Mitch Clark

Remove this Banner Ad

What clark also brings is goals kicked around the body, pick up and snaps, 2nd efforts, solid tap work around goal. With him, hawkins, johnson, bartel, kersten and menzel (i hope) around goal it should bring some excitement and versatility around goal that makes geelong a dangerous attacking side. Hopefully in the next two weeks we see some exciting young talent fill out the rest of the forward line with some stability.
Stability is something that we've been lacking in recent years- partly because of injury and partly because the coach is a sucker for versatility in his players.

Our backline is the best- or one of the best in the league- due to stability. Our midfield is one of the worst in the league- perhaps partly due to instability. We have so many different players that can, and do, rotate through the midfield, is it really any wonder that few combinations have learned to work together as a single unit, to the team's advantage (not having a regular fit ruckman is another negative here)?

If we can keep Clark and Hawkins on the park and build a forward line around them, as you've said, the increase in stability there will help mask some of the midfield problems (provided, of course, we can actually get the ball into the F50 :))

Its easy to forget that we won as many H&A games as any other team in the competition last year. 17 & 5 I think it was. We are spoilt!

I don't think our midfield is one of the worst in the league.
I probably should've qualified that with "as far as clearances go" because, individually, we actually do have a couple of the best midfielders in the game and several of the other boys aren't too shabby, either. They just don't win clearances!

According to Footywire, last season we ranked 18th in clearances and 17th in team to opponent clearances per game differential.

Neither do I. It's not as good as it was. But it's not appalling either.

So where does the Geelong midfield stand on a scale of 1-18?
1 being the best in the comp and 18 the worst.

Its easy to forget that we won as many H&A games as any other team in the competition last year. 17 & 5 I think it was. We are spoilt!

I don't think our midfield is one of the worst in the league.

I laughed at that too.

Our midfield is definitely not a strength at the moment, but one of the worst in the league is a hilarious overstatement.

I probably should've qualified that with "as far as clearances go" because, individually, we actually do have a couple of the best midfielders in the game and several of the other boys aren't too shabby, either. They just don't win clearances!

According to Footywire, last season we ranked 18th in clearances and 17th in team to opponent clearances per game differential.

Thanks for clarifying TC.

As a unit, the purpose of the midfield would be to... what?
To clear the ball after the ruckmen had tapped it down?

In terms of that definition, we would be ranked 17/18th.

But then we know that the clearances aren't the be-all and end-all of the situation- and that the ball is often turned over immediately after a clearance- often by the midfielders.

You'd have to take that into determining your ranking- and I'm sorry but I don't know where to obtain those stats.

As a unit, the purpose of the midfield would be to... what?
To clear the ball after the ruckmen had tapped it down?

In terms of that definition, we would be ranked 17/18th.

But then we know that the clearances aren't the be-all and end-all of the situation- and that the ball is often turned over immediately after a clearance- often by the midfielders.

You'd have to take that into determining your ranking- and I'm sorry but I don't know where to obtain those stats.

Don't worry TC, there probably aren't any that are meaningful stats anyway, and by that I mean most stats in the AFL are open to large amounts of interpretation imho.

I would have said the job of the midfield is to transition the ball from the back and middle thirds of the field into the possession of forwards, whilst obstructing the opposition midfield from doing the same.

When you take that view the actual method becomes irrelevant. Certainly there are some universal truths which hold true about the nature of midfield units which do this effectively. You've definitely hit on an aspect of that, but there would certainly be others.

For me the simple fact that it is rare (seems to only happen against the best teams for period of matches) that we are not able to generate inside 50's suggests that we are no at the bottom of the pile for the quality of our midfield.

However the fact that our forward 50's often lack polish, and we are terrible at clearances would also indicate that we're definitely not top shelf either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stability is something that we've been lacking in recent years- partly because of injury and partly because the coach is a sucker for versatility in his players.

Our backline is the best- or one of the best in the league- due to stability. Our midfield is one of the worst in the league- perhaps partly due to instability. We have so many different players that can, and do, rotate through the midfield, is it really any wonder that few combinations have learned to work together as a single unit, to the team's advantage (not having a regular fit ruckman is another negative here)?

If we can keep Clark and Hawkins on the park and build a forward line around them, as you've said, the increase in stability there will help mask some of the midfield problems (provided, of course, we can actually get the ball into the F50 :))
Getting it inside 50 will depend on having a much better year in the clearances and contested possesions. would love to see some plays where caddy, guthrie and maybe jansen extract to some outside run of motlop, cockatoo and lang to provide some inside passes to the big forwards. Then ill get excited!!

Getting it inside 50 will depend on having a much better year in the clearances and contested possesions. would love to see some plays where caddy, guthrie and maybe jansen extract to some outside run of motlop, cockatoo and lang to provide some inside passes to the big forwards. Then ill get excited!!
They've just gotta get in there and get it forward with quick long kicks. Hawk, Mots, Clark will do the rest.

Last edited:
"Watch me kick dem goalz!"
143.png

watched all 6 last night and guessing plenty more to come.

The marks are sticking!
Not only was he grabbing everything, his kicking for goal was sublime.
Even if he's not kicking goals, the forward line dynamic is miles better by just having that extra power forward option.
The crows backline isn't the greatest but he was getting in the right spots and created plenty of chances for himself.

I was a bit hesitant to see him in the ruck but I was really impressed with what I saw. He also found a bit of the footy around the ground and used it well. Showed great composure & decision making for a guy 18 months out of the game.
His fitness level must be pretty good and any injury concerns seem well out the door.

Perhaps a good idea to rest him for the next game?
Etihad Stadium has always been known as tough ground to play on for the body. Especially the centre circle pitch where the rucks do battle.
If Stanley gets through the VFL he could come in and replace Clark for the Carltank game.

Perhaps a good idea to rest him for the next game?
Etihad Stadium has always been known as tough ground to play on for the body. Especially the centre circle pitch where the rucks do battle.
Understand your thinking but, personally, I'd rather see him play again.

Last night would have been a big confidence fill-up for Clark (and the club) and I'd like to see him try and further build on it.

The fact he rucked a bit last night, as bulletproof mentioned, is a promising sign that both he and the coaches believe in him and his body.

He was moving well. Keep him out there and allow him to continue to find his touch I reckon

Understand your thinking but, personally, I'd rather see him play again.

Last night would have been a big confidence fill-up for Clark (and the club) and I'd like to see him try and further build on it.

The fact he rucked a bit last night, as bulletproof mentioned, is a promising sign that both he and the coaches believe in him and his body.

He was moving well. Keep him out there and allow him to continue to find his touch I reckon
I tend to agree, he could do with all the match practice he can get coming into round 1. Of course, we don't want to over cook him but even if he plays only forward and 50-60% game time he should at least be playing.

Middle of the road for me 9-10. Top 4 on our outside game, but bottom 4 on our inside game.
Which is funny because we look so much better on paper on the inside(excluding our rucks) than we do on the outside. It's 100% driven by our game plan.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back