Player Watch #26: Anthony Miles

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 8, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Spurs, 49ers, SF Giants, GS Warrio
Whilst Cotchin, Martin, Lids, Jack, Rance, etc get the lion share of coverage and plaudits from the media and fans, one player that I would hate for us to have to do without is Anthony Miles.

Week after week he goes about his job, executing his role with a minimum of fuss, often almost without being noticed. If he wasn't there I suspect we would know about it.

This year at the half way mark he features in the top 5 for the following statistical categories as shown in the article just released by the club (link below):-

* Kicks
* Handballs
* Total Disposals
* Contested Possessions
* Clearances
* Centre Clearances
* Stoppages
* Inside 50's
* Tackles
* Rebound 50's

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2015-06-15/martin-rules-stats-count

As noted in the article, only Dusty appears in more top 5's (12) with Cotch and Ellis both on 8

From the categories he shows up in, it demonstrates his benefit to the team in that he is in and under, works back (rebound 50's) and runs the lines (inside 50's).

Whether it was luck or good management that brought him to Tigerland, I am sure glad he is here.

Fantastic clearance player and suits our needs well, he is primarily a midfielder so he is always going to be high in those stats, now if only Dimma can realize he's too slow to rotate through the forward line...

Fantastic clearance player and suits our needs well, he is primarily a midfielder so he is always going to be high in those stats, now if only Dimma can realize he's too slow to rotate through the forward line...
Where else would you rather him?

Where else would you rather him?
At the bottom of clearances or resting on the pine. Leave our class (Lids/Titch/Cotch/Dusty) rotating through the forward line, Miles is far too slow to do any damage as a forward and his opp becomes a liability running the other way imo.

It's funny, every time there is a scrum formed on the ground and a bounce, you just know who is going to be at the bottom of it just about every time.
That's because he's not good enough to get it out, right sante? :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's so good. Maybe not quite at the level he was at last year, but boy he's good. Get's in and under, wins clearances, makes the right decisions. I still can't believe the club promoted Thomas ahead of him.

It's funny, every time there is a scrum formed on the ground and a bounce, you just know who is going to be at the bottom of it just about every time.

I knew a girl at Uni years ago who matches that description.

Miles has been an excellent get for the club. Would love for him to bulk up a little more given the role he plays.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back