Opinion Minson - Essential or Not Essential?

Remove this Banner Ad

I think this depends on whether we think Campbell can be No1 ruck because both Campbell and Minson cannot play in the same game as neither can impact up forward and we loose a running bench rotation if we have one on the bench. I have been disappointed with Campbell this year and equally with Minson so I am undecided but would lean to keeping Minson for 2015. He also needs a back up and this could be Cordy or Roughy.
Campbell can impact forward in the right forward setup. He is a good mark. But not as the primary target. Not at this stage anyway. Cordy is bloody tall and in the seconds has been a handful for most teams. Both get there hands to ball and bring the smaller brigade into the game. Both Cordy and Campbell can play first Ruck. Cordy in the one game prove it to me. For his size he is one of the most mobile talls playing this game. Has come on in leaps and bounds this year and will have an impact next. Minson with his limiting factors of not being able to mark anywhere on the field means he will struggle if these two are playing well. Hence off load now take a punt and get a good pick for another player.

Wait a sec, all I've been hearing is if we want to move up the ladder we should nothing and keep Will.

Yet we are short on at least 2 KPP back and forward, we lack players with pace skill and footy smarts, we butcher the ball when kicking it forward.

So how do we improve these areas?

Are Sam Reid and Lewis jetta gettable? Jaksch and O'rourke ? Maybe pick 1 or 2 so we can land Peter wright What about Mitch clark? If he's on the dees list and needs to be traded.

What are people willing to give up for them?

Here's just an example of how we can work it

Minson to the cats for pick 14
Pick 6 and 14 to swans
Reid and jetta to the dogs

Ok maybe a DP here and there, but this is the start of improving and filling the holes that we need

Minson had a down year because of his back injury, simple as that. He showed in 2013 that he plays well being the dominant ruckman in the team.

Hawkins had a similar niggle and had a down year for his standards in 2013 than bounced back well in 2014 when he was free of it.

He is not going anywhere and I really hope the talks of trading him go away as it would be madness.

I think it depends on two things:

1. What we can get for him
2. Who else we trade in

If we can get a high pick for Minson and also trade in a good KPP (either a KPF that can 2nd Ruck, or a KPD that allows Roughy to play forward and 2nd Ruck). Then I'd probably be OK with it. I reckon Campbell isn't far off it (as a ruck) and if he can be supported by Cordy, Roughy, new KPF, then we'd be OK. Probably want a mature back up ruck in the VFL just in case too. Realistically we are unlikely to be serious contenders for the next couple of years so Minson will be gone by then anyway. A bit like the Lake scenario really.

You gotta keep Minson. As already said it is a tough ask to be the sole ruckman week after week.
With Cordy and Campbell showing out in the VFL, one may make the next step to AFL. Neither has yet.

Minson has his deficiencies but he is our best option. All Australian last year. Can be again.
Also he is a terrific spokesperson for our club. His off field role is growing and he is second behind Murphy.

Finally I am very uncomfortable trading players unless they want out. Not the Bulldogs way.
Doesn't build loyalty and working for a common purpose if you ship off players.

Plus I like him!! :) Could be captain!

KM

I like him too.

Trade him for a gun FWD. Campbell or Cordy to take over ruck duties. We don't need Minson unfortunately. He's a good player, but he won't be around forever and we can get something for him.

Been saying it for ages, he needs to have a decent back up to relieve him.

Poor bloke looked absolutely buggered at times this year, he's got too much of a responsibility

He didn't have as good a year this year as he did in 2013 but we'd be mad to move him, he's still one of the best ruckmen in the league when in form

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't get the backup thing. There's no proof this was what affected Minnow this season. He had his best year ever as a solo ruck and has generally played well as a solo ruck. Don't buy it. Also there's other rucks that do fine as solo rucks, no reason why Minnow couldn't also.

Campbell is s**t up forward and Cordy isn't ready so we don't really have the option of playing a 2nd ruck anyway.

I feel his back really held him back this year as well as not adjusting to some minor rule changes (maybe none that were official). He'll be back to his best next year and is an essential player for us going forward.

Is there talk the sub rule might go at end of the year?

There was talk of dispensing with the sub but reducing the bench cap to 80, but that went quiet as quickly.

As for Will he's essential without a doubt, sure Cordy did well on Saturday from what I've heard but Port Melbourne ruckmen were nowhere near what an AFL team would offer (McEvoy will probably dominate him this week).

Don't get the backup thing. There's no proof this was what affected Minnow this season. He had his best year ever as a solo ruck and has generally played well as a solo ruck. Don't buy it. Also there's other rucks that do fine as solo rucks, no reason why Minnow couldn't also.

Campbell is s**t up forward and Cordy isn't ready so we don't really have the option of playing a 2nd ruck anyway.

I feel his back really held him back this year as well as not adjusting to some minor rule changes (maybe none that were official). He'll be back to his best next year and is an essential player for us going forward.

I think his back problems and no effective backup ruckman go together.
He was solo ruck last year but was in good shape, and had a stellar year.
This year he has a back niggle and probably needed some help, which really wasn't forthcoming.
If he gets himself right over the off season, he will be better in 2015.

I agree he is an essential.

KM

What has being dropped got to do with Minson believing someone is a threat?
Bleeding obvious if you have been dropped someone else is playing in your position - and it's time to watch your back

Things are looking ominous for the gargantuan teutophonic saxophonist rev-head sledger All-Australian.

What's his value? (An Essendon supporter said Carlisle for our first rounder and Minno)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back