Mitch Clark

Remove this Banner Ad

Dire is when we need to put Walker in the ruck. :(

As much as i don't want to see Walker in the ruck, I would say dire is seeing either Taylor or Hawkins in the ruck - never want to see either of them playing there again

Dire is when we need to put Walker in the ruck. :(

As much as i don't want to see Walker in the ruck, I would say dire is seeing either Taylor or Hawkins in the ruck - never want to see either of them playing there again
I think we have a new dire rucking scale:

Taylor > Hawkins > Walker > Clark > Stanley/Blicavs

Bottom line, let's hope we see a fair bit of Simpson or Hmac taking the #1 role!

Bottom line, let's hope we see a fair bit of Simpson or Hmac taking the #1 role!

Simpson and HMac were pretty ordinary in that #1 role for large chunks of 2014 and lowered their colours on many occasions. Need to see some significant improvement from the dynamic duo.

I think an interesting exercise would be to place our best 22 players into their worst positions on the ground, then watch during the season to see how often our player positions match the reality of game day positions. We could make a Cat Bingo game of it- first person to tick off all their worst positions wins a prize. :)

I think an interesting exercise would be to place our best 22 players into their worst positions on the ground, then watch during the season to see how often our player positions match the reality of game day positions. We could make a Cat Bingo game of it- first person to tick off all their worst positions wins a prize. :)

Could be fun - but as much as the worse role for Stokes (175cm) would be the ruck, surely we would never see him lining up in that position!

Although, just checking his career stats he is attributed with 1 hitout in 2013, so I could be very wrong that we won't see him lining up there.

Simpson and HMac were pretty ordinary in that #1 role for large chunks of 2014 and lowered their colours on many occasions. Need to see some significant improvement from the dynamic duo.

While true, how much of Simpsons issue could be attributed to his back issues? He looked to be struggling long before he officially had a line through his name for the year. If he is fit and able to play pain free, that surely would help his performance

Could be fun - but as much as the worse role for Stokes (175cm) would be the ruck, surely we would never see him lining up in that position!

Although, just checking his career stats he is attributed with 1 hitout in 2013, so I could be very wrong that we won't see him lining up there.
Hahaha- third man up counts. ;) that's one point for you, then! :D
You'd have to be tricky and put players in positions that you know they might actually play. :)

While true, how much of Simpsons issue could be attributed to his back issues? He looked to be struggling long before he officially had a line through his name for the year. If he is fit and able to play pain free, that surely would help his performance
I just want to see him take some marks... impose himself and really clunk the ball

That would just about make me as excited as anything else I reckon

I just want to see him take some marks... impose himself and really clunk the ball

That would just about make me as excited as anything else I reckon

I don't think there would be too many who disagree with that - although for some anything less than 50 hitouts a match would mean he should be traded.

If can play with his mind free of worrying about his back or any injury and instead have him just concentrate on playing footy then I think those things will happen - if his mind is elsewhere then some of the simplist actions on the field can be made to look the most difficult. But if he can stand tall and present as a target, particularly for kick outs from behind, suddenly we have a 211cm tall target that we can put trust in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No doubt his injuries have curtailed his development.

However he really struggles in judging the flight of the ball and for a big man that's a major issue. Not sure a clean bill of health will resolve this.

No doubt his injuries have curtailed his development.

However he really struggles in judging the flight of the ball and for a big man that's a major issue. Not sure a clean bill of health will resolve this.

He really only struggled with that last year though. This is a comparison of his 2013 season vs 2014; he played only 6 games in 2013 before hurting his knee against the Saints, but struggled through 13 games last year (2013 on the left):
Disposals: 9.8 vs 6.1
Marks: 3.5 vs 1.5 (21 in 6 games vs 18 in 13)
Hitouts: 29.8 vs 22.1
Tackles: 2 vs 2.6 - the anominly, but it would be interesting to see how many of his 34 total tackles last year occured after a ball up or centre bounce where neither team cleared the ball, compared with a tackle in general play.

I don't think he necessraily struggles to judge the ball in the air, because he didn't struggle in 2013, I think last year that his back issues were worse than let on for a lot longer before anything was really said, and that restriction hampered his ability with things like marking, especially overhead or in pack situations where he may not have had the movement he was used to.
Same thing with Hawkins in 2013 when he was dealing with his back issues; his career lowest ave marks was his first season with an ave of 3.7 from 9 games, his next worse season was 2013 where he ave 4.2. In 2012 & 2014 (so either side of his injury issue) he ave 6.6 & 6.7, and 2011 with an ave of 4.9 is his other season with an ave marks of less than 5. That shows how much a back issue can hamper a player with their marking ability and general movement.

2014 wasn't great for Simpson, but I don't think we should be using that as a base to judge him on for where his strengths and weaknesses are. In 6 games in 2013, we saw some of what he is capable of when not injured or restricted - that should be the base mark for Simpson and what he is aiming to improve on, not what he produced last year.

I hear what you are saying but don't be surprised if he does have some short stints in the ruck it's a good way to get a big bloke like Clark involved early in a game especially now that he has missed a fair bit of footy, it gets the juices pumping and calms the nerves.

Just like putting the 6 million dollar man ( BOYD) in the ruck for the Doggies yesterday. That was a head scratcher for me. He's not a ruck man.

I can see the reasoning for Clark to have a brief stint - but would prefer to see him nearer the posts for mine.

Go Catters

Cannot see Harry playing anywhere but in defence as he just judges the ball coming in so well. He is the key to our backline. Sure Blicavs may play back but Harry will be beside him down there somewhere. Maybe Harry will take the third tall role as Scarlett did in his later years ? I think he would be a waste on a wing.

Eventually we are looking for a replacement for Lonergan and that is where Blicavs might end up. Then Harry will still need to play CHB. But with Enright likely to go at season's end - Harry would be an ideal candidate for his job - but we have a few others that could come in and try out that role as well.

It all depends on Blicavs form and role as a KPB and getting another KPB - so Harry could play the lose in defence. So that is a few years away IMO.

He really only struggled with that last year though. This is a comparison of his 2013 season vs 2014; he played only 6 games in 2013 before hurting his knee against the Saints, but struggled through 13 games last year (2013 on the left):
Disposals: 9.8 vs 6.1
Marks: 3.5 vs 1.5 (21 in 6 games vs 18 in 13)
Hitouts: 29.8 vs 22.1
Tackles: 2 vs 2.6 - the anominly, but it would be interesting to see how many of his 34 total tackles last year occured after a ball up or centre bounce where neither team cleared the ball, compared with a tackle in general play.

I don't think he necessraily struggles to judge the ball in the air, because he didn't struggle in 2013, I think last year that his back issues were worse than let on for a lot longer before anything was really said, and that restriction hampered his ability with things like marking, especially overhead or in pack situations where he may not have had the movement he was used to.
Same thing with Hawkins in 2013 when he was dealing with his back issues; his career lowest ave marks was his first season with an ave of 3.7 from 9 games, his next worse season was 2013 where he ave 4.2. In 2012 & 2014 (so either side of his injury issue) he ave 6.6 & 6.7, and 2011 with an ave of 4.9 is his other season with an ave marks of less than 5. That shows how much a back issue can hamper a player with their marking ability and general movement.

2014 wasn't great for Simpson, but I don't think we should be using that as a base to judge him on for where his strengths and weaknesses are. In 6 games in 2013, we saw some of what he is capable of when not injured or restricted - that should be the base mark for Simpson and what he is aiming to improve on, not what he produced last year.

I wouldn't have thought he had back problems all season. Given Hmac was up and about the club had no reason to play Simpson for all those 18 games and risk inflaming a pre-existing condition; especially coming into the finals.

I suspect basic aerobic conditioning, a lack of form and stagnant development were more the culprits.

Last edited:

I would agree with that except Stanley. When you look at what we paid for him, and the fact that the St Kilda recruiter (who is now with us) says he thinks he's a ruck not a forward, I think the plan is for him to do a fair bit of ruckwork, and I don't think they would have bought him if they had faith in Hamish and Simpson medically.

The other five guys you mentioned I don't think they want rucking if they can avoid it.

I would agree with that except Stanley. When you look at what we paid for him, and the fact that the St Kilda recruiter (who is now with us) says he thinks he's a ruck not a forward, I think the plan is for him to do a fair bit of ruckwork, and I don't think they would have bought him if they had faith in Hamish and Simpson medically.

The other five guys you mentioned I don't think they want rucking if they can avoid it.

IMO Stanley is a mobile running ruck who can play forward if need be or swing forward post ruck work.
I reckon the Cats have recruited him to do the same.
Stanley as a forward would simply be surplus to what we currently have, so I can't see why they would bring him in to play anything but ruck.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back