Mitch Clark

Remove this Banner Ad

Varcoe is the type of player that tends to play well when other players around him are playing well.

Even with how things have gone so far I would do the deal again without hesitation.

Varcoe is an outside attacking player which we have a surplus of.I would much rather the club take a risk on a high quality tall forward/ruckman which is a type of player we have a deficiany in.
You aren't meto or meto's son are you?:)

Your comment that Trav only plays well when others play well around him demonstrates you haven't seen much of him this year. Your categorising of his role this year re-affirms that.

Clark deserves some breathing space. Unlike HMac he is a gun at his best and class big men aren't easy to find.

Think you'll find Trav has been doing a lot of inside work this year too. Even used as a lock down player at times.

Historically there's some truth to that for sure. But for this year, he's played every game and is thriving. We can't say the same about Clark.

Despite playing every game this is were varcoe rates for the total number of clearanes and contested possession this year at collingwood.

Contested possession 15th
Clearences 17th

Not the type of player we need.

Varcoe is the type of player that tends to play well when other players around him are playing well.

Even with how things have gone so far I would do the deal again without hesitation.

Varcoe is an outside attacking player which we have a surplus of.I would much rather the club take a risk on a high quality tall forward/ruckman which is a type of player we have a deficiany in.

The deal also created a good deal of cap space. I also think though, Trav was a good contributor and I generally didn't think he was excess.

But that's the equation, player value over dollar value.

Your comment that Trav only plays well when others play well around him demonstrates you haven't seen much of him this year. Your categorising of his role this year re-affirms that.

Clark deserves some breathing space. Unlike HMac he is a gun at his best and class big men aren't easy to find.

Check out my above post .
He is a outside player.

Lets just hold off on clark.he has not totaly broken down yet.

Check out my above post .
He is a outside player.

Lets just hold off on clark.he has not totaly broken down yet.
I fully appreciate your comment about Trav. You keep saying it. And I keep saying you clearly haven't seen much of him this year or the role he's playing.

As for Mitch - I was suggesting we "hold off"

I fully appreciate your comment about Trav. You keep saying it. And I keep saying you clearly haven't seen much of him this year or the role he's playing.

Think you might of missed my post.

Despite playing every game this year varcoe is
15th for total contested possession and 17th for total clearences at collingwood.

Clearly he is an outside player.

Think you might of missed my post.

Despite playing every game this year varcoe is
15th for total contested possession and 17th for total clearences at collingwood.

Clearly he is an outside player.
Not sure where you got them but they are incomplete.

Again I ask, on how many occasions have you seen him first-hand this year? How did you rate his pressure acts, tackling, the lock down role he's played on a few occasions?

Anyhow, we are going off-topic. I'm hopeful Mitch comes good psychologically and physically cos if he does he has the capacity to really impact games.

Don't get in an argument with geelong_crazy26 I warn you his/her name is not ironic - crazy is his/her middle name literally.

I've seen Trav ignite the pies and sometimes even drag that team forward when they have lapses in games. He plays like an elite senior player in the Pies. I suspect he will place high in their B&F.

Don't think our three recruits from other clubs could have turned out any worse.

Unfair - Stanley was clearly showing his worth and had won over the doubters by the time he got injured. As has been pointed out on this board before, he played 19 & 18 games in his last two seasons at St Kilda so had shown durability. Him getting injured this season was just pure bad luck, a la Mitch Duncan. Not exactly the same as Cowan doing another hamstring, for example.

Unfair - Stanley was clearly showing his worth and had won over the doubters by the time he got injured. As has been pointed out on this board before, he played 19 & 18 games in his last two seasons at St Kilda so had shown durability. Him getting injured this season was just pure bad luck, a la Mitch Duncan. Not exactly the same as Cowan doing another hamstring, for example.

Totally agree. He was looking superb and changing our game style from the middle. And that's important in this discussion, add we haven't seen that fit a while.

The injury was just bad luck

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've seen Trav ignite the pies and sometimes even drag that team forward when they have lapses in games. He plays like an elite senior player in the Pies. I suspect he will place high in their B&F.

Talk about igniting.....always will remember the 11 GF. He set the scene that day.

True. There are two different arguments. If you asked 'have our recruits shown they can produce at the top level?', I'd say for Stanley and Clark the answer is a resounding yes. But equally, if you asked 'have they been good value?', then so far the answer must be no. Hopefully rectified next season.

He was carrying injuries playing in most of those games.

He had broken down everytime he has played ruck

Played one good game for the year. He does that every year

Mitch is a jet. Not concerned if we have to wait until next year to get him right.
But where does it end? He missed most of 2013, was gone all of 2014, and will now miss most of 2015. It looks very similar to the Hamish McIntosh situation. Will there ever be a year where he's right?

But where does it end? He missed most of 2013, was gone all of 2014, and will now miss most of 2015. It looks very similar to the Hamish McIntosh situation. Will there ever be a year where he's right?

Well, 2013/14 didn't impact us any, and sure, we'd have liked to get more games out of him this year, but the club said up front it was a calculated gamble.

I think next year will see the making or breaking of his future with the GFC.

Well, 2013/14 didn't impact us any, and sure, we'd have liked to get more games out of him this year, but the club said up front it was a calculated gamble.

I think next year will see the making or breaking of his future with the GFC.

Neither did the year or so McIntosh didn't play for North Melbourne. But it indicates a trend and perhaps a problem, whether with his body or his head, that can't be fixed and will remain a long-term problem.

Not sure where you got them but they are incomplete.

Again I ask, on how many occasions have you seen him first-hand this year? How did you rate his pressure acts, tackling, the lock down role he's played on a few occasions?

Anyhow, we are going off-topic. I'm hopeful Mitch comes good psychologically and physically cos if he does he has the capacity to really impact games.

Not sure mate how many collingwood games I have watched this year. Would of seen more than half.got fox footy in my bedroom, always on.I see very much the same type of player that was at geelong.

Not sure what you mean those stats are incomplete ? They are the total number of contested possessions and clearences won by varcoe. They are from the afl website.

Just shows that trading for clark was a smart trade.

For all those posters who are against the club taking a risk on injuiry prone players dont forget that both selwood and ottens wers risks.

I heard neil balme say while he was at geelong "you just have to get as many good players to your club as you can".

You need to get about 18 really good players to win a premiership. In an ideal world these players would have no history of injuiru but thats not realistic.sometimes clubs just have to take risks and hope they come of on order to get those 18 really good players

Remove this Banner Ad

Back