Past Mitch Clark #2 (2006-2011)

Remove this Banner Ad

Has he failed if he becomes an expensive decoy, kicking maybe 40 goals a year but freeing up our more talented forwards like Watts, Jurrah, Howe, Petterd Sylvia etc?

I don't think anyone at the club wants him to be a decoy, but I'm sure you've got a direct quote or something.

I know we want him in the forward line for our structure - and I agree, on past performance I'm pretty skeptical as to whether he can really be a good full forward or CHF - but nobody has said we want him just as a decoy.

You were the one who suggested it.

I would imagine the club won't be setting the bar so low, that Clark not being better than Watts, Jurrah, Howe, Pettered Sylvia, etc would still be considered a win.

To pay such a hefty price to get Clark, you'd think the hope is that he will surpass all of those players.

I recently read a comment from Geoff Raines:

Money clearly played a part. Collingwood offered both more than Richmond, but Raines and Cloke have a similar story in that neither really wanted out, and each was upset that less seasoned teammates, including prized interstate recruit Maurice Rioli, were getting significantly more dollars than they were.

I think this is something that the Brisbane Lions tried to avoid, having recently learnt our lesson the hard way. I think it would be naive to believe that the Melbourne players didn't think about whether it's fair that Clark has been paid all this money and put in the leadership group despite never having played with them and not being that great a player.

You were the one who suggested it.

Do you think I work at the club? I have never claimed to.

I would imagine the club won't be setting the bar so low, that Clark not being better than Watts, Jurrah, Howe, Pettered Sylvia, etc would still be considered a win.

To pay such a hefty price to get Clark, you'd think the hope is that he will surpass all of those players.

I agree.

I recently read a comment from Geoff Raines:

I think this is something that the Brisbane Lions tried to avoid, having recently learnt our lesson the hard way. I think it would be naive to believe that the Melbourne players didn't think about whether it's fair that Clark has been paid all this money and put in the leadership group despite never having played with them and not being that great a player.

Very different situation back then though, similar to Len Thompson leading the charge for professional rates of pay.

Still, it'd be strange if none of the players felt at least a bit dark that a new guy was making more than everyone. But when Davey and Green are our highest paid players - clearly the list we have isn't living up to their pay anyway.

Spot on. It's the lack of effort and performance(on-field) that has been a problem.

Yep had a chuckle when I heard this grab on SEN Monday afternoon...went along these lines.... Neeld at Melbournes Community Camp, introduced the new recruits to the Wonthaggi/Phillip Island locals....When introducing Mitch Clark, Neeld said...
" He'd better perform he's, in the leadership group and one of the highest paid players at the club".

:p

That's the impression I get too.

These seems eerily similar to Melbourne trading TJ to Brisbane for pick 14 (Jack Grimes)

Matthew Leuenberger

"It's been a couple of months since he has been gone - the group has moved on without him, found new leaders to replace him," he said toay. "But I am sure when we get out there a few boys will take it a bit differently - whatever happens, happens."
"You hear different things about how they are thinking about using him," he said.
"The last I read he was going to be used as a key forward but I wouldn't be surprised if he got in the ruck for a little bit.
"I know his game but he would know mine as well - it would be a good hitout if we came up against each other."

Re: Matthew 'Goose' Maguire

he was too intent on wrestling direct opponent Matt Maguire than finding space in the Melbourne forward line.

That seems a bit unusual...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re: Matthew 'Goose' Maguire

Because history shows Clark is a forward who likes to find space...

Greg Davis is just telling his audience what they wan to hear - Freo & Lions fans are better off withouy Clark:D

Nah, seriously, well played Goose, which is what Mitch is. No loss.

this Mitch Clark guy is a fairy type of player
have a look at his numbers playing top 4 teams
CANCER comes to mind when describing him

51645_18_1.jpg

Memories of Rd. 1 2012.

One thing for sure, we eventually taught him how to kick for goal. Used to be hopeless and now he is a good kick for goal....assuming of course that he can get ball in hand.

I am surprised to see that some Melbourne supporters think that Clark's game (which was improved immeasurably by his two cheap goals during junk time) was one of the few positives for them.

Surely it won't take them long to get sick of the useless jumping and futile attempts to provide an option up forward.

I am still disappointed that Clark did not go on with his 2009 form, however, I'm more than happy to see him fail at Melbourne, given his lack of effort with the Lions over the last two years.

better go see grandma next weekend Mitch
you dirty money hungry pig

I'm going to on this pricks case for the rest of his s**t football life

If Mitch flicks the switch and consistently plays to his potential he will be worth every penny.

Definitely. My feeling is that he could only manage this in the ruck or possibly as a CHF who works up the ground.

Here's to hoping that it doesn't happen though, as it would be too painful for people like myself who had M.Clark amongst their favourite players for many years!

It's only been through reading this thread that I noticed Clark has been included in the Melbourne leadership team!

Did they not see how poorly Clark performed in this role at the Lions?

It's also interesting, given that one Melbourne official that I know personally, mentioned to me at the end of season 2011 that he regarded Clark as being "very troubled off the field" (prior to Neeld being appointed and the club recruiting Clark). Now maybe he was just trying to hose down any hint of Melbourne having an interest in Clark prior to Melbourne making a sneaky bid to secure him, but at the same time the sentiments of Clark being "very troubled" rang quite true for many reasons. Obviously these reasons were overlooked when choosing the leadership group at Melbourne, however...

My guess is that it won't be long until Clark is regarded in a similar manner to how Davey and Green are currently regarded by a lot of Melbourne supporters.

The question is, by the end of his career, will there ever be a better candidate for the term "Shark Jumper" than Mitch Clark? :p

Interesting to see leah matthews discretly slam clark on gameday today

When asked about clark and his demons trade

"He has always been a very average forward"
"Not a 700k a year player"
"The lions will get more out of the hudson trade and save 500k a year in the mean time"

Interesting to see leah matthews discretly slam clark on gameday today

When asked about clark and his demons trade

"He has always been a very average forward"
"Not a 700k a year player"
"The lions will get more out of the hudson trade and save 500k a year in the mean time"

loved it , hope all Melbourne people take notice

Remove this Banner Ad

Back