Injury Mitch Duncan - foot fracture/ minor Achilles surgery

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2015-11-23/minor-surgery-delay-for-duncan

Geelong midfielder Mitch Duncan will have the start of his pre-season delayed by minor surgery near his achilles.

"Mitch returned early from his off-season break and the injury flared during a session last week," Geelong's general manager of football Steve Hocking said.

"Mitch will have surgery this week and it is expected the recovery period will be around 3-4 weeks."

Geelong midfielder Mitch Duncan will have the start of his pre-season delayed by minor surgery near his achilles.

"Mitch returned early from his off-season break and the injury flared during a session last week," Geelong's general manager of football Steve Hocking said.

"Mitch will have surgery this week and it is expected the recovery period will be around 3-4 weeks."

All the DQ's will be pushing this button on their keyboards

1280px-Panic_button.jpg

;)

Ypo, breathe in, breathe out.
Don't stuff up the medal manboob lives for.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I suppose the positive to take out of it is that prior to his new injury this thread had degenerated in to posts about erectile dysfunction. At least now it might get some small amount of dignity back and I for one think Mitch Duncan's foot at the very least deserves that.

Shite !!!!!!!!! Please do not tell me its starting again !

We nearly have a full list ready to start a big pre-season and already one down - and a very good one. Sure he will be back in time to do most of the pre-season so it may make little difference. But I always have my heart in my mouth when I hear 'Today a Geelong player suffered an injury ..... '. I just know its going to be someone we need and it is worse than first thought.

Plus it has thrown out the door the plans we had for the development of quite a few of our young guys. Injuries have hurt us worse than most footy fans know. It has cruelled a few finals attempts to get that next Premiership. Is it not time we had a decent run with injuries ?

I read in the Hun today where Cook said that injuries have really hurt us and we were doing everything to prevent and better rehabilitate players because we have had too many injuries. It just have to stop AND stop now - OK ?

Can a mod please look into this concern for me and get the injury front sorted - ASAP ! Thanks (in advance of your good work on this front).

Hope it is only a month out, he's our secret weapon next year, I was expecting fully fit he'd be better than J Selwood in 2016.

Possible but it is also possible the fact that Selwood had a his worst year in the AFL - and Duncan has been getting so good (before his injury) - that thought that Duncan could surpass Selwood in 2016 rushed into your head ? I would still be backing Selwood with Danger and his brother at the coal face with him. He has had to carry such a load with so little back up.

Cook mentioned this in his HUN interview. That Geelong had recognised the burden of what he has to do is too much. And so the deliberately went after very good mids (inside is my guess) to assist Joel. Plus they will bring some more leadership to the group and that will be a good thing. That is why I am so bullish (given few injuries) for 2017. By then the younger guys would have been taught so well by these and other leaders we have (Bartel, Harry, Enright, Mackie and Hawkins).

Joel makes you want to follow him into battle. There are few leaders like that. Hodge, Johnno Brown, Voss, etc. There are not many in the league at any given time. If Joel can get better protected by a bigger midfield and ruck set up (carriers less soreness into each game), get a few decent taps his way for a change, that he may not be the mid tagged by the opposition (maybe Danger will be the target) and just plays in a midfield that wins its battles and a team that wins games consistently (and more convincingly) - the feeling around the club will lift and that will help Joel to feel better and be better.

I am a huge backer of Duncan - he was my pick of the young guys coming thru 3-4 years ago (with Bundy, Motlop, Guthrie, etc). I think had he not been injured he would now be considered an A grade player. He just did not get to play enough games when he was on fire over the last 2 seasons IMO. If he can get on the park uninhibited by injury having had a decent pre-season - he could well go to the elite level. Past Selwood - well that would be an awesome effort. But Selwood will always get an extra vote because he has that special something that players follow. Its like the boxer who is always pushing forward. They seem to get the nod more often that not when all else is even.

Serious question - because I honestly don't know.......

Does any other club have the same volume and frequency of foot injuries that the GFC seems to suffer?
Plenty of other clubs had players out with foot injuries or hotspots this year.

BTW this latest thing isn't his foot.

Possible but it is also possible the fact that Selwood had a his worst year in the AFL - and Duncan has been getting so good (before his injury) - that thought that Duncan could surpass Selwood in 2016 rushed into your head ? I would still be backing Selwood with Danger and his brother at the coal face with him. He has had to carry such a load with so little back up.

Cook mentioned this in his HUN interview. That Geelong had recognised the burden of what he has to do is too much. And so the deliberately went after very good mids (inside is my guess) to assist Joel. Plus they will bring some more leadership to the group and that will be a good thing. That is why I am so bullish (given few injuries) for 2017. By then the younger guys would have been taught so well by these and other leaders we have (Bartel, Harry, Enright, Mackie and Hawkins).

Joel makes you want to follow him into battle. There are few leaders like that. Hodge, Johnno Brown, Voss, etc. There are not many in the league at any given time. If Joel can get better protected by a bigger midfield and ruck set up (carriers less soreness into each game), get a few decent taps his way for a change, that he may not be the mid tagged by the opposition (maybe Danger will be the target) and just plays in a midfield that wins its battles and a team that wins games consistently (and more convincingly) - the feeling around the club will lift and that will help Joel to feel better and be better.

I am a huge backer of Duncan - he was my pick of the young guys coming thru 3-4 years ago (with Bundy, Motlop, Guthrie, etc). I think had he not been injured he would now be considered an A grade player. He just did not get to play enough games when he was on fire over the last 2 seasons IMO. If he can get on the park uninhibited by injury having had a decent pre-season - he could well go to the elite level. Past Selwood - well that would be an awesome effort. But Selwood will always get an extra vote because he has that special something that players follow. Its like the boxer who is always pushing forward. They seem to get the nod more often that not when all else is even.
Good post, but I just think the huge physical toll Selwood has had on his body over the last 9 seasons is finally taking its toll. It wasn't only his disappointing season he also looked a lot slower than I've ever seen him and his disposal and decision making seemed really below his standards this season as well. I now feel far more confident in Duncan both with his decision making and disposal than I do with Selwood. Don't get me wrong I love what Selwood's given us and think he's a complete champ but I think he's on the downward slope. I understand many will look at his age and think I'm crazy for saying that but a football players body often doesn't reflect his age.

Good post, but I just think the huge physical toll Selwood has had on his body over the last 9 seasons is finally taking its toll. It wasn't only his disappointing season he also looked a lot slower than I've ever seen him and his disposal and decision making seemed really below his standards this season as well. I now feel far more confident in Duncan both with his decision making and disposal than I do with Selwood. Don't get me wrong I love what Selwood's given us and think he's a complete champ but I think he's on the downward slope. I understand many will look at his age and think I'm crazy for saying that but a football players body often doesn't reflect his age.
Sad but true until proven otherwise..

Good post, but I just think the huge physical toll Selwood has had on his body over the last 9 seasons is finally taking its toll.

I don't reckon he's in decline just yet. I believe he has been carrying a couple different types of injuries but because he's the captain, on big coin, he must set the example and push through and this may be why his form wavered in 2015 quite dramatically.
It's almost the NFL quarterback approach to injuries, you simply pad up and push through whatever injury it is you are carrying no matter how severe, which is really quite incomprehensible (Robert Griffin III the prime example).

We should see him play some of, it not the best football of his career in 2016 now that Dangerfield is added to the mix. The rise in consistency from Caddy, Blicavs, Guthrie, Horlin-Smith should only ensure he finds more support with or without his brother for most of the first half of the season.

You are right though, when we were unsuccessful in luring Travis Boak, the club realized Joel was going to be getting hammered for another couple of years straight.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back