mike123

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Pokemon is Life
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus
I thought I'd do a phantom draft. Its the first one I've done, criticism is welcome just go easy me.

Round One:

Pick 1 ~ St. Kilda: Christian Petracca
Range: 1-5
Height: 186cm Weight: 92kg
Position: Midfield/Forward
Player Comparison: Dustin Martin
Profile: Christian Petracca is a dominant midfielder with the ability to push forward and kick goals. He's versatile in that he can play through the midfield as a deep forward target or as a high half-forward flanker. Petracca is great mark for someone his size and has excellent core strength. His explosiveness and kicking skills sets him apart from other midfielders his size.

Pick 2 ~ Melbourne: Angus Brayshaw
Height: 187cm Weight: 87kg
Position: Inside Midfielder
Player Comparion: Sam Mitchell (Bigger)
Profile: His got that rare combination of elite inside ability and footskills much like Sam Mitchell. But like Mitchell isn't very athletic. Also Brayshaw in 2014 captained Sandringham Dragons witch show he could potential become a team leader. Would be a perfect fit for Melbourne's midfield.

Pick 3 ~ Melbourne: Patrick McCartin
Height: 193cm Weight: 95kg
Position: Full Forward
Player Comparison: Taylor Walker
Profile: Not the biggest key forward out there. McCartin is an excellent mark on the lead and for a key forward is good below his knees. Creates some real separation with his acceleration when he leads. Reads the ball really well in the air and is able to out body his opponents because of it. Needs to work on his set shot ability. McCartin and Hogan will make a deadly combination.

Pick 4 ~ GWS: Peter Wright
Height: 203cm Weight: 102kg
Postion: Key Forward/Key Forward
Player Comparison: David Hale (Slightly better forward)
Profile: Wright is a player that can dominate both in the ruck and the forwardline. Is really good out on the lead. Consistency is a bit of an issue he'll have to work on. With GWS losing Boyd I'd think they'd want another 200cm+ key forward to replace him. He's a better rucking ability than Boyd so he can potentially fit better with Cameron and Patton.

Pick 5 ~ Collingwood: Jayden Laverde
Range: 4-15
Height 189cm Weight 82kg
Positon: Forward/Midfield
Player Comparison: Will Hoskin-Elliott
Profile: Laverde has great speed and evasiveness. He's also a strong mark and a good leap. Decision making is mostly good. Laverde is very versatile as he can play back forward and midfield but plays best up forward whilst having stints through the middle. Its still an unknown at the moment I'd he can become a full time midfielder at AFL level.

Pick 6 ~ GWS: Sam Durdin
Range: 5-15
Height: 197cm Weight: 89kg
Position: Key Forward/Key Defender
Player comparison: Ben Reid
Profile: A versatile key position player has the ability to play both forward as a genuine target and a great interceptor and rebounder down back much like a Ben Reid. Durdin is a brilliant reader of the footy. Is very capable of taking a crunching pack mark. He is very tough player and what you love in a key position player or any player really. Very clean and effective user of the footy and has great vision. Durdin also moves very well for a player his size and is sound below his knees. Would be a good fit for GWS as an attacking CHB.

Pick 7 ~ GWS: Paul Ahern
Range: 5-20
Height: 181cm Weight: 77kg
Position: Forward/Midfield
Player Comparison: Shane Edwards
Profile: Is a very good user of the ball. Ahern is a goal kicking midfielder and forward tha can make things happen. He has great awareness, agility and speed if given a littlee space will slice a team up. Has the abiltiy to win his own ball but it still a bit inconsistent. Ahern will give GWS another small midfielder forward option and could work well in combination with Devon Smith.

Pick 8 ~ Gold Coast: Lachie Weller
Height: 181cm Weight: 77cm
Position: Inside/Outside Midfielder
Player Comparison: Ryan Griffan
Profile: Weller is one of the most damaging midfielders of the draft. He's blessed with acceleration and agility like Ryan Griffan that allows him move through traffic with ease. His very good ball in hand as he's also very good kick that and can cut up the opposition. His great with short, medium and long passes. Weller is fairly versitile as he can play as a playmaking half-back or a creative half-forward on a wing or in the centre square.

Pick 9 ~ Collingwood: Darcy Moore (Father Son)
Range: 2-10
Height: 199cm Weight: 91kg
Position: Key Forward/Defender
Player Comparison: Jarryd Roughead
Profile: Moore is a very versatile and athletic key forward. He has the ability to play forward, back, ruck and even has some scope to pinch hit in the middle similar to Jarryd Roughead. As a defender he is a great stopper but a poor rebounder, much like Nathan Brown. He projects as a better player up forward. Moore is great below he's knees and not just for a tall guy but would give a few smaller blokes a run for there money too. Moore is very competitive full of second efforts and run down tackles. Moore is a very good mark on the lead and creates real separation from his opponent. Isn't the best of a pack mark and 1v1 player but is very capable. Moore is also contains strong leadership qualities.

Pick 10 ~ Geelong: Jake Lever

Range: 4-10
Height: 194cm Weight: 84kg
Position: Half-Back Flank/Centre Half-Back
Player Comparison: Sam Fisher
Profile: Talented key defender is a very good rebounder and capable stopper. Can play as a CHB or a rebounding flanker. Has leadership qualities which are important for a play maker down back. Is very good by hand and foot and has the ability to make very dangerous passes and set up good switches. Lever is a good fit for Geelong as Enright is 33, Lonergan is almost 31, Mackie is 30 and Harry Taylor is at 28.

Pick 11 ~ West Coast: Jarrod Pickett
Height: 180cm Weight: 76kg
Position: Wing/Half-forward
Player Comparison: Stephen Hill
Profile: Pickett is an is blessed with elite speed and he knows how to use it. He is the best linebraker of the draft. He also has a great side-step where he doesn't break stride but gets away from his oponent with ease. Pickett is an excellent kick on the run but needs some work on his kicking when stationary. For an outstide player Pickett is a good accumulator isn't afraid of winning his own ball. Pickett is best used on a wing rotating forward similar to a role Lewis Jetta and Isaac Smith play but can play in the centre square at half-back. Needs to work on his defensive running.

Pick 12 ~ Richmond: Jordan De Goey

Height: 187cm Weight: 82kg
Position: Midfield/Forward
Player Comparison: Paul Chapman
Profile: De Goey is a strong marking inside midfielder and lead up medium forward. De Goey can use his marking and ball reading to take a grab up forward or to intercept an opposition kick. He also reads hit outs as well as he reads the ball in flight. De Goey is a great kick and decision maker. He's also very hard at the ball and player. Richmond have few holes in their list but a big bodied strong marking classy midfielder is always handy. Needs to work a bit more on his outside game.

Pick 13 ~ Fremantle: Hugh Goddard
Height: 196cm Weight: 93kg
Position: Key Defender/Key Forward
Player Comparison: Eric McKenzie
Profile: Goddard is an aggressive key position player. He has shown he can play both forward and back, but he's more suited in the backline as he lacks a stand out attribute up forward. Goddard is strong and athletic and is great at shuting down his opponent on the lead and 1v1. Kicking isn't a standout but not much of a problem. With Michael Johnson and Luke McPharlin getting on in age a key defender would be a list fit.

Pick 14 ~ Adelaide: Caleb Marchbank
Range: 10-20
Height: 193cm Weight: 85kg
Position: Full Back
Player Comparison: Cale Hooker
Profile: Marchbank is a key defender good one-on-one and on the lead. He can also a good intercept mark. He is a very good shut down player but get involved in the rebound. Disposal still needs some work on. Has the ability to play up forward but is more suited as a defender.

Pick 15 ~ Gold Coast: Kyle Langford
Range: 5-25
Height: 190cm Weight: 73cm
Position: Utility
Player Comparison: Marcus Bontempelli
Profile: A versatile type, Langford is an excellent mover for a 190cm guy. Langford is strong overhead and possesses good skills. Can play a range of role with his height and athletic ability and skillset. Langford still has a light frame and needs to bulk up. Gold Coast have a strong list and will take the best available.

Pick 16 ~ North Melbourne: Nakia Cockatoo
Range: 10-30
Height: 188cm Weight: 84kg
Player Comparison: Gary Rohan
Profile: Cockatoo is the second best line breaker in the draft after Pickett. Cockatoo possesses great speed and agility and is a sound user of the ball and is no slouch in front of goals. Cockatoo also knows a few evasive tricks and can step through traffic with ease. His height and speed allows him to play a number of role, he can play as an inside midfielder, outside midfielder, half-back flank and half-forward flank.

Pick 17 ~ Essendon: Liam Duggan
Range: 5-30
Height: 183cm Weight: 76kg
Player Comparison: Steele Sidebottom
Profile: Versatile player mainly outside, can play up forward, back or on a wing. Probably best utilised on a wing, he is good on both sides of his body. Possesses a damaging left foot but his right foot is also reliable. Reads the ball in the air well and is a strong tackler.

Pick 18 ~ Sydney: Isaac Heeney (Academy)
Height: 186cm Weight: 82kg
Position: Inside Midfielder
Player Comparison: Travis Boak
Profile: The most complete player of the draft. Heeney is hard at the ball and has a strong contested game, runs both ways, tackles hard, is sound by hand and foot and balances his inside game with a two way running outside game. Heeney does lacks x-factor though that is about the only knock you can have on this kid. Moves through traffic okay but not elite, isn't slow but isn't particularly fast either. Sydney picking him up at 18 is an absolute steal.

Pick 19 ~ Carlton: Connor Menadue
Range: 15-35
Height: 188cm Weight: 69kg
Position: Midfield/Backline
Player Comparison: Isaac Smith
Profile: Menadue is an outside midifielder with an explosive side-step and elite acceleration. Has the ability to cut open games with his explosiveness and footskills. Possess clean hands perfect for an outside reciever. Will add some excitement to Carlton's midfield.

End of First Round:

Pick 20 ~ Essendon: Corey Ellis
Range: 10-30
Height: 185cm Weight: 76kg
Position: Midfielder/Defender
Player Comparison: Andrew Gaff
Profile: A skillfull midfielder and defender Ellis is productive and makes things happen. Has a good balance between inside out and is a very good ball user and can hit targets long and short. Very good at delivering to forwards. Ellis is also a solid tackler for a guy with a relatively light frame.

Pick 21 ~ St. Kilda: Tom Lamb
Range: 10-35
Height: 192cm Weight: 83kg
Positon: Forward/Midfield
Player Comparison: Nathan Fyfe
Profile: Lamb has the ability to play a range of position because of his height. Lamb is great at ground level and has clean hands and is a great mark and contested mark. Lamb reads the ball well in the air and knows how to win the contested ball. His kicking and decision making leaves a bit to be desired though and his consistency can be improved on.

Reserved for second round

Reserved for third round (maybe)

Thanks, I'll get round 2 done ASAP, I'll still have to do a fair bit of research for round 3 as there are more unknowns.

Well done on a first phantom! I also like how you have mixed things up a little bit but not in an unrealistic way. You have really thought about the team needs as well as player ability.

While I think you could be spot on with many of your selections I am hoping Connor Menadue slips through to the Doggies at pick 26 as opposed to going to Carlton at 19. Other than that I really like your phantom draft.

I think you almost spot on with your phantom draft Mike123, but the saints should go with Patrick McCartin with no 1. Looking forward to seeing your Second/Third round selections!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Please, not Jordan De Goey for Richmond. Not a hope in this world that a player with a name like De Goey is going to make it in the AFL. A definite spud.
My son's name sounds like a surfer or extreme games athlete. It just doesn't sound like a footy name. In your opinion should I stop him playing footy and just concentrate on other sports?

Please, not Jordan De Goey for Richmond. Not a hope in this world that a player with a name like De Goey is going to make it in the AFL. A definite spud.

What do you think of Viojo-Rainbow, Cockatoo and Uebergang?

My son's name sounds like a surfer or extreme games athlete. It just doesn't sound like a footy name. In your opinion should I stop him playing footy and just concentrate on other sports?
LOL, it's not a set rule, just something I've watched over many years. For example, before the draft that Patrick Dangerfield was in, i said to myself pre draft, this guy must be a future star cos Dangerfield was almost the best footy name i'd ever seen. A player Richmond drafted many years ago was destined for failure, his name was Ben Careless, i mean Careless lol, not a hope of making it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back