Draft Profile Mitch Thorp

Remove this Banner Ad

I think he will get another chance. He is having a ripper year for South Launceston.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/fo...t-an-afl-career/story-fnelctok-1226684649930#

The 24-year-old playing-coach of South Launceston has booted 52 majors in 13 games to catch the attention of recruiters.

Western Bulldogs are believed to be closely watching him, while Adelaide, Brisbane Lions, Carlton and St Kilda are also looking to add attacking marking options.

Thorp said he was playing mainly midfield but could be suited to a hard-running high half forward role if given another AFL chance.

"My strength is my endurance. I can run all day and take some pretty solid marks, but play where the team needs me more than anything," he said.

He should get another chance. I personally hope we give him one.

Tom Lee looks a mile off from the wafl, tas state league to afl is obviously a much bigger leap than that. No way he would be anywhere near afl fitness.

Tom Lee looks a mile off from the wafl, tas state league to afl is obviously a much bigger leap than that. No way he would be anywhere near afl fitness.

Probably why they do pre seasons and the like before the season to get your fitness to an AFL level.

Thomas Lee looks to be a very good player and will be better again next season.

It's not like Thorp has been playing as a KPF. Been playing as a midfielder. His endurance is very good.
He will probably take a year to adjust but should do pretty well.

Mitch Thorp gets a lot of undeserved flak for his footballing skills. He's certainly good enough for AFL level but was too harshly critisised becuase of the pick he was taken at. Fault of Hawthorn, not him.

It's not like Thorp has been playing as a KPF. Been playing as a midfielder. His endurance is very good.
He will probably take a year to adjust but should do pretty well.
It's not as much the endurance (Stuart Dew was back to "acceptable" after one decent pre-season) but reaction time/proprioception that is taxed far less at lower leagues.

Whoever picks him up will surely do their due dilligence given he may well come cheap - his attitude adjustment would want to have been fairly large given everything I have heard about his time at Hawthorn. It wasn't lack of talent that led to his delisting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mitch Thorp gets a lot of undeserved flak for his footballing skills. He's certainly good enough for AFL level but was too harshly critisised becuase of the pick he was taken at. Fault of Hawthorn, not him.

Are you kidding me! Hawthorn gave him every chance. His AFL comparison as a 17 year old was Pavlich and he came to the club with huge wraps and an even bigger ego. He was even quoted as saying that he is going to make centre half forward his own even though they had 2 20 year olds called Buddy and Roughy running around. This was on the eve of his debut. By all reports he was hated at the club and didn't put in the hard yards. To be a top 10 pick and delisted after 2 years with a year to run on your contract you must be an A grade F wit! The only fault I have of Hawthorn is the recruiting process and how they didn't pick up on his douchebaggery! Same goes with Dowler and his confidence issues and shyness. Thanks Pelican:mad:

Are you kidding me! Hawthorn gave him every chance. His AFL comparison as a 17 year old was Pavlich and he came to the club with huge wraps and an even bigger ego. He was even quoted as saying that he is going to make centre half forward his own even though they had 2 20 year olds called Buddy and Roughy running around. This was on the eve of his debut. By all reports he was hated at the club and didn't put in the hard yards. To be a top 10 pick and delisted after 2 years with a year to run on your contract you must be an A grade F wit! The only fault I have of Hawthorn is the recruiting process and how they didn't pick up on his douchebaggery! Same goes with Dowler and his confidence issues and shyness. Thanks Pelican:mad:

I think you minsunderstood me. I meant the flak he copped for his footballing skills. He was a dick at Hawthorn, no doubt.

Reckon he will at least get a few interviews with some clubs. Could see him being given a go on the rookie list at the bare minimum, certainly a few clubs in need of KPF options.

Could have been a star if he wasn't a dickhead, had proper attitude and maybe a bit of luck on the injury side. The first two are variables that he can control and if he has sorted them out then I think he would be worth a punt for a side needing a tall.

The comp down here is of a ridicliously bad standard, wouldn't read anything into "dominating Tasmanian State League". 4-8 teams outside the state league would beat half the teams in the state league

Freo are looking for a tall foward. I think he can do some damage at Freo

Yes please

The comp down here is of a ridicliously bad standard, wouldn't read anything into "dominating Tasmanian State League". 4-8 teams outside the state league would beat half the teams in the state league

He dominated the TSL vs NEAFL state game, which gives him a bit more cred.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back