Mega Thread Minnesota Timberwolves Thread - The Finch Era begins

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you really see him walking as a feasible option for us? I can see the logic somewhat; with him gone for nothing we've basically packed it in for the next 3-4 years, guaranteeing a few lottery picks and a genuine rebuild. Mediocrity is hell but can this organisation really afford to be winning 20 odd games a season?
the NBA never give you good picks anyways, better off trying (hopefully failing) to get wiggins and another young cavs player like bennett for Love

the NBA never give you good picks anyways, better off trying (hopefully failing) to get wiggins and another young cavs player like bennett for Love
Yeah, Wiggins is definitely the top priority. My question is though whether getting nothing for him is really a better option than getting some pieces that would be a ticket to a middle-of-the-road finish (eg. a Bennett, Thompson, Waiters deal; a Thompson, Lee, Barnes deal; a McDermott, Mirotic, Gibson deal).

My thinking is that we can't afford to go full-rebuild and need to bring some pieces back in return - even if it does give us a mediocre finish in the next season or two.

Yeah, Wiggins is definitely the top priority. My question is though whether getting nothing for him is really a better option than getting some pieces that would be a ticket to a middle-of-the-road finish (eg. a Bennett, Thompson, Waiters deal; a Thompson, Lee, Barnes deal; a McDermott, Mirotic, Gibson deal).

My thinking is that we can't afford to go full-rebuild and need to bring some pieces back in return - even if it does give us a mediocre finish in the next season or two.
I know you might see me as bias but Waiters is an elite talent. He is pretty much Kyrie's clone. He will leave the cavs and become an All Star in a few years, he would probably leave Twolves also so i don't know if you should target him.. he makes it clear on twitter he wants to play for philly :(

I think the Chicago deal is fair return for Love although I still don't believe Mirotic will be in it.

If we can't get a legit player back (and I guess Thompson counts for the purposes of the exercise) them trading for flotsam and jetsam just clogs your cap without improving your team. You "get something" but it has no value to the team. That's why I'd think letting walk for nothing is preferable to trading him for crap.

Minnesota's only chip with Love is his Bird Rights and I'd be damn sure his agent will want to preserve them. Will Love sacrifice 25m to sign with a team for cap space?

I think the Chicago deal is fair return for Love although I still don't believe Mirotic will be in it.

If we can't get a legit player back (and I guess Thompson counts for the purposes of the exercise) them trading for flotsam and jetsam just clogs your cap without improving your team. You "get something" but it has no value to the team. That's why I'd think letting walk for nothing is preferable to trading him for crap.

Minnesota's only chip with Love is his Bird Rights and I'd be damn sure his agent will want to preserve them. Will Love sacrifice 25m to sign with a team for cap space?

Love has talked a lot about being at a team capable of winning, so if we believe that then he should be pushing for the Cavs deal.

And agreed about Mirotic, I can't see him coming across to the Bulls and then they deal him before he kits up. If they swapped him out and put in Butler, making it a Butler, Gibson and McBuckets deal I'd be satisfied. Would have an interesting roster with capability at both ends, only lacking in maybe one more 3+D type on the wings, which ideally GR3 grows into.

If we are able to move JJ it's an okay move. Better at point than Barea.
Much better. Mo might have some tickets on him but he can score. Pass. Defend. HaHard to find a timberwolves player who can do those 3 things

Can Mo be included in the love trade or is that unlikely?
I rkn a trade will most likely be this:
Wolves: Wiggins, young, bennet
Cavs:Love, noel, Barea
Philly:Waiters, Martin, lucas,thomas and the other player cavs got from Utah.

Then cavs give a few draft pics here and there

If your Philly why do you do this? Lose stud prospect in Noel for Waiters and take on Martin's bad contract plus fillers?

waiters would be valued higher than a injury prone center and they get picks for the martin contract and cap space with the fillers
injury prone? When your knee buckles like that it isnt because of something prone to explode... hes had like one injury and looked a million bucks in summer league. With the question marks over his ability to develop an offensive game now answered. If I was philly I would trade mcw before noel

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Get in!!!

So pick 6 that has just missed a year with acl in one of the worst drafts ever is to be valued higher than a pick 4 who has proven to be a good player and performed a lot better when the number 1 guy. K den.

So pick 6 that has just missed a year with acl in one of the worst drafts ever is to be valued higher than a pick 4 who has proven to be a good player and performed a lot better when the number 1 guy. K den.

Of course.

Yes. I'ld take Noel over two Waiters

Lol
how did you guys pick the twolves as your team? I spent the first 4 years of my life in cleveland so it was a pretty easy choice.
There wasn't really any logic in my decision; my first real exposure to the NBA was playing one of the early 2K games with a mate. Timberwolves just appealed to me on first glance and I never really budged off it.

There wasn't really any logic in my decision; my first real exposure to the NBA was playing one of the early 2K games with a mate. Timberwolves just appealed to me on first glance and I never really budged off it.

Pretty much the same as me. Garnett was such a beast in those games, just destroyed everyone in the paint.

Any of you that read Canis Hoopus may find that the poster "Just a Fan" is one to pay attention to - he is a well connected, rarely posts but is usually both circumspect and on the money. This is his latest post.

Another six hour round, another day shooting the breeze on NBA basketball. Again, nothing too earth shattering but here goes.

The Cleveland – Twolves trade has been agreed to in principle by both parties. Wiggins/Bennett for Love as the keys. So the rumor mill should be pretty quiet. There is always the chance that someone does something completely foolish and makes a “Godfather” offer that the Twolves can’t refuse. But my friend says the odds on that are less that 0.1% Nearly every team with reasonable offers have already been talked to multiple times.

There was some internal debate on the Chicago inquiry. But contrary to several reports, Mirotic has not been in the discussions. That cooled the Twolves’ interests. If Mirotic ever came into discussions it could change the Twolves interest level. But it’s getting pretty late for that.

Internally, with the Cleveland deal, there is some optimism that the Twolves could restructure the roster in a way to be competitive for the last playoff spot in 2014-15. I am not sure I buy that – but maybe they could. That optimism is a big deal – ticket sales/renewals are WAY behind (certainly the Love uncertainty plays a huge role in that) and the Twolves need to sell something more than a re-re-rebuild. Plus a marketing plan around the #1 draft pick is very enticing. This is the really the root cause of the “rebuild without bottoming out” strategy – the Twolves really need to hang on to current sponsors and ticket buyers. Hope for the future doesn’t cut it anymore for the business side.

(By the way, expect Wiggins to have a couple of nice local endorsement deals with Fortune 500 type companies once he officially becomes a Twolve. Some nice work by the staff on exploring those.)

Both the Twolves and Cleveland have needs they would like to address by bring in a 3rd team to the trade.

Cleveland really wants to find a veteran 2 guard with excellent 3 point range to play 20 minutes per game. They are pretty frustrated that Ray Allen has not signed on (though in fairness – Cleveland really doesn’t have much to offer Ray in $$$ so I can see why Ray isn’t all that interested. At least yet)

The Twolves want someone to be able to play major minutes at the 4. Right now, post Love, they have no one they feel is capable of doing that.

So what will be in play is the Miami pick and a couple of Twolve expiring contracts (think redundant PG and Wings players). There are several teams in the bottoming out mode interested in that Miami pick and with cap space for the expiring contracts. (Not so much interest with the Grizzles pick that Cleveland also has)

There are lots of quiet talks going on toward a multi team trade. (Or concurrent trades). Seems there are more options than just the Philadelphia one that has received lots of press. (Sorry – no details).

Anyhow, that’s it for my “off season” discussions. I don’t expect paths to cross again until preseason starts. So I’ll be watching for info just like everyone else.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back