Multiplat Mirror's Edge Catalyst

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep, as above, not worried at all.

DICE and EA both want this to be a successful series after all, the first title barely scratched through and we're really lucky to be getting anything at all.

The trailer said it all to me in how the game is going to be, not one bullet fired from Faith so I'd suspect there'll be minimal shooter elements to the game.

If they need to 'broaden' the game by adding some competitive MP or something, as long as it has zero impact on the SP, I don't care.

neade2wingard

Team Captain
Apr 7, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Did we watch the same trailer? Where is the parkour? You know, the core part of the game? The running, jumping, navigating the urban cityscape?

Now EA is making the same noises about 'accessibility' and 'broadening the audience' just like when they dumbed down Dead Space 3 (as the most recent example of their many flops over the last couple years) but sure, I'm overreacting. I dunno, I prefer to call it not running over the cliff with the rest of the lemmings.

Not trying to start a shitfight btw, I just really enjoyed Mirror's Edge as something different to all the generic games out there and I would be sad to see what made it so much fun being taken away. If the sequel turns out to be good, I'll be happy to eat my words. :)

Hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng (especially the bolded).

Like the mention of the 'online' capable part. PLEASE BE CO-OP!

Source: http://au.ign.com/articles/2013/08/22/the-new-mirrors-edge-only-possible-on-next-gen
Thankfully, the team at DICE are just as passionate about Mirror's Edge as the hardcore fans. “We've been working on ideas back and forth for the last 4-5 years,” EA Games Label EVP - and former DICE CEO - Patrick Soderlund tells me at Gamescom. “Some ideas we've gone longer on, some ideas we immediately said no to."

So what changed? “Sara Jansson, who is the executive producer on it now, came up with this idea, and she pitched the concept to me and Karl-Magnus, who is the GM at DICE, that we frankly couldn't resist,” he says. “We then tested it on Frank Gibeau, my boss, and other people inside the company, and everyone said 'yes, please bring this back'. That's all we need. At that time, you kind of forget about the P&L [profit and loss] paper exercise, and you look at it as - okay, we've got to make this game: for the sake of DICE, for the sake of the franchise, for the sake of EA, and for the sake of consumers.”

All he would confirm is that the idea was true to the original game's vision, with the same first person perspective and broadly speaking the same style of art direction, and that it “embraced the things that made Mirror's Edge great, and maybe removed some of the things that weren't so good.”

Combat? I ask. “Combat – as you saw in the trailer – is a big part of the game,” Soderlund replies, “but in a cool way. Maybe downplaying shooting more, looking at movement, looking at the things that were good with the game, but then there were other things that she brought in that I can't go into now... She pitched a game that I don't think can be built on a PlayStation 3 or an Xbox 360. The design of it and the online and technical capabilities of the game design makes it only possible on a gen 4 machine. That's exciting to me.”

Sep 17, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Baltimore Ravens
DICE are quickly becoming one of my favourite developers
Oh the irony of this post a year onwards.

mirroredge2eg14_610.jpg

Expecting more details at EA's conference. Still one of my most anticipated releases.

WANT.NOW!

I like that they're talking about the game being more open, having more routes of movement and such. Also a bigger focus on combat, which might not be the best thing, but if they integrate it in properly it could work well. Like that they mention about it being quick and 'moving on' rather than being any big combo system.

Sep 17, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Baltimore Ravens
mirrors-edge-catalyst.jpg

Hello everyone,

Two years ago we revealed that we were making a new Mirror’s Edge™. Last year, we gave you a behind the scenes look into some of the early progress we had made. And though we haven't said much else in all that time, we have been listening. Thank you for your incredible passion and your patience. I'm excited to tell you that it's paid off — by this time next week, you will have finally seen more of the game at E3.

Mirror’s Edge has always had a special place in the hearts of all of us at DICE. The first game had a lot of promise. It was unlike anything else in terms of the gameplay and style — it had a unique soul. But as much as we loved that game, we knew it could be more. So that’s what we have set out to do as we introduce Mirror’s Edge to a new generation.

The team has spent a lot of time re-evaluating every aspect of the game and making it a new experience. This is not a sequel, this is not Mirror's Edge 2. We have landed on a vision that honors the first game — pushing the boundaries of first person movement and diving deeper into the story behind our heroine Faith — but also brings a lot of great new, interesting gameplay and features to the experience for our players.

So on behalf on the entire team here at DICE, we can’t wait to show you what we have been pouring our heart and soul into. We can’t wait to introduce you to Mirror’s Edge™ Catalyst.

Sara Jansson
Senior Producer, Mirror’s Edge Catalyst

Dannnnnnnnnn Igloo E92_ If one of you guys could rename the thread that would be great :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 17, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Baltimore Ravens
I think it has a great chance to do good sales numbers with a Feb release.

People might have finished Fallout 4 by then and will probably be looking for a shiny new release. It won't have zombies, but Dying Light did very well by coming out on the cusp of Feb this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back