Teams Minnesota Vikings - Skol Vikings

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't wait to see him handle the Dangerous Receivers of the NFC North 6 times a year alongside Xavier Rhodes and Harrison Smith
tempwaynes-arrive-050215-1-ax050215--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg

Rhodes did well last year after what I thought was a bit of a slow start. With Rhodes, Barr, Smith and the 2 new additions our D should be able to handle Alot of what our opponents throw at up

The Vikings also picked up SS Antony Harris (Virginia) as an undrafted free agent. Harris was expected to go in the mid rounds, but lacks the bulk to play SS effectively. A year in the weights room and he could be yet another great pick for the Vikes.

How's our O line looking I forgot to keep an eye on it. Giving teddy more time in the pocket is a must for our offence

Here's the full list of drafttees, with a few notes curtesy of 1500espn

CB Trae Waynes, 11th overall

LB Eric Kendricks, 45th overall

DE Danielle Hunter, 88th overall
LSU. Hunter (6'5", 252 pounds) became a starter in 2013 for the Tigers, starting 23 straight games and leading the Tigers defense with 14 tackles for losses last season.
"We wanted to add a pass rusher and the unique makeup of Hunter," led to taking another defensive player with the team's third overall pick. It's the second-straight year the Vikings have taken a defensive end in the third round, drafting Oregon State's Scott Crichton with the 72nd overall pick last year.
Crichton struggled to crack the active roster as a rookie and the Vikings aren't putting any pressure on Hunter to contribute right away. The Vikings need a better defensive line rotation than they had last season. Hunter joins backup ends like Crichton, Justin Trattou and Caesar Rayford on the 90-man roster.
"He's raw. He's a project I know we're going to have to work with," Spielman said. "With coach Mike Zimmer, defensive coordinator George Edwards and defensive line coach Andre Patterson todevelop these kids, we feel Hunter has tremendous upside to grow as a football player."
Spielman called Hunter a 'physical specimen,' saying they measured him out with 35.5" arms, a 10'10" broad jump, "which is extremely unique for his size."

OT T.J. Clemmings, 110th overall
A two-year offensive starter, Clemmings (6'5", 309 pounds) started 13 games at right tackle for Pittsburgh as a senior and was named to the first-team All-ACC. He was voted as Pittsburgh's offensive captain last season. Clemmings was recruited as a defensive end, appearing in eight games in 2012 for Pittsburgh, starting six.
"What made me switch was I wasn't having the success that I wanted on defense," Clemmings said. "I just wanted another opportunity...I switched over and got coached up and it turned out pretty good for me."
Clemmings has a stress fracture in his foot. The Vikings discovered the injury at February's combine.
"We did a lot of calling on him, double checking and triple checking [on Saturday]," general manager Rick Spielman said. "He did not miss any practices during the year at Pitt. Did not miss any practices at the Senior Bowl. We're very excited that we were able to get a guy of that caliber of that talent in the fourth round.
"We beat up [athletic trainer] Eric Sugarman pretty good today. I said, 'Sugs, I know what you're telling me, but this guy hasn't missed any time' and he hasn't. He has played with it. This is not a new injury. We'll bring him in and let him start and compete."
"It's an old injury and an old issue," Clemmings said. "I've never had any problems. I have no concerns with it and I'm not worried about it."

TE MyCole Pruitt, 143rd overall
Pruitt (6'2", 251 pounds) posted a Southern Illinois record 81 catches in 2014, finishing with 861 yards and 13 touchdowns. He was a standout at February's NFL scouting combine, recording top marks at his position in the 40 (4.58), vertical (38"), 20-yard shuttle (4.37) and 60-yard shuttle (11.85).
The Vikings feel Pruitt is a Charles Clay-type player who can block as effecitvely as he can catch.
"A very athletic H-back, type fullback," general manager Rick Spielman said. "He has a lot of the unique traits we're looking for, especially in Norv Turner's offense on being able to do multiple things...Feel we can play him at a lot of different positions."

WR Stefon Diggs, 146th overall
Diggs (6'0", 195 pounds) was selected second-team All-Big Ten in 2014 with the Maryland Terrapins. He started 10 games before he was sidelined with a lacerated kidney. He led the Terrapins with 52 catches, 654 yards and five touchdowns last season.
Spielman said he first saw Diggs as a freshman returner in a game against Virginia.
"Another extremely talented athlete," Spielman said. "He has done some punt returns in the past. Very gifted athlete with the ball in his hands. He can do so many things: has played outside, in the slot.

OT Tyrus Thompson, 185th overall
Thompson (6'5", 324 pounds) was named to the All-Big 12 first team in 2014 after starting all 13 games at left tackle for the Sooners. He was a four-star recruit out of high school.Thompson played both left and right tackle for the Sooners, but insists he can play 'any spot but center.'

DE B.J. Dubose, 193rd overall
Dubose (6'4", 286 pounds) earned All-ACC honorable mention after starting 13 games as a redshirt senior for the Louisville Cardinals. He played both end and tackle in college. He was a three-star recruit out of Northeast High School in south Florida, ranking 24th in the nation among defensive end prospects by Rivals. As a teenager, Dubose said he participated in a 7-on-7 game with Bridgewater, also from a south Florida high school, and even caught some passes from him as a tight end.
Dubose's 26 bench reps of 225 pounds at the NFL scouting combine were some of the most among all DL prospects.

OG Austin Shepherd, 228th overall
Shepherd (6'4", 315 pounds) was a two-year starter at right tackle for Alabama before switching to guard in January's Senior Bowl. He was one of seven Crimson Tide players to earn a master's degree in 2014; he studied marketing. The Vikings spent three of 10 draft picks on offensive linemen, including Shepherd, Pittsburgh's T.J. Clemmings and Oklahoma's Tyrus Thompson. The Vikings now have 15 offensive linemen on the 90-man roster.
General manager Rick Spielman confirmed Shepherd will start off as a guard for the Vikings.

LB Edmond Robinson, 232nd overall
Robinson (6'3", 245 pounds) was named to the All-South Atlantic Conference first-team in 2013 as an outside linebacker for the Newberry Wolves, a Division-II program in South Carolina. Vikings tight end Brandon Bostick also went to Newberry, but was undrafted in 2012. Robinson is the first Newberry player drafted since 1974.

UDFA signings (preliminary, could be subject to change)

Taylor Heinicke, QB Old Dominion
Davaris Daniels, WR Notre Dame
Anthony Harris, S Virginia
Jordan Leslie, WR BYU
Justin Coleman, CB Tennessee
Tom Farniok, OL Iowa State
Gavin Lutman, WR Pittsburg State
Blake Renaud, FB Boise State
Bobby Vardaro OL Boston College
Jack Sherlock, DE/OLB South Dakota State

How's our O line looking I forgot to keep an eye on it. Giving teddy more time in the pocket is a must for our offence
The Vikings took three OL in the draft. If Clemmings lives up to pre-draft expectations he could be the steal of the draft IMO. You've also got to add the Polish guy (Babatunde Aiyegbusi) to the mix and take into account that 2nd year player David Yankey is expected to contribute this year.

You've also got to take into account the fact that Phil Loadholt (missed 5 games) and Brandon Fusco (missed 13 games) were both significant injuries last year.

Going into the draft last year I had similar questions about the DL and the unit was quickly transformed, so I'm reasonably confident that the Vikings OL will be back to form this season.

The Vikings took three OL in the draft. If Clemmings lives up to pre-draft expectations he could be the steal of the draft IMO. You've also got to add the Polish guy (Babatunde Aiyegbusi) to the mix and take into account that 2nd year player David Yankey is expected to contribute this year.

You've also got to take into account the fact that Phil Loadholt (missed 5 games) and Brandon Fusco (missed 13 games) were both significant injuries last year.

Going into the draft last year I had similar questions about the DL and the unit was quickly transformed, so I'm reasonably confident that the Vikings OL will be back to form this season.
Yea I saw we took a few but until you posted that write up I was unsure. Am exciting about clemmings for sure.

Hope to be in contention for play off's this season but I know progress may take some time so I'm just putting my trust in the admin

A quick look at a possible depth chart for the Vikings this year:

Position - Starter, Backup(s)
QB - Teddy Bridgewater, Shaun Hill.
Matt Cassel is gone, Shaun Hill is in, there is no need for a #3 QB
RB - Adrian Peterson, Jerick McKinnon, Matt Asiata.
Peterson is back, with McKinnon as his backup, Asiata for goal line duties?
FB - Zach Line.
Zach Line replaces Jerome Felton
TE - Kyle Rudolph, Rhett Ellison, MyCole Pruitt.
MyCole Pruitt replaces the unlucky Chase Ford
WR1 - Mike Wallace, Adam Thielen.
Free agent pickup Mike Wallace replaces Greg Jennings
WR2 - Charles Johnson, Cordarrelle Patterson.
Charles Johnson will look to solidify his starting position, Patterson will hope to get it back
WR3 - Jarius Wright, Stefon Diggs.
Stefon Diggs is the heir apparent to Jarius Wright in the slot
LT - Matt Kalil, T.J. Clemmings.
T.J. Clemmings is a pretty good insurance policy for Matt Kalil, who could be in his last year at the Vikes unless he improves
LG - Joe Berger, David Yankey.
Veteran Joe Berger probably gets the start at the moment with David Yankey looking to force his way into the starting rotation
OC - John Sullivan.
No change at Centre, although the Vikings will be looking for a backup if Berger starts at Left Guard
RG - Brandon Fusco, Austin Shepherd.
Fusco returns from injury and the Vikings will get a season of looking at Shepherd to see if he is starting material
RT - Phillip Loadholt, Tyrus Thompson.
Loadhold also comes off IR with rookie Thomson as his backup
RDE - Everson Griffen, Scott Crichton.
DT - Sharrif Floyd, Tom Johnson.
NT - Linval Joseph, Shamar Stephen.
LDE - Brian Robison, Danielle Hunter, B.J. Dubose.
Very little change on the DL rotations, with Danielle Hunter and B.J. Dubose added to the backup mix
SLB - Anthony Barr, Gerald Hodges.
No change from last year
MLB - Eric Kendricks, Audie Cole, Michael Mauti.
Eric Kendricks instantly moves Cole and Mauti into a battle for the backup role
WLB - Chad Greenway, Brandon Watts.
No change from last year
FS - Harrison Smith, Antone Exum.
The word coming out of Winter Park is that CB Antone Exum is being moved to FS to back up Harrison Smith
SS - Robert Blanton, Taylor Mays.
Taylor mays comes in to compete with Robert Blanton for the starting SS role
LCB - Xavier Rhodes, Marcus Sherels. RCB - Trae Waynes, Terence Newman.
NCB - Captain Munnerlyn, Josh Robinson.
The addition of Trae Waynes instantly upgrades the CB corps with Munnerlyn moving back to nickle duties
K - Blair Walsh.
LS - Kevin McDermott.
Kevin McDermott could replace Cullen Loeffler at Long Snapper
P - Jeff Locke.

The Minnesota Vikings have exercised the 5th-year options on LT Matt Kalil and S Harrison Smith. Kalil’s option amounts to $11.096 million, and Smith’s option is $5.278 million.

The Vikings picked up Kalil's option although he is on notice after a below par 2014 season. The decision on Smith was much easier and will likely translate into a longer term deal in the near future.

Both option amounts go straight onto the 2016 salary cap (just like the franchise tag).

Under the CBA rules, picking up a 5th year option still allows the team to apply the franchise tag in future years.

Here's the confirmed UDFA list for the Vikings:

S Anthony Harris, Virginia (6'1", 183 pounds) • Started 12 games as a team captain in 2014, selected third-team All-ACC for the Cavaliers. Didn't fully participate in NFL combine or UVA pro day because of a shoulder injury.

QB Taylor Heinicke, Old Dominion (6'1", 213 pounds) • Started 12 games at quarterback for ODU in 2014, honorable mention for Conference USA. Just 18th quarterback from Division I to throw for 10,000 yards and run for 1,000 yards.

WR Jordan Leslie, BYU (6'3", 215 pounds) • Caught 55 passes for 779 yards and six touchdowns in 13 games for BYU last season. Transferred from UTEP to BYU after earning an electrical engineering degree in 2013 at El Paso.

CB Justin Coleman, Tenneseee (5'11", 185 pounds) • Volunteers' primary nickel defensive back. Intercepted four passes in 12 starts last season. Deflected 13 passes in his final two college seasons.

WR DeVaris Daniels, Notre Dame (6'1", 201 pounds) • One of five Fighting Irish players suspended for the 2014 season during an inquiry into academic dishonesty. Chose the NFL Draft over returning to Notre Dame after totaling 80 catches, 1,235 yards and seven touchdowns in his first two college seasons.

C Tom Farniok, Iowa State(6'3", 301 pounds) • Cyclones co-captain who ended his career with 47 starts over four seasons, starting 12 games at center as a senior. Honorable mention All-Big 12 by conference coaches for third straight year.

WR Gavin Lutman, Pittsburg State (6'4", 201 pounds) • Eighth among all D-II receivers in 2014 with 1,196 yards on 70 catches in 13 games as a fifth-year senior.

FB Blake Renaud, Boise State (6'2", 225 pounds) • A linebacker in college, but worked out as a fullback at BSU's pro day and is listed so by the Vikings. Appeared in all 13 games, starting 10, for Boise State last season and finished with 6.5 tackles for losses as a senior.

G Bobby Vardaro, Boston College (6'5", 299 pounds) • Three-year starter at left guard who finished with 43 career starts. Part of a BC offense that produced more than 250 rushing yards per game, ranking 14th in the nation.

G Jesse Somsel, Saginaw Valley (6'4", 315 pounds) • Three-year starter at guard for Saginaw Valley. Put up 46 reps on the 225-pound bench press at his pro day.

Kalil's woes in 2014 may have been medically induced

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...s-regenexx-plasma-therapy-minnesota/70918658/

Vikings tackle Matt Kalil undergoes procedures beyond surgery to fix knees
Teddy Bridgewater's blind side protector has taken extra steps to get his knees healthy in hopes of returning to Pro Bowl form.
Minnesota Vikings left tackle Matt Kalil underwent arthroscopic surgery on both knees this offseason, as well as injections designed to help patients deal with joint pain, two people with knowledge of the procedures told USA TODAY Sports.
The people spoke on condition of anonymity because they weren't authorized to disclose medical details on behalf of Kalil, who had the 2016 option in his contract picked up Monday by the Vikings despite a frustrating 2014 season.
Kalil, 25, had both knees scoped in January by renowned orthopedist James Andrews, the people said. Then, in March, he traveled to New Jersey to undergo a Regenexx procedure, in which blood is removed, isolated, processed and re-injected into the patient's affected area.
Unlike the Regenokine procedures NBA star Kobe Bryant has undergone in Germany for years, Regenexx procedures can be performed in the U.S. under an exemption in the Food And Drug Administration's code of federal regulations, according to the company's website.
Regenexx touts the procedures as "the nation's most advanced non-surgical stem cell and blood platelet treatments for common injuries and degenerative joint conditions," though it's still a relatively new treatment.
As part of his follow-up, Kalil also underwent platelet-rich plasma therapy, which is growing in popularity among athletes for its apparent healing powers. He has rehabbed and worked out at the Vikings' facility and elsewhere throughout the offseason.
It all has Kalil and the team optimistic that the No. 4 overall pick from the 2012 draft may be in a better place mentally and physically than he has been in years. Still, it may not be clear what difference, if any, the approach has made until the regular season begins in September.
Kalil has never missed a start in three seasons. But after earning a Pro Bowl trip as a rookie, his play has slipped — a drop-off that coincided with swelling and inflammation in one of his knees during the 2013 season.
Arthroscopic surgery last year cost Kalil offseason practice time, which he admitted in December was a setback. The knee also continued to swell, exacerbating a trying season that spilled over Nov. 23 into a confrontation with a heckler in the TCF Bank Stadium parking lot.
Kalil had at least one knee injury in college and underwent surgery prior to joining the Vikings.
He is due a $3,085,989 base salary in 2015, the last fully guaranteed year on his rookie deal. His 2016 option is guaranteed for injury only until the start of the 2016 league year, when it would become fully guaranteed if Kalil is on the roster.
He was a liability on the offensive line in 2014, when Bridgewater took over at quarterback in the third game as a rookie. The Vikings finished 7-9.
But Kalil has the physical traits to play his crucial position well, as he showed while helping pave the way for Adrian Peterson's 2012 MVP season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Although it's not a big deal these days, the Vikings have announced their entire 2015 draft class has been signed.

The Vikings also waived five players to make room for their 10-man undrafted rookie class. Tackle Antonio Richardson, offensive lineman Austin Wentworth, tight end Ryan Otten, safety Ahmad Dixon and running back Henry Josey were released and are all subject to the NFL's waiver system for the next 24 hours.

The biggest news amongst that group is the release of Antonio Richardson who was injured, and required knee surgery, in his first season on the Vikings after being picked up as an UDFA and the release of Austin Wentworth. The Vikings are clearly heading in a different direction with 3 OL drafted in the recent draft.

Full team off-season training dates for the Vikings kick off in a week.

OTAs: May 26-28, June 2-4, June 8-11
Minicamp: June 16-18
It's interesting note that if Adrian Peterson misses just one day of OTAs he loses his $250k work out bonus, so Peterson has an important decision to make very soon.

Zimmer shows the Vikings aren't going to move from their current stance on Adrian Peterson.

"I'm not worried about it. I've got 89 guys out here I'm trying to coach and get better," Zimmer said. "He's really got two choices: He can play for us or not play. He's not going to play for anybody else and that's just the way it is."

I was listening to the Purple Podcast and Andrew Krammer and Judd Zulgad discussed Peterson's situation at length and made the following observations:

1. Peterson is now 30 years old, which is traditionally a worrying number for NFL running backs.
2. He hasn't played a down of football since the 1st season game last year
3. He has no guaranteed money left on his Contract and is Contracted to the Vikings for another 3 years
4. If the Vikings don't cut or trade him another option available to Peterson is to retire. In event he retires his Contract freezes and the Vikings would retain his rights if he decided to 'unretire". Peterson doesn't become a free agent if he retires. [this is what Zimmer is referring with his statement above]
5. Peterson can say all he likes about being disrespected by the team, but he was the one who beat his child with a branch.

Adrian Peterson: "The reason I'm not attending OTAs has nothing to do with wanting to be traded. It's about securing my future with the Vikings. It's business, not personal and I understand that firsthand. Go Vikings."

Just get it done, get onto this season.

Not good news for David Yankee with the report that T.J. Clemmings has slotted into the first team at right guard. As expected, Brandon Fusco moves to left guard.

If Clemmings ends up starting, from day 1, at right guard, I'm officially calling him the steal of the 2015 draft.

When the Vikings opened up this morning’s organized team activity to the media, we got our first look at the team’s revamped offensive line.
While right tackle Phil Loadholt was limited to individual drills as he works his way back from a torn pectoral, guard Brandon Fusco has recovered from his torn pectoral enough to line up with the first team.
And during this first week of OTAs, he has been lining up at a new spot.
Fusco was at left guard today, sandwiched between left tackle Matt Kalil and center John Sullivan. Rookie T.J. Clemmings was at Fusco’s old right guard spot next to Mike Harris, who is keeping the right tackle position warm for Loadholt.
So why was Fusco moved from right guard to left?
While conceding that playing Fusco next to Kalil should help out Kalil, head coach Mike Zimmer said the Vikings made the switch mostly for Clemmings, who played right tackle in college.
“It was really about putting him over there, putting Clemmings on the right side and making it easier for him as opposed to moving over to the other side,” Zimmer said. “We know that Fusco can always move back if we plug somebody else in at left guard.”
Zimmer said the plan for now is to keep Fusco at left guard and Clemmings, a fourth-round pick this spring, at right guard. But as Zimmer said, that is subject to change if the reconfigured line isn’t working out this spring.
“We want to leave guys alone,” he said. “We don’t want to move them all around all over the place. So we’re going to leave him there for right now.”

This peterson thing will eventually be blamed on his manager and all that crap

Yeah a lot of people already pointing to his agent for it going on like this, for this long. Maybe AP needs to do what JJ Watt did and look elsewhere.

Last edited:
I'm sure he has and wants to play for Dallas, but has absolutely no control over the situation. Read somewhere that Dallas has now cleared enough cap space to fit AP and tweeted they are willing to trade their first pick for next year for a proven star RB.
Tempting considering AP is a massive douchebag but I would be happier wearing my AP jersey whilst he and Teddy are ripping it up in the North.

Has been interesting watching the Vikes evolve since Frazier, I've been comparing them to the mighty Blues with Malthouse and I've gotta say, I'm quite impressed with Zimmer's efforts so far and how he's handled the new team, rookies, press and AP, and I can now see why Malthouse was never gonna work out.
Zim seems to demand respect and the players really respond well to him.
No molly coddling, no BS, happy to try players in alternate positions but not trying to completely change players.
Easy to be confident in what we are building at Minnesota.
Go Vikes!

Has been interesting watching the Vikes evolve since Frazier, I've been comparing them to the mighty Blues with Malthouse and I've gotta say, I'm quite impressed with Zimmer's efforts so far and how he's handled the new team, rookies, press and AP, and I can now see why Malthouse was never gonna work out.
Zim seems to demand respect and the players really respond well to him.
No molly coddling, no BS, happy to try players in alternate positions but not trying to completely change players.
Easy to be confident in what we are building at Minnesota.
Go Vikes!
Zimmer's defensive schemes are far more complex than anything that Frazier ever schemed up. Zimmer is only in his second season and it wouldn't surprise me if there were some well known names cut at the end of training camp as he continues filling the team with "his" guys.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back