Mitch Clark Return..

Remove this Banner Ad

No way would we consider him.

He screwed us over and when you waste peoples time they won't let their time be wasted again.

MASSIVE do not want.

All the best to him, but I don't foresee it will be in purple.

Based on what?

Don't know much about his issues but i would think that selling your house in Melbourne is telling. If he "found" the "black dog" somewhere in Melbourne i would think it would rule out any sensible person sending him back there. Just saying he's nuts (crazy is just bit OTT given the context) if he goes back to melbourne.

In the us to take him senario. I'm still firmly in the camp of changing 5-6 players end of the year. Would I trade an Ibbo/Suban/etc type for a mid to early 2nd round draft pick so that we can; draft 1 in round 1, draft 2 in round 2, leave round 3 selection for the PSD, round 4 promote a rookie and take Mitch Clarke in the PSD? In a heart beat.

Lets be honest, he's cheaper than a FA and when fit is the best of the KPP's available and that includes Frawley.
I wouldn't trade ibbo he's great for freo

We have recently met with him so we haven't slammed the door in his face.
If you take the emotion out of it, Mitch in for Gumbleton out is not awful.

A few posts ago someone has mentioned that we haven't met with him. How would you know? Or how would the other poster know? One of you is therefore wrong.

He was wearing Fremantle gear for crying out load and left for more money! He wasted precious time at the draft. Don't think some realise how futures are made and loss during this time and he just ate all of it up and jumped last second.

You don't just leave emotion out of it. You're a better man then me if you can, as a supporter you maybe can but those running the club... my golly they'd have very thick skin.

If Fremantle staff are more forgiving it would be because he will take minimum salary and have a number of clauses in his contract.

Based on what?

Human principals. Peoples virtues.

Don't know many industries where a potential employee could waste so much of the employers time only to jump ship for coin at the last minute despite publicly stating your intention to be employed at a certain organisation.

As I said maybe I'm a different type of person, but I wouldn't be as forgiving and would wish him the best elsewhere.

It's easy for supporters to just go 'He'd be an upgrade etc'. Personally I'd rather sign Keplar for another season for what he brings to the club.

Mitch Clarke smacks of selfishness and although I'm very aware of the impact of mental illnesses, that doesn't mean we need to forget and forgive and seek.

He can rebuild his career elsewhere.

A few posts ago someone has mentioned that we haven't met with him. How would you know? Or how would the other poster know? One of you is therefore wrong.

He was wearing Fremantle gear for crying out load and left for more money! He wasted precious time at the draft. Don't think some realise how futures are made and loss during this time and he just ate all of it up and jumped last second.

You don't just leave emotion out of it. You're a better man then me if you can, as a supporter you maybe can but those running the club... my golly they'd have very thick skin.

If Fremantle staff are more forgiving it would be because he will take minimum salary and have a number of clauses in his contract.

He has met with West Coast also.
Scott Gumbleton is desperately unlucky and seems the end in AFL is near . Mitch Clark on the rookie list is no worse for us, than Gumby remaining is.
Take the emotion out of it and it seems attractive.

For the most part I agree with all this. What Mitch Clark did was hard to forgive.

But if he were to sign with the club, and make the appropriate noises, while still sounding respectful of the Melbourne Football Club, I would welcome him as a player for the Fremantle Football Club. And if he got a game, and kept his place, even better.

Lastly he was incredibly injury prone. Anyone who says yeah but his body is right again is kidding themselves because he hasn't done anything since he retired. What kind of strain is a preseason going to do to him, a sprained ankle? a hammy?

Why would we take that on? Plus what happens when it gets tough again either through injury, form or anything outside of football we ain't privy too?

It's too far in the big risk basket even if you take the fact he screwed us over out of it.

Just listening to 3AW and McClure spoke to Mitch's manager today.

Mitch is back in Melbourne at the moment having spent 6 weeks in Perth. Has sold his Melbourne home and done some work as a tradie. Has been doing daily boxing workouts with a trainer for the last 8 weeks to build up his fitness. Hasn't touched a footy since he left Melbourne. Mitch apparently is feeling much better and has improved a lot.

Mitch and his manager will be sitting down in 10 days to map out a plan. As pointed out by 3AW, that he still has a manager for his footy is telling and they believe he may be playing next year.

Neither Fremantle or West Coast have contacted his manager but some other clubs have,.

Fred Ziffel. This was a post on this current page.

So how do you know? This is off the radio, so someone is lying.

Lastly he was incredibly injury prone. Anyone who says yeah but his body is right again is kidding themselves because he hasn't done anything since he retired. What kind of strain is a preseason going to do to him, a sprained ankle? a hammy?

Why would we take that on? Plus what happens when it gets tough again either through injury, form or anything outside of football we ain't privy too?

It's too far in the big risk basket even if you take the fact he screwed us over out of it.

It's about the same risk as Gumbleton. For a while in the preseason it looked like a good risk. Didn't turn out that way. The upside is greater than for Gumbleton's exposed form too.

If he has a big salary, or takes a list position other than rookie or late draft pick, I agree.

Now that is a fairly balanced reasoning and if that is your basis for ruling him out, then fair enough.
The injury risk is there for every player though and clubs make those calls.
As a rookie list player though it mitigates the cost.
If he breaks down, we haven't lost much but gave ourselves every chance of landing a very capable big man.
If we don't secure him then we haven't given ourselves any chance, have we ?

He took the easy way out, that's all. Quite a few people are known to do that. The deal with Melbourne and Brisbane was acceptable to both clubs and Freo were not even in the ballpark with what we were prepared to offer in comparison . He wanted out of Brisbane, got a huge pay offer from Melbourne and we got Sheridan and Crozier.

Now that is a fairly balanced reasoning and if that is your basis for ruling him out, then fair enough.
The injury risk is there for every player though and clubs make those calls.
As a rookie list player though it mitigates the cost.
If he breaks down, we haven't lost much but gave ourselves every chance of landing a very capable big man.
If we don't secure him then we haven't given ourselves any chance, have we ?

We'd have given up a spot on another young player who could well be worth the risk. We could potentially be impacting on Apeness or Taberners development. He could possibly have a negative attitude on the playing group.

I'd only be risking him in our squad if he was cherry ripe and was go to go from now. That won't be the case, so for me it's just no.

I'm sorry but he had an injury and retired. Four months later he's having a look at it? He QUIT.

Only quitters quit!

Just listening to 3AW and McClure spoke to Mitch's manager today.

Mitch is back in Melbourne at the moment having spent 6 weeks in Perth. Has sold his Melbourne home and done some work as a tradie. Has been doing daily boxing workouts with a trainer for the last 8 weeks to build up his fitness. Hasn't touched a footy since he left Melbourne. Mitch apparently is feeling much better and has improved a lot.

Mitch and his manager will be sitting down in 10 days to map out a plan. As pointed out by 3AW, that he still has a manager for his footy is telling and they believe he may be playing next year.

Neither Fremantle or West Coast have contacted his manager but some other clubs have,.
Fred Ziffel. This was a post on this current page.

So how do you know? This is off the radio, so someone is lying.

That is a statement, neither Fremantle or West Coast have contacted his manager.
That is not say we haven't met with him. Whether we contacted his manager is not the point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How do you know this?

Presumably he'd get dropped?

If he costs us nothing, where is our risk?

Human principals. Peoples virtues.

Don't know many industries where a potential employee could waste so much of the employers time only to jump ship for coin at the last minute despite publicly stating your intention to be employed at a certain organisation.

As I said maybe I'm a different type of person, but I wouldn't be as forgiving and would wish him the best elsewhere.

It's easy for supporters to just go 'He'd be an upgrade etc'. Personally I'd rather sign Keplar for another season for what he brings to the club.

Mitch Clarke smacks of selfishness and although I'm very aware of the impact of mental illnesses, that doesn't mean we need to forget and forgive and seek.

He can rebuild his career elsewhere.

"Quite right Cobbler"

He walked out on the LIONS when he was touted as a future Captain - He picked Melbourne as his Cash Cow of choice, after all but announcing he was coming home to WA or should I say he picked the top $$$$$$$ and unfortunately he got injured (I don't wish that on anyone) - Could this unfortunate occurrence be seen as karma in this case for leading us all up the garden path as a wanted commodity - Time has now passed him by, IMO, there are many far more deserving loyal to be young blokes without baggage, that Ross and the coaching team could invigorate to be able to slot into our ever evolving Dockers outfit, this would then re-enforce and dictate to all, that the footballer's required or selected to represent our club, the requirement is simple - That to play with our team it is now a privilege not a right because you are Westy, we are at last the other WA AFL team, who now and for ever more will feared not smeared by our peers and their supporters.

We'd have given up a spot on another young player who could well be worth the risk. We could potentially be impacting on Apeness or Taberners development. He could possibly have a negative attitude on the playing group.

I'd only be risking him in our squad if he was cherry ripe and was go to go from now. That won't be the case, so for me it's just no.

I'm sorry but he had an injury and retired. Four months later he's having a look at it? He QUIT.

Only quitters quit!

But this is the entire point. You don't get worthwhile key big men in that condition for next to nothing. On a cost / benefit basis, it is a reasonable gamble.

By the way , we just took that precise risk on Scott Gumbleton and it didn't work out. But we tried.
We could do the same thing with Mitch.
Fremantle still needs that KPF for the next few years while Apeness and Taberner develop further.

Last edited:
How do you know this?

Have you seen the interview? He states he has being doing SFA just to get away from it all. Watch the interview and even look at his face. I'd be amazed if he hasn't stacked on 10kgs just in his face! Easy enough to lose for a professional and I'd imagine wouldn't take much to get back into shape... but that's how I know, because he said it and I saw it.

But this is the entire point. You don't get worthwhile key big men in that condition for next to nothing. On a cost / benefit basis, it is a reasonable gamble.

By the way , we just took that precise risk on Scott Gumbleton and it didn't work out. But we tried.
We could do the same thing with Mitch.
Fremantle still needs that KPF for the next few years while Apeness and Taberner develop further.

I'd rather gamble on a draft pick or source a big man like Shaun McKernan, Griffiths, Casboult any other stiff then this guy. So that's the risk we take by gambling on him, we risk what another may bring.

Anyone thinking he'd walk in and start kicking bags must be high on the jungle juice. The bloke was good for Melbourne, MELBOURNE. You know that place where Silvia came from!

Have you seen the interview? He states he has being doing SFA just to get away from it all. Watch the interview and even look at his face. I'd be amazed if he hasn't stacked on 10kgs just in his face! Easy enough to lose for a professional and I'd imagine wouldn't take much to get back into shape... but that's how I know, because he said it and I saw it.
He has gone back into training and resting his foot is the best thing he could have done. The return to exercise will now help is mental health issues and he would have received Cognitive Behaviour Therapy to help him deal with disappointment and things not going exactly how he wants them too. No guarantees, but there aren't any guarantees with any player. You have a right to feel righteous indignation but just let Freo decide

Haven't seen the interview, but I have spoken with him directly. Admittedly, he's not in full training anymore, but I wouldn't say that he hasn't done anything since he retired as you so authoritatively put it.

Haven't seen the interview, but I have spoken with him directly. Admittedly, he's not in full training anymore, but I wouldn't say that he hasn't done anything since he retired as you so authoritatively put it.

Wasn't authoritatively saying anything. Just repeating the facts of his interview and what he said himself.

Some have said he is now into boxing daily, so they may have an updated version of his activity. I haven't heard that or know that, so again my statement was from the horses mouth and his face.

I'll back the club and Mitch if hé's in purple but I don't think he will be looked at if the club stands for anything close to what resembles principals.

At the end of the day, they may take emotion out of it. They may see a ready made big man who can fill a definite hole in our forward line and they may take the gamble.

I don't think they will or should and I'll leave it at that.

I'd rather gamble on a draft pick or source a big man like Shaun McKernan, Griffiths, Casboult any other stiff then this guy. So that's the risk we take by gambling on him, we risk what another may bring.

Anyone thinking he'd walk in and start kicking bags must be high on the jungle juice. The bloke was good for Melbourne, MELBOURNE. You know that place where Silvia came from!
They are all spuds. There is no risk in picking one player over another in rookie draft. They are by definition all speculative.
Also it is Sylvia with a y. You have had 10 months to learn that one.

I'd rather gamble on a draft pick or source a big man like Shaun McKernan, Griffiths, Casboult any other stiff then this guy.

Any of these guys ever lead the Coleman medal race at any stage?

You know that place where Silvia came from!

So we should judge one player's utility based on the fact that he came from the same club as another player?

They are all spuds. There is no risk in picking one player over another in rookie draft. They are by definition all speculative.
Also it is Sylvia with a y. You have had 10 months to learn that one.

Sorry should've said I'd have thought having an extra 'i' in his name is very appropriate.

I spell the players who I respect correct most times and this was just a slip. I've written about Sylvia many times and probably the first time I have spelt his name wrong.

But well done to you, to point it out like a smart arse.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back