Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
http://m.afl.com.au/news/2014-09-07/clark-may-return-to-footy

Didn't really read it so I'm not sure if there is anything useful but it looks as if he will try and play elsewhere

Also re: pp I don't think we are getting one

If we get chip compo I can't see the afl allowing us 3 of the first 4 picks

Even though it had no trouble giving GWS the first 15

Last edited by a moderator:

At this point in time, Barrett is the only one claiming its not MFC

Cant resist one last pop at melbourne for the year

Very optimistic to think that this will be the last one. The silly season is yet to come. #scattergun

I'll reserve judgement on the whole Clark thing until we get word from him, as opposed to Barrett's take on a short statement from his manager.

There's too many questions at the moment:
  • Has Mitch ruled out a comeback for Melbourne?
  • Has Melbourne ruled out Mitch making a comeback for us and would prefer to trade him - i.e. we've moved on?
  • Is Barrett's call that it will be for anyone but Melbourne just a load of BS? His reasoning for why it wouldn't be with us isn't exactly sound.
One thing I do know is that, if we try to engineer a trade, is that we won't get anywhere near his true value in return if he was fit and firing and came with no residual risk. It's a high risk /high reward proposition for any club taking him on, and as such if we got anything better than a late 2nd round/early 3rd round pick I would be highly surprised.

I'm sorry but if Mitch Clark comes back to play for another AFL club then he can GAGF, he wanted the money and made the commitment to the club by signing a long term contract.
The AFL really needs to look into this because it shouldnt be happening.

Yeah, reading the article I think the headline is rather unjustified. No quotes from either Mitch or his manager intoning that they are looking to play elsewhere. 'Put his hand to up to play again' is the closest quoted remark (or something like that), so I wouldn't be surprised if this is just a media beatup.

Just reading the the AFL.com piece on Mitch Clark - i'd be extremely ****ed off if he goes to another club. Not having a FF all year made us as bad as we were.

I understand Roos has said he doesn't like drafting talls early in the draft and favours midfield depth but I can't help but think a McCartin full forward and Hogan centre half forward longterm combination is appealing. If you guys keep pick 2 and StK pick Petracca I think you should get McCartin over Brayshaw who is a bit of a vanilla midfielder. I doubt it happens though.

This is why I hate the footy media. Mitch's name is now being dragged through the mud without him ever having said anything about playing for a team other than the Dees.

I understand Roos has said he doesn't like drafting talls early in the draft and favours midfield depth but I can't help but think a McCartin full forward and Hogan centre half forward longterm combination is appealing.
Certainly has potential, but so does a Petracca/Brayshaw, Tyson, Viney, Salem, Toumpas, Trengove, N Jones, Michie, Riley, JKH and Watts midfield rotation. At the moment only two of those players (Tyson and Viney) have shown real star-quality signs of late, so adding another gun is really important. There are a few quality KPFs in the second/third round at any rate, so if we want another we can look there.

This is why I hate the footy media. Mitch's name is now being dragged through the mud without him ever having said anything about playing for a team other than the Dees.

Easy fix for that - if he plays again, he plays for us. We'll wait and see. I wouldn't worry about his name though - for the right price, he's proved he doesn't mind a little bid of mud on the reputation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Easy fix for that - if he plays again, he plays for us. We'll wait and see. I wouldn't worry about his name though - for the right price, he's proved he doesn't mind a little bid of mud on the reputation.
More so than Mitch it's a bad reflection on the vulture-like attitude fans have. Kick 'em when they're down.

Don't buy this anger at Clark if he plays elsewhere.

Can totally understand if he associates MFC with a pretty dark time in his life, and even if he came back playing at peanuts, would probably still feel the weight of built-up expectation/pressure on him to perform (which had such an effect on him previously). Let him go to the Doggies/Saints and play for nothing with zero expectation. If he came back to us, did a hammy early on and was suddenly on the verge of another breakdown, what then?

Just want him to be playing decent footy again.

More so than Mitch it's a bad reflection on the vulture-like attitude fans have. Kick 'em when they're down.

Dunno, fans have always been a pretty scathing bunch. With social media and message boards there are just more platforms for people to get their opinion out there. The decline of the media from reporting on events to trashy opinion click-bait pieces is the key factor to me.

Well Boys do we think we can scrape a top 20 pick together for Clark?

Wonder if freo would consider their first or if the saints or dogs would offer there second
he's played 15 games over the last 3 seasons, no one is giving anything near a top 20 pick.

Sorry to jump in but from an outsider's perspective assuming that Clark does indeed come back to the AFL and is unwilling to play for the Demons then you absolutely should be receiving some sort of compensation given the extenuating circumstances of his absence from the game. Especially the case if he goes to another Melbourne club.

Remember all of this talk is coming from Barrett so I wouldn't jump the gun yet.

Even though he may be a flog he gets a lot of this stuff right , not gonna go out and start believing until something concrete happens , just gauging what sort of value we might get if it happens

Well Boys do we think we can scrape a top 20 pick together for Clark?

Wonder if freo would consider their first or if the saints or dogs would offer there second

Problem is, he's probably going to nominate a club of choice, and they'll pretty much have us over a barrel.

Even though he may be a flog he gets a lot of this stuff right , not gonna go out and start believing until something concrete happens , just gauging what sort of value we might get if it happens

Sadly, I think Garry Lyon gives him very good mail as to exactly what is going on at Melbourne.

What I mean was, he didn't have anything to say that Clark won't play for Melbourne but he just put his own spin on a comment.

Yeah an early second rounder is what I want so his true market value would probably be about 40 now

True that it never says anywhere that he has dismissed playing for us ever again
Also Paul Roos might able to work some magic and convince to play for us

Or he might come out in a week and retire again ... I just want the saga to be ******* done really

Remove this Banner Ad

Back