Retired Mitch Robinson (2014-2022)

Jan 9, 2009
Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Will be interesting to see if he can back up his 2015 season in 2016. He seems to have genuinely turned a corner in his life now and he is a mature, professional who will continue to train the house down and strive to improve so I see no reason why he won't carry his form into 2016. It is kind of remarkable to think that he has become one of our best/most important players now. Is just such an asset with his ferocious attack on the ball, his big tackling, and his contested work as a whole. His games from roughly Round 17 onwards at the end of 2015 were seriously good.

Eons

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Liverpool
Will be interesting to see if he can back up his 2015 season in 2016. He seems to have genuinely turned a corner in his life now and he is a mature, professional who will continue to train the house down and strive to improve so I see no reason why he won't carry his form into 2016. It is kind of remarkable to think that he has become one of our best/most important players now. Is just such an asset with his ferocious attack on the ball, his big tackling, and his contested work as a whole. His games from roughly Round 17 onwards at the end of 2015 were seriously good.

Took us 16 rounds to get the Carlton out of him ;) Expecting big things from Mitch and Bell next year. Haven't had players with no regard for their personal safety in the midfield since Voss.

Robinson: "It was an easy decision"

Mitch Robinson said it was an easy decision to 'repay the faith' shown to him by the Brisbane Lions.

The Club announced on Monday that Robinson, who has been a revelation since joining the Lions from Carlton last season, had signed a two-year deal keeping him at the Lions until the end of 2018.

"My management team and I jumped at it," Robinson told LionsTV.

"It was an easy decision, they showed a lot of faith in me a couple of years ago when I was delisted by Carlton."

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
New diet has Lion Robinson hungrier than ever to improve

MITCH Robinson is 26 and coming off arguably the best season of his AFL career, but the Brisbane Lions' enforcer is hungrier than ever to improve. So much so, the former Carlton half-forward turn midfielder has chased down a company to help with his diet. He's not trying to strip weight, just have more energy.

Despite the off-field misdemeanours that dotted the early part of his career, one thing Robinson could never be accused of was a lack of effort on either the training track or playing field. And after being one of four winners of the Lions' best and fairest in 2015, he wants to get even better.

"I don't want any excuses this year," Robinson told AFL.com.au. "Last year I had the motivation and this year I want the same thing. I'm going to do everything to a tee and try and get better this year. "When I came up here I did diet all by myself basically. "It worked well for me, but I got a new sponsor on board, someone I approached to see if they'd do meals for me, and they'll deliver me weekly meals and make sure I'm fitter."

Clean Cut Foods is the company helping Robinson, but he says home-life with almost two-year-old son Chance and partner Emma, who is expecting a baby girl in March, has its challenges. "She's got eight weeks to go and there's a lot of chocolate around the house," Robinson laughed. "Trying to keep away from that is hard when you open the fridge or cupboard and there's a big block of chocolate staring at you.

"I just want to have more energy. When I train and play I play with a lot of energy and I want to make sure I sustain that for longer periods of time. "It's a high-energy diet." Robinson was a 'Mr Fix It' for the Lions last season, starting in the forward line but being shifted to the midfield halfway through the season with devastating results.

In his final nine matches, he averaged 25 disposals and 10 tackles. Robinson says with the interchange cap being dropped from 120 to 90 this season, he expects to be rotated between the midfield, wing and half-forward.

Pre-Season Training Heats Up
“Damien Austin’s come in (from the Sydney Swans) with a bit more of a focus on legs and a lot of long distance (running) to simulate games,” Robinson told Darren Parkin on The Zone Podcast.

“The drills have been high intensity: we’ve been training for about 80-90 minutes, three times a week now.”

In a bid to reduce the amount of on-field congestion, interchange numbers will be slashed this season from 120 per match to 90 for the first time since 2011.

“It’s (the fitness program) a lot different from we were doing last year. It was more short distance, sprinting, but you have to take into consideration that we had more rotations then too.”

Mitch Robinson named to captain Brisbane Lions in NAB Challenge game against Gold Coast

MITCH Robinson’s remarkable rise from scrapheap to skipper has continued.

The one-time Carlton wildchild all but had a black line through his name after being delisted by the Blues at the end of 2014.

But now there will be a (c) next to his name after he was appointed Brisbane captain for Sunday’s NAB Challenge game against Gold Coast at Burpengary.

The 26-year-old is keeping his one-game stint at the helm in perspective. He knows it is a pre-season hit-out.

He was still thrilled when told the news and hopes it is a springboard into the club’s leadership group in the coming years.

“Even though it’s a NAB Challenge game, it is one of my proudest accomplishments to be able to say I captained an AFL side, ‘’ Robinson said.

“A lot of people will look at the game like it doesn’t mean much, but I can tell you that I felt pretty good about it when I got told at training that I would be captain.

“I’m really looking forward to it. I know it’s a young team so my job will be making sure the young blokes have fun but play their roles and stick to the structures at the same time.

“I’m really focused on showing good leadership on and off the field all year to put my hand up for the leadership group down the track. It’s a big motivation.’’

Jan 9, 2009
Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Love this quote from Robbo: “I’m really focused on showing good leadership on and off the field all year to put my hand up for the leadership group down the track. It’s a big motivation.’’ I stated when DBeams and Merrett got promoted into the leadership group that I wouldn't be surprised if Mitch Robinson is in there in the future. I reckon Leppa and Co. are waiting to see if he can maintain his 2015 form on field and his 2015 professionalism in 2016 and if he does he will be in the leadership group come 2017. Plus if Merrett retires we will need Robbo in there to fill the red head quota in the leadership group:D

Jan 9, 2009
Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
It truly has been a remarkable turnaround. He was a bad influence off field and a fringe player on field at the Blues and he has come up to the Lions and turned into the ultimate professional/family man off field and a gun on field. All credit to him for turning his life around and you can tell he genuinely loves the club:thumbsu:

Unlucky for the Blues. It was a lose lose for them. It was getting kicked out and having to move interstate for that 2nd chance that gave him the wake up call and got him to where he is. If the Blues didn't turf him, he would have had the same problems.

Family First For Robbo

Mitch Robinson is putting fatherhood in front of football and will miss Sunday's NAB Challenge game to stay home with fiancé Emma, who is expected to give birth any day.

It will be the couple's second child (they have an almost two-year-old son Chance).

Robinson was named in the Brisbane Lions' squad to take on St Kilda in Mackay, but will not make the trip north.

He trained on Friday at Coorparoo but left his phone with coaching staff in case any news came to hand.

Back