Mitch Clark

Remove this Banner Ad

Wasn't 100% it was you - thus the preface of not wanting to put words in your mouth - but yes you were whom I thought of. I recall I had several posters in that discussion.
As for Vards, and like I said im not going back to dig of them, but I know we discussed his rehab, time out of the game and the effect this had on his application to his return and the "need" for the time away. Menzel doing the same was also discussed and I too recall a tone to the idea that it would be bereft of any benefit.

Menzel's doco gave some light to the need for time way from the club and the benefits. Not sure it gives direct correlation between time away and positive results in rehab but anecdotally at least he seems to give it credence.

Im not an IG person - just purely listed that on memory and glad you could confirm it.

As for Vardy's rehab duration, my understanding it was the same tendonitis issue that Menzel has had, is having and will have going forward. Im not aware of any definitive treatment modality for that, or timeframe for its resolution. In other words, everyone comes back differently

Go Catters
Most treatment for tendonitis involves rest, which isn't possible for elite athletes. The most common treatment is Rest, Ice, Compression with elastic bandage + Elevation. Stretching the tendon is also beneficial, because while most elite athletes have strong muscles, their flexibility is poor. More aggressive treatment involves cortisone. The most recent development is PRP where blood is taken, spun to separate the platelets healing parts + re-injected into the inflamed/affected area. Then there's the surgical option, which removes scar tissue without damaging the healthy tendon.

Thanks Fred- Thought I'd read something I initially mentioned bone chips getting cleaned out but couldn't find any article- apart from those linked to other players- though I googled a few random combinations of Vardy, knee, bone pieces and operation, etc. Glad I wasn't imagining things.
Vardy did have bone chips removed by hip arthroscopy in 2011, which is why he was on crutches at the 11GF cocktail party. Bone chips, or torn cartilage debris cause hip pain and decreased range of motion.

If Clark's problems were just related to his calf I think we could be more optimistic that he could have a full pre-season and play a significant role next season. He injured his calf in the Eagles game on 31st May. At the time Chris Scott said Clark's injury "was not on the serious end of the scale" and "right at the moment we're working towards a recovery program that gets him going in a week or two". But then he was out for the rest of the season with barely a mention of him by the club. To me this suggests his problems were of the mental kind, and the club was shielding him from the attention that might go with that.
IIRC it was announced that Clark's calf injury was more complex than first thought. Maybe, maybe not. I think you're right though, his issues were to do with his mental state, which is to be expected. Clark had a terrific NAB Cup series, probably high hopes for the season + when he injured his calf it must have gone tumbling down, horrid for him, but understandable.

Yes but that's supposition, rumour, innuendo. Chris Scott refers to Clark as a long term asset for the club - I'd think it is well worth waiting and seeing how he performs in 2016. Best case scenario, he and Hawkins form an elite duo of skillful tall forwards. Add Vardy firing and you've really got something special, and that's without considering the addition of Menzel, Stanley and the development of Lang, Gregson etc. Worst case - well, who knows?

Point is, the signs are very positive now - Clark should have a good pre-season and hopefully things will fall into place. I'd certainly prefer to think that than dwell on any potential negative possibilities, and I see no reason why that can't be just as realistically contemplated. And even if there are any lingering mental issues they must surely diminish as he finds good form and assumes an earned and respected place in what is still a new club to him.
I'm not quite sure it's "supposition, rumour, innuendo". With depression, the tiniest thing can trigger a plunge deep into the darkness. You're right that Scotty + the Club see Clark as a long term asset + he'll be given all the help + support he needs, a gently-gently approach.
The bolded: that is very, very true johhny + very important to consider! But we must be cautious, but still very hopeful, because along that road there will be ups + downs. Gradually increasing to more + more ups, which can be very realistically considered. I like your glass half full approach :thumbsu:

More Room for Wine.jpg

:D

Yes but that's supposition, rumour, innuendo. Chris Scott refers to Clark as a long term asset for the club - I'd think it is well worth waiting and seeing how he performs in 2016. Best case scenario, he and Hawkins form an elite duo of skillful tall forwards. Add Vardy firing and you've really got something special, and that's without considering the addition of Menzel, Stanley and the development of Lang, Gregson etc. Worst case - well, who knows?

Point is, the signs are very positive now - Clark should have a good pre-season and hopefully things will fall into place. I'd certainly prefer to think that than dwell on any potential negative possibilities, and I see no reason why that can't be just as realistically contemplated. And even if there are any lingering mental issues they must surely diminish as he finds good form and assumes an earned and respected place in what is still a new club to him.

I'm as optimistic as anyone but we have to be realistic too. Look at the number of games he has played in recent seasons

2012 11
2013 4
2014 0
2015 8

And consider that he missed most of last season due to what we were told was a minor calf injury. We need to hope for the best and plan for the worst.

I'm as optimistic as anyone but we have to be realistic too. Look at the number of games he has played in recent seasons

2012 11
2013 4
2014 0
2015 8

And consider that he missed most of last season due to what we were told was a minor calf injury. We need to hope for the best and plan for the worst.
I'm seeing an upward trend there. :D

In that case we're halfway there - the club has hoping for the best down to a fine art; we just suck at planning for the worst.
that's actually pretty funny. With a ring of truth ...

Say what you want about Mitch but as a pet owner I was glad to see him getting behind GAWS, also he seems quite cheery in this clip so if this extra passion of his can help put him in a good head space then that also has my support. His health is far more important than what he does for this club after all.

Also this looks like a video for Hell Kitty :)

http://www.geelongcats.com.au/video/2015-12-02/a-harley-and-a-cat-for-xmas

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Say what you want about Mitch but as a pet owner I was glad to see him getting behind GAWS, also he seems quite cheery in this clip so if this extra passion of his can help put him in a good head space then that also has my support. His health is far more important than what he does for this club after all.

Also this looks like a video for Hell Kitty :)

http://www.geelongcats.com.au/video/2015-12-02/a-harley-and-a-cat-for-xmas
:hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

You see, cats can help people so much!

Mitch is looking fantastic! Very relaxed + has the life back in his eyes!

+ so great to read
"Clark has set himself the goal of rejoining the main training group after the Christmas/New Year break.

The big forward is on the comeback trail after calf problems sidelined him during the second half of the 2015 season.

But the 28-year-old has been putting in plenty of work on the training track since starting his pre-season program, and he is upbeat about his progress."
http://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2015-12-02/clark-stepping-up-his-workload

Rather delist him and give Wylie a few games.
Funny, but silly. Clark has shown more as a key forward than anyone on our list bar Hawkins... Worst case scenario Blicavs becomes our new CHF... One spot he hasn't played yet.

Thought Clark looked awesome before his injury I'd be happy with a year or two of that.
As B-Rad showed in 2009 sometimes you only need a handful of good games at the right time.

IIRC it was announced that Clark's calf injury was more complex than first thought. Maybe, maybe not. I think you're right though, his issues were to do with his mental state, which is to be expected. Clark had a terrific NAB Cup series, probably high hopes for the season + when he injured his calf it must have gone tumbling down, horrid for him, but understandable.
So many assumptions in this post.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back