Draft Profile Mitch Thorp

Remove this Banner Ad

You said "ideal" though; and ideally Everitt and/or Docherty along with some further improvement from Touhy, would allow for Walker to move forward without detracting from defense too greatly.

Similarly, Watson would "ideally" continue his improvement as a defender, of which he made great strides IMO at the backend of last season, along with McInnes who showed good things before doing his ACL in 2012 and after his comeback in 2013; and between them, would allow Henderson to move forward more permanently without leaving anything horribly undermanned. This happened last year anyway and while the defense wasn't as strong, it certainly wasn't as extreme as you're proposing.

So, you asked for an ideal situation and this is what I provided you. Like most teams not in the top 4, Carlton will require a few players to improve and outcomes to lean a certain way to deliver their best. If they can pull that off, they'll provide a much more soundly structured team than many expect.

Definitely respect your thoughts mate, i certainly think your list has improved over the off season.

I rate Carlton and think they can certainly improve on there finish from last season.

I feel sorry for Thorp. I thought he did enough to get drafted.

Always going to be tough playing in a Tassie side. Also think his role hurt his chances. Probably needs to play VFL/SANFL/WAFL...however with a young family whether he will do that, I don't know

Is there much difference between Tassie under 18's playing 5 or 6 games, and the rest in the Tassie State League. It didn't stop 7 tassie players being drafted. I doubt it's a matter of Tassie state footy.

Is there much difference between Tassie under 18's playing 5 or 6 games, and the rest in the Tassie State League. It didn't stop 7 tassie players being drafted. I doubt it's a matter of Tassie state footy.

Obviously there is, and the fact is at 18 you have limited ways and generally play close to home. Thorp is different, has failed in the system before, so he needs to show he is better worth than 60 odd u18 footballers. Can't do that in Tassie!

Club didn't pick a back up KPP in the draft. We must rate our depth talls as better players than Joel Tippett and the rest. Passed with two picks in the PSD.

Nothing to do with where they rate someone. Everything to do with allowing for injuries. If Giles doesn't play seniors this year as a KPP, it will take 3 talls injured at the same time for White or McInnes to play KPP. Having said that, they now have Wood for Hampson albeit not able to go forward, Giles for Mitchell and probably consider Everitt to replace McCarthy. Talent wise we don't lose much but versatility wise we might. We will be hoping we don't have 2012 level injuries that's for sure.

Its not comparable at all.

Why isn't comparable - You've got 18 year olds in Tassie, playing 5 or 6 champinship games, and in the seniors or reserves in the Tassie State League as they don't have a TAC Cup in Tassie. Where else are these 18 year olds going to play footy.

VFL/SANFL...especially in Thorp's case where he isn't 18

Older guys have been recruited from the TSL - Howe comes to mind. The point is Thorpe didn't miss out because he played footy in Tasmania.

Older guys have been recruited from the TSL - Howe comes to mind. The point is Thorpe didn't miss out because he played footy in Tasmania.

Howe is the exception rather than the norm. For every Howe there are 1000 others that don't. Doesn't help when you play in a poor league. I would have punted on Thorp but I can see why clubs said no.

Why isn't comparable - You've got 18 year olds in Tassie, playing 5 or 6 champinship games, and in the seniors or reserves in the Tassie State League as they don't have a TAC Cup in Tassie. Where else are these 18 year olds going to play footy.
You are drafting 18 year olds not just on the basis of exposed form in the TSL, WAFL, SANFL etc but on the basis of what they have displayed for a number of years at junior level & also on what you believe they can achieve in an AFL club's system. With Thorp, AFL clubs probably have almost a decade of data on him, including what he has done within the AFL system & one breakout season in a lesser competition is clearly not enough for recruiters to believe he can prosper at an AFL club.

I agree with bombersno1 in that Thorp would be best served to be playing in the VFL/SANFL (preferably the SANFL at this stage) if he wants another crack at AFL footy. I believe he would need to kick well in excess of 100 goals in a season in the TSL before recruiters would really take notice of him.

You are drafting 18 year olds not just on the basis of exposed form in the TSL, WAFL, SANFL etc but on the basis of what they have displayed for a number of years at junior level & also on what you believe they can achieve in an AFL club's system. With Thorp, AFL clubs probably have almost a decade of data on him, including what he has done within the AFL system & one breakout season in a lesser competition is clearly not enough for recruiters to believe he can prosper at an AFL club.

I agree with bombersno1 in that Thorp would be best served to be playing in the VFL/SANFL (preferably the SANFL at this stage) if he wants another crack at AFL footy. I believe he would need to kick well in excess of 100 goals in a season in the TSL before recruiters would really take notice of him.

I take your point - But what I am saying is that Thorp missed out on being drafted ,because he wasn't considered worthy by AFL recruiters, not because he played in the Tassie State league. As an example Essendon rookied a guy who played in the NEAFL.

I take your point - But what I am saying is that Thorp missed out on being drafted ,because he wasn't considered worthy by AFL recruiters, not because he played in the Tassie State league. As an example Essendon rookied a guy who played in the NEAFL.
Playing in the TSL, by itself, would not have been the reason Thorp wasn't drafted, but a 70+ goal season in the TSL would not be given the same weighting by recruiters as a similar performance in the VFL or SANFL.

Naturally enough other factors do come into play. I have no doubt recruiters would have spoken to people at Thorp's club & others around the TSL to get an idea on where Thorp is at overall (as well as taking into account their own observations) & one can only surmise the feedback wasn't strong enough in Thorp's favor.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It may be harder to get a look in if you play in Tassie, but it is not impossible. There have been enough guys under consideration who played in Tassie, even if the number isn't high.
No, the issue was Thorp himself. He may have improved a lot from the arrogant kid he was a Hawthorn, but there have been incidents off the field that have put people off and now some rumours suggesting he had a significant role in the problems at South Launceston. I don't know if anything on that front is anything more than a rumour, but Thorp needed to impress recruiters with his maturity and will to succeed. Off field issues do not impress recruiters, whether they are real or not. Just ask Dayle Garlett this time last year.
At this point Thorp would probably be best to play SANFL, WAFL or VFL: a fresh start and a positive attitude would do him the world of good.

At this point Thorp would probably be best to play SANFL, WAFL or VFL: a fresh start and a positive attitude would do him the world of good.

Will be coaching Prospect next year, a new club in the competition replacing South Launceston ( 2013 premiers) although most of the South Launceston players are going as well.

Will be coaching Prospect next year, a new club in the competition replacing South Launceston ( 2013 premiers) although most of the South Launceston players are going as well.
I have heard some rumours about that which are not good reading, but I do NOT claim first hand knowledge. However, if any portion of these rumours are remotely accurate, then no AFL club would want anything to do with him. I'll leave it at that: I don't have enough information to make assertions which could have legal consequences. On the other hand, most AFL clubs probably are aware of the rumours and any truth that may or may not exist in them.

It may be harder to get a look in if you play in Tassie, but it is not impossible. There have been enough guys under consideration who played in Tassie, even if the number isn't high.
No, the issue was Thorp himself. He may have improved a lot from the arrogant kid he was a Hawthorn, but there have been incidents off the field that have put people off and now some rumours suggesting he had a significant role in the problems at South Launceston. I don't know if anything on that front is anything more than a rumour, but Thorp needed to impress recruiters with his maturity and will to succeed. Off field issues do not impress recruiters, whether they are real or not. Just ask Dayle Garlett this time last year.

Good post.

That's my point - There must have been issues - As AFL recruiters are experienced enough to analyse talent across different comps. A move to another State league could help, especially if there is off-field issues.

Looks like he took your advice:
http://www.glenelgfc.com.au/news/latest-news
GLENELG SIGNS Mitch Thorp

The Glenelg Football Club is thrilled to announce the signing of former Hawthorn and Tasmanian forward, Mitch Thorp...

Thorp, who spent three seasons on Hawthorn’s list, has agreed to a two-year contract after spending two seasons as a player/coach of South Launceston, in the Tasmanian State League

I was hugely surprised, as he was going to be the Captain Coach of the new team that is taking over South Launceston.

Well, now he has made the move, I hope he can get a few kicks and a few goals: Glenelg need some talent firing after the last couple of seasons. He could be the difference between success and failure for Nick Stevens as a senior coach.

Well, now he has made the move, I hope he can get a few kicks and a few goals: Glenelg need some talent firing after the last couple of seasons. He could be the difference between success and failure for Nick Stevens as a senior coach.
They've added Clinton Alleway, Sam Lonergan, Nathan Stark, Josh Scott from Stevens's Gippsland Falcons, Patrick McCarthy and Aaron Joseph.

They've added Clinton Alleway, Sam Lonergan, Nathan Stark, Josh Scott from Stevens's Gippsland Falcons, Patrick McCarthy and Aaron Joseph.

That's not bad recruiting for a single offseason.

Glenelg have tried hard to get an influx of talent: not so easy with their present structure, but they have done as well as they could. Most of their recruits should be pretty good at SANFL level, but Thorp could be the one to make or break Glenelg.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back