Delisted Terry Milera

Remove this Banner Ad

stkildathunda

DEMPSTERED
10k Posts St Kilda Saints - Tom Ledger 2012 Player Sponsor St Kilda Saints - Nicholas Heyne 2011 Player Sponsor St Kilda Saints - Nicholas Heyne 2010 Player Sponsor
Sep 7, 2008
Inside The Circle Of Zen
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Man Utd
Height: 185cm
Weight: 71kg
DOB: 08/01/88
Club: Port Adelaide Magpies (SA)

Bio: Lightly-built medium forward and midfielder who is trying to break into the AFL at the age of 22. Won the 2010 reserves best and fairest in the SANFL while playing for the Port Adelaide Magpies.

[youtube]aPBtEgW_iaU[/youtube] [youtube]IzFc5XwdgwI[/youtube][youtube]HmivodH1jDk[/youtube]
[youtube]BPL5rOf3g2M[/youtube] [youtube]26Hn2Mfmkqk[/youtube]

Re: Terry Milara

Milera. ;)

Hard-working Terry Milera shapes up for St Kilda

by: Jai Bednall
October 23, 2011 12:00AM

920478-terry-milera.jpg

GAVIN Wanganeen saw first-hand the disappointment on Terry Milera's face when he wasn't picked by an AFL club last year.

78kg reads wayy better than 71, bonus! Might be ready to roll sooner than we thought.

Terry Milera

In 2010 Terry was overlooked in the national draft and was devastated, but he didn't give up. His brother-in-law Gavin Wanganeen took him under his wing and helped him get stronger in the legs and hips to enable him to get to more contests, and do more when he got to them.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...eras-back-pocket/story-e6freck3-1226339187963

He made a name for himself in the SANFL as a highly skilled, quick player that could do the mercurial things and the following year his dream of playing AFL football came true when he was pre-listed by GWS along with Ahmed Saad and traded to St Kilda for a swap of picks.

When they arrived it was Saad who everyone thought would be getting games first as he had the bigger body and could also do some of the exciting things Milera could as well, but the longer preseason went on the more Terry impressed the coaches with not only the offensive side of his game but his contested ball work and defensive game. Milera played a blinder for Sandy the week before the AFL season started and the following week was a surprise inclusion to the team to take on Port Adelaide, and he didn't disappoint. He kicked his first AFL goal, set up a couple of others and showed that he was everything that he was hyped up to be and in doing that added something to a St Kilda team that we so desperately needed. Terry was good early in the season, and the signs were there that he was soon going to take a game apart which he eventually did on Monday Night Football against Carlton. He kicked 3, should've kicked 6 and along with the other members of the rat pack put on a show against Carlton in a big win. Another memorable moment that showed the type of skill level he has was when he delivered a 40-50m bullet on the left foot across his body to a man inside 50 against the Gold Coast.

This is where things get interesting. Milera was running into goal against Sydney and had a shot while Riewoldt was screaming for the ball and even though the kick wasn't on, he let Terry know all about it. This is where most people think the drop in form started. A guy that played on instinct wasn't able to do that anymore and started second-guessing everything he did, and combining that with the return of Schneider it wasn't long before Terry was dropped. He played fairly well in the VFL without setting the world on fire then was eventually brought in for last two games of the season, kicking three in each game and reminding us all of what he's capable of.

Overall it was a good season for the 24 year old. Can be guilty of trying to do a bit too much sometimes but when it pays off it usually does in a big way. Terry looks set for more midfield time in 2013 and most are expecting big things from him and I have no doubt he'll deliver.

Season rating: 7.5/10

images

What happen to this guy? Didn't hear much about him this year?
Well don't I look silly.

IMO it was a case of second year blues and trying to transition him into the midfield. I thought he started off the season pretty well and was stiff to be dropped, from then just couldn't get going. Injured his ankle with about six or 8 weeks to go and that was the end of him for the year. I expect him to bounce back next year. Isn't a midfielder though IMO but we'll see.

He was on a two year deal. Has he re-signed yet? We'll take him back if ya don't want him ;)

He was on a two year deal. Has he re-signed yet? We'll take him back if ya don't want him ;)

Signed on for 3 years just after he broke his ankle from memory :confused: We'll trade him, all we ask is pack of M&M's in return. Deal?

Signed on for 3 years just after he broke his ankle from memory :confused: We'll trade him, all we ask is pack of M&M's in return. Deal?

How about a McHappy meal?!

No really.. Port would look at him if you packaged him up with Rhys. We need some speed, and we always think twice when they are Port boys.

#32 Terry Milera

In 2011, only 3 players kicked more than 15 goals. The additions of Milera (along with Saad) helped to boost St Kilda’s options and he kicked 19.11 in 15 games in 2012.

Watters added to the “mosquito fleet” during the offseason, in the hope that players like Milera would be able to push up into the midfield rotations. Watters had commented that Milera had only done “20 per cent” of his first pre-season, and expected that he would benefit from a heavier programme.

Milera kicked 3.2 in round 1, had 5 tackles and 4 inside 50s in round 2, and 18 possessions and 2 goals in round 3.

However, against the Injectors in round 4 he had a poor game and was subbed off with 8 possessions.

Dropped to the VFL, he had a day out against Werribee with 6 goals. Almost everything he did turned into gold. However, he picked up a slight niggle and missed a week.

He returned to the AFL team in round 7 and had 14 possessions and a goal assist, but was off target with 1.3.

Milera was to kick just one more AFL goal for the rest of the season (5 games), ending with 7 (compared to his 19 the previous year).

After 0.2 against Adelaide in round 8 he was again dropped. He played 3 VFL games, returning once again to the AFL after a 5 goal performance.

His game against Melbourne was noteworthy for 23 possessions and 4 goal assists.

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2013-06-25/mileras-midfield-move
“Milera describes his time in the VFL as “a bit frustrating” but believes it has been a learning experience for him. “When I went back to Sandy the coaches tried to get me to play on the wing more, so (against the Demons) I had a bit more of a run on the wing, which was good. I played most of my SANFL days on the wing, so to come to AFL I probably need to build my endurance up to play a bit more on the wing, so that’s what I’m aiming for. I’ve been in and out of the team, so at the moment (my main goal) is probably just to keep my spot, and just play my role for the team, and contribute to the team week in, week out. Consistency – that’s the main thing I need to aim for.”

Being brutal, his game against the Tigers the next week was little short of awful with 7 possessions. He was surprising ineffective as a sub in the following 2 games (5 possessions in each and no shots on goal), and once again returned to the VFL.

He was having significant impact (25 possessions and 1.4) in the VFL game – a performance which may have seen him return to the AFL - before breaking his ankle and ending his season early.

St Kilda has kept faith and re-signed Milera for 2 seasons.

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2013-08-08/watters-lauds-resigned-saints
“Obviously he (Milera) is coming off the ankle operation which brought his season to an end,” Watters said. “I’m really optimistic about the sort of pre-season he needs to do to elevate himself to spend a little bit more time through the midfield. Whilst he’s a 23 or 24-year-old, he’s still pretty young from a football maturity point of view. We think there is some good footy in front of Terry. He’s a South Australian boy so to lock him into the club was a really good thing for us.”

Milera certainly showed many times that he was a class above the VFL, but his inaccuracy in front of goal and tendency to try too much (in the more congested midfield situations) affected his ability to impact in the AFL. Hopefully his game will become more rounded as the club hopes, and his ankle doesn’t prevent him from having a strong pre-season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Terry Milera has quit St Kilda and returned to South Australia to be closer to family

• MATT TURNER
    • THE ADVERTISER
    • NOVEMBER 11, 2014 8:00PM
Terry Milera has quit St Kilda, returned to South Australia and all but ended his AFL career after his wife fell ill twice while they were living in Melbourne.

And he has no regrets about his decision.

829749-344f1df4-693e-11e4-a2ee-db0b93f02857.jpg

Terry Milera with his wife, Rachel. Picture: DAVE CRONIN

His wife Rachel had a serious illness last year and surgery for a collapsed lung in July.

“My partner fell crook over there a few times and we just wanted to be home, closer to our families, just for that bit of support,” Milera, 26, says.

“I just thought ‘is this worth it? Do we want to be living here without much support?’

“I know the AFL is a good opportunity.

“But my family means more to me than playing AFL.”

Milera, of Modbury North, asked for a trade to Port Adelaide or the Crows in September to be closer to family.

When one did not arise, he opted against completing the final year of his contract next season.

“It’s a decision I made and I knew there could be a chance I’m not going to get picked up.”

Milera, originally from Ceduna, says Rachel is “back on track and is happy and healthy” now they are back in SA.

The former Port Adelaide Magpie has not given up on a second crack at the AFL but he is coming to terms with the likely end of that chapter of his life.

He has been in talks with Norwood, Glenelg and North Adelaide in recent weeks.

“I’m only 26 so anything can happen and the SANFL has been a good breeding ground for mature-age recruits.

“I wouldn’t want to go interstate again so it’d need to be an Adelaide team that picked me.

“I’m so thankful to the Saints for giving me an opportunity.

“Some guys get drafted and don’t play a senior game. I was lucky enough to play 30.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back