: Peter Matera - Too High
18: Stephen Kernahan - Too High
19: Matthew Scarlett - Too Low
20: Stephen Silvagni - Too High
22: Brad Johnson - Too High
30: Gavin Wanganeen - Too High
38: Alistair Lynch - Too High
45: Jimmy Bartel - Too High
50: Matthew Pavlich - Too Low
LOL at Jimmy Bartel too high but you are happy to have Hodge at 15... plz

Why would a kleenex be required for laughing at biased stupidity.. you want to play that game
Hodge ahead of buckley, kelly, kernahan, riccutio, pavlich, silvagni, scarlett etc is a disgrace. Mitchell should be higher than hodge
Disgrace?!? Pull the other one. Hodge is a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame. No hesitation, no questions asked. He'll go straight in…

The people who have watched Mitchell and Hodge closely every week for the past 13 years would rate the pair about even. Plenty of debate amongst Hawk fans about who is better. The answer usually depends on who was better the previous year.

For some ungodly reason, the Big Footy intelligentsia think they know better. Why would their half-arsed opinions even matter? They probably watch a dozen Hawthorn games AT MOST in any one year, Probably more like 6 or 7 games. And probably half of those with one eye open, or flicking the channel…. In between bagging the umpires for favouring Hawthorn; or bagging the commentators whenever they talk up any of our players; or whining about the Cyril Rioli fapfests, etc, etc….

Some of Hodge's best football was played from 2005 to 2008 when Hawthorn was up and coming young side who barely rated on anyone's radar.
He also had a fantastic season in 2010 when he was named All-Australian captain and players voted him a clear 2nd to Swanny in their MVP award.

Due to the goldfish memories of many footy fans who post on here, I doubt these seasons (the first 9 years of their 13 year careers) would even enter the equation - so when people on here claim that Mitchell is way ahead of Hodge, I just assume they're talking about from 2011 to 2014.

Disgrace?!? Pull the other one. Hodge is a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame. No hesitation, no questions asked. He'll go straight in…

The people who have watched Mitchell and Hodge closely every week for the past 13 years would rate the pair about even. Plenty of debate amongst Hawk fans about who is better. The answer usually depends on who was better the previous year.

For some ungodly reason, the Big Footy intelligentsia think they know better. Why would their half-arsed opinions even matter? They probably watch a dozen Hawthorn games AT MOST in any one year, Probably more like 6 or 7 games. And probably half of those with one eye open, or flicking the channel…. In between bagging the umpires for favouring Hawthorn; or bagging the commentators whenever they talk up any of our players; or whining about the Cyril Rioli fapfests, etc, etc….

Some of Hodge's best football was played from 2005 to 2008 when Hawthorn was up and coming young side who barely rated on anyone's radar.
He also had a fantastic season in 2010 when he was named All-Australian captain and players voted him a clear 2nd to Swanny in their MVP award.

Due to the goldfish memories of many footy fans who post on here, I doubt these seasons (the first 9 years of their 13 year careers) would even enter the equation - so when people on here claim that Mitchell is way ahead of Hodge, I just assume they're talking about from 2011 to 2014.
Hodge is a great player, but 15? No way, would struggle to make the 50. Hes been great but so have many other players.

Translation: Unless your commenting on a player for your own team, don't bother :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Hodge is a great player, but 15? No way, would struggle to make the 50. Hes been great but so have many other players.
Struggle to make the 50….??? Yeah, okay. :D

Hodge ahead of buckley, kelly, kernahan, riccutio, pavlich, silvagni, scarlett etc is a disgrace.

As much as I loved watching Paul Kelly, I think he is being overrated by a few of the neutral fans on here. Funny how everyone has listed all the "overrated" players on Mike's list and barely anyone has mentioned Paul Kelly at no.24. It just goes to show you the average age (or the goldfish memories) of people posting in this thread.

Just to be clear, I was always huge fan of 'Kells'. He was a little champion. I'm not knocking him. Not at all. It always shat me when people left his name off these types of "best player" lists. But I've noticed (in this thread anyway) quite a few people like yourself use his name whenever they pick examples of players who "should've been higher than" so and so… Bollocks!

Mike Sheahan has overrated Kelly by placing him at no.24. That's higher than Mark Ricciuto (8 time All Australian), John Platten, Jason Akermanis, Shane Crawford, Joel Selwood, Brent Harvey, Craig Bradley, Scott Pendlebury, Sam Mitchell and Dane Swan. Those guys never let up. Nothing could stop them. With one or two exceptions, they starred every single year.

Nobody even rated Kelly until he scored a surprise win in the 1995 Brownlow. He'd been a good little player in a poor team before that. I wouldn't say "great". He had a few rough edges, his disposal wasn't great, but he was a goer. 1995, 1996, 1997 were his peak years - he was a dead-set gun - All Australian for 3 successive years. After that, he struggled with injuries and missed a lot of footy. He was never again the driving force that he was up until '97.

People are basically rating Paul Kelly on his three best years. Very lenient.
Other champions were equally good, if not better, but did it for 10 years or more…

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit - I don't see the point in bagging past or present champions as "overrated" just because a dickhead like Mike Sheahan has made another one his Top 50 lists. I just think it's a crock of s**t the way people have singled out Hodge, Brad Johnson and one or two others as being overrated. There are many players on that list who are rated higher than they should be. It's a Mike Sheahan list, for f**ks sake. Far better for people to talk positively about underrated players than to overreact to Sheahan's crap and talk negatively about overrated players.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll go out on a limb here in relation to the Hall of Fame.
When they become eligible, Pav will stroll in straight away, Hodge might have a wait of a year or three.
Geez .... Hodge is a good player, but please stop pumping him up !!!!, your pressure gauge appears to be faulty.
Isn't it amazing that Hawthorn have won 3 premierships with so many useless & overrated players?
It's the same number of flags as the great Geelong Cats and the awesome Brisbane Lions.

Of course, Hodge played no major part in any of it. He was just a passenger along for the ride.

Last edited:
Isn't it amazing that Hawthorn have won 3 premierships with so many useless overrated players?
It's the same number of flags as the great Geelong Cats and the awesome Brisbane Lions.

Of course, Hodge played no major part in any of it. He was just a passenger along for the ride.
Amazing. Its almost like Hodge won all 3 flags by himself.

Isn't it amazing that Hawthorn have won 3 premierships with so many useless & overrated players?

Confusing club with team here. Difference is, Geelong and Brisbane won there's with most of the premiership players on the list for all three. Hawthorn had only six premiership players from 2014 on the list in 2008. That means 16 players from the 2014 flag team were elsewhere in 2008. Not the same achievement.

You then go on to exaggerate that because someone thinks Hodge doesn't deserve to be at 15 that the Hawks are filled with useless and overrated players. Really weird and out of proportion response from you to what is a majority held (normal) opinion from non-Hawks that Hodge is way too high on Mike's list.

never said he wouldnt get in the hall of fame.. he is just not deserving of been in the top 25 players of the last 25 years.. yet alone number 15!!

I'll go out on a limb here in relation to the Hall of Fame.

When they become eligible, Pav will stroll in straight away, Hodge might have a wait of a year or three.

Geez .... Hodge is a good player, but please stop pumping him up !!!!, your pressure gauge appears to be faulty.
That is a long limb. Hodge is proven clutch player - Pav has a question mark on him under pressure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back