Scape Goat Mitch Robinson - to retain or not to retain

Should Mitch Robinson be given a chance to 'redeem' himself!

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty clear votes for Mitch in this Poll - NOT SURPRISED:thumbsu:

Maybe some lurker from the CFC - can pass on what passionate supporters think! carlton would get #17 if there were 18 players with Mitch's heart on the paddock every week - fact.

We'd have to at least put a contract to him, minimalist at that to prevent him moving as a DFA.

Reckon' Collingwood may be interested in topping up their midfield options. STK, GWS, WBD & Melbourne may like a mature body (immature mind) added in to the mix. Would Brisbane nibble again? North, WCE & Richmond? He'd have to go somewhere surely.

Think we'll keep Robbo for a reduced 1yr contract as better playing option of Ellard, Brock, Lucas. Wake up call will be heeded too and as quoted on here, it may have been the clubs agenda all along. Get a good deal & gone, knuckle down and stay on good behaviour.

Save your energy. He's gone.

Nah, let 'em discuss.

If we put the brakes on every unlikely scenario, we wouldn't tip Carlton against top 4 sides, we wouldn't speculate on unlikely trades, we'd have zero interest in the Brownlow.

Robinson is a Carlton listed player right up until the club officially say he is delisted, and supporters that want him to stay are free to lobby, plead, bargain, or stick pins in voodoo dolls until that word comes. 99% of them will move on, having not expended anymore energy than anybody else expends typing on a keyboard.

There's a reason why Robinson attracted zero interest from other clubs, and it's nothing to do with his off-field indiscretions.

You think it was the suspensions?

It's not purely on field decision making. That ebbs and flows. Sometimes he makes some very good decisions. Certainly not his work rate.

You already did.
I just don't like the idea of throwing someone(a young one) to the kerb and for what really?
Getting in a blue at a festival.
You ever been to a music festival in the middle of summer surrounded by thousands of drugged up drunk excited people?.
Easy to find trouble even with your eyes to the ground!!
The Jeppy incident,ok ,if you know the true details of what went down that night and want to see the end of Robbo because it,maybe you'd like yo share,because apart from the lie, it just sounds like a bit of a dumb thing to do!.
I worked/managed a team of twenty year olds sometime ago.
One thing I learned is that you don't earn their trust or respect by tossing them on the garbage heap for a couple of **** ups!.
I'm glad your no list manager and hope you certainly 'don't' manage the lives of young people in any ****en way or form.
Do you understand my POV now?.

You implied that there were several .. I named one. My mistake?

Been to plenty of music festivals with drunken morons? How many fights? .. Squat

Nice effort trying to take the moral high ground ... By all means, I'm happy for the club to keep supporting robbo in his life as I would have hoped they'd keep supporting Jeffy .. The club is bigger than any individual though and that's the reality (as it should be) .. It's not a child care centre .. If the players and club don't trust him, don't think he's got the character to help us move forward then there's no alternative. Simple as that.

I also don't have him best 22 so there aren't too many pros stacking up against the cons ...

You think it was the suspensions?

It's not purely on field decision making. That ebbs and flows. Sometimes he makes some very good decisions. Certainly not his work rate.
He's a limited footballer, pure and simple. Cannot fault his effort or courage on the field but mediocre players like Robbo have been the norm at Carlton for far too long.

You already did.
I just don't like the idea of throwing someone(a young one) to the kerb and for what really?
Getting in a blue at a festival.
You ever been to a music festival in the middle of summer surrounded by thousands of drugged up drunk excited people?.
Easy to find trouble even with your eyes to the ground!!
The Jeppy incident,ok ,if you know the true details of what went down that night and want to see the end of Robbo because it,maybe you'd like yo share,because apart from the lie, it just sounds like a bit of a dumb thing to do!.
I worked/managed a team of twenty year olds sometime ago.
One thing I learned is that you don't earn their trust or respect by tossing them on the garbage heap for a couple of **** ups!.
I'm glad your no list manager and hope you certainly 'don't' manage the lives of young people in any ****en way or form.
Do you understand my POV now?.

Been to plenty of music festivals with drunken morons? How many fights? .. Squat

Nice effort trying to take the moral high ground ... By all means, I'm happy for the club to keep supporting robbo in his life as I would have hoped they'd keep supporting Jeffy .. The club is bigger than any individual though and that's the reality (as it should be) .. It's not a child care centre .. If the players and club don't trust him, don't think he's got the character to help us move forward then there's no alternative. Simple as that.

I also don't have him best 22 so there aren't too many pros stacking up against the cons ...

He's a limited footballer, pure and simple. Cannot fault his effort or courage on the field but mediocre players like Robbo have been the norm at Carlton for far too long.

If it is purely on his football, there are a few teams that Robbo would be better than half of their players, and his endeavour is a precious commodity. If he doesn't get picked up, it's not because of football ability. There are a few clubs who made enquiries but they haven't gone anywhere. They wouldn't even enquire if they thought he was too limited to play AFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As I said,I'm glad you're not in a position to make those decisions.
A child care centre,okey mete.
It takes more than best 22,but you keep spouting that as some sort of relevance to modern footy clubs.
As far as his festival fraca,he's an easy target.
Do you know what was said or what truly happened?.
I hope he stays and kills it,I think his pros far outweigh the cons.
Perhaps I'm just an old naive forgiving bloke?!.

If the players didn't get the message when we pissed off Fevola, I'm sorry Mitch, we cannot help you. Only wish we traded him out last year. The club has to get better in trading out dickheads while they still have value.

If the players didn't get the message when we pissed off Fevola, I'm sorry Mitch, we cannot help you. Only wish we traded him out last year. The club has to get better in trading out dickheads while they still have value.

Yeah - and your definition of one of these is?

If it is purely on his football, there are a few teams that Robbo would be better than half of their players, and his endeavour is a precious commodity. If he doesn't get picked up, it's not because of football ability. There are a few clubs who made enquiries but they haven't gone anywhere. They wouldn't even enquire if they thought he was too limited to play AFL.
Lots of guys still play AFL despite being very limited footballers (especially with the expansion teams coming in).

Robinson is nowhere near my best 22 for next year. Older players command fatter contracts - he is surplus to requirements, very happy to move on a mediocre player who is not going to get any better.

Before trade period started Brissy were confident they could pick him up as DFA.

Don't know if that has changed now since they have got Beams and Christiansan though..

They're not shy on players that can play forward and through the midfield. Hanley plays off HBF & maybe even Rich will do the same in his return from his ACL.

Well, I'll back Mick and the Leadership Group whichever way they go, because they are at the heart of the matter and I have to trust them.

But, nevertheless, for the sake of the poll and just my personal opinion, I planted my name in the "No" column.

I like Mitch, don't get me wrong. Besides the brain snaps and mistakes he makes (on field or off), he seems to be a nice fella and has a heart of gold when it comes down to it. He's also a Tassie boy so also gets points from me there. Plays with incredible lack of fear along with heaps of passion.

The incidents and suspensions, especially at his age and experience level now, are a worry and I'm not sure he could ever truly fix that, but more than anything - and I don't mean to offend any Robbo fans here - but I like to think that, going forward, we can do better than Robbo. Or at least find an upgraded version.

His passion and fearless smashing into blokes would be hard to replace... but get someone who can be hard yet smarter and better skills and I'd take it. Too often Robbo goes super hard, but not always in a very "smart" way. He might fling himself into a contest or at the ball, but it comes off badly when he ends up flopping onto the ground like a drunk teenager at schoolies, i.e takes himself out of the contest.

I think (hope) with the brigade of inside mids we seem to be building, we can do that.

I thought it was worth a run this thread. Pretty interesting stats as far as opinion goes .... Those that say it is up to the Club - are of course correct.

As to the argument that we can do better than Mitch - my answer is when can do better then he has no place - that is professional sport.

I thought it was worth a run this thread. Pretty interesting stats as far as opinion goes .... Those that say it is up to the Club - are of course correct.

As to the argument that we can do better than Mitch - my answer is when can do better then he has no place - that is professional sport.
Correct, "when" we can is the key thing I guess. I'm just hoping sooner rather than later.

Even if he's goneski, he's clearly too good for VFL-type level and I think can certainly be good for a team that is willing to pick him up. Especially a team that has some youngsters who might need someone to take the heavier hits for them - and we know Robbo can take an unreal amount of physical punishment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back