Delisted Mitchell Golby (2009-2015)

Remove this Banner Ad

Pick 16 in the 2009 Rookie Draft

golby.jpg

Twitter

Summary:

* recovering from torn ACL when drafted (#7)
* further knee surgery (#20)
* 2010 review (#25)
* 27 man Queensland squad (#57)
* elevated to senior list (#60)
* debut: round 12 vs Carlton (#62)
* 2011 review (#88)
* promoted to senior list (#91)
* round 8 rising star nomination (#158)
* 2012 review (#212)

Contract status: seeking official word

Merrett-Murray Medal results:

2010: -
2011: =27th (3.5 votes)
2012: 14 votes

Coach's votes:

Tribunal record:

Mitchell Golby

Height:
183cm
Weight: 82kg
DOB: 03/10/91
Recruited from: Gippsland Power

Bio: Attacking defender who likes to run and create from defensive 50. Can also shut down dangerous opponents when required. Defensive pressure is a feature of his game.

From afl.com.au draft profiles.

golby.jpg

In his own words

What type of player are you?
An attacking defender that links up and can also play on the ball.

Which AFL player do you most resemble and why?
A cross between Nick Dal Santo and Lindsay Gilbee. Dal Santo because of his neat, left-foot kick and Gilbee because of his run and ability to create from defence.

What are your strengths as a footballer?
Reading the play, running and carrying the ball, doing the one per centers and my long kicking.

What parts of your game would you like to improve?
My skills on my non-preferred side, along with all other areas to try to get my ability to AFL standard.

Which AFL team do you support and how did you come to barrack for them?
Richmond. My Dad barracked for them and I’ve always followed them, too.

Who has been the biggest influence on your career so far and why?
My parents. With their support they have made my dreams of playing AFL more achievable.

Phantom Drafts:

Quigley (National)

Pick 69 – COLLINGWOOD

Here I have Collingwood going with a guy who has disappeared off the radar a bit because of injury. He seemed to be really coming on early in the year and Collingwood are a team that can afford to stash him and see what develops.

Mitch Golby (Gippsland, VIC)
Height: 183, Weight: 82, DOB: 3/10/91

Has been a bit of the forgotten man as he has very much been out of sight out of mind. He suffered a knee injury in a Vic Country practice match and he has disappeared off a lot of people’s radars. I think he is going to end up a very nice late round or perhaps rookie selection for an astute drafting team. He is a powerfully built player who is likely to start his career as a half back where he was pegged to play for Vic Country. It is worth noting that he also played through the midfield for Gippsland although more as an outside player rather than an inside player. When playing further up the park he a definite goal scoring threat who delivers into the forward 50 very well. His kicking is his strength and he has a very strong leg for a young player. His accuracy is good and he weights his passes well. He is a left footer who is solid on his right although his technique looks a little awkward on the right. He has a bit of a crouched approach when kicking for goal but he seems to maintain reasonable balance and kicks through the ball well. He will kick them from 50. With the lay off his skin folds are very high and he will come into a team who takes the risk on him way out of shape. Word is he should be right to go for the start of next year but it is going to take him some time to get into playing shape. Turning up in Dew like shape is going to cause more than a few teams to question his dedication and he certainly has done himself no favours in this regard. When fit he is a reasonable mover and seems to have okay pace. He reads the play well and is solid overhead. It is a bit of a shame he did his knee when he did as he was in good form and could have made quite an impression on the Champs and the draft.

Offsider (Rookie)

Pick 32: Brisbane Lions – Mitch Golby
Height: 183cm - Weight: 81kg - DOB: 18
Club: Gippsland Power (VIC)
Mitch has been linked to the Lions and was in contention for one of our later picks apparently, and I rate him highly yet for mine he is probably just your run of the mill HBF and could do with adding some more to his game, and possibly finding a bit more X-factor. His kicking is very good, he has a lovely long left foot capable of kicking 50m with great accuracy, his right foot is average, and only good over short distances. He is quick enough yet not exceptionally pacey, and he is fairly agile, but his endurance appears to be just average and will need to improve he could play potentially on the wing, but would need to improve his inside game. He is fairly good defensively he can spoil all right and he appears to be a good tackler, his hands are good in the contests and he appears to be one-touch. Golby appears to be a solid player who should definitely get rookie IMO.

Official (rookie)

59 Mitchell Golby (Gippsland Power)
183/82 rebounding defender/outside midfielder that is maturely built, runs hard, carries the ball, takes the game on, reads the play well and accumulates plenty of possessions, gets good penetration with his left foot kicking with decent control and provides sound defensive pressure.
Probably needs to work most on developing a right foot (seems very one-sided) and improving his composure under pressure.
Averaged 23D, 8M and 1G from 5 games @ TAC Cup level in 2009. Sustained an ACL injury in the lead-up to the 2009 U18 championships - IIRC in one of the VC trial games. Was a Vic SS invite. Rated as a top 25 prospect in the pre-season 2009 AFL Prospectus.

Snoop Dog (Rookie)

52 Sydney Mitch Golby / Gippsland / 183 / 81

Hard running mid from Gippy who has pace and good execution – particularly his left foot which is pretty penetrating. Typically plays HB but I think he would make a natural wingman. In some ways has a similar style to Wellingham.

roo2macca (Rookie)

#26 Sydney: Mitchell Golby (Gippsland Power) Height: 183cm Weight: 82kg D.O.B: 03/10/91
Golby is an attack defender who likes to run and create. His main strengths are his run and carry and the good ability to do the one percenters. Yet again, the best available for the Swans.

And Burgan was spot on in predicting he would go at pick 16 to the Lions.

Brisbane head recruiter Graeme Hadley

"There's no doubt he would have been in the Vic Country 18s but for his untimely injury - he did his ACL in a trial game out at Vic Park.

"I think he can certainly play half-forward and he can certainly play midfield, but he's basically this year had some very good run-with roles for Gippsland before his injury.

"Our Victorian team took note of him last year, but it was really in that trial game that we all stood to attention because he was in absolutely ripping form for just a short period and it did provide confirmation to all of the trial evidence that we had."

Link
06/05/2009

Midfielder Mitch Golby (31 and seven tackles) performed another sterling run-with role – this time against the Knights’ Kane Lambert (20) – and has been one of Gippsland’s most consistent contributors.

That article was posted on the 6th May. Anyone know when exactly Mitch inured his knee?

edit: link
27/05/2009

... while Russell Lehman is in contention to replace injured Gippsland star Mitch Golby.

So I'm guessing some time between 06/05/09 and 27/05/09

Golby could be a good supercoach player in future years. Championdata apparently listed him in their top 25 players for 2009.

Defenders

* Mitchell Golby – 181/74 – Neat left footer who reads the play well and racks up the possessions – Gippsland

Link
06/05/2009

That article was posted on the 6th May. Anyone know when exactly Mitch inured his knee?

edit: link
27/05/2009

So I'm guessing some time between 06/05/09 and 27/05/09
He Injured it during the pre-selection game (trail) for the country lads to make the Vic Country national side. Exact date I am unsure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Link

“I’m really excited Brisbane has given me this opportunity,” he said. “I want to play a really good year of football in their twos, if that’s the plan.
Hopefully, if I can get a good year together, I’ll get elevated into the seniors. I’ll take it from there.”
He said friends and family had shared in his excitement. Likewise, home club Kilcunda/Bass was revelling in the moment.
“My aunty’s the secretary of the club and I was with her when I found out. They’ve all wished me the best. That was really good,” he said.

golby.jpg

Mitch was the number one DT scoring player in the TAC last year from 5 games with an average of 109pts! :eek: :thumbsu:

ID NAME CLUB GMS KE KIE HE HIE CM UM T FF FA G B DT

Mitchell Golby Gippsland Power 5 8 7 6 2 7 0 6 1 1 0 0 109

Doesn't always mean much, but with a 7 contested marks and 6 tackles ave. this is good sign....

one of Gabbaman's favourites along with CB and some other recent recruits. Vossy you're a genius.

Paddlepop Lions Rule in 2010

I was quite surprised at the size of this guy when I saw him in the flesh. Going to be big when he grows up.

Anyone got any word on what he has done to it? I hope it isnt another Acl... Although did he do it before the game cos we still had 4 on the interchange?
His knee did look mighty red after the game...

Anyone got any word on what he has done to it? I hope it isnt another Acl... Although did he do it before the game cos we still had 4 on the interchange?
His knee did look mighty red after the game...

He did it during the game.

Teams have 5 men interchanges in the AFLQ.

2010 End of Season Review

Games - 0
Best and Fairest - n/a
Dreamteam - 0 points; $89,800 ($-)
Supercoach - 0 points; $95,400 ($-)

AFLQ stats

Games - 2
Goals - 0
Best (top 6) - 0

Link

Had his first season destroyed by injury. Overcame a full knee reconstruction and after just a handful of games in the AFLQ, injured the same knee and was forced to finish the season on the sideline.

golby.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back