List Mgmt. Mitch Brown and Joel Hamling delisted with Hunt

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure what Stephen Wells saw in Brown or Hamling as juniors but they didn't fire a shot at the Cats and given both were first picks it's disappointing.

I guess they can be added to the Kane Tenace vault of drafting fails. Just confirms that recruiting can still be a bit of a finger in the air proposition.

To be fair on Brown ... if he had not had some pretty bad injuries in his first two or three years, then his development would be further ahead and maybe he would be a better player.

Hamling was only ever seen as a project player - thus a risk - they put there money in on him and lost it. Sometimes this happens.

To be fair on Brown ... if he had not had some pretty bad injuries in his first two or three years, then his development would be further ahead and maybe he would be a better player.

Hamling was only ever seen as a project player - thus a risk - they put there money in on him and lost it. Sometimes this happens.

I have one simple question about this. If Hamling was a project player, why were Murdoch and Kersten taken after him?

I have one simple question about this. If Hamling was a project player, why were Murdoch and Kersten taken after him?

Don't know - all I remember was seeing a photo of the draftees around an earth mover (or something along those lines) at Armstrong Creek and Hamling being deemed a project player by Wells or Balme in that article.

Maybe Hamling onwards were speculative? Murdoch had the speed, but perhaps lacking elsewhere (but then found to fit into the seniors), Kersten a small, power forward where they were not sure whether he would fit due to size and positions played.

All had attributes, with some sort of deficiency I'm guessing.

Murdoch looks to have stepped up, Kersten still a "maybe", Hamling a "not quite" (but may take him longer because he is classed as a tall).

Looking above these posts - speculation now that Hamling will be re-drafted/rookie listed ... re-drafting seems pointless (why delist in the first place? We had enough spots to go to the draft with??). Rookie listing may be an option and this might work out ok if he they saw a little of what they hoped for when they drafted him (based on the year he had).

Bigger projects? :cool:

GO Catters

You'd assume because either they believed he'd be gone by the next pick, or that he was a more important player than either of Kersten or Murdoch. Given that he's a tall, that makes sense.

Hey guys.
Sorry for intruding.
Only read a few of the posts here. You guys appear shocked that Mitch Brown and Hamling were delisted.
I am hoping dogs pick up one of them as a DFA, as we have next to none in KPP depth at either end of the ground.
Any reason why those guys didn't make it? I would like Mitch Brown as a DFA as a preference.
thoughts?

Hey guys.
Sorry for intruding.
Only read a few of the posts here. You guys appear shocked that Mitch Brown and Hamling were delisted.
I am hoping dogs pick up one of them as a DFA, as we have next to none in KPP depth at either end of the ground.
Any reason why those guys didn't make it? I would like Mitch Brown as a DFA as a preference.
thoughts?
Brown could basically never, ever put on any weight. Talented, but massively injury prone with shoulders that pop like firecrackers. Never managed to find any confidence at AFL level after ripping it up in the VFL (we're talking 9-goal hauls in the VFL) and too easily shoved around by larger opponents. So, has talent, needs to live in a gym and get some confidence.

Hey guys.
Sorry for intruding.
thoughts?

Most people were happy to see Brown go, or at least expected it. He's a decent prospect with nice skills, but i just don't think he'll ever be a KPP. He's better used in a third tall role. Could be worth a gamble in defence, but I think you'd be better served by filling that need in the draft.

If that is the case with Mitch brown then I hope dogs pass as we don't want another KPP player as we just got rid of one in Tom Williams.
Hamling sounds like a good prospect then. We have took for 1 delisted free agent.
Thanks for all the info guys. Appreciate it

If that is the case with Mitch brown then I hope dogs pass as we don't want another KPP player as we just got rid of one in Tom Williams.
Hamling sounds like a good prospect then. We have took for 1 delisted free agent.

You may also want the real world, planet Earth stats on Joel Hamling too for the sake of completeness:

- 3 years on the senior list
- 0 senior games. None. All those awesome attributes listed are entirely at VFL level.
- No major injuries.

I'm sure he'll still be a star.

Gee the Dogs recruiters have gotten cunning these days

You may also want the real world, planet Earth stats on Joel Hamling too for the sake of completeness:

- 3 years on the senior list
- 0 senior games. None. All those awesome attributes listed are entirely at VFL level.
- No major injuries.

I'm sure he'll still be a star.
Good to have a bigger picture.
VFL level to AFL level is a big gap.
one of our players in Markovic was a gun FB in VFL, but got owned in AFL level. Players kicking bags of 10 on him.
Brett Goodes. Great VFL player, struggled to take next step in AFL.

Next time can you guys delist Walker? :p I been wanting him all year. Was one of my main players I wanted dogs to target.

Gee the Dogs recruiters have gotten cunning these days
I am happy with the dogs recruiting. Don't want to derail the thread though.
But happy with picking up T.Boyd, even though we lost Grif, Jones, Higgins, Cooney and Tutt.

Think cats did well with Stanley and Clark. Atleast if Clark isn't up to it, Stanley will atleast at worst, play as a foil to Tomahawk.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

many on here wanted him gone as well but he seems to have taken his chances. Still a lot of improvement needed but looks like he could become something. Strong lad, terrific overhead and his kicking is slowly but surely getting there.
I thought he would succeed as a focal point at another club. I didn't think he worked well with Tomahawk. He showed good signs in finals. But they both the big gorilla forwards. Mitch Clark and Stanley are the kind of player you want next to Tomahawk. Agile quick talls, who require a good defender, so you can leave Tomahawk one out

Can anyone name one player Geelong have delisted who has come back to burn us later on? Just one.
It just doesn't happen. All of the delistings are spot on.
Ill go one better than that. Name a geelong player other than Ablett in the last decade who have left geelong, and done well.
Dogs fans know, as we always take geelong discards. That's y I am expecting to take a geelong discard.
Here are a couple we have picked up from geelong:
Timmy Callan, Peter Street (who was a fan favourite by the way). Brent Prismal in our VFL side.

Only successful player we got from you guys was Matty Robbins

Can anyone name one player Geelong have delisted who has come back to burn us later on? Just one.
It just doesn't happen. All of the delistings are spot on.
Carazzo…. Maxwell….:D

Scott Thompson… I get your point but we have had some go that have gone on…..

Go Catters

It is curious. There was a pick between the Hamling/Kersten sandwich (another WAFL prospect by the name of Brad Hill) and, while Kersten and Murdoch were immediately touted as absolute steals for the reigning premiers, Kersten as a potential top 20 prospect, Hamling barely raised a ripple of excitement. So, unless Geelong was worried about Hawthorn taking Hamling more than it was about Hawthorn taking Kersten, it seems strange that the Cats chose Hamling first.

Ill go one better than that. Name a geelong player other than Ablett in the last decade who have left geelong, and done well.
Dogs fans know, as we always take geelong discards. That's y I am expecting to take a geelong discard.
Timmy Callan, Peter Street (who was a fan favourite by the way). Brent Prismal in our VFL side.

Simpkin won a premiership with Hawthorn. If we expand it to 'Geelong got a pretty token draft pick and would almost certainly have delisted the same player otherwise', then you can add Steven King, Paul Chapman, James Podsiadly and Trent West. If we expand it further still to 'players that the Cats wanted to keep', you can include Mumford and Gary Ablett.

Carazzo…. Maxwell….:D

Scott Thompson… I get your point but we have had some go that have gone on…..

Go Catters

Maxwell was a St Joeys kid,not a GFC player
Thompson was VFL listed
Carazzo was stiff in breaking his arm in the first VFL final in 2002,otherwise he might been a VFL premiership player alongside Johnson,Jr,Bartel & co.

Maxwell was a St Joeys kid,not a GFC player
Thompson was VFL listed
Carazzo was stiff in breaking his arm in the first VFL final in 2002,otherwise he might been a VFL premiership player alongside Johnson,Jr,Bartel & co.

and im out.

Go Catters

It is curious. There was a pick between the Hamling/Kersten sandwich (another WAFL prospect by the name of Brad Hill) and, while Kersten and Murdoch were immediately touted as absolute steals for the reigning premiers, Kersten as a potential top 20 prospect, Hamling barely raised a ripple of excitement. So, unless Geelong was worried about Hawthorn taking Hamling more than it was about Hawthorn taking Kersten, it seems strange that the Cats chose Hamling first.

Especially with how they've treated the development of those players since. Kersten was discussed by Scott a few times last year as being very close to selection, and was rushed in this year as soon as he was back from injury. Murdoch has been smashed into the team with a piledriver and left there irrespective of form. So if Hamling was really the important player of the trio, his development and selection sure didn't reflect it.

Nathan Djerrkura, Brodie Moles.

Kersten was discussed by Scott a few times last year as being very close to selection, and was rushed in this year as soon as he was back from injury.

Played three VFL games and kind of demanded a spot in the team after a 6 goal, 8 marks, 5 tackle performance against Coburg.

Rushed back would be what happened to Billie Smedts who had a leg fracture, missed months of conditioning, did not play a single VFL game and was brought in to face Sydney at the SCG on a Friday night.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back